Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2012-2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Big move today with felton joining the knicks in a sign and trade off deal. Looks like Linsanity might be leaving NY after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

buyer95 wrote: »
    Big move today with felton joining the knicks in a sign and trade off deal. Looks like Linsanity might be leaving NY after all...
    It's a lot of money for Lin I don't think the rockets expected this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rod Boone:

Melo on Lin saga: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."

nerd69 wrote: »
    It's a lot of money for Lin I don't think the rockets expected this tbh

Well the Rockets rolled the dice offering that big contract, not really expecting to actually get Lin, imo, Knicks hierarchy kept saying they would resign him, but it looks now like the Rockets have got stinged

Jason Kidd arrested last night for drink-driving, Melo making it clear that it will become an issue in the locker room if Lin gets paid, and the Knicks wondering whether to match the Rockets offer or not after acquiring Felton.

What a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

FdgY4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    Melo on Lin saga: "It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."

What a great teammate, eh? This is why you'll never win anything with Melo, plays the same way, totally selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

padraig_f wrote: »
    What a great teammate, eh? This is why you'll never win anything with Melo, plays the same way, totally selfish.

Thats rich coming from Melo talking about ridiculous contracts.

Before we all start Melo hating, what Anthony actually said: “At this point there’s a lot going on. I stay away from that part right now. I would love to see him back, but I think he has to do what’s best for him right now.” It’s not up to me,” Anthony said with a laugh. “It’s up to the organization to say they want to match that ridiculous contract that’s out there.”

Bulls are shopping Rip Hamilton:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/15/bulls-shopping-rip-hamilton-that-was-fast/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Eight months ago, Rip Hamilton was going to be the difference maker for the Bulls. He would be the scoring guard that provided them with the offense they needed to put the whole package together. It was all set.

Then everything fell apart. Hamilton was rarely healthy during the regular season, and just when he got back and the Bulls were ready for the playoff run… well, you know what happened. Derrick Rose went down, the Bulls were eliminated, and now all of a sudden they’re retooling. They may not match on Omer Asik. They traded Kyle Korver to Atlanta (in principle). They let C.J. Watson go. They may let John Lucas III go.

And now they may ditch Rip Hamilton. From the Chicago Tribune:

Along these lines, league sources said the Bulls have shopped Richard Hamilton’s expiring $5 million deal, which carries a mere $1 million guarantee for 2013-14. Thus far, there have been no takers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I think I might look into setting up a trip to NY next year and catch a Knicks v Nets game depending on schedule, I think it could be a great rivalry.

Definitely gonna look into this myself.
    Not been to an NBA game yet and dying to get to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭i_am_joey

killwill wrote: »
    Definitely gonna look into this myself.
    Not been to an NBA game yet and dying to get to one.

no matter what game you watch, your first nba game will be remembered!

i still want to catch steve nash play along kobe before he retires :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Going to NY for 10 days around Thanksgiving, hoping to catch a Nets game at least as I haven't seen them before (nor has anyone else yet come to think of it!), and maybe a Heat game if the scheduling works...I'd imagine there's a good chance they'll be in NY sometime around Thanksgiving giving how US scheduling and TV works. Have seen the Knicks too many times at this stage. Funniest game I was at was a Knicks v Chicago game a few years ago where every time Stephon Marbury touched the ball it seemd like the whole crowd booed. In fairness to Marbury, he didn't look like it was affecting him all that much.

Have been to quite a few games in a few different cities, best atmosphere for me is Boston. The crowd really get into it. That said, I haven't been to OKC....looks like fun there!

But you will definitley remember your first game...unless you go to Washington at Charlotte! :rolleyes:

hahaha watch a game in Charlotte if you just want to see Michael Jordan sitting courtside :D

the knicks wont match lins offer lin could have made more money in nyc from cashing in off linsanity there was some huge advertising deals available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

the knicks wont match lins offer lin could have made more money in nyc from cashing in off linsanity there was some huge advertising deals available

I thought they would match it because the first two years aren't too bad, $5m each, and then the third year they have options, to trade the expiring contract, or as Larry Coon points out today, they can waive the 3rd year and use a stretch-provision to pay that year's salary over 3 years, which would much reduce the luxury tax.

The Knicks have the money and they're in win-now mode. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seems to be a financial decision rather than a basketball one....can't see that Kidd at 39 and Felton are an improvement over Lin.

padraig_f wrote: »
    I thought they would match it because the first two years aren't too bad, $5m each, and then the third year they have options, to trade the expiring contract, or as Larry Coon points out today, they can waive the 3rd year and use a stretch-provision to pay that year's salary over 3 years, which would much reduce the luxury tax.

The Knicks have the money and they're in win-now mode. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seems to be a financial decision rather than a basketball one....can't see that Kidd at 39 and Felton are an improvement over Lin.

i agree but i would have started kidd and felton and put lin in at sg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

i agree but i would have started kidd and felton and put lin in at sg

Ahead of Smith? Would Lin not be a bit physically undersized for the SG role. Surely keeping Lin for the PG role and when it comes to the third year of the deal get rid of either Amare or Chandler contract. With all the injury probs that Amare has had you would have to doubt what kind of minutes he will be giving you by then

stuchyg wrote: »
    Ahead of Smith? Would Lin not be a bit physically undersized for the SG role. Surely keeping Lin for the PG role and when it comes to the third year of the deal get rid of either Amare or Chandler contract. With all the injury probs that Amare has had you would have to doubt what kind of minutes he will be giving you by then

i fergot about smith ya i would have amnestied amare if i was them hes a huge waste of money hes injured to often

its a good thing the knicks didnt match because LIN will be the the 3rd string point guard no matter how you look at it.
    imagine paying a 3rd string PG for that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

So apparently the Lakers are looking into getting Howard. Who would be going the other way?
    Gasol and maybe Sessions?

Am I the only one who thinks Lin will not be a huge loss to Knicks if he leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So apparently the Lakers are looking into getting Howard. Who would be going the other way?
    Gasol and maybe Sessions?

Am I the only one who thinks Lin will not be a huge loss to Knicks if he leaves?

Def Bynum and plenty of picks.. Theres talk now of the Cavaliers been a facilitator in the trade whereas they would get bynum and a lot of picks and Howard goes to the Lakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He's a huge loss in potential revenue given his Asian following, and I don't really see what Houston gain from the contract either. I mean, if he does turn out to be a flop, he'd still be a worthy investment in a big market franchise like the Knicks, but he'd just be an expensive flop with the Rockets unless they completely turn things around there. And they've been trying to do so for a while now. And it doesn't look as if the players who could make that happen are interested.

Bynum has to go somewhere if Howard comes in, still hoping it's a direct trade with us. I'd take him and Metta say (ideally Gasol, but let's be real here), for Howard, Richardson and Turkoglu. But the more I hear, the more it seems like a third party (like Houston) is gonna need to get involved for this to happen.

LIN can be a good player, who knows.
    but he was with houston back then and definitely he cannot be better than kyle lowry or even goran dragic then and look at both of them now as starting PG for toronto and phoenix respectively.

what im seeing is that he will be an all-star the way YAO ming got the votes from the asian groups. but yao to me was an all-star then. LIN now is not like yao so he must prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Antwan Jamison looks to be going to the Lakers on a min 1 year contract.
    Even though he's 36 now I think he'd be by far better than our bench options last year.
    No matter what happens this year we won't be lacking experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭BQQ

Def Bynum and plenty of picks.. Theres talk now of the Cavaliers been a facilitator in the trade whereas they would get bynum and a lot of picks and Howard goes to the Lakers.

Do the Lakers have any picks left?

Gave up loads for Nash already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

BQQ wrote: »
    Do the Lakers have any picks left?

Gave up loads for Nash already.

Honestly im not sure. Thats why they need a 3rd team with the picks Orlando needs to help the trade.

This is dragging out way too long, i understand that the Magic want a great deal for Howard but just get it done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

As a Magic fan, I share your annoyance at how long it's dragged out. But I still feel we should hold out for the best deal. The Cleveland deal on the table has nothing really in it for us, Cleveland and the Lakers do great out of it though. Given that the East is looking relatively weak next year (Miami notwithstanding) with Rose out, Boston still ageing, Knicks minus Lin and the Nets still in transition...I still feel we should aim for the play-offs and not confine ourselves to rebuilding via the draft just yet.

LA have the players to make an attractive trade possible so, now that they're back in the race, I think we're dead right to make them come up with a great deal. That bargaining power is all we have left at this stage. We HAVE to get this right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Regarding the Knicks situation, I think Bill Simmons put it best.
    The Knicks are stupid. Period. But seriously - any time you can flip a 23 year old asset/fan favorite into a washed-up 40 year old and a fat guy, you have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Regarding the Knicks situation, I think Bill Simmons put it best.

Small bit harsh, we haven't seen enough to really judge how good a point guard he will be, I think he will be decent but not spectacular. He wont improve the team drastically in terms of basketball but the franchise will benefit from extra exposure.

New York probably don't need the exposure, they will sell out no matter what and merchandise sales is spread out with all the franchises, any weight issues will surely be addressed before the season starts. So you probably get a better player for less money, makes sense.
    Kidd maybe coming to the end but you cant beat adding such experience.

Advertisement