Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, very very generic but a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Growlanser and Gungnir are finally at a more sensible price (€14.99) on PSN for their E3 sale. No discount for PS+ members on these though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

penev10 wrote: »
    Growlanser and Gungnir are finally at a more sensible price (€14.99) on PSN for their E3 sale. No discount for PS+ members on these though.

Is that for each or for both?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atlus's parent company is under investigation for fraud. Hope it doesn't mean bad things for Atlus but so far they have been left to their own devices.

Is that for each or for both?

Each unfortunately. They were €30 each before that which is a ridiculous price for last-gen handheld titles (Growlanser is 10 years old!)

• Advertisement

Each unfortunately. They were €30 each before that which is a ridiculous price for last-gen handheld titles (Growlanser is 10 years old!)

It's not, it only came out last year.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not, it only came out last year.
    On PSP but it's a conversion of an older PS2 game.

On PSP but it's a conversion of an older PS2 game.

I suppose so but it never got a release in the West. Atlus usually don't drop their game prices for over a year anyway, I was expecting it to be that price for longer.

I bought it boxed and it remains unplayed :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tales of Xillia - E3 2013 Combat Gameplay

• Advertisement

I bought it boxed and it remains unplayed :pac:
    The very reason I'm resisting splurging €14.99 on it!:P I have a ton of handheld RPGs jostling for position as it is.

Have only finished Persona 3 and Fire Emblem: Awakening bust it's way to the top of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

The very reason I'm resisting splurging €14.99 on it!:P I have a ton of handheld RPGs jostling for position as it is.

Have only finished Persona 3 and Fire Emblem: Awakening bust it's way to the top of the queue.

I'm about the same as that, stack of handheld rpgs to cut through. They seem to stack up real quickly. :D

Couple of console ones too, tbh..... One downside of favouring games that are generally lengthy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Not going to start a new thread just for this, got this email from Square Enix:
    Welcome to the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test!

Please find your Beta registration and PlayStation®3 Promotion codes below: Beta Registration Code
    **** **** **** **** **** For instructions on how to register your Beta registration code please click here. PlayStation®3 Promotion Code
    ****-****-**** Instructions for using Promotion Code:
    Step 1: Connect the PlayStation®3 system to a broadband connection
    Step 2: Sign in to your Sony Entertainment Network account on PlayStation®3
    If you do not have an SEN account, please register for one (more information on www.playstation.com)
    Step 3: Choose Account Management>Redeem Codes
    Step 4: Select Redeem Promotion Code - this brings up a screen to enter the code you have received
    Step 5: Enter code and follow the steps on screen to redeem content
    *Terms and conditions apply. Please visit http://eu.playstation.com/terms/promotioncodes to view full PlayStation®Network Voucher Codes terms and conditions.

Details on how to install the Beta on your PlayStation®3 console can be found here.

After registering your code you can log in to the test forums here.

Thank you for helping to make FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn the best game it can be! www.finalfantasyxiv.com

I've no interest in it now, so a regular crontributor from this forum or the Playstation forum is welcome to it.

Reply here if you want it - I will send code via PM.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Not going to start a new thread just for this, got this email from Square Enix:

I've no interest in it now, so a regular crontributor from this forum or the Playstation forum is welcome to it.

Reply here if you want it - I will send code via PM.

I'll take it off ya.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'll take it off ya.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

So I beat Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 at just over 49 hours. Party was abyss diver, grim rider, and a dark slime as my healer. Grim rider and dark slime both died, next turn abyss diver killed the boss.

I own all the DQ monsters titles that got western releases and can't wait to dig into them. DQ mixed with pokemon, it has to be all good.

Heard there's a substantial amount of post game content as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

DQMJ2 is fantastic, proper quality game.

Surprised there isn't a great more hopping on the Pokemon style bandwagon really(actually, was Dragon Quest V before Pokemon?) I know there's a few(nothing in Pokemon/DQM's class though), but with the immense popularity of Pokemon, I'd have thought it would have become a much more common game style.

Yep DQV was before Pokemon and before that you had Megami Tensei.

Potentially bad news for us. Atlus's parent company filed for bankruptcy. Hopefully Atlus come out of it ok, I'm sure they will considering they were the only profitable entity of Index.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

On the Atlus topic, while playing through P3P for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to find one Vincent Brooks drinking away in the club, talking about is women and nightmare problems!

Potentially bad news for us. Atlus's parent company filed for bankruptcy. Hopefully Atlus come out of it ok, I'm sure they will considering they were the only profitable entity of Index.

Noooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thought i'd mention that steam has Final Fantasy VII available now for €13
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/11030/

i know it's been around for a while on the square site, but it's far handier to have it on steam.

I'd still go for the PS1 version. It's a pretty crappy port with horrible midi music.

Had a bit of a heartattack yesterday due to SMT Strange Journey. Been stuck on a boss for the last few days. So I spent it formulating a plan of attack and final beat him on the train home yesterday. My battery then decides t would be a good time to start dying during the cutscenes afterwards before I could save. Thankfully the battery lasted in sleep mode while I ran home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I'd still go for the PS1 version. It's a pretty crappy port with horrible midi music.

Had a bit of a heartattack yesterday due to SMT Strange Journey. Been stuck on a boss for the last few days. So I spent it formulating a plan of attack and final beat him on the train home yesterday. My battery then decides t would be a good time to start dying during the cutscenes afterwards before I could save. Thankfully the battery lasted in sleep mode while I ran home :)

Did you get to see all of your hard earned cut scene?

Also yes the PC port of FFVII is awful...this game was known for its epic CG cut scenes back in the day and they butcher it up on the PC port. Square deserve no money for this weird PC download of an old game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Especially since it's cheaper on the PSN. they also do regular enough sales. I got all the PSN FF games for a fiver each a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The music is extremely easy to fix. There are different versions of the PC soundtrack, the steam/Square store version just happens to have the worst version. The MT-32 soundtrack is pretty special imo, better even than the PS1 original. I suspect though most people will prefer the PS version for nostalgia reasons.

The cloud saving is an absolute mess but that's the only major problem. The CG cutscenes are fine, they're not butchered at all. They just don't look good on a HD screen because their original resolution is 320x240, which is about equal to the res you'd get on a mobile phone these days.

I'd rather play the PC version over the European PSN version, at least it runs at the proper speed.

I did see my hard earned cutscenes, it was worth it :) The story is just getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

What part are you at retr0? I hit a wall near enough to the end, 2nd last world I think. Definitely do-able but ended up switching to P4 Golden. Soul Hackers is next but might get a chance to go back to Strange Journey before that. I'll inevitably drop everything later this month when SMT4 arrives.

• Advertisement

I'm on the sixth area, think there are 7 and a 8th optional one.

The fifth area boss was where I was stuff. His first form was difficult enough. One of those asshole bosses that kept healing every round so you had to keep your damage output up. You have to fight him again a bit later and despite not healing every round he was even worse. He had a physical attack that could near wipe out my party in one and even worse an attack that did a random status to all party members. He came down to a bit of luck since he can sometimes do those attacks 3-4 times in a row and if you get hit with stone as the random status effect it's instant game over. He probably wouldn't have been so hard if I hadn't used all by bead chains on the previous encounter.

A bit of luck and the right demon combination and I got through him. Stat buffs/debuffs really are incredibly important in this game for bosses. This prick had a move that nullified them though so it was important to get them back up quick.

Apparently he's the big stumbling block for most people.

Advertisement