Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens clothes

Options
  • 04-07-2012 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Womens input also welcome (if not preferred :pac: )

Where do the men of the gentlemen club buy their threads?

I've decided to do a complete overhaul of my wardrobe and get some clothes that fall out of the auld jeans and shirt category.

As I am completely useless at picking up my own clothes and pretty much always going for the safe option, what do you lads and lassies consider comfortable but also look the part on say a night out or a date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Jack and Jones, Next, H&M mostly, cant possibly accept paying a fortune for clothes .. even J&J are pricey, and there latest stock of jean's are just horrific ... but each to there own ..

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Thanks lads, id love to go to place that done a measure up like they do with suits so they fit perfectly, any of those places do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I only really shop in TK Maxx ( Not for everyone I know, but you can find some gems) and Urban Outfitters (Quite expensive but they have very good sales occasionally).

I just dislike the idea of wearing some mass-produced Topman/River Island identikit clothing...but each to their own :)

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    For "normal" clothes I'm not sure, I think the likes of House of Fraser have those guys that'll style you up and they'd presumably sort out your sizes but you'd be paying a premium I'd imagine.

Ah ok, I might pop in there and see what the Craic is. I'll report back with any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I dont know why but I am all about the River Island. Know a couple of girls working in my local one so I tend to like their input on my decisions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dunnes / Pennys. I'm cheap :o

Dunnes / Pennys. I'm cheap :o

Penny's have decent stuff sometimes, dunnes also, altho i find there stuff seems to wash weirdly, and go completely out of shape ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Penny's have decent stuff sometimes, dunnes also, altho i find there stuff seems to wash weirdly, and go completely out of shape ..

It's alright as long as I'm out of shape. :pac:

But yeah, they can have good stuff alright, sometimes it's hard to not be overwhelmed by Pennys trying to be designer-esque though. Dam some of their stuff can be blindingly bright.

It's alright as long as I'm out of shape. :pac:

But yeah, they can have good stuff alright, sometimes it's hard to not be overwhelmed by Pennys trying to be designer-esque though. Dam some of their stuff can be blindingly bright.

You're not out of shape iirc ...

Yea.... picked up two yellow t-shirts in pennies a few weeks back when it was sunny out ... bad mistake ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

In general i'd buy my clothes from:
    - Next
    - Tommy Hilfiger
    - Hollister
    - Marks & Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

- Next (Jeans, Jocks & the odd tee)
    - Topman (Mainly tees)
    - H&M (Plain tees & shirts, jeans too)
    - Pull & Bear (Hoodys - love them)
    - Urban Outfitters (Penguin tees, limited selection in Cork :( )

After that Pennys & Dunnes for plain tees, shorts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Always good to spend a bit , or what you can afford, on shoes. Jeans, I tend to try and buy a good pair if possible, though that might mean spending 80 quid or more. They will last. That is what I have found from experience. I used to buy Jack and Jones jeans, but the fit was never right, and they never lasted, seemed to tear really easily. Levis, I find last quite a while, though the crotch part wears first, I just get it patched up.
    I have a pair of Diesel jeans I must have gotten 3 or 4 years ago, and they are still in perfect nick. They cost me around 100 at the time, but they bloody well last and are good quality...
    Always on the lookout for a bargain though. If you know your size, then online can be a good way to go...
    Buy my jocks in Dunnes. I try to get some quirky shirts where possible.
    Nothing in River Island catches my eye at the mo, it's too trendy for my liking, though they are good for getting plain formal shirts, better than Zara I think. Zara can be hit or miss as can H&M....
    I want to get some nice polo shirts but can't understand why the good ones are so expensive, A&F 80 odd euro???!!! C'mon!!! Fred Perry, the same!! That's just too much!!
    Jackets, not sure.......

Have H&M done away with the men's section in dundrum ?

Have H&M done away with the men's section in dundrum ?
    Was there at the weekend - could be that you've gone into the womens one - the mens one is up a floor iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Gap is hard to beat imo - not the cheapest but they are fashionable (although not overly so), wash well and last for ages. they also generally have some sort of sale running all the time. beside the upstairs entrance to house of fraser in dundrum.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Was there at the weekend - could be that you've gone into the womens one - the mens one is up a floor iirc

hmm, i know it used to be down the stairs inside the shop, but i checked there and on the upper floor att he same level as yo sushi .. and no joy ...

hmm, i know it used to be down the stairs inside the shop, but i checked there and on the upper floor att he same level as yo sushi .. and no joy ...
    Weird...I know there's two H&Ms on different floors - don't know Dundrum too well though so open to correction but was in the mens section on Saturday so unless something drastic happened it should be there still.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Weird...I know there's two H&Ms on different floors - don't know Dundrum too well though so open to correction but was in the mens section on Saturday so unless something drastic happened it should be there still.
    hmmm interesting .... when you walk out of the men's floor what's out there ?

I've been to Dundrum about 3 times I'm afraid man - couldn't describe the place to you I just walk until I see a shop I like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just dont buy chinos or skinny jeans and you'll be grand. :D

garv123 wrote: »

Those aren't an option for me under any circumstances.:o

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Anyone else do their shopping online? Great selection, normally cheaper and you don't have to leave the house. Only problem is you can't be sure how it fits, but the vast majority of clothes I've bought have fitted very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

The older I've gotten, the more obsessed I've become with clothes. Used to live on Penneys stuff but all I'd buy there now is socks/jocks. Shocking to say it, but as lovely as the stuff is in H&M, I won't buy it because you end up looking identical to everyone else who shops in there! Penney's stuff in my size is always mis-shapen, don't mind the jeans but tops/ t-shirts etc., no thanks!

You can't go wrong with a decent pair of Levis, pricey but will last you forever. For footwear, a pair of Adiddas Sambas/ Gazelles. Top these off with a tidy polo shirt , be that Penguin, Lacoste, Fred Perry or Lyle & Scott. €220 or so for the lot, but no matter what age, shape or size you are, you'll always look whopper! ;)

Anyone else do their shopping online? Great selection, normally cheaper and you don't have to leave the house. Only problem is you can't be sure how it fits, but the vast majority of clothes I've bought have fitted very well.

That's the fear of online shopping for me, nothing like going in and trying before you buy!

I'd have no problem buying from a brand I know the fit of - i.e. when AIB introduce visa debit cards I'll be visiting Penguins website and purchasing some clothes that I know will fit based on buying them in stores at a higher price before.

I'm facing financial ruin :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

garv123 wrote: »

Skinny Jeans >>> Bootcut :D

Advertisement