Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah vesperia.....I never finished it........got stuck on some stupid bat boss :mad: dunno if this was mentioned in here but tales of xillia 2 is coming to europe in 2014 :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

megaten wrote: »
    I still haven't beaten vesperia yet. I think I'm on the second to last dungeon. I think I'll wait for reviews on Xillia since initial reports suggested it felt unfinished and that you need to play as the male character first to understand what's happening completely.

I'll second that last point. Although I was playing the Japanese version, and my Japanese is shockingly bad, I felt more in control with the story as the male character. Still a nice game though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've only finished Symphonia, still not played any of the others for more than 30 minutes :) I'll be getting it down the line too much other stuff out and have to pick up Atelier Ayesha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-16-etrian-odyssey-4-legends-of-the-titan-out-in-europe-soon

Etrian Odyssy IV is finally coming out here finally. No idea if I'll buy it though since the new one coming out that has a story mode is way more interesting to me. I guess I'll play the demo anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should definitely get IV. The newer one is a remake of the first game while IV is far more expansive. Also you are tied into character classes in story mode in the new one, part of what makes EO so good is character building. In fact I've heard the mode in the new game that doesn't have a story is far better.

I finished EO recently and I can honestly say it's one of the best games I've ever played. EO IV is meant to be the best in the series. You'd be silly not to get it. Anyway the EO games have pretty decent stories anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll definitely be getting the demo anyways. I was under the impression that EO games had no story at all. I enjoy the gameplay of dungeon crawling but I still need some sort of story to string me around especially if the characters have no personalities.

There's definitely a story there. Honestly you won't miss the story, the EO games are just so much fun. The map system is such a genius idea. It makes your journey through the dungeons so much more personal. You're map is basically your own story through the labyrinth.

I've never played a game that has dungeon crawling as well as EO. Itreally modernises it while still keeping a decent challenge so it never gets boring.

Just remember to pack warp wire to get your ass out of the labyrinth once resources run low! Pack two in case you forget to buy some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Shin Megami Tensei IV arrived at work today, just have to finish off P4G and then have to decide what my next SMT hit is:
    1. Finish off Strange Journey (maybe 5 hours of game time left, but god knows how much actual time)
    2. Finish off Devil Survivor 1 (I'm backed into such a corner in this that it might be simpler to just start over)
    3. Devil Survivor 2
    4. Continue with Persona 2:Innocent Sin
    5. Soul Hackers
    6. SMT IV

Any suggestions? Also have all 4 EO games in my backlog, as well as countless other DS/PSP RPGs but they'll be waiting a while yet to be played by the looks of things.

I'm the same as you. Waiting on SMTIV to arrive and need to finish up Strange Journey.

Strange Journey is longer than you think. The dungeon I'm in at the moment is a maze. Well designed but my god I've been in it ages figuring it out :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's doing to happen if Nintendo buy Atlus? (rumours going around they may well do so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

What's doing to happen if Nintendo buy Atlus? (rumours going around they may well do so).
    Persona 5: Mario.

I think that was just an opinion piece that was picked up as news by other sites.

Might be some truth in it. Nintendo are pushing SMT IV very hard. It would be a good fit to be honest and they've always had a good relationship with nintendo.

In other news Kat Bailey wrote an article on how great SMT Strange Journey is. I have to agree now that I'm coming up to the last boss:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/before-shin-megami-tensei-iv-there-was-strange-journey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

SOOOOOOO close to getting herself to start a new FF to play. So close!

And in random news, I interviewed a potential au pair the other day and she mentioned her favourite game of all time is FFX. She has made the shortlist :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It looks good but I think I'll wait till I own a vita to get it.

More interested in the PS3 version for the local multiplayer.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More interested in the PS3 version for the local multiplayer.

was thinking the same,dont think vita has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Has there been any footage confirmed as being form the Vita version? as they've said the graphics will be scaled down. Also I'm not sure the smaller screen will do it justice. PS3 version for me I reckon

PS Vita screen is high res enough. Also it has the advantage of being OLED meaning it has better colour and black levels than anything HD screen you can find that isn't Plasma. I'm kind of tempted by the Vita version for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS Vita screen is high res enough. Also it has the advantage of being OLED meaning it has better colour and black levels than anything HD screen you can find that isn't Plasma. I'm kind of tempted by the Vita version for that reason.
    It's a smashing screen, don't get me wrong, but the developers said at E3 that they were showing the PS3 version and that the Vita version wouldn't look the same so I'm just concerned it mightn't be as pretty. And it's a mighty pretty game!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some nice stuff on sale for the Vita/PSP on PSN at the moment - just got Persona 3 and Valkyria II for less than 20 euro combined.

Is the tales of symphonia remake for ps3 coming to europe this year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

penev10 wrote: »
    It's a smashing screen, don't get me wrong, but the developers said at E3 that they were showing the PS3 version and that the Vita version wouldn't look the same so I'm just concerned it mightn't be as pretty. And it's a mighty pretty game!

While they don't mention how it looks...
    The PS3 and Vita versions of Dragon's Crown offer similar experiences, but they aren't identical. The Vita's touch screen allows you to tap on the environment to open doors, chests, and find score-enhancing treasures, whereas the PS3 has you guiding a cursor with an analog stick to perform the actions. However, the PS3 handles the action better; noticeable slowdown occurs on the Vita when players and enemies are firing off lots of spells and special attacks, but the PS3 handles it more smoothly. For those trying to choose between systems, those are the main points to consider, along with the fact that the game has no cross-play support (but you can transfer saves between versions), so you and your friends should make sure you coordinate and pick up the same one.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragons_crown/b/ps3/archive/2013/08/06/a-massive-adventure-fueled-by-nostalgia.aspx

The Etrian Odyssey demo is out on the eshop now in case anyone is wondering.

EDIT: Only 3 uses! that's ridiculous.

Three?! That's a joke.

I'm enjoying the etrian Odyssey demo quite a bit. Its pretty difficult but its so faced paced I don't really mind.

You's all need to get EO4. The serious is amazing.

Downloaded the EO demo, very nice game, love that you get to build the parties as you like right off the bat. Don't like that I have only two goes of the demo left.

Should have bought the DS ones when I had the chance, might Ebay them.

• Advertisement

They got reprinted recently so there should be a few copies available from the US. Playasia might still have them.

Advertisement