Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Northern Lights Reykjavik trip - **7th - 10th February 2013** \o/

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

21st - 24th February
    hdowney wrote: »
    o/ Missé :) (sp?!)

mise

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That's kinda the same thing tbh.

No its not! :( I meant good with my hands for making shadow puppets or origami etc.. I can keep people entertained..

Seriously though, I'd love to go. If you wanna sponsor me, PM whoopsa! Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

14th - 17th February
    bluewolf wrote: »
    mise

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

21st - 24th February
    Wish I could go but will probably be broke... Troubles of being a student :( What kind of prices are we talking for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh I'd love to! Have no money though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

21st - 24th February
    Still no PM ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh I'd love to! Have no money though. :(

Im sure someone has mentioned this already . The Northern Lights will be visable in Donegal throughout October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

14th - 17th February
    Im sure someone has mentioned this already . The Northern Lights will be visable in Donegal throughout October

If this happens after the 13th of January, I definitely won't go. Just so we don't double miss out :)- Donegal anyone?

Had a post all typed up earlier with info and as I clicked post, the site went down and I lost it. I'll post it again tomorrow and throw up a poll for dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

21st - 24th February
    Got an email from Trip Advisor today asking where this is:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g189970-d246003-i38302107-The_Pearl_Perlan-Reykjavik.html

I think it was trying to tell me something

• Advertisement

Flights departing from London Gatwick on Thursday 27th December. Returning Sunday 30th December €433

Flights departing any other thursday in January or February from London Gatwick and returning Sunday are €340

They are with icelandexpress.com

Hotel prices for the christmas - new year gap on booking.com start from €48 per person for three nights in a hostel and can go as high as you like.

Prices are significantly cheaper for all other dates in Jan/Feb.

Package deals to include excursions start from approximately €400 - includes accomodation, transfers etc.

A three day tour with this crowd, excluding flights starts at £299, they are recommending going February 15th as it is when the lights are likely to be strongest.

So really we need to establish the dates most of us are able to go. There are approximately 15 seriously interested.

What do you think we should do with regards to a poll? Multichoice or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

14th - 17th February
    I don't know if multichoice is a good idea but i dunno. Gah i am fifty fifty on it. Like if you offer multi people can pick many dates, which may not then give an acurate enough representation of when people can and will go, but if you put single date it may put people off picking cos they don't wanna be/can't be tied to just the one date :(

I'm leaning toward the cheaper dates, and I like the idea of when the lights are best (altho the mammy might not - tis her bday valentines day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

21st - 24th February
    There is a groupon here too, around £300 pp including flights from London but you'd have to go either up to the 18th December or else in February/March.

Of the other options you put up, I'm good for January/February but can't really go over the new year/Christmas break.

Edit: And flights with Easyjet from Luton seem to be around £230 return for most Thursday-Sundays in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

14th - 17th February
    The later the better id say,

(a) its cheaper

(b) not right after christmas

(c) you say the lights will be stronger

plus the weather in britain during december has been appalling the last few years with the result that flights are often cancelled around that time so why not play it safe and wait til late jan/feb time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

21st - 24th February
    JoseJones wrote: »
    There is a groupon here too, around £300 pp including flights from London but you'd have to go either up to the 18th December or else in February/March.

Of the other options you put up, I'm good for January/February but can't really go over the new year/Christmas break.

Edit: And flights with Easyjet from Luton seem to be around £230 return for most Thursday-Sundays in January.

It's sold out

I think prices are indicating jan/feb which is best for me, can't go xmas-NY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

21st - 24th February
    Jan/Feb is better for me too. Xmas is annoy the family time!

I'm going to go with a multi-choice pole. Simple reason being that if 10 people can go any date in January but all choose different dates, it dilutes those votes, and if three people vote for xmas/ny it will win. If you get what I'm trying to say.

So pick all the dates you can go, and then we'll go with the highest. That ok?

I'm making the poll public, and I'm going to count the people who have pm'd me a genuine interest in going to choose the date - that fair?

Edit: Oh, and then if five dates all win, we'll throw up another one choice poll to see when people would prefer

So...I made a bit of a whoopsadaisydoodles with the poll. If you had voted will you vote again please and thank you :D

21st - 24th February
    So...I made a bit of a whoopsadaisydoodles with the poll. If you had voted will you vote again please and thank you :D

*shakes head*

I like the look of that tour you linked, I must say

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

10th - 13th January
    I'm so conflustered.

If we go in January/February would it be a weekend? Because I could possibley get a Friday off work.

Edit. Ah sorry I see they are all Thur to Sun. Stupid annual leave! I have none left to take.

Have to vote December so.

21st - 24th February
    I'm so conflustered.

If we go in January/February would it be a weekend? Because I could possibley get a Friday off work.

View Poll Results: What dates suit? Read OP before voting. All Dates are Thursday to Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

24th - 27th January
    Any of the dates are good for me but I'm hoping the 17-20 Jan wins cos its my birthday on 18 Jan. It would be kinda cool to watch the northern lights while having a birthday beer. : )

10th - 13th January
    Any of the dates are good for me but I'm hoping the 17-20 Jan wins cos its my birthday on 18 Jan. It would be kinda cool to watch the northern lights while having a birthday beer. : )

Would you all take the Thur/ Fri off work? I have so little annual leave - first year in a job and we have to work it up.

21st - 24th February
    I would yes, I don't see much point paying all that just for 2 days, make it 3-4

10th - 13th January
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I would yes, I don't see much point paying all that just for 2 days, make it 3-4

I'm just jealous that I have so little annual leave. Boo - urns. Maybe if ye do it again the next year, I should have more, and can join you, maybe it could be an annual AH thing.

21st - 24th February
    Maybe you can get a later flight on the friday and join us?

10th - 13th January
    Maybe I could :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

24th - 27th January

Would you all take the Thur/ Fri off work? I have so little annual leave - first year in a job and we have to work it up.

I'm fine for leave. Might even take the Monday after off to rest up before going back to work :-p.

I'm only teasing you maybe you could get a later flight on the Friday as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

21st - 24th February
    I'm just jealous that I have so little annual leave. Boo - urns. Maybe if ye do it again the next year, I should have more, and can join you, maybe it could be an annual AH thing.

Can you not go into negative annual leave?

I started a job last year but had 2 weeks holiday booked 2 weeks after my start date.

Each month, your annual accrual will come off the negative amount.

You're entitled to annual leave.... you don't have to work 3 months etc to build up a week or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement