Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think the whole demon thing is a waste of time. He wrestles the exact same with or without the body paint so what's the point? It being whored out on a monthly basis in NXT certainly didn't help and now it coming out for his very first PPV match? Why exactly is it supposed to mean anything?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think the whole demon thing is a waste of time. He wrestles the exact same with or without the body paint so what's the point? It being whored out on a monthly basis in NXT certainly didn't help and now it coming out for his very first PPV match? Why exactly is it supposed to mean anything?

I hope it isn't over used but at the moment getting it out there early is to get the young and non NXT fans hooked on him. Just listening to him on Jericho's podcast and all I can think is Halloween there will be so many Demons out there and I am sure Vince will see dollar signs from it and use it to shift loads of merch of some form or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I've been saying it for years, and I still stand by it; Zack Ryder has enough persanolaity, skill and passion to become a main event player. In his current gimmick not so much, but there is simply something there with Ryder. All it will take is the right gimmick change and he can become massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I've been saying it for years, and I still stand by it; Zack Ryder has enough persanolaity, skill and passion to become a main event player. In his current gimmick not so much, but there is simply something there with Ryder. All it will take is the right gimmick change and he can become massive.

Maybe somewhere else. Not in WWE. He's got a better shotat winning the lotto than them pulling the trigger. If he had the skill he could/should try leave and take his own bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I seem to be the only person who thinks that its a good idea to have the colour swap titles. Am I the only one that thought that by the end of the old roster split their was always a title that seemed weaker than their counterpart on the other brand? especially the world and US title. By having the same titles but in different colours, its harder to see one version of a title as superior or holding more prestige

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's not great in the ring though. It would be hard to see him pulling off decent 15-20 minute main event matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

He's not great in the ring though. It would be hard to see him pulling off decent 15-20 minute main event matches.

I genuinely never noticed that about him until you mentioned that as I am such a mark for him, but you're right. It's not that he's bad in the ring, just nothing spectacular, if he was ever to get to a higher position on the card it would be through playing for emotional responses. Either like winning the IC title at mania, or playing the dastardly heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I seem to be the only person who thinks that its a good idea to have the colour swap titles. Am I the only one that thought that by the end of the old roster split their was always a title that seemed weaker than their counterpart on the other brand? especially the world and US title. By having the same titles but in different colours, its harder to see one version of a title as superior or holding more prestige

Which reminds me, did the women's title always have the red background? Now it seems like real forward planning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, it had the red behind the main plate from its introduction.

Sorry, posted this in "random wrestling thoughts" but should have been this thread

I'm expecting hate for this one :P

I've said before that Finn Balor hadn't blown me away in NXT.

I feel terrible for the chap with his injury but I was expecting a monster promo from him on Monday because of his injury and having to relinquish his title but he couldn't even cut a good promo with all that emotion.

I just can't see him bring a huge star without cutting good promos from time to time which he hasn't done yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Sorry, posted this in "random wrestling thoughts" but should have been this thread

I'm expecting hate for this one :P

I've said before that Finn Balor hadn't blown me away in NXT.

I feel terrible for the chap with his injury but I was expecting a monster promo from him on Monday because of his injury and having to relinquish his title but he couldn't even cut a good promo with all that emotion.

I just can't see him bring a huge star without cutting good promos from time to time which he hasn't done yet.

I can't remember Roman ever doing a good promo yet they have never stopped pushing him

sky88 wrote: »
    I can't remember Roman ever doing a good promo yet they have never stopped pushing him

I didn't mention Roman. I don't agree with the Roman push. The top stars in the company should be good promo men IMO.

I don't follow the Indy's so when someone is a great wrestler but can't cut a good promo I don't think he should be top of the card.

A lot of online fans think an unbelievable wrestler should be world champ but for me it's 60-40 good wrestler, good promo.

I didn't mention Roman. I don't agree with the Roman push. The top stars in the company should be good promo men IMO.

Sorry what I meant was the lack of a good promo hasn't hurt reigns push at all so it won't hurt Finn as I think the demon gimmick helps him here.

The top guys haven't always been great on the mic bret for example

Sorry what I meant was the lack of a good promo hasn't hurt reigns push at all so it won't hurt Finn as I think the demon gimmick helps him here.

The top guys haven't always been great on the mic bret for example

I agree about Bret but in 97 he showed he could do it especially as a heel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't follow the Indy's so when someone is a great wrestler but can't cut a good promo I don't think he should be top of the card.

Most of the main roster can't cut promos so that'd be awkward.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Most of the main roster can't cut promos so that'd be awkward.

Again I agree! Something missing in todays WWE.

I think what I'm trying to say is imagine Finn wasn't Irish. Would he be getting Roman Reigns level heat on here?

I think what I'm trying to say is imagine Finn wasn't Irish. Would he be getting Roman Reigns level heat on here?

I don't think so,

I think reigns brings a lot of the heat on himself as his interviews he comes across as bit of a d***

Then of course I think it's the constant over pushing of him by wwe doesn't help. Roman is seen as the companies guy so the hate comes from that I think anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't think so,

I think reigns brings a lot of the heat on himself as his interviews he comes across as bit of a d***

Then of course I think it's the constant over pushing of him by wwe doesn't help. Roman is seen as the companies guy so the hate comes from that I think anyway.

Yeah the difference being that Finn spent years in Japan etc honing his craft and then after spending so long in NXT, longer than usual for a big name coming in. In the eyes of the hardcore fan he isn't being pushed too hard too fast. The casual fans may think differently as they might not know who he is but when they see The Demon Gimmick, his attractiveness to the ladies and the fact that he is really good in the ring I think they will be more willing to accept it. These things will probably get him a pass on the only passable promos too especially when not many others (like the Roman example) are really blowing them out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You have to view fans' reactions to wrestlers in WWE as reactions, in truth, to the way WWE uses them for the most part. If Roman had won the Royal Rumble in 2014 (the year Batista won), for example, he'd have been over as champ because people loved him then. It was that it all became so plodding and predictable after The Shield split that we could see his push coming a mile off, and the fakeness of it all, that people reacted as they did. Reigns is a great in-ring worker, think of someone on the main roster save for AJ Styles who's had as many good-very good matches as he's had this year for example. And if you don't believe me, you know who else thinks the same? Finn Balor! He put over Roman huge on Jericho's podcast after the two wrestled! But fans don't like to feel like they're being manipulated and like to feel in control of the people they like (which isn't new), so his push got a big thumbs down because of that.

Saying A-grade mic skills are a requirement to becoming champ is also like saying a bodybuilder physique is. I mean, sure, it helps, but I can give you a long list of guys who did just fine without them. Wrestling is about finding a package that connects with the audience, THAT'S the goal, nothing else. Body, mic skills, gimmick, likeability...all of these things are devices that can be used to achieve that goal, but at the end of the day you can also have all of these things and still not achieve it. It's not a meritocracy, it's art. You like certain bands and singers for example, I may like others. That doesn't mean one is unequivocally better than another, it's not a competition, it means that in a subjective field people either will or won't connect with certain talent.

Finn connected. And this injury will give him a martyr affect that'll mean he'll connect more when he comes back. So nobody is complaining because they like him, and they don't like Reigns. That's all there is to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

leggo wrote: »
    Finn connected. And this injury will give him a martyr affect that'll mean he'll connect more when he comes back. So nobody is complaining because they like him, and they don't like Reigns. That's all there is to it.

Great post by Leggo and spot on IMO. But this part especially stood out. Those of us old enough to have seen it play out in real time will remember when Austin got injured at SummerSlam 97. Now I am not saying Finn is gonna be an Austin level star, not even close to it. But that injury and Austin being taken away from us just pushed SCSA over the top as OUR man. If done right they could really play up that Finn was the guy us fans wanted and now hes been taken away from us by Rollins. Finn is the guy we wanted on Raw, Finn is the guy that rose to the top on the back of the fans support and now he was taken from us. Its an easy home run story! It practically writes itself. And that will just add to the connection between the fans and Finn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

LeeJM wrote: »
    Its an easy home run story! It practically writes itself.

Doomed to failure with WWE writing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Kelly Kelly would wrestle circles around Sasha Banks:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If Cena has been Injured by Nakamura it could of easily messed up his Hollywood Commitments and they would not be happy with WWE. There's 2 sides to this story but thankfully it's forgotten about now

Cm punk was very overrated in ring wise and was saved by one of the best on the mic ever

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

764dak wrote: »
    Kelly Kelly would wrestle circles around Sasha Banks:

Reminds me how long Alicia Fox has been with WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

the great khali is, quite simply, the greatest technical wrestler the wwe has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Robsweezie wrote: »
    the great khali is, quite simply, the greatest technical wrestler the wwe has ever seen.

Eh that's not unpopular, everyone online thinks the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Cathey Kelley's not all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pentecost wrote: »
    Cathey Kelley's not all that.

Agreed. She's cute and has a dorkyness about her but I think I've honestly, honestly been with better looking chicks.

Advertisement