Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 2013 Roll call

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

kingQuez wrote: »
    only 30 places left for lanzarote.. :D

Stoppit! I'm ok not doing one next year. I am. Really.

Frankfurt is still open too. *thinks*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Oryx wrote: »

Think of it as a sun holiday ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do Lanza and you get it over with in May.

Do Lanza and you get it over with in May.

Good point! Just the small matter of being completely broke, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Do FF and we can go on the piss after:)

Edit: Time for FF included. Missus said she wants to go to Hawaii next year so she said get the finger out. Need to stop swimming like a brick, push out another 30watts for IM effort and run about 20secs per km faster to be in a position to hit that time. Most importantly be able to finish a bloody race without incident!!
    Name|Event|Estimated Time|Actual Time
    Mloc123|IM Lanza| Finish|
    Jackyback|IM Frankfurt|9:15|
    Garydee|IM Austria|TBC|
    Tunney|IM Austria|9:29:59|

• Advertisement

Do FF and we can go on the piss after:)

Ah Jaysis your not making this easy. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sure do both, ye may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Jackyback -

Jeasus - your setting sights incredible high. You'd want to be able to run sub 3 hour marathon on a weekly basis (you wouldn't be doing that distance - but you'd have to be confident of doing it) and that on top of all the rest of the training.

If your going for that time - Run Dublin marathon - go sub 3 comfortable (don't really taper for it) and build from there.

Otherwise - your kind of shooting from the dark.

9.15 would be a top top time to aim for but you'd need serious form going into it and be finishing top 3 in many tri ire races if not winning. You need form..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Rob Cummins from Wheelworx went 10.28 in IMUK yesterday coming 8th in his age group. Think he came around 5th last year. Whats astonishing is 3rd or 4th place to 8th finished within 3 mins of each other. Heartbreaking to come so close again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Rob Cummins from Wheelworx went 10.28 in IMUK yesterday coming 8th in his age group. Think he came around 5th last year. Whats astonishing is 3rd or 4th place to 8th finished within 3 mins of each other. Heartbreaking to come so close again.

Wrong thread Bryan - should be in the 2012 thread.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Wrong thread Bryan - should be in the 2012 thread.

My bad Dave..saw ironman and thought i was in right thread.....too early need caffeine.

HalfTri wrote: »
    Jackyback -

Jeasus - your setting sights incredible high.

Yes very high and there is nothing wrong with that. When you are someone as half mad and as committed as i am to put the work in anything is possible. I have even more hunger and drive after what happened to me in Roth now that the dust has settled.
    The other thing you need to remember as each season goes on the gains from the previous year are in the bank. My starting position on swim (lesser extent) bike and run are much further down the road than when i set out training for Roth in Oct11 than it will be in Oct12. 50watts on the bike and 40secs per km on the run improvements, facts & stats do not lie (would be nice to have it backed up in a race though) . Yes the rate of gains will start to slow but to have those improvements in the bank is a huge plus.
    So back to your point yes my sights are set incredibly high. Its the time needed to get a slot in Kona. Whilst Kona is/has been a 5yr plan if i can get there 2 or 3 years earlier than so be it. Any IM race i do in the next few years will have one common goal, to gain a Kona slot.
    You'd want to be able to run sub 3 hour marathon on a weekly basis (you wouldn't be doing that distance - but you'd have to be confident of doing it) and that on top of all the rest of the training.

If your going for that time - Run Dublin marathon - go sub 3 comfortable (don't really taper for it) and build from there.

I actually need to be in better shape than sub 3 come next year as i would need to able to run close to sub 3 off the bike. My earlier comment of getting my easy pace down by 20secs per km still stands. That would have me running at sub 3 pace for easy effort, most of my long runs fell around the 4.25 to 4.30km pace for lead up to Roth.
    Running sub 3 in DCM would tell me nothing and besides i will be putting in some work with some meaty sessions throughout the Winter to get the sort of gains i need.
    9.15 would be a top top time to aim for but you'd need serious form going into it and be finishing top 3 in many tri ire races if not winning. You need form..

9.15 is a huge ask and yes a top time. I sort of disagree with the top 3 aspect. A top 3 finish in a sprint in IRE is not going to tell me much for FF, different work all together. Would you have the same concerns/doubts if i posted a 9.50 in Roth? probably not.
    To some extent whilst i have done the training i have not had luck come race day. I hope to put this right very soon, i can do as much talking as i like but unless i do what i know/coach knows i am capable of in a race then anything i say can easily be taken with a pinch of salt and more than likely will.

Yes very high and there is nothing wrong with that. When you are someone as half mad and as committed as i am to put the work in anything is possible. I have even more hunger and drive after what happened to me in Roth now that the dust has settled.
    The other thing you need to remember as each season goes on the gains from the previous year are in the bank. My starting position on swim (lesser extent) bike and run are much further down the road than when i set out training for Roth in Oct11 than it will be in Oct12. 50watts on the bike and 40secs per km on the run improvements, facts & stats do not lie (would be nice to have it backed up in a race though) . Yes the rate of gains will start to slow but to have those improvements in the bank is a huge plus.
    So back to your point yes my sights are set incredibly high. Its the time needed to get a slot in Kona. Whilst Kona is/has been a 5yr plan if i can get there 2 or 3 years earlier than so be it. Any IM race i do in the next few years will have one common goal, to gain a Kona slot.

I actually need to be in better shape than sub 3 come next year as i would need to able to run close to sub 3 off the bike. My earlier comment of getting my easy pace down by 20secs per km still stands. That would have me running at sub 3 pace for easy effort, most of my long runs fell around the 4.25 to 4.30km pace for lead up to Roth.
    Running sub 3 in DCM would tell me nothing and besides i will be putting in some work with some meaty sessions throughout the Winter to get the sort of gains i need.

9.15 is a huge ask and yes a top time. I sort of disagree with the top 3 aspect. A top 3 finish in a sprint in IRE is not going to tell me much for FF, different work all together. Would you have the same concerns/doubts if i posted a 9.50 in Roth? probably not.
    To some extent whilst i have done the training i have not had luck come race day. I hope to put this right very soon, i can do as much talking as i like but unless i do what i know/coach knows i am capable of in a race then anything i say can easily be taken with a pinch of salt and more than likely will.

IMHO I believe you are e putting massive pressure on yourself. There is nothing wrong with aiming very high and i respect you for that. I really respect your dedication. U have 4 kids and work full time. . But 9.15 is Owen Martin.LCD..Mat molloy territory and they didnt get were they were at in a very short period of time. Would be interested to hear other coaches/boardsies opinions on whether they think it is physically possible to do so? I just cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Would be interested to hear other coaches/boardsies opinions on whether they think it is physically possible to do so? I just cant see it.

Hard to make any type of call on this, injury or illness struck on the two main indicators of his progress, Roth and Athy. If its all about qualifying for Kona though Jacky why not go for Wales or Bolton, I see Cummins got in on 10.28 which seems much more manageable than a 9.15

Although it was only a roll down ;)

IMHO I believe you are e putting massive pressure on yourself. There is nothing wrong with aiming very high and i respect you for that. I really respect your dedication. U have 4 kids and work full time. . But 9.15 is Owen Martin.LCD..Mat molloy territory and they didnt get were they were at in a very short period of time. Would be interested to hear other coaches/boardsies opinions on whether they think it is physically possible to do so? I just cant see it.

People have gone 7:5x so one could say that "obviously 9:15 is possible"

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

catweazle wrote: »
    Hard to make any type of call on this, injury or illness struck on the two main indicators of his progress, Roth and Athy. If its all about qualifying for Kona though Jacky why not go for Wales or Bolton, I see Cummins got in on 10.28 which seems much more manageable than a 9.15

You can't compare times like that, courses are completely different. The UK races produce bike splits that appear 20-30 minutes slower than (some) european races, pros included. I haven't done any close examination mind..

As for it being a roll down (by one place), so what :-) I'm definitely in the camp that believes that if you put yourself in the position to collect a slot at the awards ceremony, then you've earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I would never dare to dissuade someone from shooting from the stars. Is 9:15 possible in FF for JB next year? Hypothetically anything is possible. JB could despite all the obstacles of an AGer do it. It would require immaculate training and prep, execution and a slice of luck. JB could hit 9:15 shape but it becomes a 9:40 due to non wetsuit swim, bike on slippy roofs after thunderstorm etc... The 9:40 could still be a performance relative of 9:15 on another day.

Realistically? Evidence weighs against the chances. Firstly Coach. Having one is a sure fire way to give it your best shot. As long as you subscribe to the programme and not do silly stuff again like over doing sessions etc.. Id have faith in the Coach too although this is new territory for him also.

Next indicators. A 9:15 will need at worst an hour swim. Ok OM doesn't have the best swim and could hit a 9:15 of a 70 swim. However he can run a 3 hour marathon off a sub 5 bike. I absolutely believe JB like others have the potential to do this but it would take longer than 2 seasons to build that endurance and stamina.

Next a 4:50 - 5 bike. This I think is doable.

Then run 3 - 3:10 off it! Id imagine to do this you would have to be in 4:40 and/or 2:45 standalone bike run shape.

Basically I think it possible but very very ambitious.

I would like to know what the rationale is for 9:15? Also if the mark was achieved and it resulted in a rolldown slot offer, would you take it? After the sacrifice and discipline it will take to get the?

I do commend the ambition and guts to call it out at this stage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I think it's a savage goal to set and it takes balls to lay it out here. I would be looking at it from a family point of view with 3 young lads myself. I think it would mean giving up the family for a year and that's time that cannot be gotten back. I've only been training for a half and the time it takes does definitely affect family life.

Best of luck on whatever decision you take though. You seem single minded and determined enough to reach Kona, so I guess you'll be aiming for it.

I definitely wouldn't mind a snipping off your money tree though, things are getting lean here in the west.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I think it's a savage goal to set and it takes balls to lay it out here. I would be looking at it from a family point of view with 3 young lads myself. I think it would mean giving up the family for a year and that's time that cannot be gotten back. I've only been training for a half and the time it takes does definitely affect family life.

Best of luck on whatever decision you take though. You seem single minded and determined enough to reach Kona, so I guess you'll be aiming for it.

I definitely wouldn't mind a snipping off you money tree though, things are getting lean here in the west.

I know JB and while I have never had the pleasure of meeting his taller half I've heard enough to know she is alot like Glenda - and if she has told him he needs to do the work to go to Kona then he better do it and will get the support to do it.

Next indicators. A 9:15 will need at worst an hour swim. Ok OM doesn't have the best swim and could hit a 9:15 of a 70 swim. However he can run a 3 hour marathon off a sub 5 bike. I absolutely believe JB like others have the potential to do this but it would take longer than 2 seasons to build that endurance and stamina.

Thats my point. I am not doubting that JB can do it. He has the dedication. Many people with the dedication and drive could do it. I just think to do it within 2 years is not physically possible to make that progress.
    PS unless he is quitting work..moving to Switzerland and joining up with sutto for the next 12 months. JB ?? :)

• Advertisement

I know JB and while I have never had the pleasure of meeting his taller half I've heard enough to know she is alot like Glenda - and if she has told him he needs to do the work to go to Kona then he better do it and will get the support to do it.

Have you many kids? I don't doubt he has a supportive wife but kids grow up very quickly and they couldn't care less about a Kona slot, all they want is to play with daddy. I would guess that aiming for that time would basically mean every minute not taken up by work would involve training. It's a huge commitment and an astronomical feat off if it is achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Running sub 3 in DCM would tell me nothing and besides i will be putting in some work with some meaty sessions throughout the Winter to getthe sort of gains i need.

Actually Lillianna Poor Sauna - running a sub 3 Dublin would be good for you. Twould give you confidence number 1. Running a 3.30 marathon would actually be a waste of time. 8 minute miles... Lad - in training you should be going sub 7 not to mind the marathon..

No denying you haven't got good training done. But your results aren't matching and aren't near matching yet.

If your going for 9.15 you'll be v close to top 3 in a lot of Ireland tris.

Could Tunney go sub 9.15 - yep - no argument. And maybe better. Just needs a long holiday!

Aim for Dublin marathon or end of year half ironman. Even if you take them handy you should still do v good times if aiming for 9-15 form. And there is a lot to gain from them - believe it or not. But running 3-30 Dublin is pointless.. Seriously

I should really keep goals to myself in future.
    IMHO I believe you are e putting massive pressure on yourself. I just cant see it.

Pressure is for tyres Bryan. Its good that you cannot see it, sure how could you.

I will never race in UKIM or Wales they lack the big race feel. They race slower than FF and as far as i know he is racing a different AG. I agree i could be talking utter b0llix until i prove it in a race.
    speedyj wrote: »
    You can't compare times like that, courses are completely different. The UK races produce bike splits that appear 20-30 minutes slower than (some) european races, pros included. I haven't done any close examination mind..

As for it being a roll down (by one place), so what :-) I'm definitely in the camp that believes that if you put yourself in the position to collect a slot at the awards ceremony, then you've earned it.

Yeah times off by 30mins.
    JB could hit 9:15 shape but it becomes a 9:40 due to non wetsuit swim, bike on slippy roofs after thunderstorm etc... The 9:40 could still be a performance relative of 9:15 on another day.

Realistically? Evidence weighs against the chances. Firstly Coach. Having one is a sure fire way to give it your best shot. As long as you subscribe to the programme and not do silly stuff again like over doing sessions etc.. Id have faith in the Coach too although this is new territory for him also.

Then run 3 - 3:10 off it! Id imagine to do this you would have to be in 4:40 and/or 2:45 standalone bike run shape.

I would like to know what the rationale is for 9:15? Also if the mark was achieved and it resulted in a rolldown slot offer, would you take it? After the sacrifice and discipline it will take to get the?

Mike, point 1 is valid a 9.15 could well turn into a bigger time depending on n/w and conditions but it could still merit a slot as everyone has to race the same conditions.

Point 2 i am not sure if i am misreading it but "As long as you subscribe to the programme and not do silly stuff again like over doing sessions etc.. Id have faith in the Coach too although this is new territory for him also" I pretty much stuck exactly to the plan set out for this year:confused: Having worked with coach i would not be sticking with him another season if i did not have faith that he can deliver me and in shape for that sort of time next year. I probably am making his work more difficult by putting the goal out there so openly.

Point 3 i will never be a sub 60 swimmer but i do need to be a sub 1:10 swimmer and prepare for a n/w swim. As you say the bike will need to be under sub 5 and a strong 3hr marathon.

Finally why 9:15 if you look at the results from last year in FF its a Kona slot without relying on anyone elses race.

I definitely wouldn't mind a snipping off your money tree though, things are getting lean here in the west.

Do you know me, know my setup, know my support structure:confused: Sorry to sound dismissive to your post but comparing yourself to me when you don't what my setup is and the comment of "it would mean giving up the family for a year and that's time that cannot be gotten back" is off the wall. Do you really think myself or my wife would be so supportive if she even thought that was the case. Time management is what is all about and not falling asleep and being a **** father after a long early bike on a Saturday morning when you get back.
    Money tree, i work darn hard for it too you need to with 4 kids:)
    Looks like we are fortunate enough to have one of a lucky few. The key thing people overlook that triathlon is a lifestyle change and very much a huge change in direction to what i done in previous years. I am a better person, husband and father since taking this up.
    Without the support i would not be attempting what i am trying to do.
    I just think to do it within 2 years is not physically possible to make that progress.
    PS unless he is quitting work..moving to Switzerland and joining up with sutto for the next 12 months. JB ?? :)
    Next year will actually be my third year in tri (year 2 of Kona plan though)
    Have you many kids? I don't doubt he has a supportive wife but kids grow up very quickly and they couldn't care less about a Kona slot, all they want is to play with daddy. I would guess that aiming for that time would basically mean every minute not taken up by work would involve training. It's a huge commitment and an astronomical feat off if it is achieved.

4 kids and they love me dearly, love me training and love me racing (especially the 2nd eldest) My eldest two know what i am attempting to do, the eldest probably is the only one who really understands. Its not all about volume and time, smart and focussed training will get the gains required.
    Actually jackyback - running a sub 3 Dublin would be good for you. Twould give you confidence number 1. Running a 3.30 marathon would actually be a waste of time. 8 minute miles... Lad - in training you should be going sub 7 not to mind the marathon..

No denying you haven't got good training done. But your results aren't matching and aren't near matching yet.

Could Tunney go sub 9.15 - yep - no argument. And maybe better. Just needs a long holiday!

Aim for Dublin marathon or end of year half ironman. Even if you take them handy you should still do v good times if aiming for 9-15 form. And there is a lot to gain from them - believe it or not. But running 3-30 Dublin is pointless.. Seriously

I agree 3:30 will do nothing in the grand scheme of things apart from a long easy run. Why am i doing it i have other interests outside of my own goal and given the timing of DCM at the start of my own preparation it allows me to do a pacing job and something i enjoyed doing last year. Given the year i have had i need enjoyment even if it is only pacing. I also have 40 people in my run club who i am coaching for DCM with a large portion doing sub 3:30 so i am helping them out, again something i want and enjoy doing.
    I have a half iron lined up in Lost Sheep and will close out the season with something that will take the taint off the season somewhat.

I sometimes wonder is it better to be the guy who puts his goals out there in the open to be dissected or to be the guy getting it done quitely. Starting to think the later might be the better option:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did you not expect comments? Nothing about you as a person, father etc coming into question. Don't ever feel you have to justify that. I thought about your goal objectively. I work with clients on goal setting a lot. As I said I certainly would not dismiss them. Ever. What we know of you is what you publish in your log and produce on race day. Even if you had hit 9:50 at Roth it would still be a big jump to 9:15. Given your family, job, injury leading up to Roth, Dnfs, fade in barca etc.. You will obviously need everything going your way. I hope it does.

The point I made about sticking to the plan is a point I made in your log a while back. Yes you ticked of the Coaches sessions regularly but sometimes did your own thing as you were pumped and in the zone. That's dangerous when you are looking at fine margins.

You never answered my question about hitting 9:15 bit the slot comes via rolldown? Given the enormity of the effort and sacrifice you will have to make to hit that mark, do you accept it?

My only issue with your goal if Im honest is that you are rebounding from 2 consecutive DNFs so you haven't banked a 10 hour performance to serve you. A poker analogy if you allow me. It like a tilt after a bad beat. Inflating your goal for a bigger win.

edit: saying you will never be an hour swimmer doesn't sound like the guy who set that goal!

I should really keep goals to myself in future.
    IMHO I believe you are e putting massive pressure on yourself. I just cant see it.

Pressure is for tyres Bryan. Its good that you cannot see it, sure how could you.

I will never race in UKIM or Wales they lack the big race feel. They race slower than FF and as far as i know he is racing a different AG. I agree i could be talking utter b0llix until i prove it in a race.
    speedyj wrote: »

Yeah times off by 30mins.
    JB could hit 9:15 shape but it becomes a 9:40 due to non wetsuit swim, bike on slippy roofs after thunderstorm etc... The 9:40 could still be a performance relative of 9:15 on another day.

Mike, point 1 is valid a 9.15 could well turn into a bigger time depending on n/w and conditions but it could still merit a slot as everyone has to race the same conditions.

Point 2 i am not sure if i am misreading it but "As long as you subscribe to the programme and not do silly stuff again like over doing sessions etc.. Id have faith in the Coach too although this is new territory for him also" I pretty much stuck exactly to the plan set out for this year:confused: Having worked with coach i would not be sticking with him another season if i did not have faith that he can deliver me and in shape for that sort of time next year. I probably am making his work more difficult by putting the goal out there so openly.

Point 3 i will never be a sub 60 swimmer but i do need to be a sub 1:10 swimmer and prepare for a n/w swim. As you say the bike will need to be under sub 5 and a strong 3hr marathon.

Finally why 9:15 if you look at the results from last year in FF its a Kona slot without relying on anyone elses race.

Do you know me, know my setup, know my support structure:confused: Sorry to sound dismissive to your post but comparing yourself to me when you don't what my setup is and the comment of "it would mean giving up the family for a year and that's time that cannot be gotten back" is off the wall. Do you really think myself or my wife would be so supportive if she even thought that was the case. Time management is what is all about and not falling asleep and being a **** father after a long early bike on a Saturday morning when you get back.
    Money tree, i work darn hard for it too you need to with 4 kids:)
    Looks like we are fortunate enough to have one of a lucky few. The key thing people overlook that triathlon is a lifestyle change and very much a huge change in direction to what i done in previous years. I am a better person, husband and father since taking this up.
    Without the support i would not be attempting what i am trying to do.
    I just think to do it within 2 years is not physically possible to make that progress.
    Next year will actually be my third year in tri (year 2 of Kona plan though)

4 kids and they love me dearly, love me training and love me racing (especially the 2nd eldest) My eldest two know what i am attempting to do, the eldest probably is the only one who really understands. Its not all about volume and time, smart and focussed training will get the gains required.
    Actually Lillianna Poor Sauna - running a sub 3 Dublin would be good for you. Twould give you confidence number 1. Running a 3.30 marathon would actually be a waste of time. 8 minute miles... Lad - in training you should be going sub 7 not to mind the marathon..

I agree 3:30 will do nothing in the grand scheme of things apart from a long easy run. Why am i doing it i have other interests outside of my own goal and given the timing of DCM at the start of my own preparation it allows me to do a pacing job and something i enjoyed doing last year. Given the year i have had i need enjoyment even if it is only pacing. I also have 40 people in my run club who i am coaching for DCM with a large portion doing sub 3:30 so i am helping them out, again something i want and enjoy doing.
    I have a half iron lined up in Lost Sheep and will close out the season with something that will take the taint off the season somewhat.

I sometimes wonder is it better to be the guy who puts his goals out there in the open to be dissected or to be the guy getting it done quitely. Starting to think the later might be the better option:)

I wasn't having a go, I have 3 young kids myself and would completely agree that training makes you a more rounded person, it has for me. I wouldn't see my comment about giving up the family as off the wall. Simple math will dictate that if the amount of hours in a week spent doing one thing increases then the amount of time doing something else will decrease.
    I genuinely hope you achieve your goal and think it would be a gigantic achievement. Maybe the fact that the goal is so high is why people are questioning it, if you post something like that you are leaving yourself open to it being queried.
    As I said earlier, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Not at all Jacky, fair play to you for calling it like you see it, far too many cute whores in Ireland that will tell you nothing and keep saying it, have you ever watched a GAA press launch.

Give me the Aussies or South African sportsmen anyday, they may be arrogant bollixs but they call a spade a spade

Its just the time - if someone had announced they were aiming for sub 12 on this thread you probably would have seen tumbleweed with the replies but a 9.15 is always going to create big interest on here

Goals..........

One person sets a challenging goal that pushes the boundary of possibility. One sets a soft goal that should be easily attainable.

Which one is more likely to hit their goal?

The obvious answer would be the person with the soft goal. However in my experience that's not the case. I don't I can recall anyone I know who has set a soft goal and hit it. I can recall people who have set seemingly ridiculous goals and surprised everyone, myself included, by hitting them, nailing them and showing potential to do way more. Confidence and mental strength are vital. A desire to achieve is paramount.

"only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go" T.s. Elliot.

"The greatest failure is the failure to try" - William Arthur Ward

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else"

"All athletes want to excel. But the cost of excellence is high. Only a few are willing to pay the price. This is an opportunity."

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most"

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."

"Success at a high level requires some sacrifice. Your life must change in some way. If unwilling then success is not to be expected."

"Above all, train hard, eat light, and avoid TV and people with negative attitudes" - Scott Tinley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

as many have said we dont know you JB only what we learn from the log, however I admin your "balls" stating a taget of 9:15,
    it will be a challenge however if you, your coach and more importantly the family believe its possible then there is no point in stating anything different.

If you are concerned about comments, I need only point you to weemans MdS thread a few months ago. The guy got ripped for announcing a goal that most of us felt was unattainable and irresponsible. This is what happens when you aim high. You will get flak. I think mostly people mean well. They don't want you to set yourself up for failure. And I think if you hear it, and counter it, and believe the naysayers are wrong, then that determination will serve you well. You will always get negativity. Sometimes its constructive, sometimes not. None of it matters. Only you know what you can do. If you think this is right, go for it.

• Advertisement

Did you not expect comments?

You never answered my question about hitting 9:15 bit the slot comes via rolldown? Given the enormity of the effort and sacrifice you will have to make to hit that mark, do you accept it?

My only issue with your goal if Im honest is that you are rebounding from 2 consecutive DNFs so you haven't banked a 10 hour performance to serve you. A poker analogy if you allow me. It like a tilt after a bad beat. Inflating your goal for a bigger win.

edit: saying you will never be an hour swimmer doesn't sound like the guy who set that goal!

Not really if i am being honest, most of the comments have been constructive in fairness.
    Sorry missed that question, i believe 9:15 would be good enough to not require a roll down however if it did come down to it and i am standing in the hall i am unsure what i would do (honest answer)
    I fully agree with you on the poker analogy and it is dangerous to be on "tilt" but i have set something which i think is possible.

Lets be honest 9:15 is a HUGE ask and will require perfect preparation, perfect conditions and perfect execution. It is not impossible but it will be horrifically difficult for me.
    I have confidence in my biking being up to scratch and my running.
    The swimming is a concern though especially if it goes non-wetsuit. However the swimming can be brought down to a 1:10 I believe which means i have to nail the other two to a 9:05 standard really.
    Its a mammoth task and will be borderline that i can do it as i will need a lot of things to go in my favour - however that does not mean I cannot do it. It just means it will be difficult.

However on another note, what is a goal? Something that motivates, challenges and gets me out of bed in the morning. Would saying 9:45 as my goal have the same drive no it would not.

On the final part - this is year 3 of a 5 year Kona plan. There are still years 4 and 5 and i need to consider the possiblity i don't get a Kona slot next year, whats the worse that has happened. Some disappointment, some embarrassment but i will have become infinitely stronger across all disciplines and prepared for year 4 of the plan.
    There is no point faffing about in training doing all easy and never challenging or pushing yourself as if you do that you could end up in the sport for donkeys years never having gotten any faster.

Advertisement