Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Gyms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

ferike1 wrote: »
    The Limerick Strongman club? Have you tried them?

Posted their details a few pages back.

Looking at their facebook page now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dead_battery

Greystones park is excellent if a little heavy on upper body work. Underused though, I have always had place to myself, but not complaining!

http://vimeo.com/43565049

Hi David,

Where exactly is the Park, cant find any location for it on Google!

Cheers!

Hi David,

Where exactly is the Park, cant find any location for it on Google!

Cheers!

It's in shoreline leisure: http://www.shorelineleisure.ie/index.php?id=eco_gym

I was just on the phone to them and have tracked down the supplier who are Spraoilinn. And I have just emailed them for a quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ironé wrote: »
    Thud wrote: »

I think there seems to be consensus that this is the way to go. I had planned from day one to keep it all together. It's a small park anyway so spreading out wouldn't have been a great option.

If anyone can get me the supplier details I'd be really grateful. Going to try and track it down now.

I will scrap the other three quotes either way - unless they can supply any equipment like the above.

Highly impressed you've done your research and are listening to feedback. The country needs more ppl like you making these decisions. Kudos!!

Hanley wrote: »

Highly impressed you've done your research and are listening to feedback. The country needs more ppl like you making these decisions. Kudos!!

Thanks, I feel like we have dodged a major bullet. They are already back to me with a quote - I think it's going to work out actually. Very relieved. Disaster averted I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I agree, good job! :D

Now to set one of these parks up in Stephen's Green/Merrion Square/Iveagh Gardens (one can dream :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Shoreline leisure centre is on the main road heading out of Greystones towards delgany/killincarrig. The pull up bars etc are actually located about a mile up the road beside the now closed Jackie Skellys. It's the same complex that houses the bmx/skate park. The great thing about the park is it also has a full synthetic athletics track. Bring a kettlebell and some rings with you and you have the perfect place to train on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mickk wrote: »
    The reason that pullup, dip and other bodyweight pieces get used is that they are exactly the same as you would get in a commercial gym, you can really do a workout on them.

Unfortunately they do only cater to a young beginner or fitter audience but the fact is that there is nothing practical available for older beginners or overweight people.
    In cabinteely there is a photo of a woman about 50 or 60 doing hand walks on the parallel bars with an instructional guide. The chinup bars have 3 heights so weaker people can easily do rows, or negative reps with bent knees. I think information signs like this are very useful as many have no idea what to do. Maybe even a link to a website written on the equipment or something, "for information on how to use this go to..."

Or possibly have them arrange instructional days, like I have seen signs up in parks where people get together for free guided tours, or bird watching etc. Some local personal trainer could do it for free as it is also advertising for new clients in a way.
    Thud wrote: »
    Might be able to tell you what usage has been like on the stuff they bought etc. Any downsides too (vandalism etc)
    Some instructional signs are gone in cabinteely the equipment all looks OK. I think vandals will see the fancier moving stuff as more of a challenge to destroy. You might not want items on which they can sit & gather, teenagers all hang out on swings in the playground near me.

I think this seems to be the crux of the issue with these outdoor gyms - there is no challenge after so long so eventually they will just fall out of use completely.
    When asking the likes of park keepers about usage they would have to realise what normal usage is for each piece. If I go to cabinteely I might bang out 15 chinups and be gone after a minute, while he might see a passerby messing on a machine with no resistance for 5minutes since it is so easy to do -and wrongly think the easy airwalker yoke is the better option.

I had planned from day one to keep it all together. It's a small park anyway so spreading out wouldn't have been a great option
    Good, when doing resistance training most will want a rest before going on the next thing. In cabinteely there is a fair walk between them, I am usually on a bike so its no big deal but its a pain walking. I think the idea was that people would do circuits, and I do see people doing laps running and do some chins on each lap. But I do imagine most would prefer them together, it also allows for better designs, like having the same frame structure with 2-3 different functions connected to it.
    Greystones park is excellent if a little heavy on upper body work. Underused though, I have always had place to myself, but not complaining!

http://vimeo.com/43565049
    That looks great, the ladder thing at the end has more uses

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

My local park has a few simple fitness bits and pieces that have all been there for years and are all well used - bootcamps, people with personal trainers, people out for a jog stopping off to do a bit of strength work...

Here's what we've got:
    Adult-height monkey bars
    Pull up bars of various heights (people not doing pull ups seem to find them handy for TRX-style workouts)
    A small log supported a bit off the ground that gets used in a few different ways (supporting feet off the ground for pushups, hooking feet under for sit-ups, box jumps, step type exercises etc.)
    Parallel bars

The 2 bits that don't get used are the pole climb (too rusty) and the little stubby posts in the ground that are only good for tripping over in the dark.

None of it's anything fancier than wooden posts and metal bars in various combinations, but it does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ouchette wrote: »
    A small log supported a bit off the ground that gets used in a few different ways (supporting feet off the ground for pushups, hooking feet under for sit-ups, box jumps, step type exercises etc.)

Another excellent idea. Box jumps, step ups, lunges, assisted squats using the poles etc. I was thinking steps for same. That's a much better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Hanley wrote: »

Thanks, I feel like we have dodged a major bullet. They are already back to me with a quote - I think it's going to work out actually. Very relieved. Disaster averted I think :)

Great that it will work out, hopefully cheaper than the original stuff too?

You'll have to post some pictures of it onces it's done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

Fair play to you. I think this is great! :) It's funny, I was actually saying to a friend just last week that it would be great to have a proper outdoor work out station whilst the weather was good.

I'm back - I need some more advice on this. I am coming against some resistance from the organization giving us the grant as they feel that this equipment would only be suitable for very fit people and it needs to be useable by older people too.

I responded with an email explaining that the equipment is very versatile and that it can be used in multiple ways. We will have plenty of information up on how to use the equipment and will hold events for different levels of fitness, ability, agegroup on how to use the equipment.

Can any of you advise how say an older person could use this equipment. Someone mentioned Cabinteely - anyone have a link?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Just show them this

I'm back - I need some more advice on this. I am coming against some resistance from the organization giving us the grant as they feel that this equipment would only be suitable for very fit people and it needs to be useable by older people too.

I responded with an email explaining that the equipment is very versatile and that it can be used in multiple ways. We will have plenty of information up on how to use the equipment and will hold events for different levels of fitness, ability, agegroup on how to use the equipment.

Can any of you advise how say an older person could use this equipment. Someone mentioned Cabinteely - anyone have a link?

Thanks!

For example if there is a lower bar things like this could be done

http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/01/all-about-australian-pull-ups/

It is all about finding the right leverage point. Things like the airwalkers and other machines offer zero resistance and would be the equivalent of moving your arms in circles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I am just back from holidays and there was a good one beside the beach in Quarteria, Portugal. No moving parts, just some wood, metal and rings. Very simple but very pratical and if you know what you're doing, which granted most people don't, its simplicity actually makes it much more versatile. Great for pull-ups, dips, inverted rows, monkey bars, leg raises and press-ups. I would imagine its relatively inexpensive and very easy to maintain. Seemed to be always one person there when we walked by.

Here is a picture of it...for science.

wcipB.jpg

Someone mentioned Cabinteely - anyone have a link?
    The parallel bars showed an older woman doing 'hand walks' on them, this is where you hold onto the bars and lift yourself up as much as you can and move along using your hands. It would look like somebody recovering from rehab walking using their hands to support themselves. If you are strong enough you would do it with your legs in the air. For weaker people you just assist with your legs as little as possible.

These are other easier exercises on parallel bars.

or this way
    incline-push-finish.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Hi Irone

I'm not a regular on this forum, just happened to see the post on the front page. I do a lot of exercise with older and clinical populations, so I'm interested in this topic.

Congrats on the efforts to make a good decisions on this rather than just going with the easy option, great to see.

I'd be in agreement with some of the others that there's no reason why you can't come up with a set up which will suit all sectors of the population in your town.

To get your arguments together for your funding body, maybe have a read of some stuff about exercise in older populations, so you can see for yourself what might be needed and/or suitable. As an example, the documents here from the Centers for Disease Control in the US aren't perfect, but it's a start. Older people generally need exercises where the risk of falling is minimised, where you don't need to lie down / climb up to get into position for the exercise, which can progress from supporting only a fraction of bodyweight, and which are easy to understand and perform. For your park, some benches of different heights, some steps, and some bars at different heights (knee/waist/chest) would work really well for older/unfit people to do some basic but useful exercises.

I think the other point that you need to think carefully about it is how you are actually going to get older people to use the equipment. Obviously you can run classes in he park, but you would still like it to be used at other times, presumably. So can you divert some of your funding to cover signage for the equipment? The classic thing that i come against when I'm working with older or unwell groups is that, even if they want to exercise, they don't know what to do. And even if they do attend your introductory session they might forget what they've been shown, and be too afraid to try by themself. So try to get some really clear signs (big font, lots of pictures) showing how the equipment should be used. Even think about taking the photos yourself, using older people as your 'models' in the shots. Anything which would help to remove the intimidation factor. I think it would also be brilliant if you could suggest some simple routines, and there are lots of guidelines available which you could use, but I've no idea if there would be legal implications if someone hurt themselves or became unwell after following these guidelines (of course you could stick a disclaimer on it, but I know nothing about the legal end of stuff).

Sorry for long post! :o
    Summary:
    1) Find some published guidelines to help you understand the exercise needs of older people, and to show how your equipment could be used (if you don't know where to look, ask on here, PM me, or even perhaps contact the sports science department at your nearest university)
    2) Put signs up showing how to use the equipment, because otherwise older people will be intimidates and won't go near it

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

i was in Rio De Janeiro a few weeks back, along all of the beaches every couple of hundred yards is one of these workout stations. It's fairly simple, doesn't take up a lot of room and you can get a full workout done on it very easily...it's another idea maybe!
    Could be made from different materials to keep cost down, suit the climate etc.

circuittrx+001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

gavtron wrote: »
    i was in Rio De Janeiro a few weeks back, along all of the beaches every couple of hundred yards is one of these workout stations. It's fairly simple, doesn't take up a lot of room and you can get a full workout done on it very easily...it's another idea maybe!

circuittrx+001.jpg

Fantastic.
    Y'know with a bit of imagination every Dublin Bus shelter could be turned into a fitness station :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Zamboni wrote: »
    Fantastic.
    Y'know with a bit of imagination every Dublin Bus shelter could be turned into a fitness station :)

Well you can already, 37 seconds in:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 outdoorfitness Ireland

Hi all

I know I am a bit late to this thread but I just stumbled across it and I feel there are some areas I need to comment on. I should say first that I work with one of the companies mentioned earlier who originally quoted Irone. I am also a personal trainer with many years experience working in the leisure Industry.

My intention here is not to argue with anyone on the merits or otherwise of various types of Outdoor Gyms and Outdoor Gym Equipment. Everybody will have their own point of view on what is and isn't beneficial based on their experiences with exercising.

The main issue I want to comment on is the view that there is no challenge to lots of the pieces and therefore they are useless.
    This view is mostly taken by people who are used to indoor gyms and well initiated into the fitness and exercising world. And they have a point - some of the equipment we provide is totally useless for them. The point of an outdoor gym is not to replace or replicate an indoor gym. The main purpose of an outdoor gym is to encourage people, who would not normally have any intention of doing anything more than walking, to try something new; to initiate them into the world of fitness and to get them doing some form of exercise which they would not have done otherwise. This is not to say that the equipment is a token effort - all of the pieces can benefit a certain group in some way. Take the cross-trainer, which somebody said was useless as there is little or no resistance involved. I defy anybody to go hell-for-leather on it for 5 minutes and not be out of breath. This can be scaled back to suit all fitness levels – just because something isn’t heavy or very difficult, doesn’t mean it can’t be extremely effective.

Somebody said in an earlier post that 'encouraging participation' is a senseless marketing term. On the contrary, it is a vital term, and one which local councils and development groups should be very focused on. Obesity and health diseases associated with inactivity are at an all time high in all demographics across Ireland due to an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. If you are into fitness, great. If you are not, then we need to try new things to get you exercising because you are unlikely to pick it up i on your own. Moving the indoor gym equipment outdoors is not the answer. Making machines simple to use, challenging or beneficial in some way, accessible, inviting, and free could be.

One more small point. Somebody mentioned vandalism – not really an issue unless somebody is armed and very motivated. Kicking, pulling and jumping will not harm these machines. They are extremely solid constructions.

Having said all this I take the point that the equipment we quoted for may have been too geared towards older age groups and inactive people. After reading all the feedback here I will be looking at adding more equipment aimed at active people to our range.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I felt there was a point of view that hadn’t got fair dues here. I hope the equipment Irone settled on is doing the business for the town. It was a great idea to come to boards for advice. I wish mine got to you sooner though :)

If anyone would like to discuss anything further, feel free to contact me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

One more small point. Somebody mentioned vandalism – not really an issue unless somebody is armed and very motivated. Kicking, pulling and jumping will not harm these machines. They are extremely solid constructions.
    Ah come on now.

Out of interest what would you estimate the total cost of ownership on these things is? Eg. how much would maintenance etc cost per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

nice marketing spiel, you should set up somewebcams and see how many people use your equipment after the initial curiosity phase compared to a simple chin-up bar

The main issue I want to comment on is the view that there is no challenge to lots of the pieces and therefore they are useless.
    The comments were along the lines of this.
    Things like the airwalkers and other machines offer zero resistance and would be the equivalent of moving your arms in circles. :D
    So they are useless in the sense you can just do exercises with no machines which work similar muscles to most of these machines. So superfluous rather than useless, money would be better spent on other things. The one at sandycove was €29,000. I would say a few water fountains would attract more people to longterm go & exercise in a park more than these gimmicks.
    Take the cross-trainer, which somebody said was useless as there is little or no resistance involved. I defy anybody to go hell-for-leather on it for 5 minutes and not be out of breath. This can be scaled back to suit all fitness levels – just because something isn’t heavy or very difficult, doesn’t mean it can’t be extremely effective
    +1, much like walking/jogging/sprinting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fashionteen

My question is where is this funded outdoor gym supposed to go?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

gavtron wrote: »

circuittrx+001.jpg

Every public park could have something like that set up inside a plastic see through shelter like a large phonebox. All these things happen abraod , why not here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Because scummers would vandalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Because scummers would vandalise it.

Yes cos vandalism happens only in Ireland...

• Advertisement

Just wanted to post an update as I was the one who originally started this thread. Our outdoor gym finally got installed last week and is getting a lot of use so far. We were very happy with the company we dealt with - they were very knowledgeable, helpful and have given us great advice on how to keep it in use.

We ended up going for very simple pieces - someone had posted a link on this thread to a gym in Dublin and that is the type of equipment we went for. We got two pieces of equipment (out of about 12) that are the 'look like indoor gym equipment but have no resistance' pieces. From a fitness point of view they really don't offer much in the line of exercise but they are the most popular. Which is fine - it draws people down to the area and gets them interested. We'll be putting up a board in a few weeks with recommended circuits for the equipment.

Anyone I have talked to locally who is serious about fitness are very happy with the equipment. A lot of the local teams are going to use them for training and a local exercise class instructor is going to do classes here too. She is hoping to get the trx (hope that's the right acronym) equipment next year and use that on the pieces too.

I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who had given constructive advice on this thread. You had a direct influence on the direction we went with and I think saved us getting a collection of interesting street art with moving parts which would have lost the novelty factor very quickly.

Advertisement