Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Beadophiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Sad thing is... I probably don't...LOL
    I actually LIKE spending hours waxing, I find it very theraputic..!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just so ye know lads, after 2 coats of wax, it becomes an exercise of diminishing results. 4 coats, while it's loads of protection, it's a bit of a waste.

I was always under the illusion that 3-4 coats is max and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

vectra wrote: »
    I can seea thread soon.
    "Show us your 845 treated paint"
    :D

. or how about "The CollieWobblers" ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vectra wrote: »
    I was always under the illusion that 3-4 coats is max and that was it.

That's the thing.....ILLUSION :P

Then again, you're a Cork man do there's a lot of illusions and delusions with you folks :pac:

That's the thing.....ILLUSION :P

Then again, you're a Cork man do there's a lot of illusions and delusions with you folks :pac:

W3ll.
    I would prefer to be under an illusion than be disillusioned lol.
    Seriously though.
    I was told by a supplier up to 4 coats is OK.

• Advertisement

That's because you're using more meaning you'll run out faster so you'll have to buy more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Never knew that.:confused:
    How is loads more not better, does more coats remove the lower coats..?
    The concentration of solvents and other ingredients in a wax is a factor as to whether it will remove some of the underlying wax layer. The friction generated while doing so would also be a factor. Even if the wax has a low solvent base, it is better if the first/underlying layer had plenty of time to harden, rather than applying two coats in very quick succession. That would mean applying two coats say 24 hours apart so the car would have to be garaged to avoid dust and dirt in between layers.

If you think about it, no matter how many layers of wax you try to apply, only the base layer is in direct contact with the paint surface. A bare paint surface will take/hold more product at first (regardless whether sealant or wax). The paint surface is uneven or rough at microscopic level, with peaks and valleys (high and low spots). When the crevices are filled in, the surface is evener and smoother, so subsequent applications of product have less and less to fill in or hold onto. Even though a fresh coat of wax may adhere to the wax under it during application and drying, once you buff it (wipe away the excess) you are removing not just the excess but most/all of the fresh wax you laid down as well.

If applying additional wax, the more (layers) you try to add, the more likely you are just wiping most or all of the fresh wax straight back off again during the buffing process. That's presuming that it isn't softening/interfering with the layer under it and possibly removing even more. So, no matter how many applications of wax you apply, you still only have one layer in contact with the paint (possibly more compacted with wax).

I applied the 4 coats over 4 days.. Garaged in-between.
    I think each coat made it shinier, but probably just wishful thinking. :)

It beads very well though:cool:

I knew I'd read something about 4 coats somewhere.. So I asked them :D

aghd_zps5ca7e913.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I knew I'd read something about 4 coats somewhere.. So I asked them :D

aghd_zps5ca7e913.jpg

Sure; they'll tell you that....4 coats means your back to them looking for a new pot of HD wax in half the time! ;)

Curran wrote: »
    Sure; they'll tell you that....4 coats means your back to them looking for a new pot of HD wax in half the time! ;)

The guy I bought some Harly wax from in '08 told me up to four coats if fine. Anynmore and the paint needs to be stripped back to bare again.

The only time I'd consider more than two coats is it I was trying to get extra gloss for a show or something...even at that I'd be thinking to myself that its a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

The only time I'd consider more than two coats is it I was trying to get extra gloss for a show or something...even at that I'd be thinking to myself that its a bit pointless.

wax doesnt really add "shine" to a car though, the polishing beforehand where fine abrasives in the polish cut and refine the paint is where the shine is generated from, the wax merely protects the paint then underneath it,

i can see the reason behind 2 coats to make sure of full coverage but anything more really is a waste imo

wax doesnt really add "shine" to a car though, the polishing beforehand where fine abrasives in the polish cut and refine the paint is where the shine is generated from, the wax merely protects the paint then underneath it,

i can see the reason behind 2 coats to make sure of full coverage but anything more really is a waste imo

Most waxes and quick detailers have gloss enhancers in them. Even in Collinite, there's an oily substance which really increases the gloss of paint and makes water bead very well.

You obviously didnt read any of the previous posts.
    I even said in the post you quoted that "its a bit pointless" and if I was "trying to add exta gloss". I know how shine is achieved! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

You obviously didnt read any of the previous posts.
    I even said in the post you quoted that "its a bit pointless" and if I was "trying to add exta gloss". I know how shine is achieved! ;)

i didnt read them all your right, never bolt a door with a boiled carrot as the man says

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

D/A with menzerna finishing polish plus 2 coats of meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax.

weekaizer wrote: »
    D/A with menzerna finishing polish plus 2 coats of meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax.

If I close my eyes really tightly and imagine as best I can, I can kind of get a picture in my head of how it looks! :P Good work ;):D

If I close my eyes really tightly and imagine as best I can, I can kind of get a picture in my head of how it looks! :P Good work ;):D

Apologies. I must be doting or just sleep deprived!

• Advertisement

Did you wash your car down post polishing?
    Reason I ask is I would have expected better beading. Machine polish is different to hand polish as it contains oils to help lubricate the surface...and these oils hinder the bonding of any other products applied on top.
    A wash down with an All Purpose Cleaner after polishing, would help remove the oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lastnight, not the easiest light for an iPhone camera!

N2fnJrl.jpg

ROdC2qk.jpg

And you call yourself a photographer??? Looks like your dog took those photos :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And you call yourself a photographer??? Looks like your dog took those photos :P

Was too busy photographing a wedding to go take pictures of my car :pac:

Did you wash your car down post polishing?
    Reason I ask is I would have expected better beading. Machine polish is different to hand polish as it contains oils to help lubricate the surface...and these oils hinder the bonding of any other products applied on top.
    A wash down with an All Purpose Cleaner after polishing, would help remove the oils.

No. I buffed off the polish and straight away I applied the wax... I know the beading isn't great but it was literally only a light shower, it rained heavier since an I thought the beading looked a bit better then (no photos though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

so...it rained today
    314373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^

Nice..... but the eye is drawn to the "cracked" windscreen.

Do you see? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

jprboy wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

Nice..... but the eye is drawn to the "cracked" windscreen.

Do you see? :D

Ha ha, now that you mention it thats all I can see in the picture now, stupid reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

zcRyRmi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The Pug after a coat of meguiars ultimate wash and wax.

IMAG1040_zpsbmulxwac.jpg

Advertisement