Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EURO2012 - Three on the Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a great pity that an event like this, which could have been great is getting ruined by people like this and it seems to be getting worse.

Bloody destroying the city. Decent folk need to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Me and a mate were at it and left to watch the second half in the Ferryman. We were waiting over 25 minutes to get in. We started queueing at 4:50 and were supposed to be in at 5. It seems some other people had been let in earlier and until they were cleared out we could not get it in as they had to do a head count. My mate happens to work in security and says it was badly managed. Also lots of people were smuggling in drink.Why did not security stop that. They sell beer there in plastic glasses for a very good reason yet people had snook in bottles of beer. I saw lots of under age drinking going on.

It was supposed to be a family day out but it certainly did not come across that. I heard that later on fights were happening from another mate who was in the VIP section so I am glad I left in time. Why can't they police it properly so that the scumbags are kept out and also so that booze can not be snook in. Is that too much to ask?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

We also left at half time.

One thing that needs to be done at these events is security/guards need to nab people who throw bottles randomly into a crowd. It happens at every single event involving outoors and booze in this country. Saw someone fire a glass beer bottle into a group of about 30 people straight towards their heads. Such cowardice. No security or guard around to try and even talk to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Went in with my mate at 5 and there didn't seem to be any major problems at that time, we left quickly enough though as we could tell that it might be a recipe for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tigerwoods1

Just joined as have to have my say on this. Very mixed reaction from me. Alot of young people drunk and few fights broke out. We were not in the vip area but this is where the biggest fight was with a good few people involved so not very VIP!!!!!!

We were just inside and went to bar in glass house area, no real que for drink and staff were very quick and friendly, 2 lads pulling pints and 2 lads serving very quickly so that was well organised, they also were all having laugh and crack with each other and customers so that was good.

Security were not as good, no security anywhere near fights when they broke out near a bar in vip area, We were searched for drink going in(we had none) yet inside loads of people had bags of bottles and cans? Then saw someone throwing bottle with 2 security people nearby and they did nothing as it was a group of about 12 lads. Im sure they saw it. Surely bags of drink was noticable?

Screen was impressive but sometimes hard to see with sun. Athmosphere was very good in most areas and singing and crack was good. But if i had kids it is a definate NO NO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Doesn't look like the place to bring the family to then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 handsome_rob

Just talked to Store Street Garda Station and they say they have taken the necessary measures to close the event down and said it wont be going ahead this thursday

Was there and left 20 mins before kick off disaster waiting to happen. It was an absolute disgrace and 3 should be ashamed of themselves for putting people in danger, the reports on here would make you sick

Would be interested in hearing from the 3 representative who posted earlier in the thread encouraging people to go for an explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

honestly, who couldn't predict the cesspit that "event" was inevitably going to descend into? As soon as i heard it was going ahead, I just envisioned another 40 foot incident from a few weeks ago - thankfully, i've not heard of things getting that bad. Scroteville central!

I'm embarrassed to say my youngest brother went along. . .but he's young and stupid so I could have expected as much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree with everyone else here about all the underage gurriers showing up with their cans and bottles and ruining it for everyone else. It is a terrible shame as it is a great venue to have something like this. I disagree that the location of it automatically means trouble. I have been to several festivals there (Oktoberfest, Christmas Market, Paddys Day Beer Festival, Africa Day, the Bavaria race thingy) and have never seen or experienced an ounce of trouble.

I don't know if the same company sets up events there and hires security for them & the sponsor pays the bill. Maybe it was just a stupid presumption on their part that the same level of security for other events was perfectly fine here. If it was fair enough, just hire A MASSIVE amount of more security and it could be fine.

There needs to be actual gates that people walk thru, that every single person going in gets screened at. If you appear to be drunk, you don't get in. If you are under 18, you don't get in. If you are carrying a bag, you must open it & if there is booze in it, you don't get in. End of story. At Sundays event there were a loose series of barriers with gaps between them. Anyone could freely walk around them and on into the event, with their rucksack full of Dutch Gold on their shoulder.

There were 2 security guards per gate with maybe 2 Guards looking on, doing nothing and not helping screen anyone. There were far too many people coming in that the security guards could stop or check. If if they did stop someone and ask if they had booze in their bags, they just let them go on in if they said that they didn't. The bags were not checked. I mean, how stupid is that?

If such intense screening means that people have to queue up to get in, too bad. We have only ourselves to blame in tolerating this kind of shyte. Where were the parents of these little scumbags? Why are they not getting calls from Store St Garda Station telling them to get their arses out of the pub and come pick up their little darling who has being causing havoc around people who are just trying to enjoy a day out?

We got there early. Didn't have VIP tix but didn't need them. Got a grand waterside spot right at the railing beside the entrance to the VIP area. Nothing and no one in front of us blocking our view of the big screen. Lovely jubbley. Then all the little gurriers arrived, climbed over the railing in front of us and congregated blocking everyone's view. Then began the games of harassing the meagre 2 people doing security for the VIP area. Anyone who asked them to move or at least sit down (like you can see in the video) were told to eff off.

They were climbing all over the railings and scaffolding and risking god knows what injury by climbing over the scaffolding over the water trying to sneak up onto the walkway to the VIP area. 2 The security guards had their hands full up at the gate, and had their backs to them so no attention was being paid to what they were doing. Some of them were successful. Some were not, but you could tell by their demeanour that the ones who were successful were going to cause nothing but trouble when they got there. No doubt if one of the little darlings fell in the filthy dirty water, or hurt his head on the scaffolding, their parents would be onto a solicitor like a shot looking for compensation.

Sorry about the length of this rant, but 2 days later and I am still really, really pissed of at how this all went down. I live in the area. I love having Georges Dock and all the events and festivals held there right on my doorstep. I was thrilled when I heard that this was taking place. But will I be going back if Thursdays event goes ahead? Nope. I'll be finding me a pub somewhere else. How monumentally effed up is that when the people who live in the area don't think that it is a safe or enjoyable event to attend?

Notice that the official 3 event representative has yet to show up and make a comment. I wonder have they all been fired?

Just went on to Three's page on facebook (www.facebook.com/3Football)...have a look at the last comment there?

They don't seem to be too concerned about any of the reports by the looks of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Was there and left 20 mins before kick off disaster waiting to happen. It was an absolute disgrace and 3 should be ashamed of themselves for putting people in danger, the reports on here would make you sick

Would be interested in hearing from the 3 representative who posted earlier in the thread encouraging people to go for an explanation?

Yeah lets blame the company and not the drunken imbeciles that have to ruin any type of civic event we have in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Doesn't sound like its canceled then?

Yeah lets blame the company and not the drunken imbeciles that have to ruin any type of civic event we have in this city.

The company hosting the event did not:

1. Hire enough properly trained security guards who can handle the amount of people showing up to get in. Two people per gate is not enough when 5000 people are expected to attend.

2. They did not put proper alcohol screening procedures in place. No one that I saw was asked to open their bag so the presence of alcohol could be checked. The security guards that I passed didn't seem to care really who was being let in, or what they had in their bags. I mean who goes to an event like this with a big rucksack on their back, or carrying a big Dunnes shopping bag? It's not Oxygen. You are not going away for an entire weekend. You don't need to bring a tent. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what was in the bags.

I personally think that the security guards just didn't wanted the hassle of confiscating booze and taking grief from people who were already several beers into the day. If that is the case, fire them and get people in WHO WILL DO THEIR JOB ! Event security is often a tough and thankless job. I get that. But if that is what they are hired to do, they should be doing it !

3. They did not have properly monitored, one person at a time entrance gates to keep said drunken imbeciles from attending these civic events. It was a bit of a free for all at the gates.

4. They did not implement an over 18 age policy. That may sound a bit harsh, but considering that a lot of the hassle was causing by underage drinkers, it makes sense to me.

5. There was little to no security (that I could see) patrolling the event itself & confiscating bottle and cans of alcohol that should have been brought in, or getting people to leave who were clearly causing a disturbance to others.

Doing some or all of the above could have made the event much more enjoyable imo. So yes, I do believe that some (not all) of the blame for what happened should be laid at their door.

Are you serious???

Three put on the event, therefore owe the people that attended at least the most basic level of security and regard for public safety. There was absolutely none whatsoever which has been accurately reported throughout the rest of this thread. The event was dangerous and hopelessly mismanaged.

Its just lucky someone wasnt seriously injured and feel very sorry for the previous poster who's fiancee who was abused and for the subsequent attack in coming to her defence.

There were 12 arrests made on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tigerwoods1

Yeah seems like its definately going ahead. Im sure they have learnt alot from what happenned. As i said earlier I know i was asked had we any drink with us even though we had no bags. But when we got in loads had drinks with them(and alot were glass bottles which should definately have been confiscated).
    Yes the idiots that started the rows and bottle throwing are to blame for ruining a "family night" but how can they get in to the area??? They got past or sneaked past security.
    As said earlier the whole set up of getting in and out was wrong should have been better barriered up and extra security at entrance to area.
    It needs to be made Over 18s only. ID required at security ALL bags confiscated so NO drink allowed in. There is plastic cups for beer inside and bars are quick and on par pricewise with most city centre pubs so your not being robbed.
    It could be a great night if it is marshalled right and the trouble makers are not allowed in or if there is trouble they can be picked out and removed immediately.
    Also didnt realise that the gap between food trailers were toilets where both men and women found an easy way using bathroom!!!!!! Simple lads put barriers up between them at front and not have piss running down in front of food areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

From Balls.ie

The New Romantics (Post-Croatia At George’s Quay) (Arguably NSFW)

n Categories:Euro2012, football, Latest News
    romance.jpg

Get a room, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The good thing about this going ahead again is that the rest of the city should be a bit safer as a large percentage of the scumbags will be located here.

I actually had no idea this was on, live close by.. decided to head to supervalu on Talbot street at about 9:40 on the Sunday, and was caught completely off guard by the complete scum lurking around the area..finally got to the store and had to spend an extra 10 mins locked inside because the drunk dickhead fans were smashing the windows and kicking the doors in of the shop from the outside, undercover police finally arrived and we got let out.

I walked through the area a few times since and there's still a stench of urine in the air...If Three had any decency they'd cancel this crappy event and cut their losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

To enjoy this event you need to be in a very large group. We went as a group of roughly 20 and ended up with another 30-40 we knew, got there early and got our own spot very quickly. Even still a fight kicked off against some prick looking for trouble, no security in sight to stop it until both sets of friends broke it up. Thought it was great craic but unless you have your own group's spot and enough people around you to ward off the cúnts looking for trouble, it could certainly be no craic whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Three: Sheena M

We’re very sorry to hear of the various comments of disappointment about the event and can assure you we have certainly taken all feedback on board and since Sunday we have taken steps to increase the security, change the crowd control and queuing system and most importantly we have made this a ticket only event. Those tickets are being pre-allocated to the people who have registered online already for the event and no entry allowed unless you have a ticket.

Finally, please note that we really value your feedback and have done everything to address all the concerns mentioned to ensure the event on Thursday and Monday run smoothly and are enjoyable for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

We’re very sorry to hear of the various comments of disappointment about the event and can assure you we have certainly taken all feedback on board and since Sunday we have taken steps to increase the security, change the crowd control and queuing system and most importantly we have made this a ticket only event. Those tickets are being pre-allocated to the people who have registered online already for the event and no entry allowed unless you have a ticket.

Finally, please note that we really value your feedback and have done everything to address all the concerns mentioned to ensure the event on Thursday and Monday run smoothly and are enjoyable for all concerned.

Sheena, allow me to give you some feedback.
    1) Great move making it a ticket only event - with this in place I would have gladly attended again as it had great potential.
    2) How ridiculous is it that at the very same time its announced it will be a ticket only event that you also announce that there's no availability? I don't think there was ever any mention of "if you want to ensure you can gain access for future events, you must register your interest". Especially not on here or on FB since the 1st event (it was only after the 1st event that I looked it up on FB). I must say, I find this very annoying after having supported the 1st event.

For a communications company there has been a distinct lack of it regarding this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I applied for the VIP tickets but didn't get any, does this mean I'll be offered normal tickets now? Haven't received any notification so I presume not?

Agree with wolfman 100%

Coming on here to to tell people THE DAY BEFORE THE EVENT that it is now a ticket only event, is a bit of a wast of time if registration to get said tickets is now closed.

Bit of a joke that I can not attend a free event taking place right outside my front door, as I do not have a ticket that I am (a) only now finding out that I need, but (b) can't get as they are all gone.

As Jim Royale would say, Communications my ar$e !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Deep breaths folks!

Sheena posted to thank the posters of this forum & happened to mention that future events are ticket-only affairs. This was not an official announcement by Three (they have not requested to officially post in this forum).

So - accept her post for what it was - just a response to earlier posts.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Deep breaths folks!

Sheena posted to thank the posters of this forum & happened to mention that future events are ticket-only affairs. This was not an official announcement by Three (they have not requested to officially post in this forum).

So - accept her post for what it was - just a response to earlier posts.

tHB

That's fair enough THB but she is a "verified representative" and they may have not requested to "offically post" but IMO any public communications from a "verified representative" of a company is pretty much communication from said company.

Her comments on here led me to the official announcement on the FB page and website where it was made much clearer that no more tickets were available. (I actually went over there to register - stupid me!)

I think most people, even their representatives, will look at this and see that they've made a bit of a hash of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

So was anyone there last night, would you recommend it for the game on Thursday?

Awful mate, full of scum, unless you're in the 'VIP' section you won't see much. The sound is poor. The security team were poor, or should i say the poeple running the security event were poor. Scrotes jumping over the fences to get in after being turfed out. I could go on..

Three have said they've ironed out all the problems from Sunday, i'll wait for feedback about tomorrow before i consider going on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

I can see there being trouble here tommorrow as the best part of pie balls that went the other night will go again and be refused entry without a ticket. They certainly won't accept this

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

KingK wrote: »
    I can see there being trouble here tommorrow as the best part of pie balls that went the other night will go again and be refused entry without a ticket. They certainly won't accept this

My thoughts exactly. I won't be going. Can't anyway. No ticket. Well didn't even get a chance to register!

I was there for the first game and it started out great. Got the premium viewing tickets so we had been in both sections. No point repeating everything that was wrong with it. It got messy and with 5 minutes of the match to go we decided to leave and get out of there.

It's really disapointing that we can't go to events like these without scumbags showing up and ruining it. Bit sick of it now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

i am looking for three tickets if anyone doesnt fancy it PM me,

Thanks
    BRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

i am looking for three tickets if anyone doesnt fancy it PM me,

Actually, feck it. Me too :)

Advertisement