Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity Workout: Anyone try it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have some ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have some ham.

Invaluable contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RNC

Mellor wrote: »
    What a car crash...
    RNC wrote: »
    not entirely true
    Yeah it is completely true.
    Either you didn't understand the statement, or you thought you seen a chance to get a little pedantic and not help the OP.
    Exactly... Also set of twin both exercise the same but one eats 2500 per day from steak the other 2500 from chocolate who looks better??
    Are you suggesting that they'll look the same?
    The fact that the one who eats the "better" diet looks better is in favour of my post that diet is the deciding factor.
    Slight off topic there about the dieting. Reason that debate started is because posters were talking in absolutes, e.g. its only diet you work on. Im pretty sure anyone would agree that a good combination of good diet and exercise will help lose weight and improve fitness.
    I never said that exercise was irrelevant or that it was only diet. I said diet was the deciding factor. I don't see what is so confusing about that. The OP wanted know if the insanity diet was a good way to lose weight for a wedding. If it was a better option that the 100s out there. I was pointing out that her diet plan is a much more important decision than which brand of exercise she follows.
    Two people with the same stats, both eat the same diet. Both want to lose weight.
    One sits on his ass all day, the other goes cycling, jogging, swimming etc.

Will one lose weight more than the other?
    I never said that exercising doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure of the point to your question.
    Exercising will increase your BMR, which has obvious advantages, but its ultimately a waste of time if you don't eat to suite your goals. It's a pretty simple concept, and I'm a bit shocked that it was lost so easily.
    As for your question. Neither will lose weight if they don't eat a deficit. Again, diet is the deciding factor.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

YES
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No
    Jarren wrote: »
    YES
    :D

What is this, a bloody stability referendum!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lago wrote: »
    Yes...... It's entirely true......
    This is the comment that I think got to people. As some could pick up 'entirely' as meaning you are claiming it is 100% down to diet and 0% down to exercise.
    It's far easier to eat less calories than it is to exercise more to burn extra calories
    It's conceivable that some might find the opposite true, and want to stick to their standard diet for whatever reason, and exercise more instead, some may have time to burn, personally I have more spare time since I cycle to work, which is much faster than driving or commuting by bus/luas.

I find a deficit of 500kcal food easy enough, while I would find a food deficit of 1000kcal harder than a combined 500kcal food, 500kcal exercise alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

rubadub wrote: »
    This is the comment that I think got to people. As some could pick up 'entirely' as meaning you are claiming it is 100% down to diet and 0% down to exercise.

But this statement shouldn't get to people because it is ENTIRELY true!!!

You can sit on your ass on the couch watching TV all day, not do a shread of exercise and as long as you are eating a calorie deficit, then you should lose weight.

You do not NEED to exercise to lose weight!!

Again nobody is arguing that exercising dosen't help create a deficit or that exercise is not beneficial. But the truth of the matter is exercise is not required to lose weight. it can be done with diet alone. And all the exercise in the world will not help with weight management if you are eating more calories then you are buring on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Again nobody is arguing that exercising dosen't help create a deficit or that exercise is not beneficial.
    From the first few posts some people could have easily thought people WERE arguing that exact point, that it is 0% beneficial to weightloss. That it was entirely, 100%, completely down to diet.

Surely people must see this how this could have been picked up with the short blunt posts :confused:
    But the truth of the matter is exercise is not required to lose weight. it can be done with diet alone
    +1, did anybody even hint otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You do not NEED to exercise to lose weight!!

Yeah but considering the OP was asking about a workout in an attempt to lose weight, to ignore the workout in favour of arguing that diet is what loses weight seemed like an "Exercise is useless if your not eating healthy" argument which is probably what got to people regardless of the innocence of those just trying to say diet is important when it comes to losing weight.

Assuming the OP's weight is stable enough and he's not piling it on (safe enough assumption I think unless he has stated otherwise) then a 60 day high intensity workout program like insanity will help him lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doc1023

Any done the 60 day insanity workout and would you recommend it?

Need to lose few pounds for wedding in end July

I've done a few of the workouts from it and it's hard! Really enjoyable though and you feel great for doing it once you get your breath back and get off the floor.
    I'm starting off this week with the intention of doing the full 60 days so one day down.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

rubadub wrote: »

Well, that's not what I was trying to claim. Someone posted "diet is more important than exercise when losing fat". Another person replied with something like "not entirely true", to which I replied with "Yes...... It's entirely true......", just as a switch around of the other person's post, meaning that the entire statement was true, not that 100% down to diet.

However, as Tommy pointed out, the point still stands, fat loss is achievable with diet alone.
    It's conceivable that some might find the opposite true, and want to stick to their standard diet for whatever reason, and exercise more instead, some may have time to burn, personally I have more spare time since I cycle to work, which is much faster than driving or commuting by bus/luas.

I find a deficit of 500kcal food easy enough, while I would find a food deficit of 1000kcal harder than a combined 500kcal food, 500kcal exercise alternative.

A man who eats maintance calories every day and then decides he wants to lose fat, will see results if he doesn't change his diet and starts exercising. That's what I did when I first started working out. However, that same person might start eating more to compensate when he starts burning calories.

As I said, it's far easier to eat less than burning more calories. I can't see why anyone would want to exercise more to keep their current diet. Why eat a few slices of pizza and spend 20 minutes extra doing cardio when you could just not eat the pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Why eat a few slices of pizza and spend 20 minutes extra doing cardio when you could just not eat the pizza?

cause pizza tastes so good, and one must be able to indulge now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Why eat a few slices of pizza and spend 20 minutes extra doing cardio when you could just not eat the pizza?

cause pizza tastes so good, and one must be able to indulge now and again

Followed by a cold beer.

I'll cycle to work next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 driftykas

i downloaded the entire set of dvd's plus nutrition guide from isohunt, only took about 3 hours and was around 7gb. not gonna start for another while as i'm pregnant but looks pretty tough, no equipment needed and not too much space required so i'd say give it a shot if you can find the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus what have I done:pac::pac::pac:

Some of you were asking me my current fitness levels.

There not too bad. Able do 5k run pretty OK at moment(5k not whole pile to some but I think I be able to do 10k if pushed but slowly going into it). I have been out of playing rugby for past season after problem with knee, but doctor says I fine as have my Club physio.

My knee is great now actually and am doing jogging and doing excerise.

But I have lost touch of pace and want to lose about stone for summer. Just need lose that little bit that I have put on and I think I need more of intense workout that may push me more then just going for jog where I do 5k and be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 endeavourgym

Hi OP,

WOW guys a lot of bickering over this, maybe I can shed some light...

Any workout will help you lose weight!
    Any caloric deficit in your diet will also help you lose weight!

For the bickering few, there is more than just creating a caloric deficit, either by exercise or diet, we need to lose fat whilst maintaining lean tissue, that will be the difference between looking like a a graduate from the concentration weight loss camp or looking like a fit and healthy male/female.

I have a saying I use with my clients, Diet is 100%, exercise is 100%

Also counting calories can be difficult due to the dynamics of how they are used up in the body,

BMR accounts for around 60% (this is just keeping stuff ticking over)
    TEF (or the thermogenic effect of food) around 6-10% some may say slightly more.Protein has the highest thermic effect)
    TEA (exercise) this is the one with the most room for play and can account for anything from 10-30+ percent, and I'm not just talking about calories burnt during a session.

Different diet and training combinations will also alter the effects your results.

Example,

Client 1, eats a caloric deficit whilst eating refined carbs and does no exercise = looks like crap.
    Client 2, eats a caloric deficit whilst eating plenty of meats and complex carbs and does no exercise = weight loss and looks reasonable
    Client 3 eats high carb/low fat/trains with weights intensely = may be quite 'strong looking'
    Client 4 eats high protein/high good fats/trains intensely with weights and does metabolic conditioning = may look lean and athletic.

don't get caught up in the examples, they are just that!

Back to the OP's initial question,

Give the insanity W/O a bash, however there's lots of plyo-metric jump movements (if you have issues regarding your knee, best you sort them out first), there's a diet included, which I presume is similar in nature to the P90 diets (fat loss/ muscle building and performance). like any programme of exercise AND diet that you stick to 95%+ of the time, you'll get good results. Don't think the DVDs will solve all your problems, they are just a framework to work within, you still need to get your sweat on and put in the time.

Frank

Well I got the program in the end. Finished week 1.

Its pretty tough I wont lie. Had take few breaks in between, but at same time I finding it does have benefits also.

Seems be different type of fitness to just going on treadmill and Rowing machine.

No 6pack just yet;), but hopefully by week 4 I be able to find this first months OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well I got the program in the end. Finished week 1.

Its pretty tough I wont lie. Had take few breaks in between, but at same time I finding it does have benefits also.

Seems be different type of fitness to just going on treadmill and Rowing machine.

No 6pack just yet;), but hopefully by week 4 I be able to find this first months OK.

Hey! Did you continue doing this? How did you find it?

Hey! Did you continue doing this? How did you find it?

Yes I have. If im honest I have found it great help.

I have lost a stone in weight and noticed results especially in my Chest and Abs. Fitness wise feel much better

Now I dont have six pack or anything but do look bit leaner.

I have not got the results of people you normally see, but I am pleased with it overall.

I do have 2 weeks left. I actually found it has helped me run little faster and im 29 now.

Overall so far I would give it 8/10.

I guess I have followed the nutrition plan 75% of time, only times being maybe the Sundays I take off and odd bad lunch in work, but tried to stick to healthy food.

Still not finished the program so in 2 weeks I could be really ripped:pac:.

I will get back in fortnight to let ye know little more.

Yes I have. If im honest I have found it great help.

I have lost a stone in weight and noticed results especially in my Chest and Abs. Fitness wise feel much better

Now I dont have six pack or anything but do look bit leaner.

I have not got the results of people you normally see, but I am pleased with it overall.

I do have 2 weeks left. I actually found it has helped me run little faster and im 29 now.

Overall so far I would give it 8/10.

I guess I have followed the nutrition plan 75% of time, only times being maybe the Sundays I take off and odd bad lunch in work, but tried to stick to healthy food.

Still not finished the program so in 2 weeks I could be really ripped:pac:.

I will get back in fortnight to let ye know little more.

I actually have 3 weeks left. I have wedding in 2 weeks and thats what I was thinking off.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

I just bought the deluxe Insanity workout and I'm hoping to start it next Monday. I've seen the results it get's with my friends, but is it really as hard as people say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I have been doing P90X for the past 6 weeks and how found it excellent.
    Not sticking to the diet 100% as i found i did not have enough energy after being of it for 3 weeks so have modified it slightly.
    P90X has 3 phases of 3 weeks high intensity exercise followed by 1 week rest which is actually a low intensity week. I have extended the high intensity to 4 weeks as some days i miss a workout due to work.
    So far i have found it excellent. I would have been fit already, ie run 10k in 50 min no problem however now im leaner and more athletic looking.
    I have dropped about an inch from my waste without losing weight so while losing fat im adding muscle.
    I would recommend P90X for anyone but i find it great as i can have the workout completed at home in the same time it would take me to drive to the gym and back.
    Be warned however it is not easy, i was fit enough before hand however found the first 2 weeks very hard. Now its much easier and i look forward to workouts.
    Insanity from what i know is very like P90X however a shorter programme.

mrwhimwham wrote: »
    I just bought the deluxe Insanity workout and I'm hoping to start it next Monday. I've seen the results it get's with my friends, but is it really as hard as people say?

Its tough enough alright. I suppose it depends on your general state of fitness at present too I guess.

After week 4 you get kinds sick of looking at same faces and know whats coming so when you start afresh again in week 5 its nice.

I was off average fitness, I was starting to put on bit weight and body fat. This really helped lose that though.

If your willing to put in the work you will get results.

I have been doing P90X for the past 6 weeks and how found it excellent.
    Not sticking to the diet 100% as i found i did not have enough energy after being of it for 3 weeks so have modified it slightly.
    P90X has 3 phases of 3 weeks high intensity exercise followed by 1 week rest which is actually a low intensity week. I have extended the high intensity to 4 weeks as some days i miss a workout due to work.
    So far i have found it excellent. I would have been fit already, ie run 10k in 50 min no problem however now im leaner and more athletic looking.
    I have dropped about an inch from my waste without losing weight so while losing fat im adding muscle.
    I would recommend P90X for anyone but i find it great as i can have the workout completed at home in the same time it would take me to drive to the gym and back.
    Be warned however it is not easy, i was fit enough before hand however found the first 2 weeks very hard. Now its much easier and i look forward to workouts.
    Insanity from what i know is very like P90X however a shorter programme.

Do you need to buy equipment with this or does it come in package(costing more I guess)? If not what do you need?

I like to give that a go in couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I just bought the deluxe Insanity workout and I'm hoping to start it next Monday.
    Do you need to buy equipment with this or does it come in package(costing more I guess)?

The man who managed to put workouts into boxes that could be sold is a genius of marketing. An evil genius who I'd punch in the face if I met him but a genius none the less. Bill Hicks always comes to mind when I read about these types of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Its tough enough alright. I suppose it depends on your general state of fitness at present too I guess.

After week 4 you get kinds sick of looking at same faces and know whats coming so when you start afresh again in week 5 its nice.

I was off average fitness, I was starting to put on bit weight and body fat. This really helped lose that though.

If your willing to put in the work you will get results.

I would have a reasonable level of fitness and I'm hoping for this to improve my fitness so as I can progress further in my sport. I'm an extremely fussy eater too, so that's going to be a major challenge for me to overcome! Any tips to work around the diet?

I would have a reasonable level of fitness and I'm hoping for this to improve my fitness so as I can progress further in my sport. I'm an extremely fussy eater too, so that's going to be a major challenge for me to overcome! Any tips to work around the diet?

It comes with nutrition plan. I have tried to follow it mostly.

Be best if somebody with more knowledge could answer your question. Kinda have small bad habits myself sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Came across a very good side-by-side comparison of this, and a couple of the other home exercise dvd sets:

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side/

The comments in the reviews of Insanity would turn me off trying it. I'm following rushfit as a change from the gym to hopefully improve my stamina, and I'm enjoying the no nonsense approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Equipment:

Resistance Bands
    Get resistance bands from Amazon. I got Ripcords 6 band set. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripcords-Exercise-Bands-Sniper-Edition/dp/B002T64PDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1343220578&sr=1-1

It's on sale at the minute. They're VERY strong. I got a set before that were too stretchy. These on the other hand are very tough rubber. I got the travel bag and door anchor as extras. The door anchor is VERY handy to use. Door anchor is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripcords-Advanced-Resistance-Attachment-Equipment/dp/B003XWRWO4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

It's a little pricey but totally worth it. 95% of workouts can be with this set.

I've a few sets of dumb bells and are handy. Got York ones some years ago but I mostly use the bands. You can get them in Argos easy enough.

Mat. Just get a mat from anywhere. I actually have a two proper sponge mat you see in school gyms and my exercise mat on top of it. You need the exercise mat anyways.

Protein:
    Go to www.myprotein.co.uk or www.myprotein.ie. They're very good. Better than maximuscle. Hurricane is very good as as recovery. Not as expensive as Maximuscle. Maximuscle is very good but very pricey however, in Holland & Barrent, it's buy one, get one half price. So maybe buy the cyclone and promax.

Get Protein Bars from Amazon too. I got the Maximuscle ones because they're half price. Comes in a at £14.50p at the minute on amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maximuscle-Promax-Meal-Chocolate-Protein/dp/B000X43V90/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1343220851&sr=1-1-catcorr

You can make your own but they work out at £1.21p a bar so you can't really complain. Buying them from Holland & Barrent they're €2.75 each I think. Don't get Cyclone bars. They're horrible. The ones above are chewy but not too bad.

iPhone App:
    Get 'My Fitness Pal'. Excellent for tracking your food moreso than what comes with P90X. Plus side, 95% of Irish foods are on it and 99% of UK foods. You can even scan the bar code of something and viola you have the nutritional info.

Will to Succeed
    Let's be honest, all our us would like to do nothing and get the results. You get what you put in. I was in pretty god shape to begin with but after the first month my physique totally changed. Some people will go into a gym and stay true to thir plan and that's great. I like someone to push me on. I use the DVD's on the laptop, have my sheets printed and keep track. Personally i'd rather do it in the mornings before work. Set the alarm for 6am, get up, do the workout and have scrambled eggs on a wholewheat bagel for breakie with a shake. I prefer early morning workouts because for the rest of the day i'm not dredding the workout. It's tough at the begining but after the first 2 weeks you get comfortable with it, no more pains and throughout the day you feel REALLY good.

The meal plan, i've altered it but i'm a good eater anyway. I rarely if ever eat crisps, chocolate or fizzy drinks. I make my food tasted good by how I cook them. Stir frys with low sodium soy sauce, home made chicken burgers on wholegrain buns, low fat cheese, an apple and banana a day, Pistachio nuts, white tea from whitards (better than green tea and no white tea is not lyons. That's black tea).

If you have any questions before you buy it, please PM me i'll try my best to point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

On a similar plan myself, the precursor to Insanity (P90), as my fitness is essentially non-existent. They're fairly well done, and you really feel it afterwards

Advertisement