Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Switch Off - 24/10/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pretty sure every 'famous person turns X on or off' ceremony is faked just in case it screws up or they screw it up ;)

Allegedly the first STD* trunk call in the UK supposedly dialled by the queen was on a hard wired dedicated circuit from end to end...

You'd think that they'd have had a nice big countdown clock in front of Miriam and get her to keep a good eye on it :rolleyes:

* no, not that, the other STD.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

225659.jpg
    The instant she clicks...

Some seconds later (more than 5, less than 30)

225660.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't find my digital video camera manual to see what to change to video TV screen. It had the half the screen dark and half bright.

My still camera is slow with no repetitive shoot mode. So I don't have the shot of Analogue still working after it's "off" in Donnybrook/Montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Signal Gone on Digital Stations from 3Rock...or is my Saorview Box kaput?

Was watching this on an Ariva 120 and when she clicked the mouse, the monitors on the screen went blue and the signal froze on the box (Signal from Greystones Relay)! Looks like my Ariva box didn't agree with the signal temporarily going blip with a fluctuation in the power. Re-started box and all was fine - phew, crisis averted.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Karsini wrote: »
    I was watching Kippure VHF, it stayed on for about 2-3 seconds after the screens went blue in the control room, after that the carrier was lost (black screen) for about one second and then the TX switched off.

The sites are fed by digital (not Saorview, a separate feed) on fibre or Microwave.

So my guess the screen in RTE is before the distribution encoder and we saw what was in the encoder (Dublin) and decoder (sites) buffers.

225663.jpg
    The batcave is not left without Terrestrial TV though...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

ninja900 wrote: »
    You'd think that they'd have had a nice big countdown clock in front of Miriam and get her to keep a good eye on it :rolleyes:

Yea, it's called the floor manager. :D

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    The sites are fed by digital (not Saorview, a separate feed) on fibre or Microwave.

So my guess the screen in RTE is before the distribution encoder and we saw what was in the encoder (Dublin) and decoder (sites) buffers.
    Indeed, it was never going to be an "instant" off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just noticed as of 1130am old Aertel is still being transmitted on Saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Switch off of RTÉ Two at Carin Hill... yeah it's a bit grainy but that's the best reception I would generally get for it up here in Omagh.

I hope to have RTÉ One and TV3 later, didn't have the equipment to cover TG4 unfortunately.

The plug was pulled on TV3 seconds into the start of the Jeremy Kyle show - someone with a sense of humour! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Post on Digital Spy reporting that Clermont Carn is up and running on ch 52.

Poster located in Newtownards, Co. Down reporting strength at 94%, quality 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

Feeling a bit nostalgic now.

The analogue tuner in my TV will never be used again unless I decide to plug in my old Commodore 64 via RF :-D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here in Donnybrook/Dublin the Three Rock Signal just went on the dot.
    Just recorded the last analogue minutes.....:)
    I wonder when we will turn of the Digital signal ..... that will happen one day!
    T2 tuners are mandatory for saorview from January aren't they :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yup, getting 52 here now, much stronger signal than 53, in Trim, Co. Meath.

Weird doing a scan and finding nothing on analogue UHF!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zzap64 wrote: »

The analogue tuner in my TV will never be used again unless I decide to plug in my old Commodore 64 via RF :-D
    You can always look at the cosmic microwave background radiation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

You can always look at the cosmic microwave background radiation :pac:

True and after a while of staring at it, I'll probably be able to "see" some pictures and make up my own TV shows 8-) Do I still need to pay a licence fee for that? ;-)

Setboxes will be €5 in car boot sales when people buy new sets or real PVRs

True and after a while of staring at it, I'll probably be able to "see" some pictures and make up my own TV shows 8-) Do I still need to pay a licence fee for that? ;-)

yes.

One licence covers all the TVs in your house. Are you giving up TV entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

watty wrote: »
    yes.

One licence covers all the TVs in your house. Are you giving up TV entirely?

Well not really, I will get around to getting a box at some stage, but will probably borrow one first to see if I can get enough signal strength from my little indoor aerial.

We don't watch much broadcast TV anyway, DVD, downloads and online players for the most part.

It would be interesting to see if, since no TV in the house is now capable of receiving Irish broadcast TV, does one still need a TV licence? Edit: (Although the Freeview turner in the tele does pick up the RTE digital radio stations...)

Either way they'll be changing the criteria soon anyway to cover laptops and what not I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ITV2 wrote: »
    The look she gave him for correcting her countdown, thats the end of his promotion prospects :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The RTÉNL list of analogue TV frequencies has now been removed from their website - http://www.rtenl.ie/broadcast/analogue-terrestrial-television-att/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thargor wrote: »
    The look she gave him for correcting her countdown, thats the end of his promotion prospects :D

Not really, he'll be soon running RTÉNL as a separate company from RTÉ.

The Cush wrote: »
    The RTÉNL list of analogue TV frequencies has now been removed from their website - http://www.rtenl.ie/broadcast/analogue-terrestrial-television-att/

Sad, end of an era...........have them downloaded for posterity :(

Short video from RTE NL, "Digital Switchover - Making it happen" :
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1024/digital-switchover-television.html

A couple of more shutdown videos captured from Carin Hill, RTÉ One and TV3. I didn't get the TG4 shutdown as I just hadn't the resources to cover all four at the same time. :(

With regards to the count down to switch off (slight) cock-up, they should have had Jedward click the mouse button, excuses for a screw up would have then been perfectly acceptable. :pac:

lawhec wrote: »
    With regards to the count down to switch off (slight) cock-up, they should have had Jedward click the mouse button, excuses for a screw up would have then been perfectly acceptable. :pac:
    Give her a break, she was just getting in sync with the countdown from the floor manager, or worse an earpiece!

Give her a break, she was just getting in sync with the countdown from the floor manager, or worse an earpiece!
    These things happen, it's no huge deal in the big scheme of things but I would have thought they would have rehearsed something on it beforehand.
    Thargor wrote: »
    The look she gave him for correcting her countdown, thats the end of his promotion prospects biggrin.png

225701.jpg

Love the picture........"stop I'm going to do it!"..........
    "NO!...... me ma has no box!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Excellent signal here in Jordanstown Co. Antrim.

Stronger than the Divis PSB multiplexes which is a complete surprise.

BBC1 NI HD now on 143 on Sky for NI viewers. BBC1 HD moved to 976.

Advertisement