Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Unemployed People Getting abuse on

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

zlstone wrote: »
    we're a professional granite and marble supplier,I would like to update you G603 quarry situation at present . Because overexploitation of G603 old quarry and government factors , the quarry will be close by the end of June , 2012 .

Here we are glad to tell you that we have new cooperated quarry of G603, the material is perfect for flamed and bush hammered finish, especially suitable for outdoor using such as paving, kerb stone, sizes like 10x10cm , 30x30cm, 30x60cm etc. We can supply it at most competitive prices and finish your orders in the shortest time. No matter how big is your order, supplying is absolutely no problem for us!

Are you disagreeing with me? How dare you!!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

dchris wrote: »
    Yes it is what is available for people at those levels, but the qualification obtained is not at those levels. it is cleverly worded. You don't get a masters by going in to do a course at masters level etc. It is just aimed at people at that level. the qualification, as far as i can gather, is not recognisable. ( I may be wrong, and will admit that)

The springboard courses are to get people to retrain whilst also be looking for work. You are expected to keep looking for work whilst doing the courses and drop out if you find a job. which undermines the whole ethos of learning

Sorry, you said you don't get a qualification - I never said anything about a masters. The qualifications are recognised by the National qaulifications framework.

There's the back to education initiative, Back to school initiative, the FIT initiative, Labour market activation fund, VTOS schemes, Education, training & Development option, Skillsnet, Jobsbridge, PTOS anf FAS.

I mean you are the one saying that there are no jobs - yet by the same token you are also saying "You are expected to look for work" - if you had an evening course and were half way through it then you could absolutely continue to complete the course.

You look at the states, how many people work 2/3/4 jobs AND go to college? I have friends in the states who do this as a matter of course, yes it's tough, yes money is tight, but it's not meant to be easy street.

My friends in the US are simply staggered that all these options are available free of charge, yet people don't take them up.

If I was out of work I would do what it took to retrain, upskill and better my chances of employment.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Sorry, you said you don't get a qualification - I never said anything about a masters. The qualifications are recognised by the National qaulifications framework.

There's the back to education initiative, Back to school initiative, the FIT initiative, Labour market activation fund, VTOS schemes, Education, training & Development option, Skillsnet, Jobsbridge, PTOS anf FAS.

I mean you are the one saying that there are no jobs - yet by the same token you are also saying "You are expected to look for work" - if you had an evening course and were half way through it then you could absolutely continue to complete the course.

You look at the states, how many people work 2/3/4 jobs AND go to college? I have friends in the states who do this as a matter of course, yes it's tough, yes money is tight, but it's not meant to be easy street.

My friends in the US are simply staggered that all these options are available free of charge, yet people don't take them up.

If I was out of work I would do what it took to retrain, upskill and better my chances of employment.

No no no, don't be so accusative , I merely stated that although it looks like from the literature you get a masters, or a degree or whatever ,you don't. So wind your neck in mate. YOU quoted jobsbridge, not mean. I only stated the facts about that programme.

You and your friends in the US, with all fairness, I couldn't give a damn about. Nor should anyone here as it is not relevant. We are THANKFULLY not States, and will not be like them

You named initiatives, you included FAS? The government agency that if you look for a job through you will be less likely to get a job off by 17% compared to other outlets? Really? Don't regurgitated your ill researched facts and pass them off as gospel in the hope I will buy it.. Your out of you're depth pal

And you are banging on about re-training, when the fact is to retrain people who are unemployed now would double the number in the education system, which is no possible it would explode the system and collapse it. Place for Mature Students in colleges are usually held at about 1-2 per cent.. You yourself going to increase this number? Open the flood gates? Your argument is lazy. You are spouting what is on the tip of your tongue without basing it with any fact or reality.

No no no, don't be so accusative , I merely stated that although it looks like from the literature you get a masters, or a degree or whatever ,you don't. So wind your neck in mate. YOU quoted jobsbridge, not mean. I only stated the facts about that programme.

You and your friends in the US, with all fairness, I couldn't give a damn about. Nor should anyone here as it is not relevant. We are THANKFULLY not States, and will not be like them

You named initiatives, you included FAS? The government agency that if you look for a job through you will be less likely to get a job off by 17% compared to other outlets? Really? Don't regurgitated your ill researched facts and pass them off as gospel in the hope I will buy it.. Your out of your depth pal

I am not being accusatory. You are contradicting each of my posts, you stated NO FACTS about the programme, where I have taken the time to research what I am posting - you on the other hand are giving your "opinion" - you didn't even bother to check whether or not the qualifications are recognised.
    So wind your own neck in.

