Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭bnt

dead one wrote: »
    Atheist are very religious when it comes to defend their faith. I am saying a very deep thing, It needs wisdom to understand it. If you can't understand then don't waste your time by quoting me.
    Now, if only you had the wisdom to actually say this very deep thing ..? Do you realise that every one of your 800-or-so posts in this forum are available for everyone to read and laugh at?

I have read things written by wise people, and think I even know a few; but one thing all wise people have in common is that they would never claim to be wise.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whelpling

did you forget you're quoting me in a topic "Is atheism a religion"... you've proved my point. It's called wisdom. You want us to show that "atheism isn't a religion"... It makes your desires religious... The purpose of your wishes is same i.e religious one...... Why do you care if atheism is religion or not...

I can't help but notice that you sort of avoided my question there.

Which point have I proved?

What is called wisdom?

Who is this 'us' that I apparently wish to show that atheism isn't a religion?

What desires of mine are religious, and why?

What is the purpose of my wishes, exactly, and how are they religious?

Who said that I cared if atheism was a religion or not?

I'm afraid you're going to have to make a concerted effort to make a little sense if you're expecting me to discuss anything with you on any sort of meaningful level.

By all means, if you're just here to make yourself feel better by repeating nonsense, let me know so I can avoid wasting time and leave you to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

bnt wrote: »
    Now, if only you had the wisdom to actually say this very deep thing ..?

I have read things written by wise people, and think I even know a few; but one thing all wise people have in common is that they would never claim to be wise.
    Are you smoking, I had said, only wise will understand what i am saying... i didn't say that i am wise...It needs wisdom to understand wisdom and it's nature of wise to resist pleasures, only fool to slave... Why i am saying this here, because i know, majority of you are slave to pleasures... It's a process..

Are you smoking, I had said, only wise will understand what i am saying... i didn't say that i am wise...It needs wisdom to understand wisdom and it's nature of wise to resist pleasures, only fool to slave... Why i am saying this here, because i know, majority of you are slave to pleasures... It's a process..
    So, you are not wise enough to understand what you are saying? Holy cow, we're in the presence of a true prophet! :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Whelpling wrote: »
    By all means, if you're just here to make yourself feel better by repeating nonsense, let me know so I can avoid wasting time and leave you to it.
    Dude, you've already wasted your time by showing your ignorance and arrogance... read my first ... I said, if you don't understand wisdom then stop quoting me... Now in above post you said... "What is wisdom" -- Dude, what's matter with you... you've proved all of my point, you're very religious and that's why you've started quoting me and now you're blaming me... .. thank and peace
    ;)

• Advertisement

So, you are not wise enough to understand what you are saying? Holy cow, we're in the presence of a true prophet! :pac:

Thou shalt not take the Holy Cow's name in vain.

read what you said...
    now, you will be wise to understand me..

Dude, you've already wasted your time by showing your ignorance and arrogance... read my first ... I said, if you don't understand wisdom then stop quoting me... Now in above post you said... "What is wisdom" -- Dude, what's matter with you... you're proved all of my point, you're very religious and that's why you've started quoting me and now you're blaming me... .. thank and peace
    ;)

That was all the proof you needed to state that he/she is religious?

No wonder you're religious. ;)

That was all the proof you needed to state that he/she is religious?
    No wonder you're religious. ;)
    It's a research, i can judge a person by his/her post... you're religious person in defense of your faith... You can attack other people as you've attacked me... Why are you so personal in defending your lack of faith..

now, you will be wise to understand me..
    Or, you could try writing your message in plain language, understandable to all, so that "wisdom" (whatever you mean by that) is not required?

It's not a coincidence that "holy scriptures" are written in ambiguous language with many possible interpretations; if they were written clearly, people would not be able to invent religions based on them.

Your "wisdom", whether you have it or not, looks more like a set of assumptions which you are unable to articulate and which I don't share.

• Advertisement

Or, you could try writing your message in plain language, understandable to all, so that "wisdom" (whatever you mean by that) is not required?
    what about shakespear, can you understand him ;)... Are you saying he wasn't enough wise to understand mystery of universe... See, that's problem with you, that your mind is incapable to understand wisdom... Local/common people don't have enough brain to understand... don't blame me...
    It's not a coincidence that "holy scriptures" are written in ambiguous language with many possible interpretations; if they were written clearly, people would not be able to invent religions based on them.

Your "wisdom", whether you have it or not, looks more like a set of assumptions which you are unable to articulate and which I don't share.
    what do you know about me, How do you know whether i am religious person not not... Why are you judging me.... Because it's the only thing you can do based on your assumption..

It's a research, i can judge a person by his/her post... you're religious person in defense of your faith... You can attack other people as you've attacked me... Why are you so personal in defending your lack of faith..

Oh, okay.

Assuming you're not completely nuts...

What religion am I, exactly?

What do I have faith in?

What other people have I attacked?

When did I attack you?

When have I been "personal" in defending my lack of faith?

How can I simultaneously be personal in defense of my lack of faith while being in defense of my faith?

FYI: It's cool for Shakespeare to write ambiguously - he's making art - not telling us how to live and threatening hellfire if we refuse, or attempting to engage in a forum discussion with someone. I'm pretty sure he wrote quite plainly when his goal was straightforward communication.

How do you know whether i am religious person not not...

You're either religious, a compulsive liar, or you've had a HUGE change of heart recently.

Your past posts are viewable at a click.

You're either religious, a compulsive liar, or you've had a HUGE change of heart recently.

Your past posts are viewable at a click.
    You've right to kill me but you've no right to judge me... To judge someone, it needs faith.. Let me tell you, what If i am a real atheist, real hypocrite, then what will you say..

You've right to kill me but you've no right to judge me... To judge someone, it needs faith.. Let me tell you, what If i am a real atheist, real hypocrite, then what will you say..

I just judged you as being either religious, a compulsive liar, or having a recent change of heart. It's in the post directly before yours. I already did it. Obviously, your assertion that I need faith in order to do so is false.

If you're an atheist or a hypocrite (and I suspect that at least one of those is true), what do you expect me to say? Why would I say anything?

And no, actually, I have no right to kill you. At all. And if I did, I wouldn't. Well I might. It would really depend where I was in my cycle. Probably.

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what do you know about me, How do you know whether i am religious person not not... Why are you judging me.... Because it's the only thing you can do based on your assumption..

Well let's clear it up then .
    JonPierson, Honestly tell, Do you hate religion or not...

See, i am religious person, I don't hate any religion. I even don't hate atheism. If your above quote is true then why is it contradicting me.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    Well let's clear it up then .
    did bnt read that quote... the answer is no.. why are you supporting his cause in the name of your religion, dear koth... I am religious or not, will it change the fact that you're very religious in supporting the cause of your brother.

I just judged you as being either religious, a compulsive liar, or having a recent change of heart.
    change of heart... The heart ins't here, the heart is somewhere else
    It's in the post directly before yours. I already did it. Obviously, your assertion that I need faith in order to do so is false.
    That's not false, that's the truth because being a religious person it is very easy to judge other...The same mistake you've done to prove that you're religious person...
    If you're an atheist or a hypocrite (and I suspect that at least one of those is true), what do you expect me to say? Why would I say anything?
    You have to say, because you're atheist, you need no one to judge yourself...

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

did bnt read that quote... the answer is no.. why are you supporting his cause in the name of your religion, dear koth... I am religious or not, will it change the fact that you're very religious in supporting the cause of your brother.

Did that post make sense to you as you typed it? Religious isn't a synonym for "agreeing with".

Just because you repeatedly say "you are religious. you are religious. you are religious." doesn't make you right.

If you can read this, you're too close!

change of heart... The heart ins't here, the heart is somewhere else

The heart is a myogenic muscular organ found in all animals with a circulatory system (including all vertebrates), which pumps blood throughout the blood vessels by repeated, rhythmic contractions. If your heart is elsewhere, you're in trouble.
    That's not false, that's the truth because being a religious person it is very easy to judge other...The same mistake you've done to prove that you're religious person...

What is your evidence that only religious people can judge?
    You have to say, because you're atheist, you need no one to judge yourself...

This makes no sense. In plain English please?

Incidentally, I've asked over 15 questions you've failed to answer thus far. How about giving some of them a shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

This makes as much sense as the thread on economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Well, atheism can mean either of these concepts. It is one of many words that has multiple meanings.

I'd say that "belief there is no god/disbelief in gods" is contained within "absence of belief in god". Again, though, it's small semantic difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Assuming you're not completely nuts...

That was your first mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Ah dead one, your posts are always good for an aul laugh.

Sarky wrote: »
    That was your first mistake.

Hah!

Yeah, but it was good entertainment in the wee hours. Better than watching a pleasant suited fellow with a grating accent espouse the virtues of JML's latest gadget anyway.

shizz wrote: »
    Ah dead one, your posts are always good for an aul laugh.
    shizz
    That's the purpose of life, to make other people laugh... a free ticket to the heaven..... substitute for my sins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

shizz
    That's the purpose of life, to make other people laugh... a free ticket to the heaven..... substitute for my sins

haha I think there's a little bit more to it than making people laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

shizz

All those paedophile clowns are going to be really happy they get to go to Heaven

Penn wrote: »
    All those paedophile clowns are going to be really happy they get to go to Heaven
    p!ss off and stop quoting me... go and bother someone else... i don't have time for clown like you

• Advertisement

shizz wrote: »
    haha I think there's a little bit more to it than making people laugh.
    Shizz, Now your penny will rest in peace..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement