Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Am I so out of touch that a company mandating staff to work six-day weeks is not a great look?

No. It’s the journalist who is wrong.

from what i've read of the big money gaming development industry, working crazy hours and to mad deadlines is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Leaked physical map
    PTx5lel.jpg

And postcards
    BTiKzNj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Really like that map, it's not too big which will help the city feel really dense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Markitron wrote: »
    Really like that map, it's not too big which will help the city feel really dense.

hopefully a lot of verticality.

froog wrote: »
    hopefully a lot of verticality.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope that's not the entire map.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hope it is the entire map :) Open worlds have become so sprawling that it’s hard to get to know the spaces in the same way you can in more focused games, or even early open world games. Personally I always feel my connection with the world is far stronger when I can really get to know the streets, the spaces etc...

While I got to know some spaces fairly well in Witcher 3, others kinda whizzed by due to the sheer size of the map. Whereas in something like Outer Wilds - a fairly big game! - I got to know every route and path pretty damn well. There’s a nice middle ground between those two games for really big games, so hope this finds that balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

It looks big enough and dense - the map in Witcher 3 may be bigger, but there is a lot of empty space, and a lot of filler activities like cleanup this small settlement, cleanup this nest and so on. I'd rather have again open world games that doesn't require fast travel to be able to play them other than 10% game time 90% travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wonder what's going on in the bottom left of the map

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I wonder what's going on in the bottom left of the map

My guess is its a load of solar panels that power the city or something.

Edit: Yep solar panels

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-05-heres-the-full-map-of-cyberpunk-2077s-night-city

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-05-heres-the-full-map-of-cyberpunk-2077s-night-city

Nice.

jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think the map size is great considering it's a dense/concentrated, living and breathing city. Other games have huge open expanses in between varying size settlements or notable locations and usually require fast travel to be tolerable.

Which is great too, but this is a very different kind of open world experience. Looking forward to getting to explore and familiarize myself with a huge and richly detailed virtual city almost as you'd do in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

He who controls the solar panels controls the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smitt

Hello everyone. I am new here. I like games and I am a big fan of Cyberpunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nice.

jpg

Near the bottom right that looks like concentrated solar, either incinerator or power. As this is fake California then I'd say power.

Seen in the official site that the bottom left is the BIOTECHNICA FARMS, so a load of green houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He who controls the solar panels controls the world.

Not when you can just go buy an off the shelf, factory made, nuclear reactor. And it will even work at night.

Actually California is the number one agricultural state, and that's by almost twice as much as the second place:https://beef2live.com/story-states-produce-food-value-0-107252

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd much prefer quality concentrated into a well designed map rather than a sprawl.

There's a reason Vice City is better than San Andreas.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd much prefer quality concentrated into a well designed map rather than a sprawl.

There's a reason Vice City is better than San Andreas.

Vice City was awesome but San Andreas map was epic traveling from ghetto to mountains to san fran to vegas, just class.

Any time a game claims 'biggest map ever' throws up a red flag. Fallout 4 did that and that was a shyte map. Companies love being able to say they have the biggest map but don't flesh it out. I'm all for smaller concentrated ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 never claimed to be the biggest map? In fact I think its smaller than its own predecessors, just a bit more dense. Thought it was a great world map myself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 never claimed to be the biggest map? In fact I think its smaller than its own predecessors, just a bit more dense. Thought it was a great world map myself to be honest.

Biggest game map is No Man's Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s hard to gauge off these, but the map size will invariably be grand. Every time a big open world game comes out there’s some worry that the map is too small but it never is. Much worse for it to be too bug with large empty spaces just for the sake of it.

Biggest game map is No Man's Sky
    And Skyrim is just a tad bigger than Mafia 1. I played them both recently and I would have never guessed that.

Yea I never had a problem with the maps or layouts in Bethesda's games, they were always just right, more or less.

Come to think of it, it is mostly just Ubisoft that have been ****ing up open-world maps. They have no idea how to use space effectively. They have large maps, which by itself is fine, but they don't have the balls to let an open space be empty. If they could resist the urge to fill their maps up with filler nonsense, they would be a lot better.

Witcher 3 had the same issue with filler locations, especially those smuggler caches in the Skellige.

Cordell wrote: »
    Witcher 3 had the same issue with filler locations, especially those smuggler caches in the Skellige.

TW3 used its space a whole lot better than AC though, yes there were your standard copy and paste caches/nests/bandit camps etc, but there was always a great chance you would stumble upon an interesting side quest or treasure hunt. There were so many random places in the game that also told an interesting story through the environment, when you went through a ruined castle you could almost piece together whatever horrible thing happened there.

On top of all this, the world was more vibrant and alive than your average AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

assassin creed odyssey is just infuriatingly large with galloping back and forth, ubisoft just dont do exploring well now filler they can do in abundance. its why i stopped odyssey i just didnt care anymore

recyclops wrote: »
    assassin creed odyssey is just infuriatingly large with galloping back and forth, ubisoft just dont do exploring well now filler they can do in abundance. its why i stopped odyssey i just didnt care anymore

Odyssey needed less side content and more time spent on the main questlines. I enjoyed the game but the actual mission design was horribly repetitive. It was basically 'go here, talk to this person, kill a bunch of people' or 'go here, kill a bunch of people, talk to this person'. Every now and again, if you were lucky, they would mix it up with 'kill a bunch of people, talk to this person, go here'.

I appreciate the fact that they tried to make exploring more interesting by not telling you exactly where to go, but then they ruined that by having a gigantic text box telling you to switch to your eagle to put a waypoint showing you exactly where to go

• Advertisement
Advertisement