Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Audiophiles' Lounge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭emo72

docentore, what do you think going from the x3 to the x5? i use fiio E12 with x3 and hd 650 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Just upgraded my Bifrost with the Uber analog and usb gen 2 upgrades, its sounding sweeter than ever.
    Pity my HE400 cable is damaged and I'm stuck using my old Sennheiser HD590 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

PPC wrote: »
    Just upgraded my Bifrost with the Uber analog and usb gen 2 upgrades, its sounding sweeter than ever.
    Pity my HE400 cable is damaged and I'm stuck using my old Sennheiser HD590 :(

I recently picked up a Lyr 2. I held of the bit frost as DAC;s tend to the least rewarding upgrade bang for buck.

Have you tried your setup with "lesser" DAC's? does it really make that much difference?

I'm currently on one of the first batches of the uDAC which were running at about 90 bucks and the setup sounds amazing.

I can't see a more exspensive DAC adding much

I'm using this with HD 600's original cable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Have a Schiit Modi a few months now & am extremely impressed with it. Brings a real life like quality to recordings, very wide soundstage. Very revealing of what's been well recorded/mastered & what's not. Only €140 including postage & customs from the manufacturer. Considered other DACs in that price range as well, including the uDAC & the Objective. Went for the Modi as much for the bare bones look of it as much as anything else. No regrets but would be interesting to compare to more expensive units. As it is I'm considering getting rid of my beloved CD 63 KI Signature as ripped FLACS through the Modi sound better than CDs.

limnam wrote: »
    I recently picked up a Lyr 2. I held of the bit frost as DAC;s tend to the least rewarding upgrade bang for buck.

Have you tried your setup with "lesser" DAC's? does it really make that much difference?

I'm currently on one of the first batches of the uDAC which were running at about 90 bucks and the setup sounds amazing.

I can't see a more exspensive DAC adding much

I'm using this with HD 600's original cable

While it probably wasn't the best bang for buck, I was looking for a clean desktop setup, but I would say that yes it does.
    I moved from a E7+E9 combo to E17 to Lyr+Bifrost and there was a large jump at each stage even though each setup was more than adequate for my headphones.
    Even after doing the upgrades today, I've found a bit of new life in an 11 year old pair of headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

emo72 wrote: »
    docentore, what do you think going from the x3 to the x5? i use fiio E12 with x3 and hd 650 .

X3 was almost perfect. I liked it a lot, but I have to say (I'm comparing this to my memories of how X3 sounds) X5 is much more, hmm, cleaner, there are more details and sparkles in my ears.
    Also has 2 uSD slots which is great feature. But it is a bit bulkier, I can't fiti it into pocket in my jeans.

Generally I'm very happy with the upgrade, X5 has more power, better DAC, it's more powerful. And there is definitely difference in sound quality, but like I've said X3 is great player also!

I don't think you would need E12 to drive hd650 with X5. I've seen folks on head-fi doing sandwiches with X5 and E12 but IMO it is pointless.

Bought a pair of HD800 from the guys in http://thelisteningsuite.ie , worth every penny.
    The shop is worth visit too, great selection of high end gear.

Bought a pair of HD800 from the guys in http://thelisteningsuite.ie , worth every penny.

did you manage to get any discount on them? really interested in a pair myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

There's a new flagship model on the way isn't there?

I'd be reluctant to pay full whack knowing that and the big drop in price I'd expect when/if the other arrives.

What are you powering them with?

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    There's a new flagship model on the way isn't there?

I'd be reluctant to pay full whack knowing that and the big drop in price I'd expect when/if the other arrives.

Historically Senns don't take big drops.

the 600/650 has been the same price for years now and were not effected by the 800 that much.

Nope, didn't ask about one.
    They seem to be the same price everywhere too.

What are you powering them with?

Lyr + Uber Bifrost. It's one of the recommended configs for it.
    I auditioned them on the HDVD800 which was really nice!
    Historically Senns don't take big drops.

the 600/650 has been the same price for years now and were not effected by the 800 that much.

The 650 I bought went up 50% in price in the last few years too, so it looks like they won't lose much value.

Lyr + Uber Bifrost. It's one of the recommended configs for it.
    I auditioned them on the HDVD800 which was really nice!

The 650 I bought went up 50% in price in the last few years too, so it looks like they won't lose much value.

How do they compare to 650?

How do they compare to 650?

No comparison really, I've always found the HD650 a bit dull and boring where the HD800 are super crisp, clear and have more soul to their sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I wish I had the ability to save my money and hit up end game material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

marko93 wrote: »
    I wish I had the ability to save my money and hit up end game material.

It's very easy, you just convince yourself that your hearing is going and settle with what you have :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Hi,

I don't think a new thread is necessary, but I was looking through a few threads and for my budget of say €200 max I found Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X which I like. I'm just wondering if there are any bricks & mortar stores where I can get these at close to the same price as Amazon? I'm fairly impatient when it comes to delivery :P

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think a new thread is necessary, but I was looking through a few threads and for my budget of say €200 max I found Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X which I like. I'm just wondering if there are any bricks & mortar stores where I can get these at close to the same price as Amazon? I'm fairly impatient when it comes to delivery :P

Thanks

Maybe HiFiHut? Other than that can't think of anywhere. Amazon delivery is pretty snappy though
    Brian wrote: »
    It's very easy, you just convince yourself that your hearing is going and settle with what you have :p

I'm thinking I'll settle down at 600/650/Mad Dog kinda territory :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

marko93 wrote: »
    Maybe HiFiHut? Other than that can't think of anywhere. Amazon delivery is pretty snappy though

I'm thinking I'll settle down at 600/650/Mad Dog kinda territory :o

I'd certainly consider Amazon considering their returns policy/process seem to be praised widely.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks

MusicMaker on Exchequer St have the ath-m50x upstairs.
    http://musicmaker.ie/studio-monitor-headphones/25867-audio-technica-ath-m50x-professional-monitor-headphones-4961310125431.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Thanks, I'll call in this evening :D

I think I'll part ways with the X1s in a few weeks and jump up the ladder. I think it's time to try the big leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

I thought you lot might like this, we've just started running them in

Bx6OC9UIQAAm6kl.jpg:large

I thought you lot might like this, we've just started running them in

Bx6OC9UIQAAm6kl.jpg:large

Very nice. Will drop in and have a listen to them. What's the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Very nice. Will drop in and have a listen to them. What's the price?

http://www.hifihut.ie/oppo-pm1-planer-headphones.html

http://sennheiser-urbanite.com/en-US/

eh......i dont know if you guys have seen sennheisers new advertising for the urbanite. its different. really different:eek: and they say germans have no sense of humour:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

I'm waiting on some cheapo Chinese iems, there is a huge discovery thread on headfi. IEMs bought so far Havi B3, Moxpad X3, Xiaomi pistons 2.0. Will report once arrived[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of getting the Moxpad X3 for when running. How did they turn out for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

An interesting paper with some bitrate comparisons. The hardware tested with was not optimal but still gives some notable results.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2655025 [Click "Full Text: PDF"]
    AAC is transparent at 128 kb/s.

Advertisement