Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Think I'll watch that later....was avoiding it because harry potters in it ..

He's actually decent enough in it, but the role was too old for him.
    Needed someone a bit older to be taken seriously I think.
    And by no means a scary film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Anti-Christ is the only film to disturb me enough to be scary.

Bored me to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ishmael wrote: »
    I watched "The woman in black" recently and i found it quite scary and i would consider myself hard to scare for the most part. It was definitely the scariest film i have seen in a long while.

I watched the original of that when I was about 13 on my own one night and its still the scariest film I've ever seen, I'll never forget it.

Not a chance am I gonna let Harry Potter ruin it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Audition.

Japanese film. stands to reason.

I almost crawled from the Cinema seat on my knees I was so scared.

Couldn't imagine that someone could be so evil. Was that based on a true story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

Think I'll watch that later....was avoiding it because harry potters in it ..

That in itself is telling you how scary the movie is... :P
    i'd be scared to watch any movies with daniel radcliffe in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

THe orphanage.

awesome film. guillermo del toro(pans labyrinth) directed it. he has a few more that are worth a look. 'the devils backbone' being the most notable. stay well clear of 'don't be afraid of the dark', its terrible. but one hiccup in an otherwise flawless career. and if you haven't seen the aforementioned pans labyrinth, then go and watch it.

It has to be psychological stuff for me too, exactly what some poster said, things that could never really happen to you are the ones that scare me the most..

Also think that japanese horror movies are quite scary. I dont know how they manage with their low budgets and nearly lack of special effects, but they usually succeed in creating quite scary atmospheres.. the japanese and original versions of The Ring and The Eye are quite scary. Must try Audition..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I watched Alien for the first time when I was about 8 and staying over in a friend's house. I couldn't sleep the entire night because I thought there was a facehugger under the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I haven'd been scared by a modern horror film in years.

Slashers have never done it for me. I used to be scared of IT and Hellraiser when i was younger but apart from that i can't really think of anything else that scared me.

I find some David Lynch films unsettling, e.g Mullholland drive, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, ive also made plans to watch Wild at heart tonight for the first time.

The original Omen still scares me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

smash wrote: »
    So the only stuff that scares you, is the stuff which could never possibly happen?

Well the chances of me being kindnapped and ruthlessly tortured by a psyco are fairly slim too.

But what if you're one night alone in the house and all the lights suddenly turn off and weird strange creepy **** starts to happen??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Haunting is still pretty creepy for an old movie, the 1960s one not the godawful 1999 remake. dont find stuff like Saw scary in the slightest its just gore no scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Flatliners scared the sh*t out of me, as did The Others and The Sixth Sense. Never found slasher movies at all scary...

Well the chances of me being kindnapped and ruthlessly tortured by a psyco are fairly slim too.

But what if you're one night alone in the house and all the lights suddenly turn off and weird strange creepy **** starts to happen??!!

then you're either having a bad dream or someone is pulling a bad prank on you...

At least kidnaping an torture are real stuff that happens everyday.. maybe not happening to you.. but sure is happening to someone right now.. wether you find that or not scary, is up to you.. altho i agree that, when in movies, the scare factor of that stuff is inexistent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Forgot a good one, The Fog, the original one, used to see the fog coming in under my door for weeks afterwards as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

The original Salem's Lot scared the bejeesus out of me when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

ive watched a lot of horrors over the years and tbh 90% of them these days are ****e, but heres one i watched lately that really impressed me
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010271/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

He's actually decent enough in it, but the role was too old for him.
    Needed someone a bit older to be taken seriously I think.
    And by no means a scary film!
    My heart was in my mouth for most of it, and I don't generally find "scary" films scary..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

"There will be blood" is the creepiest film I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I watch a loooot of horrors, think I'm becoming immune to them. Paranormal Activity bored the life out of me, Lady in Black wasn't great, few scares is all.

Rec was scary at the end for sure. The Descent gave me the willies! The Japanese version of the Grudge was great, and probably the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Drag me to Hell scared me at parts too!

I love horror movies and gore, but I'm not too easy to get a scare out of any more. Which I miss :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the human centipede

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Schism wrote: »
    [Rec]

I was fine the whole way through but the ending scared the **** out of me.

rec is a really good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

The Mothman Prophecies tormented my mind when I was a lad.
    Also IT haunted me as a kid but seen it recently and had a good laugh at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Eden Lake

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Moved to films from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I don't get scared by movies very easily and I'm always looking for ones that will really scare the shit out of me!
    The Descent gave me the willies!

Yep, I think The Descent is the movie that's scared me the most. It's pretty terrifying.

Not really a "horror" movie, but Stephen King's The Mist has one the best and most disturbing endings to a movie I've ever seen.

Watched Martyrs recently. Creeped me out a little bit but not as bad as I'd hoped. Also watched The Poughkeepsie Tapes which is scary enough but a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'd love to watch Alien and Aliens again for the first time. Edge of the seat, heart thumping, feeling of dread. Life doesn't get much better than that eh? pacman.gif

The Shining too, eerie.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

FatherLen wrote: »
    awesome film. guillermo del toro(pans labyrinth) directed it. he has a few more that are worth a look. 'the devils backbone' being the most notable. stay well clear of 'don't be afraid of the dark', its terrible. but one hiccup in an otherwise flawless career. and if you haven't seen the aforementioned pans labyrinth, then go and watch it.

He only produced The Orphanage and Don't Be Afraid of The Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Event Horizon turned well scary at some point, it was weird.

All the Saw movies are pretty scary, as are all Asian "The Grudge" type horrors.

Paranormal Activity type movies aren't scary, unless screamers are supposed to be scary.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is still the scariest ever, followed by anything to do with things that could happen in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

When I first saw the shining as a young fella I was terrified but it really doesn't stand up well these days. Same for the likes of Candyman and poltergeist.

Beat I can think of so far is event horizon. Very spooky in parts and it's the right amount of gory.

Advertisement