Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not the satnav fault when you ask for the scenic route. These games are like that, this is what people expect when they buy it, this is what they get: a journey towards an important goal, but littered with side quests, exploring, looting and leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cordell wrote: »
    It's not the satnav fault when you ask for the scenic route. These games are like that, this is what people expect when they buy it, this is what they get: a journey towards an important goal, but littered with side quests, exploring, looting and leisure.

Again, there's a difference between side quests, and significant padding of main quests. Everything required to find Dandelion in Novigrad, as well presented and varied as a lot of it was, was painful by the end. Many parts of it could have been separated into side quests.

And that's my hopes for Cyberpunk. Hopefully a great, deep story... but given the availablity of side quests, expolartion etc, leave anything unnecessary to the story as side quests.

So you want them to create what will essentially be a speedrun path in a game that is not meant to be played fast.

So you want them to create what will essentially be a speedrun path in a game that is not meant to be played fast.

No, because that's going from one extreme to another. There's a wide middle ground between the two. All I'm saying is that there were some bits in the main missions where instead of "To find this guy you must do X, Y and Z", where each of those also includes multiple parts, travelling to different locations etc, a few of the Z's could have been separated into side quests. That's all.

Yeah, maybe, but it's a delicate balance and there is none that will make everyone happy, so we need to trust them to get it right :) For me, they got it right in Witcher 3 but then again I tend to do all side quests presented to me ...

• Advertisement

Yeah, maybe, but it's a delicate balance and there is none that will make everyone happy, so we need to trust them to get it right :) For me, they got it right in Witcher 3 but then again I tend to do all side quests presented to me ...

Yeah me too, and I did do a lot of the side quests in TW3 regardless (because they were mostly excellent). I just felt for the main story even when trying to focus and push forward on the story it could feel like I was making no progression a lot of the time, especially in Novigrad just running up and down the same streets all the time. Once Skellige opened up I felt the story started to become more focused again.

hmmm interesting. I never felt that way at all. In fact, the Witcher 3 is one of the few games where its length seems entirely justified and not just padded with useless filler. If anything, the third act is rather rushed. I also enjoyed the Novigrad arc .

I can't remember exactly which missions annoyed me, but in terms of story trying to find Dandelion just felt like having to meet so many different characters, sort out their problems, then they lead you to someone else, you sort out their problem, then someone else... Every mission you felt would end with you finding Dandelion ended up as just a clue to the next step to try find him. There were just a few too many unnecessary steps where some of the missions or parts of missions could have been pulled out to be side missions. Especially doing the play, which I know there were story reasons for, but that should have been done differently and have the play be a series of side missions. I started getting really frustrated at that point.

It's not that the content was useless filler, it just felt like some of it shouldn't have been in the main mission tree. It took so goddamn long to find Dandelion that I resented even seeing his card in Gwent :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having recently finally got around to finishing the Witcher 3’s main campaign, I’d absolutely agree much of mission design leaves a lot to be desired in actual gameplay terms. Very large swathes of the game - in particular extended Novigrad sequences - just have you running back and forth, using the fairly boring investigation / Witcher sense mode to follow footsteps or the like, and then having a fight at the end.

None of this to say it’s a bad game or anything like that - the world is stunningly convincing (still one of the prettiest games around), the characters interesting, the situations often fascinating, the exploration rewards often cool, Gwent a delight, and the subplots often immensely worthwhile. But I do feel many of the nuts and bolts of the game - whether that’s the somewhat bland combat or repetitive mission design - leave something to be desired. I liked the game a lot and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it still, but it’s a game with plenty of rough edges alongside the often immaculate polish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GodsHelix

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Not a surprise, but still good to read.

Didn't know about that, but that's awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

No idea why they even bothered with multiplayer.

For micro transactions apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Really looking forward to this because cd project red but every time I see a gameplay clip, I'm deflated that it's an fps

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Preordered this morning from smyths for 60 and noticed it's 55 to collect in store. What an absolute bargain.

Saying that, wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

When is this due to drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

When is this due to drop?

19th Nov, same day as PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Preordered this morning from smyths for 60 and noticed it's 55 to collect in store. What an absolute bargain.

Saying that, wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed again.

Great spot, just did the same. Wonder if it be manic picking it up from store same day as ps5 released tho?

• Advertisement

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Great spot, just did the same. Wonder if it be manic picking it up from store same day as ps5 released tho?

I'm gonna try stroll in around 11-11.30, pick up both. Hoping I beat the people waiting for the store to open and the people heading at lunch. Go home with my shiny new PS5 and play a PS4 game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'll be playing this on my Cyberpunk 2077 One X :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ordered 3080 today kinda want to see the requirements now so I can say "pffffft puny specs"

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ordered 3080 today kinda want to see the requirements now so I can say "pffffft puny specs"

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1306669881505411073?s=19

She will only show up in the Nomad life path

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

She will only show up in the Nomad life path

Bogan life path

Honestly these guest roles are never good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Obviously I can Google, but uhhh, who is she? Someone relatively "famous" I'm presuming? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

pixelburp wrote: »
    Obviously I can Google, but uhhh, who is she? Someone relatively "famous" I'm presuming? :)

Same question, it would have taken less effort to Google than it was to type this post but I realised I don't really care....

• Advertisement
Advertisement