Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Beadophiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

You badly need to clay your car. That's why your beads aren't as "bubbly" as they should be with Collinite 845.

I did clay the car but I guess i didnt do a great job so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

vectra wrote: »
    Yes,
    Then Polish
    Wash with APC and fairy liquid Mix.
    Rinse
    Rinse
    Dry
    apply 2 coats of 845.
    Ta-daa..

Hang on..
    Polish. Then use an apc over that?
    I don't understand why you'd do that. Will the apc mix not strip the polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hang on..
    Polish. Then use an apc over that?
    I don't understand why you'd do that. Will the apc mix not strip the polish?

Polish to prep the paint.
    APC / Fairy mix to remove any oils from polish as Collinite works better on bare paint.
    You will keep your shine gained in the prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

mikeyod123 wrote: »
    I did clay the car but I guess i didnt do a great job so :(

You should be getting much better beading than that. Is there a layer of dust or dirt on the car since you waxed it? That can also cause bad beading and when you wash the car again, it'll be fine.

vectra wrote: »
    Polish to prep the paint.
    APC / Fairy mix to remove any oils from polish as Collinite works better on bare paint.
    You will keep your shine gained in the prep.

Is that rule specific to Collinite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'd guess he's talking about machine polishing here where you're using a DA or rotary polisher and abrasive compound to correct the paint surface. The polishes used leave a residue which needs to be removed in order to do a good job with sealant and wax.

Nope. See, a polish is mainly used with a polishing machine to remove scratches. All residues should then be removed and a wax applied which bonds to the surface layer of the lacquer.

The likes of SRP are applied by hand and designed to temporarily fill scratches. It's often been said that using another AG product on top of it will give the best benefits as an LSP as they are designed to work together.

The likes of Collinite don't work well on top of the likes of SRP because they aren't designed to work on top of a layer of polish, therefore will not bond like it would to just the top layer of lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Paint sealants bond to paint, carnauba waxes only really stick to it. If the paint surface still contains some polishing oils (after polishing) it can compromise or weaken the bond a paint sealant makes with the surface. In the case of waxes it can reduce adherence to the paint surface and so shorten the durability of the wax.

Some oily polishes or pre-wax cleaners and waxes are designed to work together. They have pros and cons. The polish or pre-wax cleaner (often non-abrasive) contains fillers and glazing oils, so you get a glossier and wetter looking finish, but shorter durability from the wax. This is more suitable for show cars.

Some other polish/pre-wax cleaner and wax combos are cleaner polishes which leave the paint surface "squeaky clean" and dry (in comparison to an oil-heavy polish) so a durable wax will adhere better to the bare surface and so last longer. This a better option for daily drivers. That is why Collinite do a pre-wax cleaner in their range but it is not recommended for use on modern clearcoats. Their products are around that long. Plenty of other products out there that do the polishing or pre-wax cleaning step far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

This beading, though it is alright isn't very impressive. However there is absolutely no (and I mean 15 years and 368,000miles worth of no!!!!) LSP on this car. While drying the car after it's wash for the meet I put 2-4 sprays of OAC Perfection on each panel. It's only been on a couple days but IMO still very impressive for this kind of product. I'm going to see how it holds up at the next wash :)

979D8C996C4A480C88B4857D1A873280-0000363222-0003577681-01024L-21D21F12EE574413AA45B1FFE308F236.jpg

C1DA8CFD130044199DA596E51F3AE3BC-0000363222-0003577680-01024L-1621D86D002649369CA05B7A638A6536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Might have to give that Perfection a go. Good results there.

Rained last night. Got to check out the beading on my fresh coat of Petes 53 :D

20140602_093313_zps2ifwytva.jpg

20140602_093342_zpslyk6g1kt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

A bit of beading kinda on my wheels.

asAKMXx.jpg

Put 2 coats of collinite 845 on them, hoping it'll make washing off brake dust ect easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

Detailed an old 02 focus which I think went well. A few coats of autoglym SRP followed with 2 coats of collinite 845. I think it came out well and gave me the best beading ive seen yet :) and I finally found out how to link the picture in the thread :pac:
    026_zps1bc9b3ae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Put a fresh coat of colinite on it last night and this was it this morning after heavy rain

uzEHZUx.jpg

this beading perhaps looks better but its the same surface after going for a drive and getting lighter rain

sOunyID.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Just to stir things up in the Collinite love in!!. ;)

I've had Collinite 845 and loved it. Using CG Butterwax at the moment but running out and will return to Collinite.

But do I go back to 845 or try 476?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-476s-super-double-coat-wax-18fl-oz/prod_451.html

Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This thread is weird....

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Just to stir things up in the Collinite love in!!. ;)

I've had Collinite 845 and loved it. Using CG Butterwax at the moment but running out and will return to Collinite.

But do I go back to 845 or try 476?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-476s-super-double-coat-wax-18fl-oz/prod_451.html

Any views?

If you're used to 845, you'll just find 476 a pain in the hole to work with. Stick with 845 ;)

If you're used to 845, you'll just find 476 a pain in the hole to work with. Stick with 845 ;)

Is it that hard to use? 845 is a joy to use; is 476 that "sticky" and hard to manage?

Also, thinking of getting myself a DA; I presume this wouldn't affect the choice of wax as it's (the DA) more to do with polish?

Also, out of interest , is there a credible alternative to 845? As mentioned above, I have CG Butterwax and find 845 was much better.

(I'll running out (gunmetal grey e90) so need a wax shortly!)

It's very hard to remove if you put too much on or leave it on too long. I would never go back to 476 now that I know and love 845.

The choice of wax shouldn't concern the D/A at all. It's actually quicker and more enjoyable to apply the wax by hand than to use the D/A.

Is your pain the Sparkling Graphite Metallic (A22)? I've that on my E92 and it looks superb with the 845.

I can seea thread soon.
    "Show us your 845 treated paint"
    :D

It's very hard to remove if you put too much on or leave it on too long. I would never go back to 476 now that I know and love 845.

The choice of wax shouldn't concern the D/A at all. It's actually quicker and more enjoyable to apply the wax by hand than to use the D/A.

Is your pain the Sparkling Graphite Metallic (A22)? I've that on my E92 and it looks superb with the 845.

Yeah, it's A22 - still haven't used 845 on it as had the CG just before I bought it. Looks like it's a bottle of 845 so!

Out of interest MM, if I was to get a DA, what polish would you recommend? I see Menzerna mentioned a lot such as link below

http://www.cleancar.ie/menzerna250mlpolishpack.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Bilt Hamber Finis-Wax
    20140608_120750_zpsqgcrqchu.jpg

Wax I've been asked to test
    20140608_120814_zpslftzrhfv.jpg

Applied them side by side to compare durability - was very easy to apply!

NO Wax :P :P
    20140608_120335_zps7cm8yisk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That looks very well!

Applied to the "test" car (the wife's :P), which hasnt ever seen a polisher....absolutely no protection on it, been months since it was last washed. Snowfoamed, washed, fall out remover, rinsed, let dry and then applied......so FAR from an ideal surface to be applying wax onto, but as I said, its only a test and Finis-Wax is the control to compare it to! :)

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's A22 - still haven't used 845 on it as had the CG just before I bought it. Looks like it's a bottle of 845 so!

Out of interest MM, if I was to get a DA, what polish would you recommend? I see Menzerna mentioned a lot such as link below

http://www.cleancar.ie/menzerna250mlpolishpack.html

German paint needs German polish :D Menzerna is made to be used with German paint so IMO it's your best bet. I use Menzerna for cutting but for finishing I use Chemical Guys V38 finishing polish.

I use Wolfs chemicals polishes for cutting and finishing at the moment with a Das6 pro and mf pads.
    Very pleased with the cutting ability and the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Caught in the rain this aft. Got home, parked in the garage, and took this as I stepped out the car.
    4 coats of AG HD

beading_zps380849e6.jpg

Im def getting that wax !! AWESOME

Just so ye know lads, after 2 coats of wax, it becomes an exercise of diminishing results. 4 coats, while it's loads of protection, it's a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Just so ye know lads, after 2 coats of wax, it becomes an exercise of diminishing results. 4 coats, while it's loads of protection, it's a bit of a waste.

Never knew that.:confused:
    How is loads more not better, does more coats remove the lower coats..?

• Advertisement

No, doesnt do anything to the lower coats - its just that there is no real extra gain from doing loads of extra coats.
    They say to do two coats to ensure you get 100% coverage, as spots are often missed on the first coat.

I suppose to compare it in a way; its like snowfoaming your car once - will do the majority of the job, twice to ensure a good job was done; doing it 3, 4 or 5 times is a bit pointless - no harm though! Im sure you've better things to be doing with your time! :P

Advertisement