Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it might be more a case of an incomplete open world. All these ideas that never got fully implemented.

Yeah I get this feeling as well, they would have liked to have done more but it probably wasn't possible in the time frame. I mean the current raft of bugs show that what they currently have has given them trouble.
    weemcd wrote: »
    Have you played it yet?

No not yet so my comments on it have just been impressions from videos I've seen. So I could be wrong in fairness.
    Markitron wrote: »
    As much good as CDPR did with TW3 and GOG, their actions in promoting this game have been extremely questionable for years now. T

I find it very hard to really see this as deception from CDPR. They delivered an underwhelming game. That isn't a crime. Nobody sets out to make a bad game either. I think they just did a Molyneaux, over promised and under delivered. It's not coming from a bad place. I imagine if they delayed the game again for a year people would be even more annoyed especially if the PS4/One SKU got dropped even though that would probably be the correct decision. You can't please everyone.

It's up to CDPR to turn it around now. They did it before with Witcher 3 and there's been lots of times ubisoft have greatly improves their games with support. Hopefully CDPR can do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They didn't show any base console footage or send it out for review, its hard to see how it wasn't at least an attempt at covering up the base console performance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find it very hard to really see this as deception from CDPR.

I don't think its deception either, I was actually referring to them constantly stirring the pot and riling up the trans community for the last few years.
    AdamD wrote: »
    They didn't show any base console footage or send it out for review, its hard to see how it wasn't at least an attempt at covering up the base console performance issues.

Their saving grace here is that they didn't put out stable footage and claim it was base PS4 and XB1. This is night and day compared to what Gearbox did with Colonial Marines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

AdamD wrote: »

absolutely. They knew that the game ran awful on last gen and was still working on it right upto the day before and still couldn't fix it.
    It was blatant deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

No not yet so my comments on it have just been impressions from videos I've seen. So I could be wrong in fairness.

536288.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I find it very hard to really see this as deception from CDPR. They delivered an underwhelming game.

Of course it is. They withheld the console versions of the game from the public and reviewers because they knew it would be perceived negatively. The CEO himself admitted that they ignored the warning signs on last gen consoles and pushed ahead with the release anyway. The same CEO 3 days before release stated quote "the game runs surprisingly well on consoles".

When you knowingly hide the true state of an item in order the maximum sales and reduce negative reviews, that is deception.

The fact that they went out of their way to conceal the console versions until release is evidence of blatant deception. They knew if they showed it that console players would have cancelled preorders.

They knew what they were doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

weemcd wrote: »
    536288.jpg

But I do, video reference. Not that that's great but I never claimed otherwise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Releasing a disappointing game? Not deception. Hell, what means ‘disappointing’ is so subjective that when judging a piece of media I’m not sure how it can be seen as some mass deception.

But actively hiding a **** version of a game until people can buy it just to make money as quickly as possible? Pretty darn deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Where were all you ****ers when Gearbox released Aliens Colonial Marines?

They did far more than hide a version of their game, they created a fake demo and sold it has real gameplay. It has been almost 8 years and they were never held accountable by the games media or even the general gaming public.

As far as I am concerned, anyone complaining about Cyberpunk that also bought Borderlands 3 or Godfall is Trump-level hypocrite.

Genuinely sorry for going off on a tangent but I'm still salty about that Aliens game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

But I do, video reference. Not that that's great but I never claimed otherwise?

But that reference is heavily biased on what message the video maker wants to put out.

On PC with a RTX 2070 S this game runs and looks fantastic and the attention to little details, like how your characters feet flick the peddles on the bikes your riding when you change up gears, really pulls me into the world. The Dev's obviously ran out of time to bug fix and polish the game but just like Witcher 3 I can see the GOTY edition being something special.

I'm having a blast with this game and I've hardly touched the main missions yet due to the side missions and gigs being so good. The amount of fixer missions that keep popping up is crazy and between them and running around to the various shops looking for upgrades, Cyberpunk 2077 is sucking my free time like a starving vampire.

Console peeps got screwed by CDPR for sure and any who hold off refunding should get future DLC for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

It's a shame ancient consoles hold back games, it's like giving out about your iPhone 4 not working with new apps and throwing a hissy fit at app developers.

I feel sorry for cdpr, we're people really that delusional that a crysis of this generation would run well on a 7 year old console. Imagine what it would look like if they were to focus on new hardware only

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's more I just find that type of open world a complete waste of my time. It's just something that gets in my way when going from mission to mission. All it does is pad out the length of the game with sections that just aren't any fun. If you cut out the open world you probably wouldn't be missing out on anything.

On the other hand games like BotW, Spiderman etc. traversing the open world is the whole gameplay loop and as a result it doesn't feel like your time is wasted. It's actually fun to do and as a result the open world doesn't feel like an obstacle between you having some actual fun.

That's fair enough but there are plenty of open world games that are the same, still very popular and don't get slammed for it. I'm enjoying the open world of Cyberpunk much more than any of the Ubisoft open world games or even Elder Scrolls/Fallout series. Even in GTA V which this is being compared to have nothing to do in it's open world apart from driving about (admittedly the driving is a lot better in GTA than here). There are a few collectables and some races and I think that is it but, hey, if you stare at random NPC in GTA they will fight you whereas in Cyberpunk they don't so Cyberpunk is a piece of shít.

The pre-release footage of most games comes from PC or the pro consoles. I'm struggling to remember any game where they demo'd the game running base consoles. I'm not defending the practice but everybody knows this already. Claims that they are "hiding" the game are a bit of a stretch.

If you want to know how a game runs on your system then just wait til after release before buying. Digital Foundry cover nearly every major game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KilOit wrote: »
    It's a shame ancient consoles hold back games, it's like giving out about your iPhone 4 not working with new apps and throwing a hissy fit at app developers.

I feel sorry for cdpr, we're people really that delusional that a crysis of this generation would run well on a 7 year old console. Imagine what it would look like if they were to focus on new hardware only

Normally I lament consoles holding back the PC version of the game as well but in this case it benefited me. I can actually play it decently enough on my PC which is pretty old at this stage. I was expecting it to run like shít and I'd have to upgrade before playing it.

I agree with the others. I feel bad for the base console players as the experience there seems a lot poorer than the PC version and it does look like CD Projekt Red tried to hide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The pre-release footage of most games comes from PC or the pro consoles. I'm struggling to remember any game where they demo'd the game running base consoles. I'm not defending the practice but everybody knows this already. Claims that they are "hiding" the game are a bit of a stretch.

If you want to know how a game runs on your system then just wait til after release before buying. Digital Foundry cover nearly every major game.

Yeah Devs using a roided up PC to show off a game is nothing new but the issue with this game is more down to how CDPR banned anyone from reviewing the console versions of the game and even those with top tier PC hardware, were not allowed to use their own footage in case they showed off any bugs they encountered. CDPR rightfully deserved to be nailed to the wall for this.

They marketed it as a PS4/Xbone game. They only have themselves to blame.

Also, if they did the honest thing and didn't launch on ancient hardware, they wouldn't have made anywhere near as much money. Strange, that...

CD Projekt Red CEO recently reaffirmed this, saying Cyberpunk 2077 will work “surprisingly well” on PS4 and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/cyberpunk-2077-ps4-xbox-one-ceo/

Spoofer.

Games are always meant to run on the console they're made for. These aren't rolling OSs on gradually improving hardware where stuff gets left behind. If something is made for a console, it should work. That's just what consoles are.. Plug in and play.

CD Projekt Red CEO recently reaffirmed this, saying Cyberpunk 2077 will work “surprisingly well” on PS4 and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/cyberpunk-2077-ps4-xbox-one-ceo/

Spoofer.
    That's the guy who is selling you the game. If the word of the CEO is enough for you to slap money down on a product before reviews then you are very naive.

Digital Foundry had a PS4 video showing how bad it was on Dec 10th - the release date. People need to stop being babies and take responsibility for how they spend their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Every ad on TV right now says you can play it on Xbox, they even released a Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X like 6 months ago. It doesn't run great on anything as there are still numerous bugs regardless of platform.
    Poor, poor CDPR alright.

That's the guy who is selling you the game. If the word of the CEO is enough for you to slap money down on a product before reviews then you are very naive.

Digital Foundry had a PS4 video showing how bad it was on Dec 10th - the release date. People need to stop being babies and take responsibility for how they spend their money.

I didn't buy it, it looks ****e.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Out of curiosity, how many of those disappointed in this, specifically around the the world itself being a bit shallow, played the Witcher 3?

It seems similar to TW3 to me. It's an open world but there's not much to do, the strength comes from the interesting side quests compared to the usual crap in RPGs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thought this was funny :pac:

qn40mhs1ki561.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It really is laughable how they made it sound like it was 3 games in one Corpo/Nomad/Street Punk, they're literally irrelevant 5 minute openers before it dumps you into the exact same game as everyone else, wtf was the point in that? That was a bigger scam than anything No Man's Sky pulled.

That's pretty much dragon age origins. I didn't expect anything from the choice other than affecting dialogue options really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

Thargor wrote: »
    It really is laughable how they made it sound like it was 3 games in one Corpo/Nomad/Street Punk, they're literally irrelevant 5 minute openers before it dumps you into the exact same game as everyone else, wtf was the point in that? That was a bigger scam than anything No Man's Sky pulled.

but how can that be said without three different playthroughs, they could have very different stories played out three different ways.

how you get to the main story yeah that was short but what happens in the game after that appears to be altered by what i can decide to do on my corpo options

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Another tough guy elite consumer in the house, everybody!

I know this is going to be hard to believe, but not everybody watches in depth frame rate analysis videos before buying video games. This game was heavily advertised across every conceivable medium. It's not Deus Ex back in 2000. This is - even in its current state - a massive crossover hit.

You can technically find inroads into the argument you're making, sure, but the simple fact is a lot of decent people got duped by a demonstrably unfit for purpose product that objectively had quite a lot of deception tactics going on in its review window.

How you can go out of your way to take the "Man up, buyers!" line on it is beyond me. What's the point? They completely blew it. And I say that as someone enjoying the hell out of it on a Series S right now.

Mistakes were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

recyclops wrote: »
    but how can that be said without three different playthroughs, they could have very different stories played out three different ways.

how you get to the main story yeah that was short but what happens in the game after that appears to be altered by what i can decide to do on my corpo options
    Well I can't speak definitively I only played Nomad as far as the start of the heist before I restarted and played Corpo up until just after the heist but I'd be very shocked if it wasn't exactly what it appears to be, the odd dialogue option here and there, I'm not going to research different endings because spoilers but I will be shocked if its 3 separate plots based on this lazy bait and switch.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many of those disappointed in this, specifically around the the world itself being a bit shallow, played the Witcher 3?

It seems similar to TW3 to me. It's an open world but there's not much to do, the strength comes from the interesting side quests compared to the usual crap in RPGs.

I didn't buy CP because I didn't like TW3. I thought the RPG elements of TW were pretty weak, I just saw it as a story based action adventure game. So I held off on CP because of that. I'm glad I waited!

Advertisement