Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Piliger wrote: »
    I was out working all day Saturday, and my PC was off, but I was told later that I as online all day .... you cannot trust the 'online' thing.

Plus on apps you will be 'online' 24/7 whenever you are hooked up to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

riveratom wrote: »
    Plus on apps you will be 'online' 24/7 whenever you are hooked up to the net.

I've never used on of the apps. Can you not log out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

sharper wrote: »
    It depends.

You can get a sense of people if they're a decent writer. A profile that just lists their interests tells you nothing but some are also good at projecting their sense of humour and what really drives them.

If you have some opportunity to see them interact with others then even better, the okc journals and forums used to be great for that.

Obviously you have to meet to see what's "real" about them and what's them projecting their best self but I do think a lot of people vastly overestimate their ability to size up other people after a quick meeting.

Yeah that's if they're a good writer, but what if their profile has little or no information in it? Tbh I wouldn't be too bothered with a woman's hobbies or interests - that's not what builds attraction. It's often opposites that attract anyway.

I'd be more inclined to meesage a girl based on her photos and wheather I find her attractive. I know that might sound shallow, but the rest is just words on a page which may not even be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Yeah that's if they're a good writer, but what if their profile has little or no information in it? Tbh I wouldn't be too bothered with a woman's hobbies or interests - that's not what builds attraction. It's often opposites that attract anyway.

I'd be more inclined to meesage a girl based on her photos and wheather I find her attractive. I know that might sound shallow, but the rest is just words on a page which may not even be accurate.

Photos which may not even be accurate....

Just saying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

By personality, I mean at least have a bit of humour in the profile. Like I tried to keep mine serious but lighthearted in places. I know I won't exactly be the pick when it comes to photos alone but I ma have a chance with the profile. Though not so far, so maybe I was wrong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

To me most people tend to look approximately the same. If you showed me 10 different pictures and then asked me to recount what I just saw, I'd mix up the details between them and wouldn't know which was which.

That doesn't mean I have no physical preferences - I like dark hair, I think glasses look sexy and so on.

What differentiates people to me is their personality and you're right that's more than their interests and can even be a counter indicator. I've gotten on very well with people I never would have guessed I would just that we were thrown together in random happenstance.

Sure a person's profile text might not be accurate but then their actions on a date might not be authentic nor reflective of them either.

A blank profile means nothing to me, much moreso than a filled out profile with no picture. I'm more likely to remember any of you based on your post history than I would a picture.

I realize of course I have a very strange way of looking at things but they do let strange people use online dating too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

foxinsox wrote: »
    Photos which may not even be accurate....

Just saying :pac:

Yeah but you'd tend to cop that when you meet the person. You're not going to notice if they're a horse riding champion, or if they like to do charity work in their spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I realize of course I have a very strange way of looking at things but they do let strange people use online dating too :D

Not strange. Unique. :) Though with near identical profiles and seemingly identical messages being sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

To me most people tend to look approximately the same. If you showed me 10 different pictures and then asked me to recount what I just saw, I'd mix up the details between them and wouldn't know which was which.

That doesn't mean I have no physical preferences - I like dark hair, I think glasses look sexy and so on.

What differentiates people to me is their personality and you're right that's more than their interests and can even be a counter indicator. I've gotten on very well with people I never would have guessed I would just that we were thrown together in random happenstance.

Sure a person's profile text might not be accurate but then their actions on a date might not be authentic nor reflective of them either.

A blank profile means nothing to me, much moreso than a filled out profile with no picture. I'm more likely to remember any of you based on your post history than I would a picture.

But profile can specify age brackets, location etc. By ignoring this information you could be wasting time contacting some women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Got myself a date this Wednesday with a cutie Italian guy. Looking forward to it. Emails back and forth are going well so far, lots of banter. A little bit chuffed if I dont say so myself ;)

Edit that... a Brad Pitt lookalike has just winked at me!!! Online dating is all of a sudden looking up ;) Has to be a catch somewhere? (Maybe I should keep quite about a Brad Pitt lookalike who is available on O.D....wouldn't want any competition hehe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Most likely. People aren't generally on dating sites to find friends.

I had a look on pof before I joined and a load of the female profiles tend to say "looking for friends and see from there".

Thought I was playing it smart, lesson learned.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmm, I guess that girl I was talking to last week has gone and disapperated after asking to have a look at my facebook. bah, she was the only one to reply to me at all since I returned from my OD break. Think I've mailed close to 30 people, but to no avail. Sometimes I feel like Ned Flanders when he did that, "I've done everything the (OD) Bible says, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"
    Oh well, at least i have the opportunity to post the poster of a film I worked on which I feel represents my current situation quite adequately:

524301_362607560466809_1924256885_n.jpg

ah i avoid the whole becoming facebook friends...seems to not matter and i have been doing well with O.D without needing to become Facebook friends. Adds a little bit of mystery to the scenario and keeps the other person guessing about your dark mysterious side.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    (Damn you Dawson's Creek! :pac:) .

Oi! :mad:
    ah i avoid the whole becoming facebook friends...seems to not matter and i have been doing well with O.D without needing to become Facebook friends. Adds a little bit of mystery to the scenario and keeps the other person guessing about your dark mysterious side.

I find a lot of people I talk to like to see a Facebook page so they know you are who you say you are. Well, I get that request quite a bit. CLEARLY my OD profile is just too good to be true! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Im feelin a little bit happy and very nervous! I had 2 guys that i was interested in, one is defintite date and weve just confirmed times etc, happy out, he seems super sweet and proper gentleman too :o

guy no2 well he was funny and hot, but it appears (this is only my gut instinct of course, but im rarely wrong) all he actualy wants is a bit of "who's yer daddy" ! while thats ok for some, to dance around it is not very cool. Bit dissapointed i didnt spot it sooner :confused:

If I may inquire, what makes you think that about guy no2 missrandomer?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Galvasean wrote: »
    If I may inquire, what makes you think that about guy no2 missrandomer?

Emmm not going to give away what kind of messages i was getting but it seems to have taken a complete turn from so what you like to do for fun to what is fun if you know what i mean!!

and its like he is rushing to get the coffee out of the way as soon as possible so the next "date" could be planned.
    pity though, nothing turns a girl off like a just wanna bang type message.

I cant explain it properly here, i dont even know how much i can say lol

Have a date lined up with Brad pitt lookalike tomorrow. Let's just hope he has the personaility to back up the good looks.

Have a date lined up with Brad pitt lookalike tomorrow. Let's just hope he has the personaility to back up the good looks.

You mean you hope he cheats on you with Angelina Jolie? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

So... I might be deleting my profile.. Again. :pac:

Things are getting interesting with someone I met online, NOT on a dating site. Gonna spend another week or so ODing because I have a date or two in the works, but I may possibly be gone soon.

Eek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    So... I might be deleting my profile.. Again. :pac:

Things are getting interesting with someone I met online, NOT on a dating site. Gonna spend another week or so ODing because I have a date or two in the works, but I may possibly be gone soon.

Eek!

Overdosing??? :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Overdosing??? :eek:

Online Dating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

I signed up for POF just looking for friends. Sounds sad but I have stopped going out to clubs (losing weight and drinking every weekend makes it impossible!) and I moved to a new town where I don't know anyone. So when I seen there was a friends option on POF I was delighted.....but not for long.

After signing up I received probably 200 messages on the first day, most were "hi" or looking for NSA and a large percentage were married. I guess on POF friends=NSA? Despite there being a NSA option. The amount of married men contacting me for sex actually made me feel sick. And they weren't very private either, a few gave me their full names and where they live (I chatted until I found out they were married then cut contact) I uploaded 7/8 pictures and wrote a bit about my interests.

I did get talking to one guy who seemed nice and we planned to meet up, then added each other on FB and I only got one reply from him after that. My POF profile was being all weird (it wouldn't let me reply to a few messages, just kept reloading the page) so I made a new one...noticed he "viewed" me so I clicked on his page..then 10 mins later he had hidden his profile and such...bit extreme I thought? Moral of the story: don't add people to facebook! I rarely even use mine, just go through phases of liking then hating it but he suggested it so I added him.

Around the same time another guy off POF added me on FB and we are still chatting but I think he might be interested in me as more than a friend even though he said at the beginning thats all hes looking for too.

I have since deleted my POF page, don't think i'll be back on there in a hurry! Lasted a total of a whopping 2 whole days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I signed up for POF just looking for friends.

After signing up I received probably 200 messages on the first day, most were "hi" or looking for NSA and a large percentage were married. I guess on POF friends=NSA?

Unfortunately the 'friends' option on a lot of sites is NSA. If you are looking for friends only try meeting point. Lots of events etc that you can go to and everyone is really friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ForeverYoungx

Dovies wrote: »
    Unfortunately the 'friends' option on a lot of sites is NSA. If you are looking for friends only try meeting point. Lots of events etc that you can go to and everyone is really friendly

Thanks i'll look into that! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks i'll look into that! :)

Also meetup.com looks good, I have yet to try any of the meet ups though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

miamee wrote: »
    Also meetup.com looks good, I have yet to try any of the meet ups though :)

Oops thats what I meant! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Having trouble registering on POF and wondering does any1 know what the story is?? I go to register- i'm redirected to a seduction survey test and after i finish it i'm directed to the results page with no further links related to the registration process??
    Anyone help me sort this out??

Galvasean wrote: »
    You mean you hope he cheats on you with Angelina Jolie? :pac:

I'm the secret mistress nobody knows about when the kids get too much and he needs some fun time ;)

Seriously I have no idea where the brad pitt look alike just appeared from online dating, but he is hot and he has brains to burn. And lunch with him was not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

miamee wrote: »
    Online Dating ;)

Duuuuuuuuuuh lol :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement