Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hanley wrote: »
    Cabinteely Park is absolutely AWESOME. Definiately check that out.

Agreed. It's the best I've seen.
    Has anyone figured out the purpose of equipment peice number two in the photos?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zamboni wrote: »
    Agreed. It's the best I've seen.

Hand walks from a dip position up and down, I'd guess.

Could use it for dynamic dips.

Could also use it for push ups, facing up or down to increase/decrease resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

100% this.

The amount of people who'd get actual use out of the equipment would be minimal.

Be careful of proximity bias, everyone :)

From what I've seen though the equipment mentioned above is exactly the same as what's installed in Clontarf which is completely unused. I mean what the hell is the point of the massage roller one or the one where you just spin a wheel??

It would be nice to strike a happy medium.

I think one of the reasons these things can go unused is that anyone curious or wanting to give them a go is going to be put off by the fact that there is never anyone using them. If you had equipment that people who train would use it might increase the footfall in the outdoor gym and attract people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ironé wrote: »
    So here is what the 3 separate quotes included:
    Have you a link to the website on these?
    ferike1 wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't see any pull up bars there? Or Monkey bars.

Those should be the cornerstone of any outdoor gym.
    +1

The equipment sounds similar to ones I have seen in blackrock park & near sandycove. Very expensive looking stuff and not a simple chinup bar in sight. It is like people are designing them to look impressive and sell onto people who also think they look good, but are not of much use. I would rather take an actual walk around the parks than stand on a cross trainer yoke with no resistance, none of the machines I used seemed to give any resistance.

This equipment is designed to cater for people who don't exercise at all at the moment so chin up stations etc are not suitable.
    On the site that manufactures the ones in sandycove & blackrock many had chin up bars & dip stations incorporated into the designs. This is very easy to do, once you have a strong frame why not stick on more bars. Any set of monkey bars could easily have a dip station incorporated at the ends. In cabinteely the most used item I see is the chinup bars, in the other parks with the fancy stuff people seem to be just messing on them for a minute like its a playground -in fact it is mainly tiny kids I see on them flying along due to there being no resistance.

This is the manufacturers site http://products.kompan.com/us/Products/FITACTIVE/X-ERCISE/index.html

I mentioned it before in this thread about parks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056590410

This is the stuff at sandycove, I think this photo shows 5 of the 6 things they installed which costed €29,000, a decent stationary setup would have been a fraction of that.
    gym_1005087t.jpg
    Zamboni wrote: »
    I posted the pic on another forum and a gymnastics coach was just recommending to do hand walks & dips like Hanley, He didn't mention any special name for them. The rails are closer together than the parallel bars in the same park, and thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

None of this stuff is made in Ireland either. It would be a good business venture.

I have to go with one of these unfortunately.

It's been great to get your advice.

Next year we're hoping to plan a lot of events and initiatives to promote health and fitness so I will def be picking your brains then too.
    then it's a complete waste of taxpayers money again.

More decisions being made by poorly informed people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Transform wrote: »
    then it's a complete waste of taxpayers money again.

More decisions being made by poorly informed people

With respect can you outline for me how well informed you are? Where do I live? What is the demographic of the area? Who uses the park and needs the equipment? Does this area, which has been badly hit by the recession, not deserve a good free outdoor fitness area that will benefit a range of members of the community?

Am I not making an effort here to become better informed?

This has been a huge amount of work and stress to get this far. It's all voluntary. I think this would be a great use of tax payers money as it would benefit such a large group of people if we can get it right.

Maybe you should become more informed yourself before making narky comments like that. But I guess sitting at your computer it's just easier to make a quick judgement with no background information at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

nice idea but not with the irish climate

rubadub wrote: »
    In the other parks with the fancy stuff people seem to be just messing on them for a minute like its a playground -in fact it is mainly tiny kids I see on them flying along due to there being no resistance.

I think this seems to be the crux of the issue with these outdoor gyms - there is no challenge after so long so eventually they will just fall out of use completely. At such expense we need better than that.

I'll look at the parks you have suggested as good examples and see if we can get quotes from them too.

I really don't want to give up on the idea completely - from what many of you have been saying if we got proper equipment (monkey bars etc.) this is something that could really be used.

Thanks again. This has been a real eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Armand Tamzarian

Have to agree with the above posts. I run on the seafront in clontarf a fair bit and absolutely no-one uses the stuff thats there. The very odd time ill see someone using the dipping station but thats about it. It really is a shame becuse a lot of people hold bootcamps and train for soccer and football there so a few stations like the ones in Cabinteely would have been fantastic. I use one of the stations as distance marker as its exactly 2.5 km from my gaff. Thats about all any of them are good for.

Have to agree with the above posts. I run on the seafront in clontarf a fair bit and absolutely no-one uses the stuff thats there. The very odd time ill see someone using the dipping station but thats about it. It really is a shame becuse a lot of people hold bootcamps and train for soccer and football there so a few stations like the ones in Cabinteely would have been fantastic. I use one of the stations as distance marker as its exactly 2.5 km from my gaff. Thats about all any of them are good for.

There are two people here who do bootcamps locally - I will get in touch with them and see if we got in the equipment like that in Cabinteely if they could get use out of them.

There is a set of gym equipment like those we were quoted in Ballincollig in Cork and someone was saying to me that they are used a lot.

I'm from near Clontarf originally. Is that stuff on the coast road? I know it's quite open there - would that perhaps put some people off - being so exposed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

There are two people here who do bootcamps locally - I will get in touch with them and see if we got in the equipment like that in Cabinteely if they could get use out of them.

Doing this would put you head and shoulders ahead of any employee of a local authority that has ever spent budget on anything ever to the power of infinity.

All joking aside you're doing the right thing by reaching out to the fitness community. I think conversations with local personal trainers and bootcamp owners and ask them the simple question:

"What would we have to install to get you to hold your classes or train your clients there rather than the local gyms or parks"

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Armand Tamzarian

There is a set of gym equipment like those we were quoted in Ballincollig in Cork and someone was saying to me that they are used a lot.

I'm from near Clontarf originally. Is that stuff on the coast road? I know it's quite open there - would that perhaps put some people off - being so exposed?
    Yeah its on the coast road. Along the path closest to the sea (if that makes sense) so its not really that exposed to traffic on the road. An awful lot of runners and walkers use that stretch of seafront and really only kids use the equipment there, and then only as a laugh for about 30 seconds. Its a bit of a joke to be honest and as someone said earlier a complete waste of money. I would have loved to have been in on the pitch meeting to dublin city council.

kevpants wrote: »
    Doing this would put you head and shoulders ahead of any employee of a local authority that has ever spent budget on anything ever to the power of infinity.

All joking aside you're doing the right thing by reaching out to the fitness community. I think conversations with local personal trainers and bootcamp owners and ask them the simple question:

"What would we have to install to get you to hold your classes or train your clients there rather than the local gyms or parks"

Yeah I definitely think that's what needs to be done. There are two women who do bootcamps, a physio who does pilates, a GAA club and a soccer club. It makes no sense to proceed without their input. Thanks again so much - all your input has kind of put me on this path - which should have been glaringly obvious to be honest.

Just to be clear - I am doing this as a volunteer on a town development association. Unfortunately our local authority has not the budget or the personal to get involved in this - although thankfully they cover the insurance. It would be way too expensive to that as an individual group.

If anyone reads this who is thinking of doing similar and wants any information on the process we went through PM me anytime.

Yeah its on the coast road. Along the path closest to the sea (if that makes sense) so its not really that exposed to traffic on the road. An awful lot of runners and walkers use that stretch of seafront and really only kids use the equipment there, and then only as a laugh for about 30 seconds. Its a bit of a joke to be honest and as someone said earlier a complete waste of money. I would have loved to have been in on the pitch meeting to dublin city council.

I know where you mean - you are a good bit back from the road alright. That's a shame as it is a lot of money. I would be gutted if we put in something and it just lay idle. I'd be physically sick looking at it every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Maybe you should become more informed yourself before making narky comments like that. But I guess sitting at your computer it's just easier to make a quick judgement with no background information at all.

Baaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

I work on a town committee and we have received a grant to install an outdoor gym in our local area. I was wondering if anyone has used these outdoor gyms and if they are worth while. Are there any pieces of equipment you feel would not be worth getting?

I have heard that some of them can be very poor quality - has anyone come across this? Or know where I could get independent reviews of equipment?

These outdoor gyms are a novelty and a waste of public money. I know of three parks with them and you very rarely see anyone using them. They're white elephants waiting to be scrap metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Hence we are saying keep it cheap and simple, with the one in cabinteely being the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I haven't seen any of the local outdoor gyms, but one thing I saw on holiday that looked fairly neat was a small collection of bars and whatnot with a large sign describing a beginner, intermediate, and advanced circuit you could do on them. I thought it was good that it showed how to combine the equipment into a workout instead of just leaving you figure it out yourself.

With respect can you outline for me how well informed you are? Where do I live? What is the demographic of the area? Who uses the park and needs the equipment? Does this area, which has been badly hit by the recession, not deserve a good free outdoor fitness area that will benefit a range of members of the community?

Am I not making an effort here to become better informed?

This has been a huge amount of work and stress to get this far. It's all voluntary. I think this would be a great use of tax payers money as it would benefit such a large group of people if we can get it right.

That's a laugh as I used to do personal training years ago from the park in cabinteely using the benches and playground in the mornings and was asked by the park manager(jim, not sure if he is still there now but really proactive guy) in selection of the equipment that went in - much of what was suggested were those totally rubbish air walkers and all the other stuff you listed which I told him to completely avoid

I pushed for all the equipment to be set up in one area but they wanted to go for it being spread out around the park.

I live on the edge of that park and use it often. Oh and I have worked in the fitness industry for 15 years now so can decide quickly as to what's useful and what's a waste of money.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I think cardio and machine based outdoor equipment (which is pretty much everything on your quotes) doesn't get used not because it's in a public location but because it just doesn't work. It might look similar to a gym piece and have the same name but it feels nothing like a gym cross trainer or chest press. The reason that pullup, dip and other bodyweight pieces get used is that they are exactly the same as you would get in a commercial gym, you can really do a workout on them.

Unfortunately they do only cater to a young beginner or fitter audience but the fact is that there is nothing practical available for older beginners or overweight people... Also at the end of the day, I think it's unanimous that any cardio/machine resistance outdoor gyms very rarely get used and are a waste of space. Even on south beach, with the weather and a very health and fitness concious attitude, they have both types on the beach and it's always the bodyweight one that has people working out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Would people please stop insulting someone who has come in here, looking for help. I'm not going to point fingers, but your credentials mean feck all when you're being a condescending rat to someone who is less informed, yet looking to be enlightened.
    This equipment is designed to cater for people who don't exercise at all at the moment so chin up stations etc are not suitable. Most Dublin parks have very easy stuff which encourages participation instead of a free gym for SQUATS DEADLIFTS CHINS AND DIP people!

100% this.

The amount of people who'd get actual use out of the equipment would be minimal.

Be careful of proximity bias, everyone :)

For real? The **** that is currently installed is barely useful for the elderly or stroke rehab patients, and I don't know many of them who bimble down to their local park to roll a wheel around. Encouraging participation is a term that I imagine is appearing in EVERY tender submitted to irone. It's a senseless term, used by marketers and developers in tandem with terms such as "building communities"...blah blah blah. Seriously surprised here.

Irone, I'd say get talking to the people at Bootcamp etc. You'll probably get better responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Greystones park is excellent if a little heavy on upper body work. Underused though, I have always had place to myself, but not complaining!

http://vimeo.com/43565049

Greystones park is excellent if a little heavy on upper body work. Underused though, I have always had place to myself, but not complaining!

That's how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

discus wrote: »
    Would people please stop insulting someone who has come in here, looking for help. I'm not going to point fingers, but your credentials mean feck all when you're being a condescending rat to someone who is less informed, yet looking to be enlightened.

For real? The **** that is currently installed is barely useful for the elderly or stroke rehab patients, and I don't know many of them who bimble down to their local park to roll a wheel around.

I'll second that. These devices in parks are utterly useless compared to their real indoor gym equivalents and the benefits of the real ones are questionable enough. I attended a gym 3 days a week for a year and saw very little benefit for the amount of time/effort/money put in. I invested in some KB's, a sandbag, speed rope, chin up bar and a heavy bag and started training at home and combined with cycling,swimming and bodyweight exercises have seen much greater results. This investment was less than half of what a year's gym membership would cost and the equipment will last for years to come.

These outdoor gyms, apart from being useless, are completely inappropriate for the Irish climate. This money would be much better spent in other ways. Perhaps subsidizing Tai Chi, Kettlebell classes or a boxing or running club.Surely a bit of imagination should be employed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

I am shocked at the cost of these outdoor gyms. €29,000!
    I used to go to bootcamp on Sandycove but they had to stop because the council were asking for > €12,000 in rent.

The equipment in Sandycove is rubbish. Nothing can be adjusted, so I can't even use the cycles and I'm not THAT small ;)

The only times I see the equipment being used is by kids or people having a laugh. Mind you I've had a sit down while my dog has a sniff around (although I'm sure park benches are cheaper ;) )

I think installing equipment that will be used by actively excercising people would be way more beneficial because it would actually be used. Ie pull up bars etc.

How does insurance work for this equipment if someone hurts themselves?

Why spend this amount of money on equipment that won't be used and instead supplement excercise classes (or at least let them make a profit) which will actually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

both.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

That is absolute class. I had no idea that set up was out there.

Does anybody have the details of the supplier that did that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

[/QUOTE
    ]

Irone, If you can get this stuff do!!
    The ladder, pressup, situp and a few other stations could be used by beginners too.
    I would imagine the local teams and bootcamper would use this.

Keeping it all in one place is probably a better idea than spreading it around the park

Thud wrote: »

[/QUOTE
    ]

Irone, If you can get this stuff do!!
    The ladder, pressup, situp and a few other stations could be used by beginners too.
    I would imagine the local teams and bootcamper would use this.

Keeping it all in one place is probably a better idea than spreading it around the park

I think there seems to be consensus that this is the way to go. I had planned from day one to keep it all together. It's a small park anyway so spreading out wouldn't have been a great option.

If anyone can get me the supplier details I'd be really grateful. Going to try and track it down now.

I will scrap the other three quotes either way - unless they can supply any equipment like the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

The Limerick Strongman club? Have you tried them?

Posted their details a few pages back.

Advertisement