Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Not sure where the idea that the strat is shaping up nicely has come from. Its current zorro-mask split is only short-lived and both GFS and ECMWF are showing a strong PV again within a week. The EPV flux will have little effect.

GFS analysis and 240 hr.
    231126.gif

231127.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Su Campu wrote: »
    Not sure where the idea that the strat is shaping up nicely has come from. Its current zorro-mask split is only short-lived and both GFS and ECMWF are showing a strong PV again within a week. The EPV flux will have little effect.

GFS analysis and 240 hr.
    231126.gif

231127.gif

In other words are you saying to keep are waterproofs at the ready instead of sleighs. Snow chance on Thursday for northern regions?

Weathering wrote: »
    In other words are you saying to keep are waterproofs at the ready instead of sleighs. Snow chance on Thursday for northern regions?

I see nothing to hint at anything more than brief cold days in an otherwise progressive pattern, so can't understand where the optimism shown by some is coming from. Azores high seems the winner this month, so we're relying on some glancing lows over the top to give any hope. Thursday's not looking anything special. A cold northwesterly, but again we have a few thousand miles of Atlantic to spoil snow chances for all but those on high ground in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    How anybody can despair when you have this sort of stuff showing at t180 is beyond me...

gfsnh-0-180_xtc6.png

Of course the above chart is subject to change, FI seem to be 96 hours recently, so I wouldn't be getting excited. But there is certainly more than a hint of hope of something wintry on the way!

I think the despair is common since 2010; I am noticing a trend that unless the weather is comparable to the winter 2010 then it is not cold nor snowy, despite there being below average temps and frost/ice/snow on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

maw368 wrote: »
    I think the despair is common since 2010; I am noticing a trend that unless the weather is comparable to the winter 2010 then it is not cold nor snowy, despite there being below average temps and frost/ice/snow on the ground.
    Yep I remember recording -7.9 in January 2009 and that was considered a very low figure but then a year later I hit -17.7 and since then its not cold unless its below -10!

Fantasy island showing why it's called Fantasy today with some nice rises to our North, nothing exciting really in the short term but no raging Atlantic either so cool for the moment but we are only 2 days into Winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I see nothing to hint at anything more than brief cold days in an otherwise progressive pattern, so can't understand where the optimism shown by some is coming from. Azores high seems the winner this month, so we're relying on some glancing lows over the top to give any hope. Thursday's not looking anything special. A cold northwesterly, but again we have a few thousand miles of Atlantic to spoil snow chances for all but those on high ground in the north.

:confused: 18z GFS @ t144- Greenland high forming, low pressure set up around the azores.

gfs-0-144_vsy4.png

ECM 12z @ t144, similar story.

ECM1-144_hdl2.GIF

:confused: 18z GFS @ t144- Greenland high forming, low pressure set up around the azores.

You've taken one snapshot in time and picked it out, ignoring the other majority of snapshots that show by and large the Azores high or an extension of it persisting somewhere in mid Atlantic, or even forming a Bartlett farther out in FI. I was talking about the month as a whole. I said there may be the odd exception but on the whole there is no signal of sustained northern blocking.

You've taken one snapshot in time and picked it out, ignoring the other majority of snapshots that show by and large the Azores high or an extension of it persisting somewhere in mid Atlantic, or even forming a Bartlett farther out in FI. I was talking about the month as a whole. I said there may be the odd exception but on the whole there is no signal of sustained northern blocking.

Honestly, from what I can see, there has been a much stronger signal for northern blocking than for a Azores or Bartlett high. ECM 32 day, CFS and NAEFS means all going for a blocked pattern this month. Of course that's talking about computer models alone. May I ask why you hold such beliefs for the coming month?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Honestly, from what I can see, there has been a much stronger signal for northern blocking than for a Azores or Bartlett high.

There has been a signal, however if you look back the Blocking High around Iceland / Greenland has been signalled in models but has not come to pass. The NAO outturn vs projected graphs show that. The 7 day has been very wobbly for the last fortnight and the outturn is not always in band. Firt thing you need is to tidy that BLACK line up, m'kays.

Then confidence in the models may grow. For now the models are flip flopping like mad and are unreliable.

nao.sprd2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

I have to agree with Su on this. John Icy, your comment stating that you sense an arrogance in some model observations is incorrect. I'm all for snow... it's all I want and has nothing to do with 2010. I'm a snow lover but also I enjoy any change in weather and trend watching. The models are not as exciting as they were last month is all. Presently, the trend is showing signs for a rise in temps and drier spell for a short time. It's still exciting but making an observation and personal insight/statement with regard to models is allowed. Making personal statements about other posters is poor form. I agree with you though, let's enjoy the winter and model watching. Sure we can only learn and enjoy the thrill of yoyo synoptics!!

With regard to Beasterly and these 'snapshots'... they do look splendid!! I guess if we can see more of that - and +144h over the next few runs there will be a lovely potential for Christmas. Just thankful it's cold, even though it is 10c outside *sigh*

• Advertisement

Honestly, from what I can see, there has been a much stronger signal for northern blocking than for a Azores or Bartlett high. ECM 32 day, CFS and NAEFS means all going for a blocked pattern this month. Of course that's talking about computer models alone. May I ask why you hold such beliefs for the coming month?

Just a feeling. Nothing on the strat horizon, eroding warm SST anomaly in the NW Atlantic and Arctic and lack of blocking thus far. I don't have access to the ECM 32 and I don't rate the CFS much. I've said all along that I thought the best chance for proper cold this winter, if it were to happen, would be before Christmas, but I'm losing faith in that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

BEASTERLY did not just choose a snapshot that showed those conditions, most weather models are showing the same if not more extensive northern blocking- for example all of the charts below-

Our current situation- lets see whats forecast over the next 2 weeks-

ytuzuqyb.jpg

+72hrs ECMWF 12z Ensemble Mean

7amygumu.jpg

+168hrs ECMWF 12z Ensemble Mean- This is a fantastic chart with a displaced weak vortex with heights to our NW and a low to our east dragging down air from our north.

u4e8u9u8.jpg

+240hrs ECMWF 12z Ensemble Mean, No signal for an azores high there and still a displaced vortex.

a3asy2uq.jpg

18z GFS at +120hrs- Atlantic blocked off and WAA over greenland.

y6uryvyt.jpg

+168hrs we have a south east Greenland High. Northerly winds over Ireland/The UK. + a Big Siberian high building.

7ara9e5y.jpg

8-10 Day ECM and GFS Mean charts show alot more high pressure than low pressure to our north, this is what I would class as Northern Blocking.

3egaqa5e.jpg

NAEFS charts for days 6-10 and 8-14 speak for themselves- outstanding blocking to our north.

6-10 day

8u2a3u3a.jpg

8-14 day

muvy6ete.jpg

AO is also forecast to stay negative -

ny6arehu.jpg

If none of that is a signal for sustained Northern Blocking then I dont know what is. Charts couldnt be much better in my opinion.

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

@ Blizzard. I don't hold the following link in much high regard tbh but it's a good indication of the possibility. For instance the last time it had so many days with a chance of having snow was back in 2010 albeit the percentage ain't that high on many days. Put it like this it has never snowed when they give 0pc chance and it often has when they have give a positive percentage
    http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=10day;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

BEASTERLY did not just choose a snapshot that showed those conditions, most weather models are showing the same if not more extensive northern blocking- for example all of the charts below-

If none of that is a signal for sustained Northern Blocking then I dont know what is. Charts couldnt be much better in my opinion.

A lovely trend indeed...long may it continue! :cool:

@ Blizzard: The same question to you. Apart from just the models, why do you think we'll see prolonged cold? The models could be wrong.

Just a feeling. Nothing on the strat horizon, eroding warm SST anomaly in the NW Atlantic and Arctic and lack of blocking thus far. I don't have access to the ECM 32 and I don't rate the CFS much. I've said all along that I thought the best chance for proper cold this winter, if it were to happen, would be before Christmas, but I'm losing faith in that now.

Lack of blocking? Just because it hasnt been in the perfect position for Ireland doesn't mean it has been absent...

ECH1-0_ulg3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

@ Blizzard: The same question to you. Apart from just the models, why do you think we'll see prolonged cold? The models could be wrong.

Just to be clear, I think we will see prolonged cold this winter but im not sure it will be this month, in the above posts I am just trying to interpret what the models are currently showing, this can and will change, for better or worse.

Well this is the model output discussion thread so im just saying what the models are showing, what other indicators as to what the weather will be like in the future do we have? Other than pattern matching etc.

There is another reason why I think we are going to have a cold ,snowy winter though, and that is because I believe we have entered a new era in our climate because of the reduced solar activity since 2008, I think this is the main driver behind our colder winters and wetter summers over the last few years. The Maunder and Dalton solar minimums also occured at the same time as extremely harsh winters and even the "Little Ice Age" with the maunder minimum. I believe they were what caused those colder years.

Even in the "little Ice Age" there were warmer winters and so this would explain last winter as the exception rather than the norm if we have indeed seen the sun drastically affect our climate.

This is all slightly off topic but is in answer to your question and is one of the reasons why I believe we are going to see extended cold either at some stage or even throughout this winter.

Well if we roll back to the 22nd of November the GFS tells us yesterday, sunday was cold, a block was in place and a Scandinavian airflow was in situ...except we hit 11.7c in a mild Atlantic flow instead.

BOO Models!

gfs-0-240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Well if we roll back to the 22nd of November the GFS tells us yesterday, sunday was cold, a block was in place and a Scandinavian airflow was in situ...except we hit 11.7c in a mild Atlantic flow instead.

BOO Models!

In fairness I could probably draw random lines on a napkin in the dark that'd give a more accurate representation of what the weather will be like post 144hours..

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I think we will see prolonged cold this winter but im not sure it will be this month, in the above posts I am just trying to interpret what the models are currently showing, this can and will change, for better or worse.

Well this is the model output discussion thread so im just saying what the models are showing, what other indicators as to what the weather will be like in the future do we have? Other than pattern matching etc.

There is another reason why I think we are going to have a cold ,snowy winter though, and that is because I believe we have entered a new era in our climate because of the reduced solar activity since 2008, I think this is the main driver behind our colder winters and wetter summers over the last few years. The Maunder and Dalton solar minimums also occured at the same time as extremely harsh winters and even the "Little Ice Age" with the maunder minimum. I believe they were what caused those colder years.

Even in the "little Ice Age" there were warmer winters and so this would explain last winter as the exception rather than the norm if we have indeed seen the sun drastically affect our climate.

This is all slightly off topic but is in answer to your question and is one of the reasons why I believe we are going to see extended cold either at some stage or even throughout this winter.

Right, so your reply was totally based on models then.

This is not purely a MODEL OUTPUT discussion thread, unless I missed the memo. It's a technical discussion, it just so happens it's turned into a MODEL rollercoaster!

Solar activity has been on the increase for the past couple of years. How would you explain last winter? Quoting winters hundreds of years ago is no guarantee of cold this winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

In fairness I could probably draw random lines on a napkin in the dark that'd give a more accurate representation of what the weather will be like post 144hours..
    exactly, the chart for sunday 9th has a very mild looking southwesterly, within 24 hours we're in a cold northerly :D ignore anything beyond 72 hours I'd say.

ecmpanel1.gif

Solar activity has been on the increase for the past couple of years. How would you explain last winter? Quoting winters hundreds of years ago is no guarantee of cold this winter!

The solar activity has been on the increase but there are other factors involved I believe. First of all the solar activity has increased but it is still on track to be the lowest solar count since 1906; according to Nasa, it is increasing but currently very low considering it is almost in the peak of the cycle.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/predict.shtml

But then some scientists claim it is the suns irradiance is what matters and this is also low. I am sure I read that there are factors relating to the solar count too; it is not just about how much activity but the magnetic strength of that activity which I believe Nasa has also stated is very low. I agree with the growing theory of LIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

This is not purely a MODEL OUTPUT discussion thread, unless I missed the memo. It's a technical discussion, it just so happens it's turned into a MODEL rollercoaster!

As a matter of interest is there any use in looking at charts that are so far in FI, what is the point of them at all? I know sometimes they do get situations correct, but more often the are wrong.

Also to point out to everyone looking for cold, November as a whole had slightly colder than average temps (can't find the report yet, but saw it a summary on TV). So although not an epic cold spell with mountains of snow it was still a colder than average in November.

Fair point Spindle, I think a lot of people are going on about it being mild when November has been below average temps, I believe there was a load of months this year below average temps and the MO have forecast much of December to be below average temps. I am not sure about Ireland but much of this last week has seen significantly cold temps in much of England Wales and Scotland. According to the MO the MEAN LOW TEMP for much of the UK for the whole of winter never drops below freezing and this last week most have been below freezing with many being -4, -5 and even -7.

The MO described it as 90% probability of severe cold in their amber alert area with frost fog and snow, it was massively below the average winter temps never mind end of November temps. It has been cold, I believe it is back to this issue of comparing everything to the winter of 2010, unless it is as cold or as snowy for most of the UK then there is no winter because it is mild type attitude. I think Autumn has had inspiring temps for us cold lovers and I just hope it can continue but with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

maw368 wrote: »
    Fair point Spindle, I think a lot of people are going on about it being mild when November has been below average temps

Also watching ME summary of November they had the central part of Ireland (west-East) as being well below the average rainfall? Surely that was wrong? We had a week of rain here which im sure matched the monthly rain total?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

snaps wrote: »
    Also watching ME summary of November they had the central part of Ireland (west-East) as being well below the average rainfall? Surely that was wrong? We had a week of rain here which im sure matched the monthly rain total?

Belmullet had 147mm http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=2375
    Valentia had 213mm and dingle 184mm, wet wet wet :o

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm confident of a cold outbreak, I'm 50/50 at the moment. But I do believe there is definitely potential there, what I don't understand is why you are so dismissive, you seem to have 100% confidence that it won't happen. Yes there is too much reliance on models among weather watchers, but verification stats will show 50-80% verification @168hrs, they should be taken note of out to 192 hours in my opinion when they are showing a recurrent trend. You seem to imply models are useless, and only those with a high level of knowledge of teleconnections can comment on future prospects. Models are designed to analyse patterns and often do a much better jobs than most amateurs.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I'm confident of a cold outbreak, I'm 50/50 at the moment. But I do believe there is definitely potential there, what I don't understand is why you are so dismissive, you seem to have 100% confidence that it won't happen. Yes there is too much reliance on models among weather watchers, but verification stats will show 50-80% verification @168hrs, they should be taken note of out to 192 hours in my opinion when they are showing a recurrent trend. You seem to imply models are useless, and only those with a high level of knowledge of teleconnections can comment on future prospects. Models are designed to analyse patterns and often do a much better jobs than most amateurs.

Where did I say I was 100% confident of anything? Models can of course be right, but they can be wrong too. They were hinting at a decent cold snowy setup here a few weeks ago but they were wrong. They could equally be wrong about the next few weeks, or they could be spot on. I didn't say they were useless, others said I did but look back and you won't find me saying that. All I asked was, leaving the models out of the scenario completely for a minute, what would be the reasons for someone's confidence in a cold spell and in dismissing what I am saying. If I had said yes, cold on the way, then I don't think anyone would be questioning me and I'd have a row of thanks on my posts.

Anyone remember the reception Sponge Bob got for going for a mild Christmas last year?

Anyone remember the reception Sponge Bob got for going for a mild Christmas last year?

:D:D No sign of anything similar this year may I add. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

He got that reception because he was going for it over a week out, while at the same time anyone who was claiming cold weather a week out was being slated by you and others.

As it happened he was spot on, further proving that the models are pretty good even that far out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement