Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosanna Davison denies mini marathon cheat claims

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

robinph wrote: »
    A marathon is an actual defined distance, a half marathon is unsurprisingly half of that distance. Marathon does not mean long distance running event, it means a running event that is a marathon distance.

A mini-marathon is a random distance and it has no reference to the distance that is a marathon.
    A marathon is a distance race of 42.195 km (26 miles 385 yards) and, by extension, in general speech a lengthy, arduous or time-consuming undertaking.

The word marathon doesnt just apply to the distance. Its a general term for long distance running event too.

A mini marathon is a general term to describe mid to long distance running events.

So saying marathon to describe a mini marathon isnt abuse of the language. Just pedantry on the part of those who take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell we're getting some distance out of the definition of a marathon,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Speaking of cheating in marathons, did anyone read about this last year?

Caught a bus and his Garmin which he posted and then quickly deleted showed that he was travelling at 30mph at one stage :pac: He denied it, admitted it, and then went to the BBC to deny it again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8820301/Marathon-runner-caught-bus-to-the-finish-line.html
    Rob Sloan claimed third place in the Kielder Marathon after completing the 26.2 mile course in an impressive time of 2:51:00.

But suspicions were raised by fellow runners bemused that they had not seen Sloan pass them during Sunday’s race.

After initially denying any wrongdoing, Sloan admitted to hopping onto a bus at the 20-mile mark because he was feeling tired. He then re-emerged from a wooded area of the course and picked up the bronze medal.

Witnesses reported seeing him hide behind a tree until the first and second placed runners went past, then rejoining the race behind them.
    The 31-year-old now faces dismissal from his club, Sunderland Harriers, and could be banned from taking part in future marathons.

Steve Cram, the former world record holder and organiser of the race in Kielder Water, Northumberland, said: “He was the only runner in the whole of the race who ran the second half quicker than the first half.”
    Sloan, a former Army mechanic from Downhill, Sunderland, was seen boasting to reporters minutes after completing the event. He described the race as “absolutely, unbelievably tough”.

When his placing was brought into doubt, he was indignant.
    “I’m upset and angry that someone wants to cast these aspersions. It’s laughable, is what it is,” he insisted.

However, after organisers launched an investigation, he confessed to hitching a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

LordSmeg wrote: »
    The word marathon doesnt just apply to the distance. Its a general term for long distance running event too.

A mini marathon is a general term to describe mid to long distance running events.

I dont see where you get that from the definition you posted?

My understanding of that definition is that in running, a marathon is set length race. In general speech - ie not relating to running - a lengthy, arduous or time-consuming undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's a marathon task trying to keep these grammar nazis from ruining this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

maximoose wrote: »
    I dont see where you get that from the definition you posted?

My understanding of that definition is that in running, a marathon is set length race. In general speech - ie not relating to running - .

Why does "in general speech" mean "not related to running" ? In general speech it means a "lengthy, arduous or time-consuming undertaking". Which what a mini marathon is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's a marathon task trying to keep these grammar nazis from ruining this thread

hmmph, peasant, you obviously don't realise that "marathon" is actually derived from the Greek for "I couldn't care less"!

back to whether Rosie is a big cheaty pants please:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

..not a real marathon...

...take longer walks with me dog...

...fat arsed women claiming they've done a marathon...

There ya go I think I've covered most of the annual anti-marathon grumbling.
    Spot on. Who is she? Newsreader? Important? Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Shryke wrote: »
    Good man. Quality input. Keep it coming.

Thats what she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Paully D wrote: »
    Speaking of cheating in marathons, did anyone read about this last year?

Caught a bus and his Garmin which he posted and then quickly deleted showed that he was travelling at 30mph at one stage :pac: He denied it, admitted it, and then went to the BBC to deny it again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8820301/Marathon-runner-caught-bus-to-the-finish-line.html

Running's answer to Mick Wallace!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Gaz wrote: »
    Give a f**k ?
    Er; yes. I think I would, actually. Thanks for asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

she didn't do the race in 43min, shes says she didn't, only the number/chip does

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Sick of people talking about how they "ran a marathon" its 10 ****ing k.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

she didn't do the race in 43min, shes says she didn't, only the number/chip does

Still doesn't explain the fact that she was seen coming out of a house and rejoining the race and still managed to be at the finish line at 1.08

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

The most surprising part of this thread is that 30 people voted they believe her.:eek::confused:

Didnt think so many of the DeBurgh family had Boards accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

I finished just over 44 didn't see her anywhere en route or at the finish. Highly suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

lizt wrote: »
    Still doesn't explain the fact that she was seen coming out of a house and rejoining the race and still managed to be at the finish line at 1.08

she was heading to do it in about 50-55 and then nipped in to put on unrealistic makeup for the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If I ever see her I'll tell her to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

But how is it possible for the chip to show a shorter time than she actually ran? It makes no sense unles she didn't really complete the full course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I've no idea who Rosanna Davidson is.
    I'm not bothered enough to google her.
    But why do people care about these things?
    I really do not get it.
    So effing what if someone cheated in a mini marathon?!
    I think she goes by the name Jordan. You may her by that name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

blueser wrote: »
    I reckon she did cheat, which is very naughty. And so she should be spanked firmly as a lesson. I for one volunteer my services in the administration, got me marigolds ready and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

jennyq wrote: »
    But how is it possible for the chip to show a shorter time than she actually ran? It makes no sense unles she didn't really complete the full course.

She already stated she got someone elses tag who had already completed it. It is very possible that whoever ran the race in 43mins could then go and meet Rosanna mid-race, considering that Rosanna may not have reached the starting line until 15 minutes after the first person.

This means there could be 35 mins between a person finishing in 43 and a person finishing in 63. Going through the finish line again with the same tag will not change the first recorded time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I stopped reading at rosanna davison

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

mfceiling wrote: »
    I stopped reading at rosanna davison

But still felt compelled to post. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I think she should resign her Dail seat over this issue. Its an absolute scandal. Herself and Wallace.They're a disgrace. No wonder this countrys going to the dogs. Will we ever learn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

She already stated she got someone elses tag who had already completed it. It is very possible that whoever ran the race in 43mins could then go and meet Rosanna mid-race, considering that Rosanna may not have reached the starting line until 15 minutes after the first person.

This means there could be 35 mins between a person finishing in 43 and a person finishing in 63. Going through the finish line again with the same tag will not change the first recorded time.
    Eh no. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0607/1224317443659.html - Carmel Murray: “She asked me if I had a spare race number, which isn’t unusual when some of our participants can’t make it. I had none so I gave her mine, because I’m not a competitive jogger.”

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

The IMF should be brought in on this . A bit of austerity required

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

jennyq wrote: »

That's plausible except that's not her story. She cleary stated the woman from the ISPCA crossed the start line and then ran back and gave her the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

But still felt compelled to post. Well done.

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Unfortunately I've seen plenty claim it on Facebook the past couple of days.

There is a massive difference between 10 km and 26.2 miles. It just looks completely stupid when you see people patting themselves on the back for having completed their first marathon, when all they've done is a 10 km stroll!

Yes there is a massive difference between 10km and 26.2 miles but to say it's stupid when you see people patting themselves on the back......is uncalled for imo. I decided to do it for a charity close to my heart and I started training everyday for months (believe me I was never a runner) and I did it on Monday and I ran the whole 10km in 1h25. Now I'm not claiming Ive done a marathon but I am damn proud of myself and it was a big personal achievement as it was for many other women. I find your post to be ridiculous and offensive.

I am assuming you are a women, apolgies if I am mistaken, in which case I find it even more ridiculous. Did you take part?

Advertisement