Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I'm not sure this is an unpopular opinion but natayla is not very good at all really. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a match of hers or that she ever really had a memorable feud. if her last name wasn't Hart I don't think she would be still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is an unpopular opinion but natayla is not very good at all really. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a match of hers or that she ever really had a memorable feud. if her last name wasn't Hart I don't think she would be still there.

Shes capable of having a good match, but shes never (or WWE never) gave me a reason to care about her. At this point I'm conditioned to skip most of her appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The product has got steadily worse since Hulk Hogan left and they should bring him back !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't know what anyone thinks of her but I always thought Alicia Fox was pretty good in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

gimmick wrote: »
    I honestly believe the only rewatchable HHH matches are gimmicked ones. Or where HBK dragged him through.

Have thought this for years. He was very good in 2000 but that's probably down to who he was working with. The Rock was never a very good worker and H came off well as chickensh*t heel in those matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

smilerf wrote: »
    I don't know what anyone thinks of her but I always thought Alicia Fox was pretty good in the ring.

The length of her legs give her a different in ring dynamic to the other women but she's another that I have no reason to care about. The only time she entertained me was the first time she went crazy at ringside but it got old fast.

WWE could release Alicia, Summer, Naomi, Natalya & Tamina and I would barely notice a change. (I think Natalya is a decent wrestler but is pretty much a nothing character so for me she's entirely forgettable if not for her surname or Tyson Kidd who I miss watching)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Summer Rae is an all around better wrestler than Natalya and Charlotte

LeeJM wrote: »
    Summer Rae is an all around better wrestler than Natalya and Charlotte

Ya'd never know that unless you watched superstars. Shes never been given a decent chance.

Exactly. If she got half the push either of those 2 got the "womens revolution" wouldnt be remembered as a joke that was pushed for all of 3 weeks. Sasha, Becky, Paige, Emma and Summer should be the top 5 in that division right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Exactly. If she got half the push either of those 2 got the "womens revolution" wouldnt be remembered as a joke that was pushed for all of 3 weeks. Sasha, Becky, Paige, Emma and Summer should be the top 5 in that division right now.

Which of them would be capable of being a better heel than Charlotte is right now? Charlotte is an excellent heel and sometimes that goes under the radar because the wrestling community that is the Internet tends to overvalue heels who are popular over heels that are heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Sasha was a very good heel in NXT. More so than Charlotte ever was. Though I must say I do think Charlotte is doing well.

CSF wrote: »
    Which of them would be capable of being a better heel than Charlotte is right now? Charlotte is an excellent heel and sometimes that goes under the radar because the wrestling community that is the Internet tends to overvalue heels who are popular over heels that are heels.

I will give her props, Charlotte has done better than I thought she would. Excellent is wildly overrating her IMO. She has done well since turning but thats about it. Sasha, Summer and Emma could all be much better as the lead heel, but then again their second name isnt Flair.

Also all of the wrestling community is the Internet. The dreaded IWC died yrs ago. All types of fan now composes the Internet Wrestling Community. Just the opinions of some are rightfully (IMO) more listened to than others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't really like Charlotte but think she has been doing very well as a heel. I used to think Nattie was bland but very good in the ring but I find myself less impressed by her in ring these days and instead think of her as the bland crazy cat lady named Hart. I find her promos somewhat painful though like her explaining her heel turn on Becky.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not a fan of sasha banks actually. I'm not as high as most seem to be on her. She good on the ring but her character hasn't got much outside of the boss.

if she was half the character and just as highly regarded as becky is with the company she's doing well.

Some of the tweets and Instagram stuff she's put out come across a whinging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Charlotte is an excellent heel. She has managed to make herself completely unlikable, retain an aura of importance and credibility. That is all despite the terrible storylines, writing and presentation of the division since Mania.

I will give her props, Charlotte has done better than I thought she would. Excellent is wildly overrating her IMO. She has done well since turning but thats about it. Sasha, Summer and Emma could all be much better as the lead heel, but then again their second name isnt Flair.

Also all of the wrestling community is the Internet. The dreaded IWC died yrs ago. All types of fan now composes the Internet Wrestling Community. Just the opinions of some are rightfully (IMO) more listened to than others.

I was trying to be polite and not use the term smark. Is boards forum post types are clearly a different kettle of fish to the lad who spends his time on Twitter telling the Heath Slater how the Social Outcasts should be champions!!!

I'll put it this way, who was the last female wrestler to have genuine heel heat? Before that we've had the Bellas/Paige and AJ who've all flipflopped between a heel and a face and a tweener (sometimes all within the course of a feud) without ever really making you want the face to beat the heel (still the dynamic for almost all the best WWE feuds IMO) whereas Charlotte has the heel role down properly in all her feuds, doesn't try to get heel cheers and that will help Sasha remain over if she's going for the title at Summerslam (it's there to be written if WWE decide to put a monent's effort into it).

It's all well and good that some might think Emma or Summer are better in the ring but neither of them seem to be able to work a mic or a feud the way Charlotte can and that is absolutely crucial when you're at the top of the division. That'll be what makes or breaks Sasha IMO. They've been very careful in how they've used her so far but if she's gonna be champion and it's not gonna be an afterthought.

Nikki Bella had legit heel heat for a while post turning on Brie. Before that you are probably going back to Maryse and then Mickie James, Lita and Trish. But the failings of those before doesnt mean that the women I mentioned would fail. Like I said Charlotte has done better than I thought she would but that really was a low bar that I set for her. And I still dont think she has done anything above acceptable.

She is the Reigns of the womens division with the exception that Reigns has good-great matches at least twice a month. And I do think Summer and Emma could work a mic and story better than Charlotte. But chances are we will never find out as they probably wont ever get a push. Emma unfortunately got injured just as things seemed set up for her and Im sure being Zack Ryders other half has done more damage than good to her rep backstage among some. And Summer has been totally misused since the Rusev/Summer Ziggler/Lana feud. She was the star of that sh*t show. She has charisma and character just oozing from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As I was just saying to someone, Paige and Summer were called up at a bad time because all WWE were interested in then was Total Divas which ruined what was left of the women's division.

My memory of the Nikki Bella thing was that they didn't have her actually act like a heel for very long because they know how many kids worship the Bellas, so they kind of halfassed it.

The Charlotte/Reigns comparison doesn't really work IMO. Charlotte is a heel being a heel, getting the heat you want your heel to get. Reigns is a heel being a face getting the heat you want your heel to get. Charlotte doing what she's supposed to well, Reigns completely screwing up at getting over the way he's supposed to be. As for the matches thing, Reigns is having these matches against the best in the world in matches specifically intended to make him look good. Charlotte doesn't have that luxury at all because the quality of women in WWE is clearly significantly lower than the quality of the men (well the ones at the top that Reigns goes against anyway).

Obviously Emma and Summer Rae haven't been booked well at all (because WWE haven't had an interest) but they're not the first to be given little and others have still managed to make more from little. Charlotte obviously benefits from being a Flair but she has done well with what she has gotten since moving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

DM_7 wrote: »
    Charlotte is an excellent heel. She has managed to make herself completely unlikable, retain an aura of importance and credibility. That is all despite the terrible storylines, writing and presentation of the division since Mania.

Charlotte was completely unlikable even as a baby face. If her last name wasn't that of Triple H's idol, she never would have made it any higher than being a job girl in NXT. The fact that she is still completely unlikable is giving her way too much credit.
    My memory of the Nikki Bella thing was that they didn't have her actually act like a heel for very long because they know how many kids worship the Bellas, so they kind of halfassed it.

The Bellas were booked and presented as heels (at least as much as WWE did with Divas at the time) and even acted like heels with the popular girl stuff they were doing with Eva, but would turn themselves baby faces as soon as the match started, then back heel after the bell. Outside of Twin Magic, they were clueless as to how to wrestle as heels, especially Brie. Copying her insanely popular but injured husbands signature moves in almost every match while being booked as a heel the rest of the time was just retarded. I doubt she was told to go out there and act like a baby face.

• Advertisement

Roman Reigns isnt the problem with WWE.

My take on him and his career in the last 2 years is not black and white about him being good or being bad. While he has been the recipient of a fairly strong singles push, he has also been the victim of awful execution of said push by WWE creative.

My opinion of him is that he can work. Hes not AJ Styles or even a John Cena yet, but hes capable of having good matches. Ive enjoyed both his matches with AJ this year as well as the triple threat match from Feb at Fastlane. His match with Hunter was passable but the awful build really gave fans zero to care for.

He can be fine on the mic, but hes is handicapped by the awful drivel WWE writers give him. He benefit by saying less and keeping the silly jokes away from his promos. The AJ feud had a few decent, short but sweet promos from Reigns to show he was on the right track.

Romans still not ready for the Main Event IMO, but its not his fault WWE have put him there.

The blame should be with Vince and WWE creative. The have handled his whole push badly. And its sucks that he got himself suspended when his character was slowly going in the right direction since Mania.

But hes just another victim of awful WWE booking. Ziggler, Big E, Cesaro, and Most of the roster, has been mishandled in the last half a decade.

Apart from Cena, perhaps Jericho, its hard to think of anyone thats been booked in an excellent way.

Ambrose : Made look like a comedy act for a year and a half, when he finally wins the title, it doesnt mean half as much as it should.

Cesaro : Fans were crying out for him to be pushed hard. While I can see the reservations about him from a promo perspective, a better writing team could book to his strengths and hid his weaknesses. Seems to never be able to break through the glass ceiling.

Ziggler : He was so hot when he cashed in his MITB case, yet 5 years on I cant stand the sight of him. WWE had no clue what to do with the guy, who arguable has all the tools to be a Shawn Michaels type worker. Bad feud after bad Feud after bad feud, all of which were poorly booked, have made him an utterly unlikable character.

Kevin Owens : He could have been so much bigger if they let him beat Cena. He was ready and hes still the MVP of WWE IMO, yet hes stuck in the mid card. Again poor booking hasnt helped him, all of his feuds, while entertaining could have been so much better had more thought been put into them. Hes a main eventer treated as a mid card guy.

Seth Rollins : the booking of him after Mania should have been his stairway to the Main Event status, yet he was booked as a cowardly heel for the duration of his title run. Thats fine for a mid carder, but not for the top guy. He should have been booked more like hunter was when he first made it to the top, yet instead of a mean streak, Seth was given a yellow streak. He wasnt a crediable champ figure.

I could go on, lads liek Fandango, Breeze, Kalisto, Rusev, AJ Styles, Bray Wyatt, all could have been booked stronger,better and in turn they all could be better stars than they are, which would make Raw a better show to watch. WWE creative is just lazy, rushed and in places nonsensical pandering to Vince and what he thinks works.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

As good as he is, Kevin Owens will never be seen as the face of the company or even a long term main eventer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

As good as he is, Kevin Owens will never be seen as the face of the company or even a long term main eventer.

More a sad truth than unpopular! He was initially pushed as a CM Punk-level guy but he just loses every feud he's in; the only reason he's not lower down is because he is f**king fantastic in ring and on the mic; his talent can't be denied. I think he'll settle in a Jericho-level role (i.e. sub-main event guy that will have some main events but always loses to the real stars). I hate lowering what's acceptable by saying "at least" but at least he's a regular on WWE RAW, something I never thought would happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can see him featuring in the upper part of the card for the forseeable future.

The reason I feel WWE would never consider him the face of the company is because his image is not marketable, when people think WWE they think muscle bound men not a fat guy in long polyester shorts and a wifebeater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Owens would need a crossover moment, like Punk's pipe bomb for example, to become the face of the company. He can't be 'the guy' through conventional pushes because there's always the factor of people tuning in, seeing his aforementioned look and saying "wow WWE have really gone downhill..." because fans have been trained to expect one thing. Like if Ricky Gervais was announced as the lead for the new Terminator movie. It's not saying he doesn't have the talent to pull it off, the visual would just be too weird to click with anything more than a niche audience though.

But if he had a big moment that got crossover attention in the media etc, his distinctiveness would then make him very marketable. And he's so talented I wouldn't bet against this happening. Based on their use of him, WWE seem to value him highly (while also recognising the above limitations at the top of the card) so he'll likely get a lot of opportunities to do so and then the rest is up to him. I think the brand split is going to be a godsend for him tbh.

Ziggler is a better choice for champion than Ambrose.

Ryder could be pushed to upper mid card if not saddled with mojo.

Breezango should be the first smackdown tag champs when the titles are officially announced.

ADR should be one of the very top smackdown guys.

I was really looking forward to Reigns v Rusev (before it was given away on raw)

I think it made sense to have Balor appear as the demon before SS as not all fans would watch NXT.

Ryder could be pushed to upper mid card if not saddled with mojo.

Breezango should be the first smackdown tag champs when the titles are officially announced.

I was really looking forward to Reigns v Rusev (before it was given away on raw)

I think it made sense to have Balor appear as the demon before SS as not all fans would watch NXT.

Those are all definitely unpopular opinions with me anyway so definitely the right thread ;)

Those are all definitely unpopular opinions with me anyway so definitely the right thread ;)

I was genuinely shocked none of my friends that like wrestling agree with me on these (apart from reigns v rusev) so thought they would fit in here! :D

If done right (and Im currently enjoying their feud despite the failings in both characters until their feud began). Both characters are rehabing nicely and I wouldnt say your opinion is unpopular though.
    Ryder could be pushed to upper mid card if not saddled with mojo
    . Ah i like Ryder, he's a trier, but he has limited skills. I think the mid-card is where hes at at most. I do however think WWE could have got more milage out of him a few years ago.
    Again, I wouldnt say this is an unpopular opinion. I love both guys, but they need more to be seen as more than just a comedy act first.

His time is up. He was wasted since he returned. Creative never had anything for him past a surprise return beating Cena and even that made no sense. From what Ive heard hes not in Hunters good books but was brought back to be a top name for the mexican tour when they needed a latin star name.
    Love Rusev, but Roman sucks the life out of everything these days.

I wouldnt actually call any of these points unpopular. Reasonable and debatable but not unpopular. I think The Demon should be used sparingly after Summerslam for Balors sake. Im already sick of the name Demon King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

An unpopular wrestling opinion to some is that Vince Russo contributed sweet **** all to pro wrestling and he was shown up when he went to wcw and helped sink that ship even further. Vince Russo is a wart on wrestling history.

Advertisement