Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Two or three times in the last couple of weeks, I’ve heard female presenters on radio stations saying similar things: it’s great to see women supporting women or it’s the way things should be, women supporting women. I think a male presenter (or men in general) would be taking a risk if they said something similar in reverse i.e. it’s great to see men supporting men or it’s the way things should be, men supporting men.

I also sometimes see hashtags like #womanownedbusiness (not sure it is exactly that) and the like.

Another similar example: I saw a discussion on boards on the next general election. Someone pointed out that a particular candidate could have an edge due to the women’s vote. I’ve seen this mentioned before and indeed I’ve seen female candidates appeal to it in a way that would likely be unpopular if a man did it.

I’ve read before women have much stronger (4 times was one figure I saw) in group bias than men. It may be why they can believe the patriarchy could be so strong: women could believe men have a preference to support men in the way women have a preference to support women.

Post edited by iptba on

State funding for sporting bodies will be cut by 50pc if gender rule not met

Women must make up 40pc of boards or money will be halved

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-funding-for-sporting-bodies-will-be-cut-by-50pc-if-gender-rule-not-met/a834695277.html

40% seems a high threshold to avoid such a harsh punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

As only 23% of TDs are women are the government going to cut TDs salary in half until the Dáil also meets their 40% target. Or are laws just for little people?

[I'm spending less time on Twitter these days and particularly rarely look at what is trending.]

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags/items I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)

(Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

I also threw in some other posts as I didn't want to post too frequently.

#IWD23

#HerMoves

“There will be a new Sports Capital Grants programme in 2023 but it will be different with greater emphasis on equality, diversity and disability” Minister ⁦@ThomasByrneTD

⁩ speaking ⁦@sportireland

⁩ launch of #HerMoves

#InternationalWomensDay

#girlpower  

#LetWomenSpeak

#NWC50

#LetWomenSpeak

Didn't trend but I thought I would mention:

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/oupacademic/status/1631519772621012992?s=46&t=fB55_-omyDIDREBokX-E6Q

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/rcsed/status/1631731166536663041?s=46&t=fB55_-omyDIDREBokX-E6Q

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/salesforcejobs/status/1655467568851980290?s=46&t=fB55_-omyDIDREBokX-E6Q

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/CommunityFound/status/1646193491490340864?s=20

(last time I checked they had a fund for women but not men)

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/ftlive/status/1633437200472842241

mentions equality but the event is only about helping women

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/skillnetireland/status/1666095391174176770

Twitter ad:

https://twitter.com/merckhealthcare/status/1695345339283202208

various slides including one that says 38% of company's leadership team are women with the next one saying "we aspire to achieve gender parity in all leadership positions by 2030" which brings up the question whether there will be discrimination against men/in favour of women in the intermediate period

Women-only initiative:

Sponsored piece in the Irish Examiner

Efforts to achieve equal representation in STEM continue to face challenges

Fiona Croke, global talent acquisition lead for Ireland, discusses the progress made, the road ahead and the role MSD Ireland is playing in levelling the playing field

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sponsored/arid-41239057.html

Women paid €3 less than men for every hour worked last year

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/women-paid-3-less-than-men-for-every-hour-worked-last-year/a1599884094.html

Uses what could be described as an emotive image of men looking down on women/women looking up on men.

“Younger women (aged 15-24) earned €0.03 more than men their age last year. But women aged 50-59 earned 16.7pc less than their male counterparts, or €27.51 per hour compared to €33.03 for men.”

No mention as usual about other gender gaps that might favour women e.g. women exposed to less danger in the workplace; men commuting longer for work; etc.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, Irish Times subscribers only

‘How does a father in Ireland have a relationship with his children when the mother prevents it?’

Tell Me About It: ‘Everyone I have spoken to – guards, therapists, doctors, clinical psychologists and lawyers – openly admit the Irish legal system is unfair against fathers’

Wed Oct 18 2023 - 06:01

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/your-wellness/2023/10/18/how-does-a-father-in-ireland-have-a-relationship-with-his-children-when-the-mother-prevents-it

I did the Parentline – Parenting While Separated – course which stresses the importance of communications between co-parents, but my wife refuses to communicate with me properly.

Also, how can a man deal with an impossibly angry woman? She is lovely and polite and quiet and comes from a good family, but when she explodes, she is a different person. She is scary. How do you treat false allegations? When she starts shouting at me or when she used to hit me, as a man I feel defenceless against a woman’s aggression. I know how to stand up to an aggressive man, but how does a man protect himself from an aggressive woman?

How does a father in Ireland have a relationship with his children when the mother prevents it? How do you help someone who refuses help?

Feminist Communities for Climate Justice is a campaign for climate justice that reflects feministand community work values. We mobilise communities, ensuring social inclusion and equality are central to climate policies and programmes.

This partnership between the National Women’s Council and Community Work Ireland amplifies the voices of women and marginalised communities that are most impacted by climate change, building momentum in communities to engage, understand and influence climate policies.

[..]

Feminist Communities for Climate Justice is a part of the Community Climate Action Programme: Climate Education, Capacity Building and Learning by Doing (Strand 2) and is funded by the Government of Ireland through the Department of Environment Climate and Communications

From: https://www.nwci.ie/discover/what_we_do/feminist_communities_for_climate_justice

Another women are worst/most affected claim.

Parenting: Helping young dads to challenge stereotypes

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Interesting juxtapositioning of two high profile murder trials ( Puska and Martens) that came to a conclusion on the very same day. RTE were quick out of the gate with an expert feminazi saying how the P case was indicative of endemic societal misogyny (translation: all men are evil) yet no such equivalent nonsensical claim or correlation on foot of the Martens case that misandry is rampant. Misandry? Wat be dat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That would be seen as helping the "oppressor class" or helping the "privileged group" under these left wing narratives. Helping boys in school or helping them choose teaching as a career will be deemed as sexist by feminist (and female teachers who usually are feminists) as boys cannot and do not face imbalanced due to being male.

The decline of men in teaching has little to do with any leftist or feminist narratives, not least for the fact that they have feckall influence in the Irish education system. A lot of it has more to do with factors like the decline of single-sex schools, the decline in the social status of the teaching profession, and really just the pay is shyte for the amount of work they’re putting in and the growing demands and responsibilities that are being foisted upon them by the DOE.

It’s not just that they can’t get men into teaching, they can’t get women into teaching either, in spite of all the campaigns that actually have been launched to try and promote the teaching profession and get more men into teaching. Teacher shortages have been a major issue for at least the last decade, since 2011 when the starting salary for newly qualified teachers was cut and even then they weren’t getting full hours. New teachers simply can’t afford to live on the salaries they’re getting, and there are more attractive job opportunities abroad.

At the top you have Norma Foley (staunch FF stock), a former teacher who is the current Minister for Education (the pay’s better), and Aodhán Ó Ríordáin in opposition (Labour, so not likely to be in any position of influence any time soon), a former Principal (pay is still better as a politician), who epitomises Lefty weirdness in his attempts to undermine the Irish education system.

The less said about him the better, but suffice to say it’s not just about getting more men into the profession, it’s still about employing the right person for the role, and given 90% of primary schools are under the ethos of the Catholic Church, your ideas about Feminism or Leftie ideologies gaining any traction in the Irish education system is about as likely to happen as Aodhán’s ideas of getting religion out of schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

How long before they start to claim Martens is the victim? Or blameit all on her father.

Marie Cassidy: ‘It’s the man in your bed you should be worried about, not the man under your bed’

Former state pathologist acknowledges that to do the stressful job: ‘You have to have a certain personality, a very odd personality’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/2023/11/18/marie-cassidy-its-the-man-in-your-bed-not-the-man-under-your-bed-you-should-be-worried-about

For years, Cassidy made regular appearances in the media and became a role model for women interested in science. Asked if she considered herself a feminist, she shrugs.

“I don’t see myself as a ‘feminist feminist’, I just believe in equality and fairness for everyone,” she says. “I’ve not really thought of myself as championing women, but I can understand how me doing what I did would mean that girls and women would look and think ‘maybe I will consider that’.”

It may be no coincidence that the Office of the State Pathologist now has an all-female team of consultants.

====

I don't understand the logic of the last sentence.

But all-male teams are generally these days not seen as good things but for some reason it's different when they're all-female.

Brianna Parkins: My dearest niece, here are all the mistakes I have made so you don’t have to, A birthday card to my niece who won’t listen to any of my advice, because I didn’t at her age either

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/people/2023/11/18/brianna-parkins-my-dearest-niece-here-are-the-all-the-mistakes-i-have-made-so-you-dont-have-to

"Your grandad (my dad) once told me “men are no good in their 20s trust me”. They’re fighting their own battles figuring out who they are, and unfortunately some young blokes think masculinity is defined by how badly they treat women."

I wonder would the Irish Times publish the same written by a man with the genders reversed

"Your grandma (my mum) once told me “women are no good in their 20s trust me”. They’re fighting their own battles figuring out who they are, and unfortunately some young women think femininity is defined by how badly they treat men."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hopefully the pay per hour stays similar to what it is now. Slight lead for women or men is irrelevant. But if it starts sliding in favour of women there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

@One eyed Jack

The decline of men in teaching has little to do with any leftist or feminist narratives, not least for the fact that they have feckall influence in the Irish education system. A lot of it has more to do with factors like the decline of single-sex schools, the decline in the social status of the teaching profession, and really just the pay is shyte for the amount of work they’re putting in and the growing demands and responsibilities that are being foisted upon them by the DOE

If you read my post carefully, I was referring to the lack of supports for men/boys in following a teaching career. Such as the lack of male scholarships or bursaries etc. I did not directly state that the lack of men in teaching is to do with feminism or leftism. I said the lack of programmes being established is more to do with that. Whereas male dominated areas have hundreds of millions of tax pouring into programmes for girls/women in there already, or to encourage them in. (also notably minority men are blocked from most of these).

However your comment that lack of men in teaching being to do with low salary, stress, and other issues is on point. But there are also views that are specific to men as in men not always trusted around children (paedophiles) when men go into childcare, early years education etc. Men are simply not trusted around children and this has been getting worse in recent decades. There are prejudices there for sure that would make men nervous which would allow me to pivot back to what you said about the decline of same-sex schools. Men often don't want to be around girls which is also to do with how men are seen in these areas imo. One of the audio articles I linked to was of a male teacher in a boy's school which is 50% male staff which is huge when compared to the average. It does look like men will work with boys more. I think this is why we need boy and men mentorship programmes run my men's advocates. This is slowly being established in Canada, but that another topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

@iptba

I don't understand the logic of the last sentence.

But all-male teams are generally these days not seen as good things but for some reason it's different when they're all-female.

Um.. because feminists are total **** hypocrites? Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I did read your post carefully, where you suggested to cms88 that the lack of supports to encourage boys and men into teaching is somehow the fault of feminists who would perceive such supports to be sexist. You wrote that it would be -

seen as helping the "oppressor class" or helping the "privileged group" under these left wing narratives. Helping boys in school or helping them choose teaching as a career will be deemed as sexist by feminist (and female teachers who usually are feminists) as boys cannot and do not face imbalanced due to being male.

That's me quoting directly. The few existing scholarships or bursaries in teaching are available to anyone regardless of their sex. Male dominated areas certainly do not have hundreds of millions of tax pouring into programmes for girls/women to encourage them in. These initiatives are as successful in encouraging women into STEM as any initiatives to encourage more men into teaching (we'll ignore the fact for now that most principals and professors are men), but by way of giving you an example - I don't know if you're familiar with what some feminists actually get wound up about, or the Athena SWAN programme, but it came up previously in the experiences of sexism thread here -

The above sort of tokenism reminds me of a conference I was at last year regarding the future of education in Ireland, and one of the speakers was from the UK, and she was giving it welly about the lack of women and BME at third level, which was definitely more relevant in a UK context. It's as though she hadn't even thought of her audience and tailored her presentation accordingly, when the room was filled with Casper white Irish women and only a handful of men.

Now granted it was a teacher training college so I didn't expect much variance in the audience, but that didn't stop this woman going on to talk about how there weren't enough women in STEM, and how it was mostly socially awkward men (I'd lost the will to listen at this stage), before she moved on to the topic of 'unconscious bias', without so much as stopping for a breather to spot the irony.

The idea that men don't want to be around girls is new to me, frankly, but I can see why you'd think it would be an issue for men who imagine that they could likely be accused of being a pervert ('paedo' is too strong, I'm not about to let the handful of men who historically entered careers and roles in society which gave them the opportunities to abuse young boys and girls with impunity, tarnish men as a whole), but that's an issue for those men themselves, it's not something for the teaching profession to concern themselves with. What you're seeing is an increase in people who aren't as willing to defer to authority as they were in the past, and that's become an issue for the teaching profession in general as far as discipline is concerned.

There were a number of factors involved in the decline of same-sex schools, but I'm still not sure as to who you expect should address the discrepancy in teaching among men and women when by your own standards, it would be seen as helping the people whom you perceive as the oppressed class, when men themselves don't see themselves the way you do -

That said, repeat colleges are not teeming with disappointed males hell bent on teaching. The number of boys applying for courses in education is dropping fast and the profession of teaching is viewed very differently by male and female schoolgoers. Whereas girls view teaching as a rewarding, academic, professional occupation, boys tend to view it as a "nurturing" job, and one best left to the girls.

UCD's Head of Education, Sheelagh Drudy, is an authority on attitudes to teaching in Ireland. In a study of 1,049 secondary students, Drudy found that the female perception of teaching as a profession is far more favourable than the male perception. According to Drudy's study, student attitudes to primary and second-level teaching, in comparison to engineering, television production, computer programming, social work, medicine, law and accountancy, were statistically different according to the gender of the interviewee. Girls were most likely to see social work and primary teaching as offering job satisfaction, while boys suggested engineering, computer programming and television production.

Gender dominance in any profession is self-perpetuating. As more female students are guided into teaching by the female role models that they encounter each day at school, ever more role models are created, continuing the cycle. The lack of role models for boys in the education system has been blamed not only for the drop in male applicants to teaching but also for the wider academic malaise that has stricken many boys at school in recent years. Neither Mullen nor Drudy have found any evidence to back this up.

"The evidence suggests that we should be wary of attributing patterns of male underachievement to women teachers. The problem is more complex, multi-faceted and embedded in the social structure," Drudy says.

Above article was written 20 years ago, could write the same article today, and will probably write the same article again in another 20 years time!

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

I think this is why we need boy and men mentorship programmes run my men's advocates. This is slowly being established in Canada, but that another topic.

Can you elaborate

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/12/08/an-post-keeps-gender-pay-gap-at-zero-as-female-recruitment-push-continues/

An Post keeps gender pay gap at zero as female recruitment push continues

The company says it now has a negative mean, or average, gender pay gap of 3.8 per cent

[..]

An Post also reported a 7 per cent increase in new female employees in 2023 as well as a 30 per cent growth in female representation within the senior management group since 2019.

[..]

Female postal operatives on the company’s frontline postal collection and delivery operation grew by 8 per cent between 2022 and 2023, increasing from 13 per cent to 14 per cent of all postal operatives. The postal operative role, of which there are 6,406 country-wide, is traditionally heavily male-dominated, with a high retention and low turnover rate. “As a result, it is taking longer to move the gender dial in this cohort with vacancies arising only sporadically as people retire or are promoted across the country,” the company said.

--

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some discrimination against some men in terms of boat recruitment and promotion within the company.

I wouldn't fancy my chances of being promoted in any state jobs nowadays as a man.

• Advertisement

Zero chance. Self identify as a woman and up ya go. The HSE for example.

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/gender-pay-gap-at-dept-of-equality-widened-this-year/a732262486.html

The gender pay gap at the Department of Equality has widened since last year.

Women at the department were already paid slightly more than men, on average, last year.

The difference has risen to -5.2pc, from -3.6pc last year, the Department said in its 2023 gender pay gap report. A negative pay gap is one where the pay difference is in favour of women.

[..]

When measured in median terms — the mid-point between the highest and lowest salaries, which can strip out distortions at the top or bottom of the pay scale — the gap widens even further to -13.1pc.

[..]

Ireland’s new pay gap legislation, which was overseen by the Department of Equality, is now in its second year of operation, requiring companies with more than 250 staff to report on differences in average hourly pay between males and females across the business.

[..]

The revelations come after the Financial Services Union called on Ireland’s three main retail banks to urgently address their “very worrying” gender pay gaps. The average gap across the three banks — AIB, Bank of Ireland and PTSB — is almost 19pc, falling to just under 14pc in median terms.

https://www.independent.ie/business/jobs/men-still-paid-more-than-women-at-85pc-of-irish-firms/a1338593673.html

Men still paid more than women at 85pc of Irish firms

The gender pay gap has narrowed to 10.3pc from 11.4 over the past year, Citris study says

[..]

“In our experience, the majority of companies have good intent and are implementing changes to achieve a more balanced gender representation across all seniority levels in their organisations.”

Which likely translates in many cases to preferential treatment being given to some women/some men being disadvantaged/discriminated against because of their gender.

Tackling the dad bod: Meet the Irish trainer challenging the stereotype of the ‘fat, stupid and lazy’ father

[..]

Peppa PigThe SimpsonsFamily Guy,” says Kevin Boyle, “In all of those, the dad is fat and stupid. That’s the theme. Fat, stupid and lazy.”

—-

https://www.independent.ie/life/tackling-the-dad-bod-meet-the-irish-trainer-challenging-the-stereotype-of-the-fat-stupid-and-lazy-father/a2034246285.html

I no longer have access to premium content in the Irish Independent but I thought this was interesting by itself in terms of the portrayal of men in some mainstream media output.

Wasn’t sure which thread to post this to. This was just covered on the 9 o’clock news (didn’t see the start)

Almost 60% of Irish people have never attended women's sports event

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41305351.html

Irish people are five times more likely to attend a premier men’s event in person than an equivalent premier female event

[..]

The research, commissioned by Ladies Football National League sponsors Lidl 

—-

Anyway, I thought this was interesting:

Of the 25% of the population who do attend live female sporting events, 57% are more likely to be male compared to 43% femaie. Parents of participating children are also more active in attending female fixtures.

Demonisation of single, migrant men has bounced from far-right into the mainstream

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/01/10/kathy-sheridan-when-did-the-so-called-male-denomination-become-something-to-be-feared

[..]

The department’s announcement that the emergency centre in Ballinrobe would not be going to single males as intended but to families was just another in a long list of shelters deliberately described for what they were not: “Not a centre for single males.”

A protester called Padraig told Newstalk they were quite aware that “Ireland and Ballinrobe isn’t full, there’s a lot of unused buildings in Ballinrobe. This current building... it’s 25 feet from a creche,” he said and the creche owner had had nothing but calls from parents saying they didn’t want their children to go into that creche. “It’s men [we are protesting against]...” There would be a similar reaction he said, “if there was 50 strange Mayo men put into it”.

—-

Damian Ryan, local Fianna Fáil councillor and protester, repeatedly referred to “the male denomination” as the problem while repeatedly refusing to say why.

—-

I haven’t followed the refugee issue closely but men certainly haven’t been treated as the privileged gender in the matter as so many claim we are. The State has enacted explicit gender discrimination in terms of how it has dealt with providing shelter for those applying for international protection.

The author of this piece doesn’t avoid demonising men herself in the piece for example highlighting the risk men women know can cause to them e.g. "It's the man in your bed you need to worry about, not the man under your bed".

Also she says:

”The irony is powerful. For decades women characterised as “feminazis” were accused by some of those ranting, youngish, right-wing males of demonising boys and men. Now in order to fully dehumanise refugees and migrants, the ageing accusers must attack that very thing they got high on defending for so long” which gives the impression it is only men who are complaining about men applying for international protection. Nor does she know that the men who complained about feminists demonising men and boys are the ones “dehumanising” refugees and migrants.

President criticises use of science and technology advances ‘as tools of war and destruction’

Higgins opens BT Young Scientist & Technology exhibition with call for regulation of AI and better gender balance in Stem

[..]

Mr Higgins said he was delighted to see great advancements in the number of girls and women engaged in science, but a considerable gender gap still existed. On a headcount basis, just over 35 per cent of all those engaged in Stem research in Ireland were female, compared with more than 50 per cent elsewhere.

“We must ask: are third-level institutions and workplaces committed to making enough of the necessary changes to accommodate female students wishing to pursue Stem studies? These are issues in which it is to society’s benefit that they be addressed urgently.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/science/2024/01/10/president-criticises-use-of-science-and-technology-advances-as-tools-of-war-and-destruction/

It's interesting how we never hear what those ''issues'' actually are. I suppose the fact the two mains ones are either females aren't actually interested and the ones who are just want to go in straight at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I’ve had two recently. And have a cock and balls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement