Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

"Don't Look Now" really creeps me out. The two old weird sisters and the ending especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

liberate...tutemae......ex inferis

sztFW.jpg

still gives me the $hits to this day - one of the only films I can say that about which is why I admire Event Horizon so much.

The ability to provoke fear in people is an amazing thing whether it be in the written word or on screen. That's why I love rollercoasters and that's why I watch horrors. Not for the gore but for those geniously malevolent little moments you get in a scene every 100 films or so that come through the screen and send a shiver up your spine.

To the karma Gods - I am not saying I want some asian chick coming through my screen, just so we're clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

When a stranger calls.

watched one night whilst babysitting...... when the cops ring back.
    We've traced the call... it's coming from inside the house

I literally shat meself...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Not really a "horror" movie, but Stephen King's The Mist has one the best and most disturbing endings to a movie I've ever seen.

The definition of the opposite to a "feel-good" film!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Freaks scared the life out of me as a young fella. I remember watching it for the first time late one saturday night on channel4 (I think). No CGI, these are real people and the ending, well, the true epitome of sleeping with the lights on after watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

[Rec], Nightmare On Elm Street (original of course), The Omen (1978), The Descent and The Shining.

the descent was the only movie ever to make me scream like a girl (when the thing popped up in the handycam viewer).and ive watched a lot of horror movies.its was brilliantly scary.

the exorcist and a nightmare on elm street are my all time favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭briany

crazygeryy wrote: »
    the descent was the only movie ever to make me scream like a girl (when the thing popped up in the handycam viewer).and ive watched a lot of horror movies.its was brilliantly scary.

the exorcist and a nightmare on elm street are my all time favourites.

I enjoyed the descent but I'm starting to wonder if I missed something with it because I didn't find the
    the subterranean antagonists particularly scary. I had gotten the feeling that something like them would pop up so maybe I was just prepared
    , I think the reason why I had gotten that feeling was because I had previously watched the film
    'Creep'
    and it has a similar enough premise with the
    murderous underground dweller of mysterious origin (actually that film got me, especially the bit where she's down in the sewer and she turns on the light in that side room and Craig's face is just an inch from her's. I initially thought it was some dead bloke hanging there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

^^^^^^^^^

Wow i was literally just thinking of that scene as I was reading through the thread, I remember it was on TV at some point when I was in school and the next day we all knew exactly the scene when someone mentioned it.(the second exorcist is terrible if i remember rightly)

I found the Shining great and creepy but not really that scary apart from
    the scene with the woman in the bath

On more general note about horrors in Stephens Kings book Danse Macabre he talks about how the thought of whats behind the door is always scarier than whats revealed (oh its only a 10 foot monster rather than a 100 foot monster etc). Giving this scene as an example of avoiding this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

FLY.

when the dude is eating/licking his food......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would agree in the sense that I didn't find the original Exorcist scary in the slightest, but the story in itself made me quite sad,
    the sacrifice the priest makes to save the little girls soul got to me for some reason.
    Absolute hero

Spolered in case someone in the world has not seen the film :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The most frightening one for me of all time was the film 'The Beyond' In the day's when Betamax was around and Videos. We use to go to our local Video shop and you could rent anything no matter what age you was. The film will blow your mind. I found it again by chance a number of years ago, watched it, freaked me out again and then I gave it to someone.
    Now I feel it is time to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The most frightening one for me of all time was the film 'The Beyond' In the day's when Betamax was around and Videos. We use to go to our local Video shop and you could rent anything no matter what age you was. The film will blow your mind. I found it again by chance a number of years ago, watched it, freaked me out again and then I gave it to someone.
    Now I feel it is time to watch it again.

The Beyond was great, the narrative is so lacking that the film feels more like a dream, great soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

On 'The Exorcist' I was about age five or six when I saw it. It was the most frightening thing I thought. I watched it again to re-visit the terror and was a bit disappointed that I wasn't scared out of my wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

"That scene" in Exorcist III is often mentioned as a "scariest scene ever" and is certainly well up there. The video above actually omits an earlier 'false scare' section immediately beforehand which sets the clip above as the "breathe out - the noise we heard was only xxxxxx" section - NOT when you expect the REAL scare! The film itself is actually quite good and a worthy followup to the original in that it is very 'theological', but spoiled by a studio-imposed 'big battle' climax.

Advertisement