Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy & Heavy Rain Watch With Possible Local Flooding (Thurs/Fri June 14/15)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still peeing down here. Up to 21.6mm now. Rain rate of 5.6mm atm.

June rain total here now stands at 142.0mm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Did I just hear a vicious crack of thunder, Dublin 4 area? :confused:

I am inside (thankfully) so not too sure.

EDIT: Probably not by the looks of things. Still pouring rain nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Still peeing down here. Up to 21.6mm now. Rain rate of 5.6mm atm.

June rain total here now stands at 142.0mm

Very relentless ryan here alright! We usually get hammered in this area with an easterly frontal setup, the mountains acting as a rain generator rather than the usual rain shield we are used to. Probably why the Dodder is so "flashy" at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Is this to carry on till the morning rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Some of those gusts sound like thunder. 16mm so far, dark at 10 o clock in mid June and a 4-0 humiliation. How much more can I take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No sferics being picked up as of yet anyway, although I think the UKMO ATD system has trouble picking up inter-cloud lightning sometimes. If it was thunder it would be very unusual as organised occluded frontal systems tend not produce such, at least on a large scale anyway.

http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

That band of rain seems to be spreading northwards fairly quickly. Is there another one coming, or is all the rain due tonight & tomorrow from that one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Some of those gusts sound like thunder. 16mm so far, dark at 10 o clock in mid June and a 4-0 humiliation. How much more can I take?

My flat roof is leaking Elmer, so I feel your pain. its murder on the gdansk floor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

Another heavy burst has just hit Waterford. Harder than it's rained all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Really coming down here, winds gusting between 40 - 50km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its coming up to five to midnight so its time to go to Met Eireann for the latest on this wet and windy spell. RTE Radio 1/Sky 0160.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

God it's lovely out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only 9mm of rain in Sligo with this so far

95mm for the month

83mm last Thursday,Friday, Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

There is no truth in it :) at least regarding this country.

Such systems are not all that uncommon in June, although they are occurring with a relatively high frequency this time around alright.

I have to say that I get really dismayed when headlines like this seem to sink into the general psych of the populous. I really just can't bear the increasing tabliodisation of everything in modern Irish culture in general. Everything is cheapened to its lowest possible point and assumes a culture that endorses ignorance. These newspapers are British based, and despite their token 'Irish' versions, most of the stories in them are directly aimed at the UK audience.

We have only to go back to June 08 to see a similar looking system (which in fact was far more active and dramatic than the current one) affecting Ireland:

2008062200_1.gif

Clip from the 'Savage Eye', satire at its very best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KV_26wXqt0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not a bad day here all things considered, some sporadic drops of rain in the evening and a few spells of persistent light rain but mostly dry again with only 1mm recorded locally. Once again we've got the best of it in the north west. Looking at Malin's stats, 23 of the past 26 days have had 1mm or less recorded and its been almost totally dry apart from last week's event, its been a great summer around here so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

gbee wrote: »

I think I passed that spot a few weeks ago and it was flooded too.:)
    Anywhere near the marina?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heather54

Was just down at the dodder at dartry park, dublin. The river is about 6 inches from the top of the bank, looks like it could go in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Atrocious rain all day here in Cork.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

25.8mm here up to midnight and 8.6mm since. Event total of 34.4mm so far.

June total now stands at 154.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2.7mm overnight here in sw donegal 73.5mm for june

windy

thats all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There is no truth in it :) at least regarding this country.

Such systems are not all that uncommon in June, although they are occurring with a relatively high frequency this time around alright.

I have to say that I get really dismayed when headlines like this seem to sink into the general psych of the populous. I really just can't bear the increasing tabliodisation of everything in modern Irish culture in general. Everything is cheapened to its lowest possible point and assumes a culture that endorses ignorance. These newspapers are British based, and despite their token 'Irish' versions, most of the stories in them are directly aimed at the UK audience.

Well there you go, forget about meteorology, the Daily Mail is all you need.
    Gusts on the horizon: The flags in Parliament Square, London, were blowing more vigorously yesterday, indicating that the expected high winds of up to 60mph could soon be upon us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rain yesterday is about 21mm for me with a high rate of 10.8mm/hr

Today to 9:30 I see 15.6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

wow, what a night. and it's raining again. high tide should be interesting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This weather has played havoc with the garden - loads of plants ruined by the wind and a small tree I planted last year is in the process of being uprooted.
    Winter conditions in the summer. Boourns :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

around 16m of rain here in north meath since yesterday evening and still raining quite heavily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is that a correct midday hourly total for Valentia - 15.1mm??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I know someone getting married in Belmullet today, it's currently level with Malin with a high gust of 41knts, hold on to your hats...

The 'centre' of the system can be clearly seen now on the radar loop travelling up through Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Nice and warm here in Dublin 15. Blue sky and the odd light shower. According to the experts it would be Armageddon.
    Met Ireland & Co. NOT ONE CLUE DO THEY HAVE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

mattser wrote: »
    Nice and warm here in Dublin 15. Blue sky and the odd light shower. According to the experts it would be Armageddon.

Windy and driving rain in galway atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

mattser wrote: »

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement