Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The most shocking thing about the cyberpunk saga is the positive reports about stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The most shocking thing about the cyberpunk saga is the positive reports about stadia.

It's not shocking to anyone who's ever actually used Stadia before. Just shocking to the people who have never tried it but still decide to bad mouth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

It's not shocking to anyone who's ever actually used Stadia before. Just shocking to the people who have never tried it but still decide to bad mouth it.

I've tried it multiple times and I would happily bad mouth it

iTs Ur InTeRNEt COnnEction!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Booted the game up this evening and it had randomly reset all my settings.

One issue I'm having is that the button actions (R2 Shoot, square reload etc ) are stuck on the bottom right of the screen.

I went into the hud settings and toggled everything off which got rid of the phone button actions on the let of the screen but the ones on the right are still there :confused:

Is this a glitch or did I miss something ?

Turns out it's caused by interacting with a turret in a mission and to fix it you have to go into the interfaces option and turn off hints.

You would have to know it existed to bad mouth it. I mean I know it's there but Google aren't exactly shouting from the rooftops about it to promote it. As a gamer and android phone owner I'd expect to see some stadia news on my feed but I see nothing.

I have actually seen CP77 run on my brothers stadia and yeah it's the elephant in the room in terms of performance and the one that isn't being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

timeToLive wrote: »
    I've tried it multiple times and I would happily bad mouth it

iTs Ur InTeRNEt COnnEction!! :D

What Internet speeds have you? There are plenty of people it won't work for. And that's fine. I'm not gonna tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has some massive shortcomings.
    Cloud gaming isn't here to try and take over from consoles. It's purely another option for people. One I'm delighted is available.
    I didn't like it in the beginning because it only really worked on my TV. Once phone and browser became an option too it made perfect sense for me to use it as my AAA platform. It's the perfect companion for the Nintendo Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A few stray thoughts into act two - ignoring any graphical concerns or disappointing amount of crashes on PS5.

I think the last thing I expected from this game was for it to be quite charming. There's a fundamental decency to V's friends that is quite warm and welcoming. It's really nice, but I think creates a bit of a tonal dissonance. It's trying to be a hard-boiled noir, cynical sci-fi, crude satire and heartwarming tale of friendship and community all at once. The tone's not quite there for a wholly coherent storytelling.

The writing's generally strong, though, despite that tonal jankiness, and it's amplified by characters that feel physically present in the world - just the way they sit down, to take one mundane example, feels so natural. It has the technological oomph to pull it off (at least on non-base consoles).

V's a bit of a mess of a protagonist, however. There's not much depth there, and CDPR try to walk the line between heavily authored hero and player-controlled blank slate with very mixed effect. The people around her (
    and, in Johnny's case, within her
    ) are more interesting. You miss Geralt in that respect - a tightly written, distinctive character where the player was nonetheless given the power to push or pull in a given direction as they wished. V, partly by the game's first person nature, just can't land the same way.

The city's a beautiful disappointment. So many incredible sights, so little to do within it. Kinda like RDR2, this feels like an open world in search of a game. When CDPR take the reins for a scripted mission or setpiece, it can be quite the thing. When you're driving around, only the technology and setting differentiate this from the most bog standard of open world games. The level of random interaction and dynamism is annoyingly low.

The gameplay's a whole load of nothing. Shallow systems, tedious micro-management, and a whole lot of monotonous shooting / half-baked stealth. I'm not quite sure whether this is trying to be Dishonoured or Deus Ex and failed, or whether it merely aimed lower. The game's economy actively blocks off the cool stuff, and the crafting system is a visual and design mess that's often best ignored. Regardless, as an immersive sim this is a failure, as a shooter it's a bore, and as an RPG it's a chore.

Things like the wanted system are simply disastrous. Police teleporting to you at the slightest hint of trouble and then V being able to escape within 20 seconds of half-arsed driving... it betrays that something going very, very wrong during this game's development. Such clearly 'just ship something' level systems suggest a game that needed months if not years longer in the oven. See also: the disappearing traffic and pedestrians.

Yet there are moments when it warms the heart or gets the heart racing - hints and flourishes of CDPR at their best. They're fleeting though, drowned out by incredibly shaky foundations and under-realised ambition. It's a great game and a bad one thrown in a blender - the result, frustratingly, is bang average.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I wonder how Pixelburp is getting on playing this with his 2GB of VRAM? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ShaneU wrote: »
    Was really disappointed with the Nomad start. You're in the city after twenty minutes, what a joke.

Think the nomad is the longest start as well.

Your background comes up constantly, there's an achievement for playing into it and using that. Didn't play nomad but from all the times corpo has played into missions and dialogue for me I really wonder what would have happened when you'd to go outside the city in the main story.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I won't quote the big Johnny post but yea, the world feels weirdly bare. Not literally barren (except on certain systems I guess) but everything is weirdly fake and shallow I find. There's just not much of a 'game' here really, just extremely impressive set dressing.

I am playing the 'good' version of the game on a 3070 and I'm mystified as to the IGN review. I think the gamespot review was the most spot on, on PC at least this is a 7/10 game I think and the visuals are what carry it.

This is your killer app for ray tracing. I think this and Metro Exodus are the only two that do the global illumination via RT which is much more transformative to the look of a game than mere shiny reflections. If the Stadia version can do the 'psycho' RT preset and hit a high resolution to cut down on image quality loss then it is worth checking out that version imo

The one thing I do like still is the way quests are scheduled and are woven together throughout the day. Sometimes you can wait an entire week to hear back from a character on a critical plot development, it gives a real sense of time passing. I suppose it actually works based off some sort of trigger but it's neat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Took a break from it tonight to boot up Paradise Killer for the first time in a few weeks. Two games unmistakably at the opposite ends of the budget spectrum, but PK is a game where its open world feels like an integral part of the design. It pushes you to explore and uncover the story yourself, at your own pace. It’s up to you to decipher the game’s central mysteries and put them together. It rewards exploration with worthwhile secrets.

That’s a small indie game, but have to be honest I think it’s a more imaginative and interesting take on open world design than Cyberpunk, even if CDPR’s game is infinitely more technically and architecturally elaborate (music’s substantially better in PK, though ;)). There’s room for innovation on open world gameplay, but this ain’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Right lads. I have reached a point in the game, where a messege pops up, telling me I am at the point of no return.

When I did some half arse searching about this, I got long spiels about the various endings in the game.

I think it's telling you once this is over you will lose any hint of Johnny in the game.

What should I do? Should I explore most of the side quest's first?

The writing's generally strong, though, despite that tonal jankiness, and it's amplified by characters that feel physically present in the world - just the way they sit down, to take one mundane example, feels so natural. It has the technological oomph to pull it off (at least on non-base consoles).

Wait until you get to act 3. The writing fell apart for me then. I could ignore some discrepancies in act 1 and 2. I could not ignore this bit.
    When you speak to Hanako, your only reason for being there is to save your own life. You have two choices when you speak to her. 1. I don't believe you. 2. I don't believe you. It's annoying! I don't know how they settled on that being acceptable at all.
    It seems like a review of the writing was needed at some point and that just did not happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really sounds like another open world game where the open world only exists to house missions. I really don't see the point in the open worlds in these types of games, it's just a check box for the execs. You are probably better off creating something like Dishonored. If the open world isn't the point of the game, like BotW, then I don't see the point in making an open world. Even Spiderman on the PS4 or the first Crackdown makes moving through the open world fun. There's a point to it in those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm loving the motorbike but still early in act 2, i don't feel like I'm missing out by using fast travel. The only things i come across on the map are gang members harassing people that i can step in and kill them before going on my way. I already have hundreds of icons on my map for these type of things so i have no incentive to stop and help anyone. I think I've 11 hours put in and haven't done much yet but so don't want to spend/waste more time aimlessly driving around

Not sure if it's connected but this is the first game of its type where i don't care if use lethal or non lethal option. I usually always go for non lethal when i have a choice but i don't really care in this.

I'm still enjoying the game but the open world aspect feels lifeless and messy. Johnny is great and slicing people up with my katana is all kinds of class plus shotguns actually feel powerful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It really sounds like another open world game where the open world only exists to house missions. I really don't see the point in the open worlds in these types of games, it's just a check box for the execs. You are probably better off creating something like Dishonored. If the open world isn't the point of the game, like BotW, then I don't see the point in making an open world. Even Spiderman on the PS4 or the first Crackdown makes moving through the open world fun. There's a point to it in those games.

There are lots of side gigs in the open world and random groups of gangs you can fight so there is stuff to do there. There is a lot more of it than there is in most open world games and it is a lot more interesting than the collectables shíte that most open world games fill their world with. Despite the dumb NPC AI it is a much better world than Watch Dogs 2 and Skyrim/Oblivion/Fallout. They all get great reviews and nobody says the open worlds in those games are pointless. Even the NPC AI being really dumb isn't that big of an issue in my opinion. Who cares? I rarely interact with these characters in games any way so what does it matter. Sure it would be better if the NPC AI was better but it doesn't make it a rubbish game.

It's more I just find that type of open world a complete waste of my time. It's just something that gets in my way when going from mission to mission. All it does is pad out the length of the game with sections that just aren't any fun. If you cut out the open world you probably wouldn't be missing out on anything.

On the other hand games like BotW, Spiderman etc. traversing the open world is the whole gameplay loop and as a result it doesn't feel like your time is wasted. It's actually fun to do and as a result the open world doesn't feel like an obstacle between you having some actual fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ShaneU wrote: »
    Was really disappointed with the Nomad start. You're in the city after twenty minutes, what a joke.

Same with the corpo
    basically meet up with jackie and start your new life within about five minutes.
    Thought there was gonna be more to it than just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Same with the corpo
    basically meet up with jackie and start your new life within about five minutes.

Also i watched back a gameplay video and a lot of it was taken from the montage of you and Jackie. Not sure if they were trying to mislead or originally you could play the montage and it got cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Also i watched back a gameplay video and a lot of it was taken from the montage of you and Jackie. Not sure if they were trying to mislead or originally you could play the montage and it got cut.

I take it the montage is the same for everyone?
    Just the whole "which life path will you choose" selling point is made redundant after about five minutes gameplay (aside from a few conversation options that pop up sometimes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So apparently CDPR have walked back on offering any refund outside of what Sony/Microsoft offer by default.
    That's a shocking walkback from a company which many gamers including myself supported saying they would fix this as shown by previous support to the gaming community.
    Now I think they'll throw the last gen gamers under a bus and focus on their mutliplayer side come January.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/318350-cd-projekt-red-denies-any-plan-to-offer-refunds-for-cyberpunk-2077

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Same with the corpo

I think they could do something really creative with the multyplayer and further explore those roles. I don't know if they will thought. How far will $60 go?

Blazer wrote: »
    So apparently CDPR have walked back on offering any refund outside of what Sony/Microsoft offer by default.
    That's a shocking walkback from a company which many gamers including myself supported saying they would fix this as shown by previous support to the gaming community.
    Now I think they'll throw the last gen gamers under a bus and focus on their mutliplayer side come January.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/318350-cd-projekt-red-denies-any-plan-to-offer-refunds-for-cyberpunk-2077

I don't think there's such a thing as a virtuous/benevolent AAA games company. People thought it was CDPR. Now we know the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I think they could do something really creative with the multyplayer and further explore those roles. I don't know if they will thought. How far will $60 go?

I'd rather put my head in a blender than attempt the multiplayer on the PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd rather put my head in a blender than attempt the multiplayer on the PS4 Pro.

The multiplayer is a completely separate project and I doubt it will be out anytime in the next 18 months.

There is no way it is coming out on PS4.

I think it might be more a case of an incomplete open world. All these ideas that never got fully implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

It's more I just find that type of open world a complete waste of my time. It's just something that gets in my way when going from mission to mission. All it does is pad out the length of the game with sections that just aren't any fun. If you cut out the open world you probably wouldn't be missing out on anything.

On the other hand games like BotW, Spiderman etc. traversing the open world is the whole gameplay loop and as a result it doesn't feel like your time is wasted. It's actually fun to do and as a result the open world doesn't feel like an obstacle between you having some actual fun.

Have you played it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I really don't see the point in the open worlds in these types of games.
    I agree with you to a point, but i do like like the open worlds in terms of role playing.
    When I play cyberpunk, red dead redemption or GTA i never use fast travel, I never run (except for combat encounters or narrative sections where your character 'should' be running) because I like to put myself into the head space of that character in that world. I like soaking in the atmosphere and ambiance. I loved red dead redemption 2 because of the long traversal between objectives and I liked the idea of being that character travelling across those distances, riding over mountains, through valleys, forests etc and thinking about recent story beats, characters etc.
    One of my favourite things about this game is driving in from the badlands and seeing the megabuildings and dense architecture approaching and eventually swallowing you up. Sure it's surface level, but it allows me to have a deeper appreciation for the narrative/world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't think there's such a thing as a virtuous/benevolent AAA games company. People thought it was CDPR. Now we know the truth.

There's no need for such company. All they need to be is fair and respect the customers, not for us, but for them, to get our repeat custom and roll in our cash.
    And us customers really need to learn our lesson and stop preordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

As much good as CDPR did with TW3 and GOG, their actions in promoting this game have been extremely questionable for years now. T

Advertisement