Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd say regardless of what happens, this will only be "phase 1" of a 20 year plan or so. I'd say the RDS would like to put an equally modern and hopefully impressive stand in place of the Grandstand in the future, and the North and South could have wrap around roofing put in place with removable seating included.

It needs to be financially viable of course and I know there are debates over who is coming out with the better deal, but the bottom line is that the RDS were near financial collapse not so long ago and now have a very healthy balance sheet, that couldn't have been achieved without Leinster, who gave them financial incentive to improve the stadium to cater for rugby, which also led to more events being held there for the RDS and on the flip side of that coin, Leinster could never have made the progress over the last decade that they have without having the RDS gate receipts to rely on as apposed to less than half the crowd sizes in Donnybrook with a few half empty Lansdowne Road games to try and buffer.

Both are massive winners in this and both are very reliant on each other, so it's a good relationship imo. RDS needs the tennancy agreement to develop their facilities and Leinster need the capacity and location of the RDS.

RE the plans for the ground, they've been drawn up a long time, Mick Dawson discussed it in one of his Q&A a couple of seasons ago, I can only imagine that these have been developed in conjunction with council input, but nothing formal will be put forward until the funding is there so plans can be finalised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The North and South stands have to be removed for the horse show, which presumably limits the scope for developing them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is the team announcement the same as a usual match? Friday, lunch time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the Leinster Lowdown:

"On Thursday the 16th of August there is a very special opportunity for Leinster supporters wanting to attend the Munster match at Aviva Stadium.
    The Muntser clash will happen on Saturday, October 6th at 6.30pm and Leinster is offering a discounted ticket price on 1000 tickets only.
    For one hour only starting at 10am, tickets can be bought for €10. This exciting hour of power will end once the tickets are sold or the hour is up.
    Be ready on the hour at 10am to secure your special priced seat. One chance only."

Who is this Muntser team :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

CatFromHue wrote: »
    From the Leinster Lowdown:

"On Thursday the 16th of August there is a very special opportunity for Leinster supporters wanting to attend the Munster match at Aviva Stadium.
    The Muntser clash will happen on Saturday, October 6th at 6.30pm and Leinster is offering a discounted ticket price on 1000 tickets only.
    For one hour only starting at 10am, tickets can be bought for €10. This exciting hour of power will end once the tickets are sold or the hour is up.
    Be ready on the hour at 10am to secure your special priced seat. One chance only."

Who is this Muntser team :P

Good Freudian. Bunch of munters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Good Freudian. Bunch of munters

The mind games have started :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

supposedly mike sherlock has decided to quit the leinster academy and so leinster are another winger/full back down. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

roycon wrote: »
    supposedly mike sherlock has decided to quit the leinster academy and so leinster are another winger/full back down. Has anyone heard anything about this?

First I've heard of it, but I can tell you that he is the only person missing from the Academy headshots on Inpho and Sportsfile.....

http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1208049/5000/

http://www.inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/INPHO-Shop.woa/wo/6.0.27.23

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

roycon wrote: »
    I heard a while back that he was frustrated being the fourth choice back three player within the academy. He only got one B&I cup game cap last year

he was injured for most of the year though and playing ireland and leinster u20s when he wasn't. I dont remember him even playing once for Clontarf in the AIL last season

• Advertisement

This would leave our back three players for the the start of the season at

Fionn Carr, Andrew Conway, Isa Nacewa, Darren Hudson, Andy Boyle, Sam Coughlan Murray

later season: mcfadden, fitzgerald,both kearneys as well
    madigan and noel reid can play full back at a push

plenty of talent there. We'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

LEINSTER:

15: Darren Hudson
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Collie O’Shea
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Fionn Carr
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: John Cooney

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Damian Browne
    5: Tom Denton
    6: Ben Marshall
    7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS: Tom Sexton, Jack O’Connell, Martin Moore, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan, Luke McGrath, Cathal Marsh, Sam Coghlan-Murray, James Tracy, Brendan Macken
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10189.php

would love to see that team.

Ben Marshall at 6. He plays 4,5 and 8 mostly if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Also a bit surprised to see COS at 13 instead of Macken. Is Joe trying out a few things in the knowledge that things might get a bit tight early in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He plays across the back row. He needs to show up big time over the next couple of weeks though, very important time for him.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Also a bit surprised to see COS at 13 instead of Macken. Is Joe trying out a few things in the knowledge that things might get a bit tight early in the season?

Probably
    He plays across the back row. He needs to show up big time over the next couple of weeks though, very important time for him.
    Definitely, he is in the last year of the academy and so is muphy. With the level of competition in the back row I can't see both of them getting contracts. To be honest I'm not sure either of them will get a contract so both really need to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Pretty boring XV imo. I'm more exited about the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Absolutely.

He's got Ryan, Ruddock, Auva'a, SOB, Heaslip, McLaughlin and Jennings ahead of him in the back row and none of them are retiring any time soon, so I wonder would he be better off trying to mark himself out as a lock? I know he's not massively tall but neither is Cullen.

Absolutely.

He's got Ryan, Ruddock, Auva'a, SOB, Heaslip, McLaughlin and Jennings ahead of him in the back row and none of them are retiring any time soon, so I wonder would he be better off trying to mark himself out as a lock? I know he's not massively tall but neither is Cullen.
    Cullen is 6"6 Marshall is 6"4.

6"6 is pretty much the minimum for a lock POC, DOC, Ryan are all 6"6

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    LEINSTER:

15: Darren Hudson
    14: Andrew Boyle
    13: Collie O’Shea
    12: Noel Reid
    11: Fionn Carr
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: John Cooney

1: Jack McGrath
    2: Aaron Dundon
    3: Jamie Hagan
    4: Damian Browne
    5: Tom Denton
    6: Ben Marshall
    7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
    8: Leo Auva’a

REPLACEMENTS: Tom Sexton, Jack O’Connell, Martin Moore, Jordi Murphy, Dominic Ryan, Luke McGrath, Cathal Marsh, Sam Coghlan-Murray, James Tracy, Brendan Macken
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10189.php

Interesting team. Marshall's a curious call, but I'm glad to see the players down the ranks getting the starts. Why not? Let them have a shot then bring on the Ryan's, Macken's and Murphy's.

Interesting choice at 15 and 14. Can't remember seeing Hudson at 15? Boyle I thought would be the preferred FB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Where's Conway?

.ak wrote: »
    Interesting team. Marshall's a curious call, but I'm glad to see the players down the ranks getting the starts. Why not? Let them have a shot then bring on the Ryan's, Macken's and Murphy's.

Interesting choice at 15 and 14. Can't remember seeing Hudson at 15? Boyle I thought would be the preferred FB?
    Hudson played a bit of 15 last season in the B&I cup I think

Speaking of locks - interesting that there's no locks on the bench. Murphy and Ryan are backrowers imo. I know they've played at lock before but....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Speaking of locks - interesting that there's no locks on the bench. Murphy and Ryan are backrowers imo. I know they've played at lock before but....

I completely missed that. Tomorrow should be really interesting. Must pay attention - which I've been guilty of slacking off on during pre-season games in the past.

Also just saw Rolland is the ref. Interesting. Is this the first game he's ref'd Leinster? I've got a feeling he'll give every 50/50 call to the Gloucester side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Also just saw Rolland is the ref. Interesting. Is this the first game he's ref'd Leinster? I've got a feeling he'll give every 50/50 call to the Gloucester side.

Nah pretty sure I've seen him ref us before.

Not too bothered by the final score tbh, at this stage of the season I just want to see some decent performances and good rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Teferi wrote: »
    Not too bothered by the final score tbh, at this stage of the season I just want to see some decent performances and good rugby.

at this stage of the season I'm just hoping for no injuries. We've had some pretty bad injuries in pre season games in the last few years like Berquist and Stan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Does anyone know much about James Tracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Where's Conway?

He wasn't in full training at the Carlow open session. Just jogging up and down the sideline for the full session. Injury maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement