Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revenge of the Post Here When You Get Something New thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OaAbc.jpg

Boxed stick on its way to me now.

I have some nice Sanwa buttons I'll be throwing in, too (and maybe make it Xbox 360-compat).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

waveform wrote: »
    You'll trick me by posting pics of Retro wearing them, to counter my cheekiness!
    no sure, why would I do that?
    24w4ra8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw those VF sticks going for small money, just not enough buttons!
    There are only three main buttons, so fine if all you are going to play are retro arcade games and Virtua Fighter, but pants for everything else.
    But then, you are going a-drillin', are you going to make the 5 main buttons the same size?
    Re-mount one of the smaller upper face buttons onto the main surface there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I spent all my money on Neo Geo stuff, Terry Pratchett books and Crunchies.

I see he has a couple of new books on the way, Dodger which is non-Discworld and about the character from Oliver Twist, The Long Earth, a SF collaboration from Terry and Stephen "I wish I could still write decent books" Baxter, also non-Discworld.
    On a brighter note, he is publishing "The World Of Poo", a book from within another book, more precisely the brilliant "Snuff", and all about Poo and it's applications and types.
    Only the latter seems like essential reading.
    I also have Where's My Cow, another book within a book, this time a book Vimes must read to his son throughout his adventures.
    I also have the large fomat of Eric, a beautifully illustrated Rincewind story, full of Josh Kirby paintings, may he rest in piece.
    I do love Discworld.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I see he has a couple of new books on the way, Dodger which is non-Discworld and about the character from Oliver Twist, The Long Earth, a SF collaboration from Terry and Stephen "I wish I could still write decent books" Baxter, also non-Discworld.
    On a brighter note, he is publishing "The World Of Poo", a book from within another book, more precisely the brilliant "Snuff", and all about Poo and it's applications and types.
    Only the latter seems like essential reading.
    I also have Where's My Cow, another book within a book, this time a book Vimes must read to his son throughout his adventures.
    I also have the large fomat of Eric, a beautifully illustrated Rincewind story, full of Josh Kirby paintings, may he rest in piece.
    I do love Discworld.....

Ah wasn't enamoured with "Snuff" and Unseen Academicals" also was an okay Pratchett book. The good thing about them though is that an okay discworld novel is still an excellent book in comparison to 99% of other books.

Last one of his books I got was "Strata" one of his first and written before any discworld novels. First edition bookclub, alas not a true first edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Modded GameCube (with mod chip and after market case) I got the other day from EnterNow on the left and standard on the right.

dsc1687b.jpg

Not had much of a chance to play with it as I've been doing other stuff all weekend but its played every bit of [US] [NTSC] "Homebrew" I've stuck in it so far.
    Thanks again EnterNow, not many of these cases about.

I pushed a wall back 4 inches and changed the radiator this weekend which allowed me to start putting up some of that IKEA storage in the office/man cave.
    More to do next weekend but it's a start.

dsc1683bbb.jpg

Ah wasn't enamoured with "Snuff" and Unseen Academicals" also was an okay Pratchett book. The good thing about them though is that an okay discworld novel is still an excellent book in comparison to 99% of other books.

Last one of his books I got was "Strata" one of his first and written before any discworld novels. First edition bookclub, alas not a true first edition.

I've been reading him since Colour of Magic.
    Initially they were straight parodies of fantasy but, as the years drew on, they got more and more sophisticated.
    They hit the high water mark with Feet of Clay, Pyramids, Moving Pictures and so on.
    Not to say the likes of Going Postal aren't a great read, they just don't entertain like the earlier stuff did, trying too hard to give us statements on society and more and more like satires.
    Pity...
    I guess as time is running out for the poor man he might be trying to build work of weight and importance, doesn't he know the love we have for all his work??

Not to sound crass but, will there be someone to take up the mantel when he retires from writing?
    I'd hate to think my future won't have a long line of new Discworld ahead, but then we don't want a hack making books that read nothing like the originals.

Love the 'cube Steve, very nice indeed!
    Where on earth can I get something like that??
    (plots how to get his NTSC 'cube back from O1s1n!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Thanks again EnterNow, not many of these cases about.

Not a bother man, there certainly isn't many of them about...I reckon they're all but extinct...they're not made anymore so finding them was very lucky.

Also, like yourself, I was considering dremmeling a case before finding these...thank god, because it's one ugly case mod when done.

I've been reading him since Colour of Magic.
    Initially they were straight parodies of fantasy but, as the years drew on, they got more and more sophisticated.
    They hit the high water mark with Feet of Clay, Pyramids, Moving Pictures and so on.
    Not to say the likes of Going Postal aren't a great read, they just don't entertain like the earlier stuff did, trying too hard to give us statements on society and more and more like satires.
    Pity...
    I guess as time is running out for the poor man he might be trying to build work of weight and importance, doesn't he know the love we have for all his work??

Not to sound crass but, will there be someone to take up the mantel when he retires from writing?
    I'd hate to think my future won't have a long line of new Discworld ahead, but then we don't want a hack making books that read nothing like the originals.

There two to three discworld novels left. Another Moist one, another Susan one and one that's called Troll Bridge and that's it I'd say.
    I really hope there isn't any new books by other authors like all those Star Wars books. I'll be happy enough to do a a few retreads on the all the old ones to keep me going.

The Susan one is welcome and I would look forward to something about the Trolls, something about them really being super intelligent but operating at the wrong temperature, I think that came up in Moving Pictures, when Detritus was locked into the cold room.
    Another Moist book I could do without.
    And Rincewind has been under represented for years now, Sourcery was brilliant! More Wizzards now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Susan one is welcome and I would look forward to something about the Trolls, something about them really being super intelligent but operating at the wrong temperature, I think that came up in Moving Pictures, when Detritus was locked into the cold room.
    And Rincewind has been under represented for years now, Sourcery was brilliant! More Wizzards now!

The thing with the trolls cropped up a bit in Thud! , seeing as the diamond troll has no problem with heat dissapation and is basically a genius.
    Tbh I love the guards books , so the thought of no more Vimes makes me a sad panda.Mind you if the Guards TV show actually happens It'll cheer me up no end.
    I like Stephen Baxter , the Time ships is great,and the Coalescent series is pretty good, but jesus , Evolution is one of the bleakest things I have ever read.Engrossing but really really depressing.
    Oh yeah , in theory pTerry could do a Herbert and get his daughter to carry on the books , she's actually a decent enough writer (she was a reviewer for PCzone and a few other things and did the dialog for the Divinity series of games as well as the novella),and is actually quite funny , based solely on the fact I was actually on the same forum as her a few years back ,(theslate , before it imploded)which is a pretty pathetic claim to fame I guess .
    Anyway I dont think either of them would actually want to do that though , so bar the TV show I doubt Discworld will continue without TP :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Oh yeah , I picked up an RGB Dreamcast cable from a nice chap on adverts
    (yeah I know VGA is best , but I'm happy with RGB)
    curretly doing this with the Dreamcast
    20473004.jpg
    (hopefully this still says Play all the games)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Stop lending them to retr0 so! :pac:

Not sure where you'd find one. I was surprised EnterNow had one and was willing to sell it (I think he had 2 actually).
    Many a time I looked at the GameCube and then glanced across the room at my trusty Dremel and thought "Will I?, Should I?, There must be another way".

Was it not in 'Men at Arms' where Detritus was trapped in the pork futures warehouse and which beyond intelligence with numbers and had his epiphany?
    To be honest I wouldn't mind a Moist book but would really love a Wizards one.
    As Bob said the smart troll bit was done in Thud.

Not sure where you'd find one. I was surprised EnterNow had one and was willing to sell it (I think he had 2 actually).
    Many a time I looked at the GameCube and then glanced across the room at my trusty Dremel and thought "Will I?, Should I?, There must be another way".

Aye I had the opportunity to buy two of them privately after searching for AGES to find some, one for myself & one for a spare cube I had. I'm not actually sure you can get them from vendors anymore, finding these was pure chance.

It seems ages ago you could get them easy enough...but for whatever reason today they're very scarce. They're actually a damned good replica of the original case too!

I had it for sale in Console Modding, & for trade in A&R Trading Cidey, but going up against a cross between Ted DeBiase & a gameshow quickfire champion...it was gonna be a tough GET - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634629

2hh0g1v.jpg

23upljs.jpg

Was it not in 'Men at Arms' where Detritus was trapped in the pork futures warehouse and which beyond intelligence with numbers and had his epiphany?
    To be honest I wouldn't mind a Moist book but would really love a Wizards one.
    As Bob said the smart troll bit was done in Thud.

When you're right, you're right, it's been a while, must go back and read the lot in order some time, take a summer off reading other stuff to be submerged in the Octarine glow of the Discworld!
    Maybe when the sad day of Terrys passing happens I will do it to remember him :(

When you're right, you're right, it's been a while, must go back and read the lot in order some time, take a summer off reading other stuff to be submerged in the Octarine glow of the Discworld!
    Maybe when the sad day of Terrys passing happens I will do it to remember him :(

Did you see the documentary "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die" about him going to the assisted suicide place in Switzerland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett:_Choosing_to_Die

EnterNow wrote: »
    I had it for sale in Console Modding, & for trade in A&R Trading Cidey, but going up against a cross between Ted DeBiase & a gameshow quickfire champion...it was gonna be a tough GET - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634629

2hh0g1v.jpg

23upljs.jpg

These seem to be the cases, for sale from a Spanish site, a few different colours too.

Purple replacement GC Casing, for 12cm DVD/R's, looks like only 2 euro! Not sure about the shipping though linky

Also more here

• Advertisement

These seem to be the cases, for sale from a Spanish site, a few different colours too.

Purple replacement GC Casing, for 12cm DVD/R's, looks like only 2 euro! Not sure about the shipping though linky

Also more here

Same brand alright! Nice find, but €2? Surely not Jim? $35 from the US site sounds more realistic...but out of stock like most other sites :)

Might be worth popping off an email to the Spanish one to clarify the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Might be worth popping off an email to the Spanish one to clarify the price...

Shipping is €25 (if you buy two).

With shipping it comes to an altogether more sane, but still cheap, 20 euro.
    So, once I have one, what does one do with it??

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Shipping is €25 (if you buy two).

So €29 for two of them? Sounds damned reasonable...if legit I'd urge those inclined to buy some.
    With shipping it comes to an altogether more sane, but still cheap, 20 euro.
    So, once I have one, what does one do with it??

Nothing useful, you still need to buy & fit a modchip to get the benefits of the case :)

So €29 for two of them? Sounds damned reasonable...if legit I'd urge those inclined to buy some.

Nothing useful, you still need to buy & fit a modchip to get the benefits of the case :)

But I thought the extra room in the disc bay was to let the GameCube discs get more air around them and stay cooler and last longer.

So you're saying I can do other stuff :D:D

So you're saying I can do other stuff :D:D

Oh one or two bits yeah :p

Did you see the documentary "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die" about him going to the assisted suicide place in Switzerland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett:_Choosing_to_Die

He was on the late late a while back talking about it as well. Tubridy is a poor interviewer.

Tubridy is a poor interviewer.

Agreed, but he has to be careful not to upset Maire in Killybegs

I only recently read it so it's fresh in the brain and the temperature in work is at optimum levels for the memory of things. Arg@z% heating up.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but he has to be careful not to upset Maire in Killybegs

Some cringeworthy questions though considering the topic.

Multi-quote may learn that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement