Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Gyms

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Great news!

Any pics of the new park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Good work Ironé, was wondering how it ended up. Post some pics of the equipment for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

I have all the pictures up on the community website - we actually have 10 pieces not 12 - you'd think I would know that at this stage:

http://www.athtrasna.com/gallery/?album=1&gallery=12

The site is absolutely crawling for some reason today. One of the pieces has fencing around it in the photo as the concrete was still setting.

It's early days yet with it and it'll be interesting to see in a years time if it will get the use out of it. I feel it will as people are obsessed with fitness and sport in this town :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Nice outdoor gym in San Fran, near the Presidio.

Part of a new campaign in America. Free outdoor gyms in popular exercise locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Hey..

Don't want to be a thread digger here but I've gotta ask.

Any outdoor gyms / calisthenics parks near Sandyford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Deer Park in Goatstown isnt too far from Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Good list here put together by Ant11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Siim wrote: »
    Any outdoor gyms / calisthenics parks near Sandyford?
    there is something in the park behind St Raphaela's school

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Good list here put together by Ant11

incorrect link

Its hilarious though. Could have been a lot worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

conzy wrote: »
    incorrect link

Its hilarious though. Could have been a lot worse :pac:

The correct link

Uncannily like Patrick Stewart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Thanks. Went to Deerpark.
    Did pull-ups for 2 hours, over 20 sets LOL and some dips at the end.
    My palms are f@#ked but it was worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=bhT2tcDFUwA

youtube.com/watch?v=cReY8eiChiA

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Have you ever seen anyone seriously use outdoor gym equipment, that councils are installing in lots of places (not pull/dip/monkey bars etc) but the more mechanical ones like these? https://www.outfit.ie/products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

They are used by quite a few people every day in our park. Very popular amongst the older crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Those machines are on the seafront in Clontarf, in a few locations.

They're certainly sturdy, and hold up well to the elements.

While personally I think for younger or generally healthy trainees a selection of bars and monkey bars at various heights (a calisthenics outdoor gym) is probably more use than these machines, they do get a fair bit of use from the older crowd, and passing famillies.

Not all the machines are equally well-designed. The seated chest press and seated lat pull down are quite clever, they're essentially using your bodyweight for the resistance, once your feet are off the ground. The seated leg press is not very challenging but works along the same principle and I think it's decent for an older person. The rower / skier / cycling / walker machines don't work as well because there is no resistance and seated positions are fixed. The walker is a bit hazardous, to be honest.

I suppose anything that fosters activity among our increasingly obese population is to be encouraged.

Advertisement