Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Idiots, Its gone on for too long now. My account still isn't up to date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cootehill wrote: »
    Have had no movement on my acc now since 21st june so finally bit the bullet and called a distant relative who works along with matthew elderfield and from the little he could tell me it seems the software mess up happened on the process batch run for UB. Sorry if i have the tech terms wrong.Seems thats why RBS and Natwest have been sorted and we are nowhere close and they cant get the batch to run right as cant find where it happened.
    Make sense to anybody? All i know is i want mine and my wifes wages!!!!

It's possible to expand on your comment, that they had better backups of the batch schedule for RBS/Natwest and not for UB

If that is the case, then essentially they have no idea what got processed and what didn't hence the duplicates.

However the duplicate transactions are showing up across all three.

I've had nothing applied to my account since June 20 apart from one duplicate transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Where the hell is the Governments voice in all of this. When the household charge was announced you couldnt get them off the news but when the ordinary persn is been f ucked over they are nowhere to be seen. The same applies to the opposition I would have thought that they would have been more vocal in all this.

Only A couple of TDs have asked about it - http://www.moneyguideireland.com/government-responses-to-ulster-bank-computer-problems.html

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

nikkime wrote: »
    No, I'll do it tomorrow though - its just I read on a few msg boards people in other banks were not receiving their welfare payments either...so I thought it would just be a few days ....

Also UlsterBank had this on their site a few days ago:

I am not a customer of Ulster Bank but my salary or welfare payment was impacted by this incident. What can I do?

We have been working with all the other banks to ensure that customers are not financially impacted. Please contact your bank in the first instance.

Well that is strange! I would definitely start with a call to the SW office. Hope you get it sorted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

They're showing my original, 10 years ago when I opened it now, branch on the news now (Dorset Street)...ah bless....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Have I missed something or are RTÉ leading with Barclays in the UK when so many Irish people are worried sick about their money in UB?

EDIT - My mistake! Should've put the kettle on earlier and not miss the first couple of mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Trotter wrote: »
    Have I missed something or are RTÉ leading with Barclays in the UK when so many Irish people are worried sick about their money in UB?

1st story was UB

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

What I don't get is the complete randomness. Some people are seeing some movement in their accounts (albeit often in a negative sense), and others (like me) are seeing nothing at all. I know that some bills are being paid (e.g. my UB mastercard was paid) but nothing is showing on my statements since the whole sorry mess started. No salary either. So I don't know where I am. Thankfully my OH is in BOI, so at least we have some money to keep us going, but this is definitely worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nikkime

Well that is strange! I would definitely start with a call to the SW office. Hope you get it sorted though.

Thanks...me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's taking so long because the Indians don't know what they're doing. Somebody accidentally wiped OPC. This left them with no way to rerun applications/jobs automatically. It is very hard to run stuff with OPC down. I reckon OPC is back now, but they are left with a giant jigsaw puzzle that they are trying to piece together

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    1st story was UB

No mention of Indian outsourcing on any news media. Their press office are covering it up

If Vincent Browne covers it, I'm going to bombard the show to tell them India is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

I see they have now added a twitter link
    We have made steady progress over the weekend to work through the backlog of payments caused as a result of the IT issues experienced in the RBS Group.

You can find out more on this by reading a customer letter from Jim Brown, Chief Executive Ulster Bank Group.

Follow us on Twitter @ulsterbankgroup

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

To save you looking through the mountain of posts here the India outsource info:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/28/rbs_job_cuts_and_offshoring_software_glitch/

And the original full breakdown from both internal RBS leaks and former RBS IT employees (there are plenty over 1000 that were canned and off shored!).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/26/rbs_natwest_ca_technologies_outsourcing/

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It's taking so long because the Indians don't know what they're doing. Somebody accidentally wiped OPC. This left them with no way to rerun applications/jobs automatically. It is very hard to run stuff with OPC down. I reckon OPC is back now, but they are left with a giant jigsaw puzzle that they are trying to piece together

What's OPC exactly?

danois wrote: »
    I see they have now added a twitter link
    We have made steady progress over the weekend to work through the backlog of payments caused as a result of the IT issues experienced in the RBS Group.

You can find out more on this by reading a customer letter from Jim Brown, Chief Executive Ulster Bank Group.

Follow us on Twitter @ulsterbankgroup

If the twitter account is anything like the PR waffle in the letter count me out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mwrf wrote: »
    What's OPC exactly?

The batch schedule (I think) that processes and reconciles every single transaction, every single day in the bank?

Also to stop the "OMG they outsourced" RBS transferred the jobs to india, they did not outsource and now admit the core error was committed in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

If the twitter account is anything like the PR waffle in the letter count me out.

Check this one instead.
    https://twitter.com/#!/UlsterBankPR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Geri Male wrote: »

hilarious! :D 'Cathy from HR knocked over her Blue WKD onto a server and it went mental. Don't tell anyone though.' LOL

RBS are being very smart with their statements where they state the systems and people who maintain the systems are in the UK. What they fail to detail is that although the infrastructure is located and managed in the UK, the OPC and scheduling activities are done in India and it was there that the incident originated.

• Advertisement

100% its all remote admin from India.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zipcus

I've been reading through this thread for the past week or so...

Just to add my 2 cents...Since I didn't believe what Ulsterbank was saying I opened up a current account with ptsb last monday morning the 28th...I rang work and no problem my wages were diverted into this account on friday last..

I had a number of doubled up transactions on my Ulsterbank account dated the 25th of june..I explained this in the branch and the very helpful lady behind the counter sent an email and these were rectified.

over the wkn SO and debits came out of my account. None of my manual transactions have shown up...however my ulsterbank credit card trans actions showed up immediately..

I opened my ptsb account last monday & was given an account number & sort code there and then & got my ptsb visa debit card in the post 2day the 2nd of july...all one needs is driving licence & a recent bill for proof of address.

Did you manage to close your UB account and transfer all you money to PTSB? My problem is I need my money.

My ulsterbank account is still open..Yes I did move the majority of my money out of my ulsterbank account..in cash over a couple of days in different branches..wen this all kicked off my wks wages from the week ending the 24th june were in computer land...d nxt day I went in2 d branch with my wage slip and got my wages and that then ended up being my 1st lodgement into my ptsb account.

and just to add..I will be leaving them no question about that..IT system in Edinburgh..outsourced to India they dont give a fiddlers about there customers

Things you can't do

Close your account
    Order a cheque book
    Order a statement
    Get an accurate balance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Geri Male wrote: »
    Things you can't do

Close your account
    Order a cheque book
    Order a statement
    Get an accurate balance

add Cancel credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

At least you can still cancel standing orders.

At least you can still cancel standing orders.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I cancelled one today online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement