Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 9 (Twilight Zone)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If I say yes, how many people are going to start scrambling to edit in a part of the synopsis which didn't fit their stories?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i kind of assumed the synposes would be included

Heh, your persuasive arguments have won me over, send on a topic and I'll have something in on saturday! :D
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    I have to pull out. Have had issues finding anything-other-than-work time. Not going to have time to turn on the laptop this side of the weekend and sure as hell won't be writing 2000 words on my phone.

Work life balance? I fail at that game.

Okay, I'll just recycle Blush_01's story for needacchelp. But you should still make time to write something, even outside the competition, Blushie, for the sake of getting some words down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

Cheers Pickarooney, got the topic and have made some decent headway on it. I'm not sure if what I'm writing fits too well with the Twilight Zone's general style, but I'm writing something anyway!

I haven't managed to do anything amazingly original with my topic, but I still reckon some people have probably been given much harder topics than I have, would I be right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

some stuff happened and i need to pull out. sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Oh dear. I hope we don't have too many more withdrawals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I have a beginning to my story....and I have an ending....but at the moment I have no middle. If it comes to that I'll submit it in it's incomplete and imperfect form (unless I get away with saying the dog ate half my story)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had a nuts week in work (a couple of 12 hour days), so coming home to do an hour or two of writing afterwards was not really on the cards. :(

It seems a few people are in the same boat though. Would it be an option to extend the deadline to midnight on Friday 6th? I expect it will result in more than a couple of extra submissions (including mine) and those who have submitted already can polish theirs and resubmit if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

bluewolf wrote: »
    i kind of assumed the synposes would be included

Me too. Otherwise, people won't know how hard we struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I am bowing out of the the competition. Between travel and having a mental block, I have not been able to compose anything meaningful. :-(

• Advertisement

I think extending the deadline would be a bit unfair as at least one person submitted early because of commitments at the end of the month. Three weeks was plenty of time, really.

Even if only 5 or 6 people actually enter it's best to stick the rules I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I’m not going to get this done either, no excuses, just never got off my ar$e to do it, wasn’t overly happy with the synopsis I got and just couldn’t get into it
    I’m disappointed in myself as I do love the Twilight Zone, just got one of the stories didn’t like
    Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I haven't started, but I have some idea what I want to do. Have had a hectic week since getting back, but should have some time to myself tonight and tomorrow, so shall be a slightly rushed job. Is 2,000 words a target or a limit? I don't think I'd quite hit that at this stage; would probably aim for 1,500 if that's ok.

If it's a good story, 200 words is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I actually think a shorter deadline suits this kind of thing more. When the themes etc are announced you are enthusiastic and all set to go. But then you think "Ah sure I've three weeks. I'll start next week." You end up putting it on the long finger and real life gets in the way.

A shorter deadline of say a week might keep peoples drive up. It would be a pain for someone who had something going on that week but with a shorter turnaround time it might mean we'd do more of these voats, so they'd do the next one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have mine drafted for a couple of weeks, need to go back over it though.

It'll be in by the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Let the frantic transcription of notebook to .doc file begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Let the frantic transcription of notebook to .doc file begin!

I still have another day, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I still have another day, right?

Until midnight tomorrow, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Only starting my story now, new babies,tonsillitis and ulcers are all getting in my way,it only takes a few mins to fling a story down,might be crap but it'll be written :D

• Advertisement

angelll wrote: »
    Only starting my story now, new babies,tonsillitis and ulcers are all getting in my way,it only takes a few mins to fling a story down,might be crap but it'll be written :D

Twins? Congratulations and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Ah no just the one (he's my third though),listen you,don't be picking on my grammer already :D Leave that for the voat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

angelll wrote: »
    , new babies,tonsillitis and ulcers are all getting in my way
    Was that your synopsis? Damn, I thought mine was hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Started writing the story last night, came up with a great concept, got the first 500 words down, knew exactly what direction I wanted to take it, could have had it done within an hour, so stupidly decided to take a break to watch a movie and now am still exactly where I was 12 hours ago... Grrrr....
    Will get it done though.
    And am glad I decided to jump in to the competition at the last minute - haven't sat down to write anything in almost a year, which sucked, so at least this will get me back in the swing of things hopefully...

i have some time this evening and things are looking up again, so i sat down at 6 to start. it'll be hasty and crap but sure feck it - might as well give it a go

hope that's ok despite me pulling out

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'd forgotten all about this until Pcikarooney PMed the reminder yesterday. So I got writing today and threw something together. I hope it's ok. Sci-Fi or supernatural is not my genre at all but it was great fun to try something new.

how do you submit these if it hits the PM limit is this like 2 PMs for a story or some online hosting thingy or what

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

bluewolf wrote: »
    how do you submit these if it hits the PM limit is this like 2 PMs for a story or some online hosting thingy or what
    I sent mine in 3 PMs. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh, so disappointed I'm only seeing this now. If someone could fire a synopsis at me to work from I'll try to scramble together a story in 4 hours. If not don't worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I did it, I freaking started the story today and got it done. I'm very pleased with myself.

The quality is questionable, but I'm glad I got something down. I haven't written a thing in months and this was a good kick-start.

Advertisement