Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy & Heavy Rain Watch With Possible Local Flooding (Thurs/Fri June 14/15)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've given up on Met Eireann, I am camping in Carlow this weekend, any of you guys able to forecast my chances of drowning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

mattser wrote: »
    Nice and warm here in Dublin 15. Blue sky and the odd light shower. According to the experts it would be Armageddon.
    Met Ireland & Co. NOT ONE CLUE DO THEY HAVE.

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

mattser banned for 6 months for Trolling. Posters history in this forum alone has offered no value. Last post was almost 6 months ago and utterly pointless. Please do not feed Trolls

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've given up on Met Eireann, I am camping in Carlow this weekend, any of you guys able to forecast my chances of drowning?

Why have you given up on Met Éireann, first post clearly states their thoughts on what was to be expected.

Met Éireann
    Thursday night will be wet and windy with gale force easterly winds and persistent and heavy, driving rain especially in the East and Southeast. Friday will continue wet in many areas with some very heavy downpours giving spot flooding. 

redsunset wrote: »
    Why have you given up on Met Éireann, first post clearly states their thoughts on what was to be expected.

Met Éireann
    Thursday night will be wet and windy with gale force easterly winds and persistent and heavy, driving rain especially in the East and Southeast. Friday will continue wet in many areas with some very heavy downpours giving spot flooding. 

Sorry I should have clarified, I don't fully get the lingo. I can interpret a forecast for where I live pretty ok, but I am struggling with Carlow.

I get the southeast was meant to have heavy driving rain yesterday, but according to mate out there its ok today, I'm slightly worried about tonight and tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Sorry I should have clarified, I don't fully get the lingo. I can interpret a forecast for where I live pretty ok, but I am struggling with Carlow.

I get the southeast was meant to have heavy driving rain yesterday, but according to mate out there its ok today, I'm slightly worried about tonight and tomorrow.

I'm a few mile from Carlow and can tell you that its windy,overcast with some intermittent heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

According to M.E.

Tonight's Weather
    Further outbreaks of rain tonight, persistent and heavy again over the south and east at times. Lowest temperatures 9 to 11 degrees Celsius. Winds will be mainly moderate, from variable directions.

Tomorrow
    Rather dull at first on Saturday, with some further outbreaks of rain, mainly over Leinster and Ulster. Brighter weather with just scattered showers in the west, will gradually spread to all areas. Highest temperatures will range 13 degrees Celsius in the north to 17 degrees Celsius in the south. Northwest winds will be moderate to fresh.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Picture from Nasa,taken at lunchtime yesterday.

article-2159048-139BA0DA000005DC-938_964x977.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Ukraine v France suspended due to thunder storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

nice swirl on the raintoday.co.uk page now over limerick

niceswirl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Éireann do have a county forecast section on their website

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

7.0mm at Knock on 10pm reports http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp. Missed the bulk of those showers here but the couple of short lived ones that did pass over were pretty powerful and dumped a lot of rain within seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i think we've had like a hour of no rain in the last 36 hours. is this madness ever going to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

7.0mm at Knock on 10pm reports http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp. Missed the bulk of those showers here but the couple of short lived ones that did pass over were pretty powerful and dumped a lot of rain within seconds.
    ya i got 9.6 on my davis vantage vue,only 4 miles from knock,realy intence rain between 8 and 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

For me and my area, we received more rain Thursday & Friday approx 55mm than we did from the level two alarm for the last rain event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Today, 'Bloomsday' is a day when slightly odd people celebrate a fictional day in the life of the fictional protagonist in James Joyce's 'Ulysses' on the 16th June 1904. The book itself I found hard to digest when I had to study it as part of my undergraduate degree a few years back, but there are some great descriptions by Joyce of the weather on that particular day in Dublin.

Except that too is fictional. In Ulysses, the 16th June 1904 was a hot and quite thundery day with 'great towers' observed to the west during the evening giving some spectacular lightning displays. In reality, the 16th June 1904 was probably a very drizzly and humid day with a keen SW wind which is indicative of a typical weak warm sector:

209139.png
    Data from the NOAA-CIRES 20th Century Global Re-Analysis (Version 2)

Going by the re-analysis charts for this day, there was probably a cold front moving onto the NW coast as Leopold Bloom embarked on his walkabout; this most likely affected the Dublin region later that evening giving a spell of more persistent light to moderate rain before clearing.

Max temp at Phoenix Park on this day was 17.3c ; min 10.3c with a daily rainfall total of 5.3mm. (from the ECA&D)

Just to add, James Joyce had an immense fear of thunder, which may be one of the reasons he mentions thunder and lightning quite frequently in 'Ulysses'; he also believed that thunderstorms were increasing in frequency during the course of his lifetime. If that was true, I think it was a trend that didn't sustain itself for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

This weekend's Cork County show has been totally canceled due to recent wet weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Rainfall totals for here in north Kilkenny -
    Thursday - 13.8mm
    Friday and again it was another 13.8mm
    So far today 13.4mm

Total so far for this weather system = 41mm.
    Total for last week's event was 48.4mm.
    Total for the month so far is 117.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I for one am glad that the Resevoirs get filled up during the Summer. How would we ever make it through the Winter droughts without rationing if they weren't....

All joking aside, but is it confirmation bias on my part or are our Summers wetter than our Winters for the last few years? When I say that I mean our Summers are no wetter than usual but our Winters have gotten drier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CorkMetMan

51.9 mm from this particular event. This first half of June was about as bad as bad can be for the time of year. Horrible in every way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement