Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,307 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, never let it be said there wasn't a molehill gamers couldn't turn into a mountain ;)

Firstly, it's just a theory, based on a known quantity in Poland and its active and very public anti-blasphemy laws. Second, even if it is true, they don't owe anyone an explanation to step back from a creative decision, on a totally ancillary aspect, of an already sprawling game.

Not wanting to cause offence, and bringing the inevitable - if ironic, given how you're receiving it - outrage upon their house, seems like a prudent & sensible decision. If they don't feel like they can tackle the subject deftly enough, it likely ain't worth the hassle.

It also very much seems like all they're saying is religion will be included/mentioned in the game, but not in a positive or negative way, hence not causing offence. How the player chooses to incorporate it into their game is up to them and if they choose to do something offensive regarding religion in the game, that's their choice rather than something designed into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Firstly, it's just a theory
    Yeah, yours.
    Second, even if it is true, they don't owe anyone an explanation
    And yet they gave one. And it's not your theory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, yours.

Obviously. And I never said they didn't. CD Projekt Red are backing off from something not worth the hassle; their country's blasphemy laws may have influenced the decision, what with it being in the news "recently".

There's always something to be outraged with this game, isn't there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

It's a pretty big jump to make and although not an impossbility they've folded like a cheap suit in other instances that had nothing to do with law. This is more like avoiding controversy than appeasing their country's laws. They get tax benefits or some kind of welfare last I checked just because they're such a stand-up company (a benefit other studios in Poland don't get and therefore creates uneven competition). I doubt their country would follow through with any kind of prosecution.
    Why shouldn't they? Why hide it? It's not illegal to say you're going to operate within your country's laws.

They could say it in other ways and still be clear about the reason. But since they've only said that they just don't want to offend anyone (an impossible task with this topic) then then I'm going to believe that's the reason.

Portray X religion negatively: Members offended
    Portray X religion positively: Non believers and rival religions offended
    Portray X religion as neutral: Offended anyway + criticised for not tackling the subject honestly.
    I am cruious to see what www.christcenteredgamer.com will make of it upon release. Although being able to mix male/female attributes, hire prostitutes and see nudity will make it quite unpopular in Islamic regions I suspect, for the ones where it's not outright banned that is. It's a lose-lose trying to please everyone.

I really don't get why you care so much. It looks like a great game that's going to be fun to play. Stop chomping down on those red pills buddy!

Yeah, yours.

You're acting as though the default is to include religion in a way that will purposefully offend people, and CDPR are going against that by taking it out. Rather than the more likely case that they decided to include religion but just in an inoffensive way.

• Advertisement

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I really don't get why you care so much.
    I mostly like the studio and think the game would be better served if they didn't try to please everyone; that always ends up a disaster in either gameplay or story. Self-censorship and controversy avoidance simply don't work in mediums these days. Best to just go really out there and make the the thing they want to make. I've been worried about them toning things down from the beginning. I still find it hard to believe there's going to be full frontal nudity in the character creator... at least on on consoles or for most countries anyway. GOG & Steam release in Ireland will probably be ok unless they neutralise it globally and on all platforms like they did graphics for Witcher 3.
    It looks like a great game that's going to be fun to play
    I certainly hope so. Based on what we know I very much doubt it'll be bad. To be honest the thing I'm worried about most is the hardware requirements. Games are so bloated these days and I really don't want to spend money on upgrading and since it's targeted mainly for 8th gen consoles I really shouldn't have to.
    Stop chomping down on those red pills buddy!
    But they're so delicious :D
    Penn wrote: »
    include religion but just in an inoffensive way.
    As I said earlier that's not really possible. If they include churches and mosques and you can open fire in them: offended. If they disable attacking in such places people will be upset by that restriction too. If the factions have flaws, hypocrisy or can be sided for/against, it doesn't really matter if it's player choice... heavily religious folk will not be happy about it.

As I said earlier that's not really possible. If they include churches and mosques and you can open fire in them: offended. If they disable attacking in such places people will be upset by that restriction too. If the factions have flaws, hypocrisy or can be sided for/against, it doesn't really matter if it's player choice... heavily religious folk will not be happy about it.

And so long as all religions are treated equally and religion itself isn't treated as more or less favourable, then who gives a sh*t if heavily religious folk are offended by it? Some people will be offended by something regardless. What CDPR made clear in their clarification is that religion will be included, but in a "religion exists" way and neither negatively or positively, and how the players choose to interact with that is their own choice.

The alternative is to not feature religion at all, and people would therefore be offended that they cut religion from the game because they were afraid to offend people.

The only solution is; the developers make the game how they want. If that means they choose to not feature something so as to not offend, fine. If they choose to feature something but in a way they hope doesn't offend, fine. If they choose to feature something which purposefully offends, fine.

They have to deal with or ignore whatever criticism comes their way because of those decisions. But "They're going to go as soft as possible on the religion topic so not to offend anyone? Really unafraid of the controversy there, lads." is just nonsense.

And so long as all religions are treated equally and religion itself isn't treated as more or less favourable, then who gives a sh*t if heavily religious folk are offended by it?
    CDPR
    The only solution is; the developers make the game how they want. If that means they choose to not feature something so as to not offend, fine. If they choose to feature something but in a way they hope doesn't offend, fine. If they choose to feature something which purposefully offends, fine.
    That's not all the options. Here's a 4th one:
    Feature something that they want and know will offend, but is not purposely there to offend - and still go through with it because who the F cares.

CDPR
    That's not all the options. Here's a 4th one:
    Feature something that they want and know will offend, but is not purposely there to offend - and still go through with it because who the F cares.

Again, also a valid option. So what's wrong with what they've chosen to do?

Nothin'. I just think it's a luke-warm attitude to have after being all confident that they're facing tough topics. If this was the only thing I thought they'd be handling with kid gloves I'd not have said anything. But as I mentioned earlier I think the whole company is having a crisis with trying to stay out of controversy. They really can't though. The Postal screenshot pretty much marked them for death by mainstream outlets.

Edit: Just wanted to bring this to shift gears: this video and channel are great for CP77 news

Oh and SPOILER ALERT since apparently that's a concern for some.
    The coolest thing about this:
    If you are in an isolated area, it’s comparable to the witcher in that if you chop the head off a villager in the middle of nowehere, guards wont just magically show up.
    I don't know about anyone else but magically spawning police and witnesses are a huge deal breaker for me in video games (I stopped playing GTA, specficially 5 for this reason). This is fantastic news for me.
    Difficulty settings were also something mention by Liu where he speaks on the fact that there will be multiple difficulty settings, and that there is a hardcore mode where the UI is turned off, which will be a real challenge. They also want to make the game accessible to those who aren’t accustomed to shooters with smart weapons which help you aim.
    Hardcore mode is it! I know they got some CSGO players to help with shooting right? Still can't help but think it'll be weak because of it being primarily targeted to people playing with a pad though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A guy on Reddit has shared/translated bits and bobs from a 10-page Cyberpunk article in a Polish PlayStation magazine. Nothing too new, but some of us are desperate for any news... For example, the game will have NG+ at some point. Linkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A software studio reknowned for original honest and beautifully crafted choice based RPGs taking an insane amount of flak over how it deals with the choices that are the foundation of all of those aspects... Just...don't buy it. The rest of us will.
    Every argument above about how they treat religion, just stop. I have no problems with faith, I don't have it but will not argue with it when someone won't see what I think is plain logic. It is what it is. And there is no middle ground for the vast majority of those within it. There is no way a game can include religion and beyond treating as a generic trait some features require or share and not insult the majority from the other non-mentioned or related religions. Besides common sense there have been enough brainwave level tests to show the most hardcore on any side show simple inflexible thought patterns. It's not whether any one skymonster wins, it's that the most rabid supporters do not engage reason. Faith, respect, blind adherence to dogma?... play something else, you're entitled to, but you don't have anything to teach in your arguments beyond senseless rigiddity. Vote with your dollar/euro/stuff, not indignance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will we get another gameplay vid at gamescon I wonder?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Reddit says PAX is most likely.

Ahhh damnit, was that where the one hour gameplay footage came from last year?

Yeah PAX West will have the gameplay footage from E3 2019. I'd say people at Gamescom are being shown bits of the same footage of it behind closed curtains.

video below of the Cyberpunk queue which was absolutely mobbed and the ubisoft queue beside it with not a soul.

https://twitter.com/Lufti94/status/1163712339545341952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I thought they had already confirmed they were gonna release the 2019 E3 demo footage during or just after gamescom?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay live stream set for August 30

Featuring a 15-minute edit of what is being shown at Gamescom 2019"

Gematsu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

did they ever show what was shown behind closed doors at this years e3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Livestream tonight at 7pm our time. 30 minutes of footage mentioned. Will be on CDProjects twitch https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Wish I could catch it live but might not have wifi at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/08/30/cd-projekt-red-brands-itself-dual-franchise-studio-with-the-witcher-and-cyberpunk-2077

CD Projekt Red splitting their developers between The Withcer and Cyberpunk, looks like there will be more games to come for both of there

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

The more i see of this the more i think its massively over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Have to say not overly impressed by that , it did look worse than the last trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's just a rehash of a demo that was shown to a select few. Think they promised to make it public eventually. Nothing new for anyone following the game closely.

Can't say I'm a fan of the 'hack the furniture' game elements or even hacking in general. Hacked a sentry minigun in a Deus Ex game, mowed down some guards. Was nice, and... never wanted to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, hacking builds do nothing for me. Melee all the way.

Advertisement