And you couldn't give damn about my friends and they aren't relevant here, but your friends are:

"A friend of mine did one, had to leave it half way through as they live 20 miles from course. had to commute, had a lot of expenses and in the end could not afford to do it."

So you can post anecdotal as FACT, yet when hit with anecdotal evidence that doesn't suit you - you dismiss it?

To be honest it's clear that no matter what is on offer you would find fault in it - it's not the right course, it's too far, it's costing me money and on and on it goes.

I am sure you'd hate us to be like the states - but we could take a few lessons about doing for ourselves instead of shooting down every opportunity made available to us.

• Advertisement

"A friend of mine did one, had to leave it half way through as they live 20 miles from course. had to commute, had a lot of expenses and in the end could not afford to do it."

Making reference to someone in Ireland when speaking about the Irish Economy is relevant. When speaking about your mate in the states it has no baring on the discussion and not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Making reference to someone in Ireland when speaking about the Irish Economy is relevant. When speaking about your mate in the states it has no baring on the discussion and not relevant.

right had a look and formost of.the courses you need a qualification in a similar are already , you can't start from scratch. also if say the class was on in sligo or dublin and.you live in cork you may.not.be able to afford the.commute or relocation costs

The level and ability of debate, decorum and comprehension within this thread reflects terribly on the Irish Education system. People prefer to neglect all facts and stats put before them; preferring their own opinions which seem to be plucked from hearsay and hot air.

The level and ability of debate, decorum and comprehension within this thread reflects terribly on the Irish Education system. People prefer to neglect all facts and stats put before them; preferring their own opinions which seem to be plucked from hearsay and hot air.

for the last.time.
    just.because it sounds.right in your head doesnt mean it will work in reality

Sin City wrote: »
    for the last.time.

You promise it's the last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

One thing i have no problem people are entitled to social welfare. But i do believe that food, clothes tokens etc should be introduced. My breakdown would be food token of 40euro per week, clothes token 20p/w mobile 10p/w and spending money of 30 euros. This added to free health care, heating would be very sufficient for any persons without children on welfare. It ammounts to 100 euros and would save the government a fortune. It would also eliminate people spending the vast amounts of their welfare on alcohol, cigarettes, drugs and gambling. I think their should be control on these expenditures

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You named initiatives, you included FAS? The government agency that if you look for a job through you will be less likely to get a job off by 17% compared to other outlets? Really? Don't regurgitated your ill researched facts and pass them off as gospel in the hope I will buy it.. Your out of you're depth pal

Indeed.

There already has been a couple of mod warnings on this thread, please keep the discussion civil and avoid sniping at each other. Also bear in mind that anecdotal evidence is frowned on in the forum, whether that be a friend in Ireland or friends in the US!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It has as much bearing as your anecdotal evidence - it's not about the economy - it's about the options available to unemployed people and your repeated critiscism of every one of my posts.

@K9, apologies.

right had a look and formost of.the courses you need a qualification in a similar are already , you can't start from scratch. also if say the class was on in sligo or dublin and.you live in cork you may.not.be able to afford the.commute or relocation costs

Not in the Jobsbridge, but if you were starting off then the BTEA would cover that would it not?

I mean if you lived in Cork then naturally you would want a course available in Cork, itk may not be ideal but surely to god out of the course one would suit you?

Look, I have been unemployed I know how soul destroying it can be, but I took FAS course, I got a job which led me to the career I have now.

It's an option, that's all. It's up to each individual to play their part - I certainly wouldn't be waiting for this government to provide me with a job.

Not in the Jobsbridge, but if you were starting off then the BTEA would cover that would it not?

I mean if you lived in Cork then naturally you would want a course available in Cork, itk may not be ideal but surely to god out of the course one would suit you?

Look, I have been unemployed I know how soul destroying it can be, but I took FAS course, I got a job which led me to the career I have now.

It's an option, that's all. It's up to each individual to play their part - I certainly wouldn't be waiting for this government to provide me with a job.

If you already have a dregree in recent years, you wont be able to get the BTEA, and I know ideally it would be easier to get a course near you but most of the courses are in Dublin.

Im sorry Im not trying to make excuses but I would need to get the practicalities sorted before anything can be undertaken.

If you already have a dregree in recent years, you wont be able to get the BTEA, and I know ideally it would be easier to get a course near you but most of the courses are in Dublin.

Im sorry Im not trying to make excuses but I would need to get the practicalities sorted before anything can be undertaken.

But if you have a degree you can go on the Jobsbridge and retain your benifits can you not?

I agree that in every case it may not be a 100% match, but surely there is something available that would retain your particular skillset or broaden it?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but after my stint in unemployment and a further stint of sick leave after a bad accident, I was crawling the walls. It's easy to get into a rut, sometimes the biggest obstacle is yourself - I speak from experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

It's one of the big difficulties I'm finding in this thread is the amount of people who want the government or someone else to do something for them instead of doing something for themselves with no ideas of their own is staggering.

Really, It's pretty depressing.

You can't wait around hoping to be handed a job on a plate. "there's only 25k jobs available" only?? wtf! go and grab one and stop complaining about what OTHER people are not doing for you.

But if you have a degree you can go on the Jobsbridge and retain your benifits can you not?

That I am not 100 % sure of to be honets

I agree that in every case it may not be a 100% match, but surely there is something available that would retain your particular skillset or broaden it?

At the moment No, There is however some courses there that I would like to do, however my degree would not be in the same field[/QUOTE]
    I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but after my stint in unemployment and a further stint of sick leave after a bad accident, I was crawling the walls. It's easy to get into a rut, sometimes the biggest obstacle is yourself - I speak from experience.

It is soul destroying, I am crawling the walls, but until I get can back to something soon I doubt itl change anytime soon

That I am not 100 % sure of to be honets

The Springboard does (not Jobsbridge) maybe check it out, you never know until you try.
    It is soul destroying, I am crawling the walls, but until I get can back to something soon I doubt itl change anytime soon

Well I apologise if you feel I was giving you a hard time - It wasn't intentional. My advice to you is to just get yourself something to do, anything at all to give you a reason and a purpose to get up and out in the morning (hardest part of the day I found).

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AmitChakRavar

The suicide rate is staggering in Ireland over financial issues: This article in the Washington Post puts things in perspective-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/economic-suicides-shake-europe-as-financial-crisis-takes-toll-on-mental-health/2012/08/14/3c2e5df0-c6d4-11e1-916d-a4bc61efcad8_story.html?hpid=z3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

And in Ireland, where citizens are jumping off quays in Dublin, Cork and Limerick in alarming numbers...
    This is the very first mention I've seen of a quay-jumping trend.
    Also, suicide rates dropped 20% from 2001 to 2010 source.
    I'll take CSO over Washington Post on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Gurgle wrote: »
    This is the very first mention I've seen of a quay-jumping trend.
    Also, suicide rates dropped 20% from 2001 to 2010 source.
    I'll take CSO over Washington Post on this one.

So the fact they dropped during times of prosperity, that makes it acceptable that there is now an increase in people killing themselves due to financial hardship.

What a twisted view.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    there is now an increase in people killing themselves
    Would you mind linking to something that supports this hypothesis?

My comment has nothing to do with acceptability of suicide, I'm questioning whether the alleged increase actually exists.

In particular, I'm asking if this:
    citizens are jumping off quays in Dublin, Cork and Limerick in alarming numbers
    is somehow related to the real world, or a lazy journo stretching the limits of poetic license.
    What a twisted view.
    Your extrapolations of my view from my comment reflect a similar quality to the above linked journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Would you mind linking to something that supports this hypothesis?

My comment has nothing to do with acceptability of suicide, I'm questioning whether the alleged increase actually exists.

In particular, I'm asking if this:
    is somehow related to the real world, or a lazy journo stretching the limits of poetic license.

Your extrapolations of my view from my comment reflect a similar quality to the above linked journalism.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ireland-sees-a-major-increase-in-suicides-by-economic-crisis-147555955.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/number-suicides-ireland-cso-517632-Jul2012/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0718/1224320306699.html

That took a whole 20 seconds of googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Both statements can be true:
    Rates have fallen from 2001 - 2010
    Rates have risen from 2007-2010

Statistics are meaningless unless qualified properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ChRoMe wrote: »

And it took just 20 seconds more to find some figures that make you remember why ink always find paper especially when there is a story (however true) to be told.

http://www.dohc.ie/statistics/key_trends/health_of_the_population/table_2-6.html

Suicide figures in 2009 were 527.
    Suicide figures in 2011 were 525.
    Suicide figures in 2001 were 519.

The Journal.ie is getting very excited about the increase in 2011. I am wondering what happened. The real story is that the numbers dropped in various years inbetween to 481 in 2005 and 486 in 2010, the latter of which was bang in the middle of a recession. Given that 2001 was a time when the economy was rocketing for the right reasons (the boom of the later noughties was built on false ideas about property), the question has to be asked why in 2001 when the economy was doing well did the numbers reach 519 while in 2010 when the economy had tanked the numbers had reduced to 486.

Even if you say compare 2001 and 2011 which at first glance look very similar (519 to 527) you have to remember (and the census will prove this) the population has gone up by much more so the rate of suicide will have decreased between 2001 and 2011.

All of this is the bare statistics but I would suggest that the sample numbers of around 500 suicides per year are too low to provide a comprehensive explanation and understanding of the various different trends that are driving suicide rates (and it is good that the numbers are too low for that kind of exercise).

It is certainly too simplistic to say the recession is driving up suicide numbers - the figures do not support that. That is not to say that that is not true. It may well be that there are counter-trends. For example there may be greater awareness of depression and other issues in families in 2011 and better supports from the health service which are pushing down the rate. There also may be less alcohol and drug abuse in 2011 pushing down the rate for different reasons. These improvements may be masked by an increased caused by the recession. The only conclusion I can reach is that there is no direct link shown in Ireland between recession and suicide and that if you want to prove and show such a link, you will need to investigate the many different reasons for suicide and look at the factors that are putting pressure downwards on the rate. It is important to look at these as they may be controllable and could be further improved while the recession is something that is out of everyone's control.

Certainly, by wheeling out the latest group of those who want to blame the recesssion or the government or modern-day life, those newspapers and online journals are not going to help anyone, least of all those who have to deal with the reality of suicide.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ireland-sees-a-major-increase-in-suicides-by-economic-crisis-147555955.html
    Irish central provides a headline:
    "The suicide rate in Ireland jumped 16 percent between 2007 and 2009 as the economic crisis hit."
    With no figures, links or sources or context.

NEW FIGURES SHOW 525 people took their own lives in Ireland in 2011, an increase of 7 per cent on the previous year.
    No links, sources or context. At least they got a number in there.

[/quote]THE ECONOMIC recession is leading to increased suicide rates, Independent Waterford TD John Halligan told the Dáil.[/quote]

Some backbencher's unqualified opinion.
    That took a whole 20 seconds of googling.
    Two news-blog-copy-and-paste links and a TD who quotes 'new figures'.
    20 seconds wasted

stats to 2007
    Suicide rates climbed steadily from 1980 to 2000 then remained relatively stable (500 +/- 10%) for the next decade.

CSO Comparison
    Suicide rates:
    2006 11.6 (Deaths per year per 100,000 population)
    2009 11.8
    2010 10.9
    2011 11.4

People just pick years that agree with what they're trying to prove.

2006 for example was a relatively low year, in 2007 you could make headlines by claiming a 12% jump in suicides. But compare 2007 to 2005 and its a 4% reduction.

I just hate lazy journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I am sick of unemployed people getting stick on here for being lazy, or cheating the system, or not bothering to look for work.

I think people should make themselves aware of the facts and figures when it comes to social welfare expenditure in Ireland. A lot of people on here say things that are just ignorant of any facts.

Back in 2007 we had what is considered "full employment" which means that the unemployment rate is about 4% or less. This 4% equates to about 157K people. Now unemployment is at 15% almost a 4 fold increase in unemployment. However the amount paid out in Social Welfare Expenditure in 2007 was 15Billion, In 2011 it was 20 Billion

Unemployment 4 % (157k)
    Social Welfare Expenditure 15 Billion

Unemployment 15% (440k)
    Social Welfare Expenditure 20 Billion

It is clear to me that despite c. 300% increase in the amount of people unemployed, the expenditure only increased by 33%

This would that despite having c.300k more unemployed now ,it does not have a drastic (elastic) affect on Unemployment benefit expenditure. It also suggests that it is other areas, not unemployment benefits that are the huge drain on the Social Welfare Budget, and the same ones that were in existence in 2007

If 1/3 of the SW expenditure goes on paying an additional 300K people, (5 Billion) that would mean that about 7.5 billion in total is going on unemployment benefit. ie 440K people in total (including the c157k who were always unemployed...

So the remainder 12.5 billion of the budget is going on additional payments such as pensions, rent allowances, child benefit, etc .. Not unemployment benefit.

People seem to have the pre-conceived notion that people choose to be on Unemployment Benefit because they are lazy. I think this is ridiculous. There will always be people who scam and cheat the system. But in many cases it is people who are already below the poverty line who feel they have no choice but to cheat the system. Not everyone is powered by greed, in many cases it is through necessity.

I am sick of reading posts where people tar all unemployed people with the same brush. Using terms like lazy, drains on society etc. I also don't think moderators should allow.

I have seen on one thread whereby a guy was offered a "job" working for free. He refused to take it, and was berated by people with abuse for being a waster. People would seriously want to get a grip and see what's in front of them.

Schemes like Jobsbridge are extensions of what FAS and its predecessor The Anco. It has been statistically proven that anyone who jobhunt through FAS, is 17% LESS likely to find a job..

http://www.thejournal.ie/looking-for-work-dont-go-through-the-states-back-to-work-plan-report-finds-135800-May2011/
    http://www.esri.ie/publications/latest_publications/view/index.xml?id=3144

My view on Jobsbridge is that it be a much fairer system if the employer had to match the contribution of 50 euro by the state. Or go one further and bring the individual up to the minimum wage. I am sure it is humiliating for individuals to enter companies on a Jobsbridge scheme when they are working alongside other employees doing the same Job , but for twice the pay. Furthermore travel expenses etc may leave the individual financially worse off for an extended period with no guarantees . The employer is receiving free labour. A further dis-incentive for employers to advertise for positions. It would be much more rewarding for unemployed people to approach New Business Start Ups and offer their time there. The experience one would get from working at the start up stage of a business is vast and there is a real potential that a paid role could be created. It's a potential Win-Win the , whereas the only ones who Win with Jobsbridge is employer. Business people , by nature are exploitative and I have no doubt that is what will happen to these people. Of the 6840 internships on Jobsbridge schemes, 797 interns got a job at the end of it? What happened to the other 90% ? Back on the dole perhaps, and better off? Maybe .

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/business/opportunities-in-longford-as-jobbridge-extended-1-3872944

Maybe I am a massive cynic, but I hate seeing people bitching and back biting people of being unemployed. The majority of people are good people and want to work. I am sure people unemployed are doing the best in their situation and the last thing they need is to be kicked when they are down. No ones job is that safe, so remember before you post that you could be on the receiving end one day.

Lets not forget that it is not the unemployed peoples faults that the economy went the way it did. You can blame that on the government you voted for. Maybe your bitchy comments and back biting be better focused in their direction than individuals struggling to get by.

I work thank god, but the majority of Irish do want to work ,but there isn't jobs their anymore unless your a college graduate. The boom times when their was a job to go to. Irish people weren't shy of work! So to call the unemployed who have been laid off in the last few years, lazy, for me is wrong. Employers in first world in the main care more about profits than they do about people working for them. Facts bare this out.

Employers say its about the lack of demand that has caused us to lay off workers. Personally, i find that argument ridiculous, because demand for services and products, increases when more people are at work now off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Irish central provides a headline:
    "The suicide rate in Ireland jumped 16 percent between 2007 and 2009 as the economic crisis hit."
    With no figures, links or sources or context.

No links, sources or context. At least they got a number in there.

THE ECONOMIC recession is leading to increased suicide rates, Independent Waterford TD John Halligan told the Dáil.

Some backbencher's unqualified opinion.

Two news-blog-copy-and-paste links and a TD who quotes 'new figures'.
    20 seconds wasted

stats to 2007
    Suicide rates climbed steadily from 1980 to 2000 then remained relatively stable (500 +/- 10%) for the next decade.

CSO Comparison
    Suicide rates:
    2006 11.6 (Deaths per year per 100,000 population)
    2009 11.8
    2010 10.9
    2011 11.4

People just pick years that agree with what they're trying to prove.

2006 for example was a relatively low year, in 2007 you could make headlines by claiming a 12% jump in suicides. But compare 2007 to 2005 and its a 4% reduction.

I just hate lazy journalism.
    Irish central is probably the worst source for news ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement