Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

What a fantastic run from the ECM 12z. There would be serious streamers coming in off the Irish sea BUT its a long way off.

ECH1-240.GIF?27-0

ECH0-240.GIF?27-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

ECM 240hr chart is fantastic, FI but hey it shows what could happen in a set up like this.

t0lont.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Ramp ! :D

W6OB9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Met office is still cold for Ireland through the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Met office is still cold for Ireland through the weekend.

Looks like anything milder is going to be short lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Ramp ! :D

W6OB9.gif

It'll be gone tomorrow so we might as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tonight's ECMWF 240 chart a pretty much a huge 'outlier'

230473.gif

Not out of the realms of possibility of course with some signals that a kink in the pattern will develop once again. I think the only thing that is becoming certain now is that the present uninspiring cool set up will continue for the foreseeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Some nice signals for snow accumulation on Weatheronline's GFS chart at T144

12120312_2712.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

What a fantastic run from the ECM 12z. There would be serious streamers coming in off the Irish sea BUT its a long way off.

ECH1-240.GIF?27-0

ECH0-240.GIF?27-0

A word of caution with that chart - and I expect to be slated for it - but with such high pressure (around 1025 hPa):

The cold 850 temps will be around 200-250 metres higher up than with say a surface pressure of around 1000 hPa, therefore that's an extra 250 m of warmer layers that snow would have to survive, and

That inversion will strongly cap convection over the sea, so any showers would be very shallow.

Still good to get cold 850s so near, but always look at the big picture and beyond single charts.

Cue the abuse....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    A word of caution with that chart - and I expect to be slated for it - but with such high pressure (around 1025 hPa):

The cold 850 temps will be around 200-250 metres higher up than with say a surface pressure of around 1000 hPa, therefore that's an extra 250 m of warmer layers that snow would have to survive, and

That inversion will strongly cap convection over the sea, so any showers would be very shallow.

Still good to get cold 850s so near, but always look at the big picture and beyond single charts.

But i've just ordered my sledge and igloo building kit? :eek::mad:

• Advertisement

But i've just ordered my sledge and igloo building kit? :eek::mad:

I bet you threw out the receipts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Su Campu wrote: »

Who'd abuse you Su! :eek:

Good points....well put. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Who'd abuse you Su! :eek:

Good points....well put. :)

Good points indeed..Learn something new here everyday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I sometimes think that the weather forums and sites pay off one of the model runs to tweak the 190+ output, get the hit counts up :)

Don't think this one will come off for Ireland anyways. Just an opinion not backed with fact.

Be interesting to see how the models handle the system coming up from the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Netweather has just issued its winter forecast for the UK and Europe.

Key points:

1.Very low confidence in a mild winter

2. Temperatures will be down 1.5oC to 3oc (in some places 4oC) when compared to the long term average

3. Likeliest periods for cold weather are start/mid December and mid January through to early February.

4. Blocking first over Greenland and then over Scandinavia will be common this winter.

A good forecast for snow lovers so, however time will tell. Link just below so you can view it at your leisure........:D

D

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-forecast-2012;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

GFS ensembles verify growing signs that any severe cold spell might be a while away yet. Conditions look cool zonal for the coming 10 days at least with occasional 24 hr darts of cold from nw or n with some wintry showers and possible snow for hills.
    http://www.meteociel.com/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=36&y=31

In any case, welcome to Ireland's weather boards, you are very welcome and your contribution is of benefit. At 6.40am this morning, parts of Dublin (Casement) reporting -2oC with the Airport at -1oC.

It will be a cold day in Ireland's capital city with a peak of 4oC anticipated.

I think we could be in for a cold winter and you are right, technically it has not even started!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looking at the 528 DAM line here, could the east see anything ? Sorry, not used to FAX charts !

PPVM89.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thursday Night Met E are forecasting "perhaps a little snow" with "hill snow" on saturday.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So much for met eireanns forecast for it turning milder at the weekend then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Looking at the 528 DAM line here, could the east see anything ? Sorry, not used to FAX charts !

PPVM89.png

If I remember correctly from Listening to Su over the years ,

No, maybe some hill snow but but 524 or lower would be best for lower level snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

chart is out of date. updated version shows no 528.

Anyway Pete is right.Need much lower. Show me around 520 and sea level snow is more certain. fax84s_pnx1.gif[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECM mean at day 10 this morning pretty much as you were. Cool conditions with air mass alternating between P3 and P6 types, or to wit, pretty much as now but generally more unsettled. Still trying to build pressure to our north with an increase in surface pressure over Scandinavia and weak upper ridge extending NE'wards from Atlantic but nothing significant being projected as of yet at least.

230543.png

BWS concedes (kind of) that it's weeks of press-garnering hype about snowfall and subzero temps has not materialised. You won't see the media run this climb down though.

http://www.britishweatherservices.co.uk/more-patience-required/

Interesting read. I am surprised by the results mind you.

State of global temperatures in 2012
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2011/global-temperatures-2012?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

GFS seemed to be under playing the nothern block. A big storm would be a nice way to bring us into winter. Forget about snow for a few weeks lads. She aint coming, some of you will be use to that anyways :)

Good to see some really cold air now being established to our north east over Norway.

Check out the 10 day forecast for Oslo - some days only reach a max of -9oC with some nights falling to -12oC.

Might be a case that cold is only establishing itself now in Scandinavia/Eastern Europe which might aid Ireland's snow chances as we go through our winter on this island :D

D

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Oslo-NOXX0029

The GFS is hinting at some snow above around 150-200 m in the northern half of the country Monday night. As per usual, it is painting a much colder picture than the rest of the models so (don't) watch this space.

126_1.gif

126_5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

God only knows what we have in store people..exciting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

Excellent run from the GFS 6Z :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement