Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    More a case that men make up approx 49% of the population.

So you're a misogynist, interesting, why do say that men who are born of imperfect women and hence inherit their imperfect genes are suddenly perfect. For this to happen would in itself be a miracle.

But you don't believe in miracles either do you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I will also ignore being called a pedant, because that's what a lot of atheists (not all, but a lot of them are too) are. I've asked very simple questions to atheists who have mocked me because I believe something that was written in a book that is 2000 years old. When I asked him where he heard about evolution he directed me to On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Does this mean that in 2000 years that man then will laugh at those who believe in evolution because it was written in a book that is over 2000 years old, because their will be a new philosophy then to try to explain how we got here and something that answers the question of the meaning of life, the universe and everything? Other than 42. I have also had good conversations with atheists who were nice people and not condescending who accept that I believe in God and yet am intelligent. However the condescending ones don't realise that while they mock those who believe in God because they read it in a book, they tend to forget the fact that they got all of what they believe to be true from books.

I was calling myself a pedant actually but don't let that stop your stream of conscious monologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sigh,

When will people ever learn? Such is the nature of science that a publication is outdated well before it's actually published. It's the most depressing fact that something you could spend 5 years on in a struggle to get published will most likely be outdated by yourself or others before its actually published. Scientists are obsolete. :D

Jernal wrote: »
    Sigh,

When will people ever learn? Such is the nature of science that a publication is outdated well before it's actually published. It's the most depressing fact that something you could spend 5 years on in a struggle to get published will most likely be outdated by yourself or others before its actually published. Scientists are obsolete. :D

So eventually will the theory of evolution considered to be obsolete?

So eventually will the theory of evolution considered to be obsolete?

The current understanding of it is already is, but I think you're misunderstanding me on this. So just to clarify, I'm saying that current understanding is obsolete because either one of two things has happened :
    (i) the theory is refined even further.
    or
    (ii) it is falsified.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    The current understanding of it is already is, but I think you're misunderstanding me on this. So just to clarify, I'm saying that current understanding is obsolete because either one of two things has happened :
    (i) the theory is refined even further.
    or
    (ii) it is falsified.

Well, there is the idea that a lot of scientist will bend their perception to fit with macro-evolution. This is not scientific and goes against the four tiered scientific method.
    So I am not surprised when such psudeoscience is spoken of as truth.

Here's a fond look back at some lies taught as truth until they were debunked.

1. The piltdown man shown in 1912, believed to be real until 1953 when it was shown to be a fabrication. Why would a scientist, someone who claims to search for the truth, make this up?

2. Nebraska Man from 1922

3. Orce Man from 1892 (Skull of a donkey)

4. That one brontosaurus that was found without a head in 1879, though a matching head from an apatosaurus was found around 3 miles away.

5. 1996, Sinosauropteryx, A supposed transition between a
    dinosaur and a bird. Scientists now dispute that there are
    actual feathers on the back of this “feathered dinosaur”
    6. 1999, Archaeoraptor, Another supposedly “Feathered
    Dinosaur” published in National Geographic proven to be a
    fraud.

Then there is the idea that life arose from non-life, this goes against the fact that energy cannot be created nor can it be destroyed, nothing can come from nothing.
    If this were true, why isn't it being repeated all over the place, after all, things evolve to suit their conditions, don't they?

Lets look at Animal Homology.

What would discredit the Darwinian Evolutionary Model of
    Homology?

Identical anatomical (homologous) features in animals that coincidentally appear in different evolutionary lines, you know they were not inherited from one another.

Look at the eye for example, lets look at the eye of a human, and the eye of an octopus, they are both very similar in structure, but is the octopus from the same evolutionary line as humans?

Or what about animals that fly, is there a relation between birds and bats or flying reptiles or insects, or do they have an different evolutionary line.

If limbs are similar due to Darwinian evolution, then why are there no
    homologous genes that code for similar structures in supposed descendents?

Maybe you are aware that scientifcally, a tuna is closer to a rabbit than it is to a dogfish?

Or that a crocodiles blood is more homologous to a chicken than it is to a viper?
    Only 5.6% homology with Viper, But 17.5% but with the Chicken

Because of this, there would have to be a common designer rather than a common ancestor, because of the way that the analogous limbs don't carry on throughout the descendants, but they appear to come and go, and the fact that they appear through different evolutionary lines.

Lets quickly look at embryolgy

Anyone heard of Ernst Heinrich Haeckel and his embryos?
    His ideas were universally panned as being fraudulent.
    Yet it still taught at colleges to biology students?

Why is this still being taught in our schools?

I remember hearing about the peppered moth and how it proves evolution, well it doesn't, it only proves variation within the kind, it does no prove macro-evolution, like darwins finches, the peppered moth remains a peppered moth, would you say that speckled and spotted sheep would evolve into something else, or would they create a new sheep that looks a bit different. Would that still be a sheep?

The peppered moth just shows survival of the fittest, but not evolution in progress.

There are some discrepancies in the moth studies

A) Dark moths in many unpolluted areas increased in proportion just as those in polluted areas had.
    B) Dark moths continued to increase in proportion after pollution controls were in place and light colored camouflage returned to the trees.
    C) In one area, dark colored moths began decreasing in proportion before the light colored lichen returned to the trees.
    D) Staged photographs

A 2003 review of science textbooks being considered by the Texas State Board of
    Education found six of eleven textbooks to contain the disproved peppered moth
    doctrine as proof of Darwinian Evolution.

Natural selection and variation within an animal kind (aka natural adaptation or ‘survival of the fittest’) ≠ Darwinian evolution

Lets have a look at horses.

Evolutionists admit the horse history is better represented as a “bush” rather
    than a “tree.”

WHY?

Evolutionists admit that all but Hyracotherium were contemporary to each other!
    (Existed at the same time) If all three lived contemporaneously, then they
    did not evolve from one another.

Variations Within an Animal Kind (i.e.,Microevolution) Do Not Prove Descent
    from a Common Ancestor (Macroevolution)

And finally, if we look at the poodle, we can see it's a pedigree dog, now evolution says that the strongest genes survive to the next generation, yet the poodle as a lot of genetic degeneracy for example, lots of eye issues, retinal atrophy, glaucoma, retinal detachment, congential deafness, prone to epilepsy and narcolepsy.

But look at the Grey wolf, It stays within the grey wolf pedigree and does not suffer with these maladys, can someone explain that?

Sorry for the long post, here's a flower @-}

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There were promising moments of comedy earlier in this thread. What happened?
    The Darwin-was-wrong stuff is only funny the first time you read it. I read it ages ago. Can we get back to the funny?

You might say I have an under-evolved sense of tolerance for the denial of reality....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Care to define what you mean by "kind"? I assume you mean that all descendants of some prior animal are all still able to mate and reproduce with each other and are therefore not a different species?
    Please keep the definition as clear as it can be but still somewhat concise. I don't want to read a novel here.

I love being concise.
    Well, there is the idea that a lot of scientist will bend their perception to fit with macro-evolution. This is not scientific and goes against the four tiered scientific method.

Four tiered? What on earth is this? There is no set formula for science.
    So I am not surprised when such psudeoscience is spoken of as truth.
    That said, it is definitely clear what isn't science e.g A game of hurling and Creationism.
    Here's a fond look back at some lies taught as truth until they were debunked.
    Alas, if only taught science could be 100% reliable however due to every undulating nature of science it isn't.

1. The piltdown man shown in 1912, believed to be real until 1953 when it was shown to be a fabrication. Why would a scientist, someone who claims to search for the truth, make this up?

2. Nebraska Man from 1922

3. Orce Man from 1892 (Skull of a donkey)

4. That one brontosaurus that was found without a head in 1879, though a matching head from an apatosaurus was found around 3 miles away.

5. 1996, Sinosauropteryx, A supposed transition between a
    dinosaur and a bird. Scientists now dispute that there are
    actual feathers on the back of this “feathered dinosaur”
    6. 1999, Archaeoraptor, Another supposedly “Feathered
    Dinosaur” published in National Geographic proven to be a
    fraud.

Then there is the idea that life arose from non-life, this goes against the fact that energy cannot be created nor can it be destroyed, Since when is this a fact? It's an all too common assumption that is broken more often than you think. nothing can come from nothing. Great, an analytic statement. Analytic's are useless because well what the point in saying all bald men have no hair? Are you trying to make a point here?
    If this were true, why isn't it being repeated all over the place, after all, things evolve to suit their conditions, don't they?
    This isn't a fair assessment, if the sun dies tomorrow, we all die, there's little chance of adaption. Not everything can adapt.
    Lets look at Animal Homology.

What would discredit the Darwinian Evolutionary Model of
    Homology?
    A Crocoduck, no seriously!

Identical anatomical (homologous) features in animals that coincidentally appear in different evolutionary lines, you know they were not inherited from one another.

Look at the eye for example, lets look at the eye of a human, and the eye of an octopus, they are both very similar in structure, but is the octopus from the same evolutionary line as humans?

Or what about animals that fly, is there a relation between birds and bats or flying reptiles or insects, or do they have an different evolutionary line.

If limbs are similar due to Darwinian evolution, then why are there no
    homologous genes that code for similar structures in supposed descendents?

Maybe you are aware that scientifcally, a tuna is closer to a rabbit than it is to a dogfish?

Or that a crocodiles blood is more homologous to a chicken than it is to a viper?
    Only 5.6% homology with Viper, But 17.5% but with the Chicken

Because of this, there would have to be a common designer rather than a common ancestor, because of the way that the analogous limbs don't carry on throughout the descendants, but they appear to come and go, and the fact that they appear through different evolutionary lines.
    I'm assuming on good faith that your facts are correct. Even if they are how exactly does this disprove evolution via common descent? More so, how the heck is a common designer ruled out by evolution?

Lets quickly look at embryolgy

Anyone heard of Ernst Heinrich Haeckel and his embryos?
    His ideas were universally panned as being fraudulent.
    Yet it still taught at colleges to biology students?
    Why is this still being taught in our schools?

Why are Newton's law still taught? Yes, I'm being dead serious, they're fricking wrong! Something even the wrong stuff have utility. I'm not a biologist so I don't know but I assume there is some use to teaching them.

I remember hearing about the peppered moth and how it proves evolution, well it doesn't, it only proves variation within the kind, it does no prove macro-evolution, like darwins finches, the peppered moth remains a peppered moth, would you say that speckled and spotted sheep would evolve into something else, or would they create a new sheep that looks a bit different. Would that still be a sheep?

The peppered moth just shows survival of the fittest, but not evolution in progress.

There are some discrepancies in the moth studies

A) Dark moths in many unpolluted areas increased in proportion just as those in polluted areas had.
    B) Dark moths continued to increase in proportion after pollution controls were in place and light colored camouflage returned to the trees.
    C) In one area, dark colored moths began decreasing in proportion before the light colored lichen returned to the trees.
    D) Staged photographs

Variation would be naturally expected would it not. After all not every human on earth is the same.
    A 2003 review of science textbooks being considered by the Texas State Board of
    Education found six of eleven textbooks to contain the disproved peppered moth
    doctrine as proof of Darwinian Evolution.

Excuse me doctrine?
    Natural selection and variation within an animal kind (aka natural adaptation or ‘survival of the fittest’) ≠ Darwinian evolution

Lets have a look at horses.

Evolutionists admit the horse history is better represented as a “bush” rather
    than a “tree.”

WHY?
    I'd take a guess that horses were heavily influenced by artificial selection.

Evolutionists admit that all but Hyracotherium were contemporary to each other!
    (Existed at the same time) If all three lived contemporaneously, then they
    did not evolve from one another.

Variations Within an Animal Kind (i.e.,Microevolution) Do Not Prove Descent
    from a Common Ancestor (Macroevolution)
    What exactly is a 'Kind'? Is this a taxonomical (I'm not sure that's even a word) trick?

And finally, if we look at the poodle, we can see it's a pedigree dog, now evolution says that the strongest genes survive to the next generation, yet the poodle as a lot of genetic degeneracy for example, lots of eye issues, retinal atrophy, glaucoma, retinal detachment, congential deafness, prone to epilepsy and narcolepsy.
    Evolution doesn't say that the strongest survive. Being the fittest doesn't always necessary mean the strongest. And then we have statistical variation too. Think about it.
    But look at the Grey wolf, It stays within the grey wolf pedigree and does not suffer with these maladys, can someone explain that?

Sorry for the long post, here's a flower @-}
    No problem, it was your effort. Mine was significantly less perhaps just pick a single point and focus esoterically on that one. Then move onto the next. Btw, my reply, took .. 7 minutes. How long that take to type? If you want a more constructive discussion here it would be a lot more fruitful to just pick one point. Provide a source to back up your claims and please dear Lord avoid the shotgun approach. It does not help anyone.
    K thanks. :)
    Have a nice day.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Care to define what you mean by "kind"? I assume you mean that all descendants of some prior animal are all still able to mate and reproduce with each other and are therefore not a different species?
    Please keep the definition as clear as it can be but still somewhat concise. I don't want to read a novel here.

Aww, I just got started on my manuscript (well resumed it after months of hiatus due to ill health.) It's on 'Life' too. Are you sure you don't want to read? I promise my best to try to make it interesting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Any more talk of creationism can go in the pit of despair with all the other crazies.

Otherwise we'll have to shut this abomination of a thread down and would that be a disaster...

Dades wrote: »
    Any more talk of creationism can go in the pit of despair with all the other crazies.

Otherwise we'll have to shut this abomination of a thread down and would that be a disaster...
    Aw why so negative?

Call it the pit of hope. As long as there's dialogue there's hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

swampgas wrote: »
    Why don't you start by telling us what you think.

I don't think, therfore I am not.

its a belief system, or rather the lack thereof.

Well which is it?

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Malpaisian wrote: »
    I don't think, therfore I am not.

you mean you're a ghost in the machine? :eek::P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Which of newtons laws are wrong?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well which is it?
    Lack thereof. Clearly it's not a belief system.

The word "system" suggests a set of beliefs rather than the one "lack of belief" that constitutes atheism in it's entirety.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Atheism is a refusal/failure/inability/unwillingness to believe the unbelievable. Atheists believe only things that can be observed or detected with the senses or instruments.:rolleyes:

I presume that you only believe in things that can be observed or detected directly by you using your senses and instruments which you have designed, having a full understanding of how they work and in the full knowlege that these instruments are failsafe. I presume, also, that you have carried out these studies out of a pure desire to discover and learn and you are free from any other agenda or patronage.

If not, then you are relying on faith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I presume that you only believe in things that can be observed or detected directly by you using your senses and instruments which you have designed, having a full understanding of how they work and in the full knowlege that these instruments are failsafe. I presume, also, that you have carried out these studies out of a pure desire to discover and learn and you are free from any other agenda or patronage.

If not, then you are relying on faith.

If they're so inclined they can go off and independently verify these things
    they can certainly test to see they work even if they don't understand the mechanics

completely unlike what you're claiming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know why some religious people try the "see, you're as bad as me for relying on faith!" approach
    not exactly doing themselves any favours

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Lack thereof. Clearly it's not a belief system.

The word "system" suggests a set of beliefs rather than the one "lack of belief" that constitutes atheism in it's entirety.

Well, many of you seem to "believe" that Creationists etc are mad,sad or bad or all three. Many of you seem to have a similar faith in science to a creationists faith in God. I presume you personally believe that when you die you will cease to exist in any form that's alive or sentient. Many atheists share a belief in the big bang theory and the theory of evolution. Many believe that they are RIGHT and that what they believe is the only logical thing to believe.

Science can be tested
    I can go off and learn these things and head into a lab and test it myself

you can never ever do that with your religion
    end of

No it's not

Yes it Is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't know why some religious people try the "see, you're as bad as me for relying on faith!" approach

If they believe in Noah's Ark, then anything is possible.

“Some people say Chris ‘don’t you ever get tired of arguing with the religious?’ No absolutely I don’t because you never know what they’re going to say next.”
    — Christopher Hitchens

It's interesting how so many catholics know so little about the bible, yet, the Atheists are better educated in the bible and it's horse-****tery.

Science can be tested
    I can go off and learn these things and head into a lab and test it myself

Have you done this?
    you can never ever do that with your religion
    end of

I don't have a religion.

Your first scientific mistake was to assume that I am, in any way, religious or that I believe in the existance of a God.

You also seem content to just be dismissive of the argument I made instead of engaging with it. Have you ever been to "Speakers Corner" in London and tried to argue with any of the various fundamentalists there? That's exactly what they do.

koth wrote: »
    you mean you're a ghost in the machine? :eek::P

Nah, I'm just someone who can't help but examine the machine

Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby...

That is sooooooo clever! Well done you!

I don't have a religion.
    Oh yes you do! Your religion is the religion of not having a religion. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Nah, I'm just someone who can't help but examine the machine

it was an attempt at a joke, which obviously didn't land.

Your post that I quoted taken in isolation could have been read to say, "I don't exist" because the phrasing was so similar to the saying, "I think, therefore I am".

As to the rest of your posts, I don't see how not believing in any deities means someone is a member of a religion.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement