Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The Blair Witch Project. I watched this years ago on my own and could not sleep that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

Stephen Kings 'The Mist' and 'End of the line' scared the sh*t out of me,
    thoroughly recommend these two films back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I adore horror films. But there are few that come close to scarying me...then I watched [REC] and I was tense the whole way through with the ending scarying the absolute **** out of me. I didn't realise how scared I was until I went to get off the couch and my fiancée pointed out that the couch and my t shirt where dripping with sweat. Haven't had a film do that to me before or since, so if it's scares you want it is essential viewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The first two are passable, but Paranormal Activity 3 was a genuinely creepy movie - by far the best and scariest of the three of them.

The Ring and The Grudge are pretty scary movies - I find the US versions are far scarier than the originals, watched them as well and while decent, didn't find them remotely as unsettling.

Rec and Rec 2 are great ones, as is Event Horizon. Insidious is a recent one that goes downhill pretty fast, but the first hour or so are wonderfully creepy.

I don't normally like Exorcism movies but The Last Exorcism from a year or two ago was quite good.

Drag me to Hell is a good tongue in cheek frightfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I can say I've watched a lot of scary movies and most don't do much to me apart from the occasional "Booo!" scare.

I actually found movies like the Descent and Paranormal Activity (only watch the 2nd one) more funny than scary. I was laughing most of my way through the Descent cheering the girls to kick the crap out of those monsters. In Paranormal Activity 2 nothing much happened to actually scare me. It had a couple of "Boo!!" scares but that was about it.

Event Horizon was a genuinely creepy movie. The scene of the "otherworld" where everyone is getting tortured scared the absolute **** out of me and still gives me creeps...

The Ring (both first and 2nd) were properly scary at times but overall it wasn't that creepy.

Texas Chainsaw Massacare, Grudge, Hostel and such slasher films I don't really find scary. Like it has a few WTF?! moments which creep you and a few "Booo!!" scares but nothing that keeps you up at nights.

I found the Blair Witch Project really dark. Didn't scare me much but the movie had an incredibly dark atmosphere. And then there was the ending scene which I'll put as one of the scariest scenes in a movie I've ever seen. That was the only bit in the movie that genuinely creeped the **** out of me and I'll say it made up for the rest of the movie which was fairly uneventful.

Exorcist had some creepy moments but now I kinda find it funny... Maybe cuz I've watched too many parodies of it! Although I found Exorcist: The Beginning properly scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

the Grudge and the Japanese Ring and Ring 2 because when I saw them nobody had even heard of it. I remember hearing it was about a killer videotape and I was like "those wacky Japanese, this is going to be trashy" how wrong I was, shame they made the American ones. The creepy photos and the sound design where fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Pulse was another movie that scared me... I know it got pretty bad reviews but I found the movie really dark and creepy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Ringu really had me, its a fantastic horror, I don't think the american version managed to capture the same horror.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't really scary but very unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I watched Alien for the first time when I was about 8 and staying over in a friend's house. I couldn't sleep the entire night because I thought there was a facehugger under the bed.
    I had a phobia about these movies when i was younger without even seeing them and up until this weekend I have never watched alien. Finally built up the courage and I have to say, he knew how to build the tension. You knew who was going to be attacked due to them being isolated, but instead of it happening straight away, you could be following the person for what seemed like 10 minutes before the attack.

It's amazing how well this worked, and how much all of this technique was lost in the sequels. (aliens doesn't count as it was completely different) but alien 3 added music, that destroyed the atmosphere and also the attacks happened in a crowded room quite suddenly which might make you jump or in my case, wake up.

So in conclusion, I am giving alien my scariest movie mantle just because it scared the ehit out of me even though I wouldn't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Audition.

Japanese film. stands to reason.

I almost crawled from the Cinema seat on my knees I was so scared.

Couldn't imagine that someone could be so evil. Was that based on a true story?

Last Halloween the husband and I decided to watch a load of horror flicks. The majority were Japanese and included Audition. Japanese horror is disturbing enough as is but I lost sleep after watching Audition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Event Horizon

\thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I don't get scared by movies very easily and I'm always looking for ones that will really scare the shit out of me!
    If you are constipated you could easily get a film that will bore the sh1t out of you, plenty of those around or if that didn't work try senokot tablets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Whatever happened to baby Jane, old but scary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The People Under the Stairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Ringu, Pulse, and the original Halloween for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Dagon, creepy as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

[Rec], Nightmare On Elm Street (original of course), The Omen (1978), The Descent and The Shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭briany

When I was 8 - Evil Dead 2. At that time, I didn't pick up on any of the comedic subtlety. All I could think was that everything about that film was creepy and scary as hell. The intro was scary with the story of the book, flipping through it, occasionally pausing on the visages of the possessed. The voices of the possessed were scary with that discordant twin tracking they had. The claustrophobia of the cabin was scary. Everything about the look and tone of that film scared me at that time but now of course I find it very entertaining but it will always be a creepy-arse film to me as well.

Now - Well there's a whole host of them but scary, I think, is a series of moments rather than any one film. The most successful single film for me would be P.A. followed by B.W.P. and (in spite of it being quite low budget) Alien Abduction :The McPherson Tape/Incident in Lake County. Those all got to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Shining was pretty weird I thought.
    Wolf Creek was kind of unnerving as well., especially the scene in the shed where the body of a previous victim is hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Eden Lake was another one that was a bit unsettling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Despite going downhill in its second half, I think the initial build-up of Insidious was extremely well-done. Great score, very suspenseful, unrelentingly tense, and the image of
    the man outside the nursery window on the first floor
    was genuinely creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

briany wrote: »
    When I was 8 - Evil Dead 2. At that time, I didn't pick up on any of the comedic subtlety. All I could think was that everything about that film was creepy and scary as hell. The intro was scary with the story of the book, flipping through it, occasionally pausing on the visages of the possessed. The voices of the possessed were scary with that discordant twin tracking they had. The claustrophobia of the cabin was scary. Everything about the look and tone of that film scared me at that time but now of course I find it very entertaining but it will always be a creepy-arse film to me as well.

Now - Well there's a whole host of them but scary, I think, is a series of moments rather than any one film. The most successful single film for me would be P.A. followed by B.W.P. and (in spite of it being quite low budget) Alien Abduction :The McPherson Tape/Incident in Lake County. Those all got to me.

That got me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Dead Silence

Is actually a really bad horror movie with laugh out loud moments but ventriloquist dummys/dolls always freak me out - I love horror films but this was too weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Okthanks

Excuse me but I've just joined the boards community and am trying to find my way around it.

Scariest movie, anything where a musician is making the transition to film. Mick Jagger in Ned Kelly for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

I've never found one that genuinely disturbed me, but "The Loved Ones" was pretty horrific at times. I enjoyed that one, it had me hiding behind my hands at one point, which is rare for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Dagon, creepy as ****.

That was actually a good one. Bit under the radar but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Noroi (The Curse) is as scary a film as any I've seen.

Going to sniff out 'Alien Abduction :The McPherson Tape/Incident in Lake County' as it's the only thing on this thread I've not seen - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Pet Sematary is scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Audition.

Japanese film. stands to reason.

I almost crawled from the Cinema seat on my knees I was so scared.

Couldn't imagine that someone could be so evil. Was that based on a true story?
    The film I was gonna mention. People just think it's a torture fest at the end but it's far more psychologically creepy than that. Underrated film.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The entity, disturbing cos its based on a true story

Advertisement