Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 2013 Roll call

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"Point 3 i will never be a sub 60 swimmer but i do need to be a sub 1:10 swimmer and prepare for a n/w swim."

never say never champ, with your work ethic and attitude anything is possible - you've made big progress in a very short space of time - think back to when you started all of this ... 'I will never do blah ... ' its someone else talking.

Stay healthy and happy and patient and stand tall when it comes to your goals (sorry, couldn't resist that last one) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

On the final part - this is year 3 of a 5 year Kona plan. There are still years 4 and 5 and i need to consider the possiblity i don't get a Kona slot next year, whats the worse that has happened. Some disappointment, some embarrassment but i will have become infinitely stronger across all disciplines and prepared for year 4 of the plan.
    There is no point faffing about in training doing all easy and never challenging or pushing yourself as if you do that you could end up in the sport for donkeys years never having gotten any faster.

I think this sums it all up JB. No matter what happens in FF next year the training you do for it will set you up for future attempts (should you need them). I have read your log from the start and as someone who has aspirations to try the full distance in a couple of years it scared the sh1t outta me. Your energy and work ethic is both inspiring and depressing as it shows just how hard you and the other lads on here have to work to give that distance a good go as opposed to just finishing it. I admire your willingness to publish your goal for FF. It is a goal that will keep you focused. I agree with catweeze, too many cute whores that will say nothing and probably never meet their own soft goals. Best of luck with it, I look forward to reading about your progress over the comming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oryx wrote: »
    If you are concerned about comments, I need only point you to weemans MdS thread a few months ago. The guy got ripped for announcing a goal that most of us felt was unattainable and irresponsible. This is what happens when you aim high. You will get flak. I think mostly people mean well. They don't want you to set yourself up for failure. And I think if you hear it, and counter it, and believe the naysayers are wrong, then that determination will serve you well. You will always get negativity. Sometimes its constructive, sometimes not. None of it matters. Only you know what you can do. If you think this is right, go for it.

+1 on what Oryx says. Go for it! And while you are doing it, remember that there are people here like me, very new to all of this, who are inspired and motivated by people like you who have the balls to set themselves huge goals and then do the work to get there. I know that I for one will be pushing myself faster on the bike this evening thinking of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I highly commend what you are trying to achieve but cannot help but think you are jumping into this too quickly when you should set shorter term goals to build up to this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I can see where people are coming from with their comments and concerns....However, if you look back at where JB came from when he first started logging on here to where he is now I firmly believe that if anyone has the will, committment and determination to achieve their goal it's him. Chapeau for laying it out there and the best of luck with it. I'm looking forward to tracking the progress via your log JB.

Keep away from the prawns in FF :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It takes a lot of bottle to write down your aims and goals especially if you know you are going to be at you limit to get there and reliant on a near perfect race to hit them. Anyone can achieve success from low targets but for success to really mean something then you have to be aiming high.

The thought of hitting 9:15 should be a real motivator on those cold winter mornings when it is more appealing to stay in bed too.

Looking forward to reading the log over the next 12 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Nothing wrong with putting out goals Jackyback. Tho - I'll admit - I'm slow on doing it myself. (But hey big goals = pressure, no set goals = zero pressure). But yep - everybody has a goal in their head. Your target is v high - doable yes - next year more than lightly no. Down the road - who knows.

But for next year (9.15) - you'd want to be able to jog around a sub 3 marathon now and wouldn't want to take much out of you.

I hope the lost sheep goes well cause you need something to get you on track. All the training in the world is no good if its not shown on the field of play.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

JB - as I was reading your posted goal and all the responses to your posted goal and all the responses to the responses to your posted goal, and I could hear John Lennon singing his ever hopeful "Imagine" in my ears. You live and die by passion, and you wear your heart on your sleeve. I commend your bravery and desire, and I wish you the absolute best in achieving your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Haters gonna hate - 9:15 - you can do it.

Advertisement