Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hats off to dead one though. He really brings people together. Against him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sarky wrote: »
    Girl please. At least dinosaurs and lasers are real!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-make-sonic-screwdriver-7660537.html

Seeing as we're all droppin' knowledge bombs in the house in this thread!

Christ, the fanboys will never shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Who would you rather banter with, a fanboy or a superstitious mumbo-jumboist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-make-sonic-screwdriver-7660537.html

Seeing as we're all droppin' knowledge bombs in the house in this thread!

Dear Santa....

endacl wrote: »

I've never been able to tell the difference :pac:

I've never been able to tell the difference :pac:

How very dare you Sir - there is a world of difference between discussing superstitious mumbo-jumbo and wibbly wobbly timey wimey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They prefer to be called Whovians, I'll have you know....

Corkfeen wrote: »
    They prefer to be called Whovians, I'll have you know....
    Is Whovianism a religion? Discuss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Religion:- The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Atheism:- The rejection of belief in the existence of deities.

Atheism is structured like religion in so much as atheists tend to define themselves and look to group with people of like minded views. They have a "belief" system in no believing. They collect money like for the Global Atheist convention it was 440 dollars for a gold ticket.

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Religion:- The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Atheism is structured like religion in so much as atheists tend to define themselves and look to group with people of like minded views. They have a "belief" system in no believing. They collect money like for the Global Atheist convention it was 440 dollars for a gold ticket.
    And Whovianism....?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There's your problem. It's not solely about rejection. It could simply be the absence of belief. The former could potentially be argued to be religion. The latter absolutely cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Jernal wrote: »
    There's your problem. It's not solely about rejection. It could simply be the absence of belief. The former could potentially be argued to be religion. The latter absolutely cannot.

My quote is from the dictionary.. don't shot the messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Its kind of ironic to see some religious people use the term 'religion' as an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

dead one wrote: »
    Atheist are very religious when it comes to defend their faith. I am saying a very deep thing, It needs wisdom to understand it. If you can't understand then don't waste your time by quoting me.

dead one's found the thread!!!

Well what religion worth its salt doesn't have a streak of self-loathing?

Well what religion worth its salt doesn't have a streak of self-loathing?

Whovianism....DUH!

:pac:

My quote is from the dictionary.. don't shot the messenger.

Dictionaries aren't exactly dordly with quality and cromulence. They do their best though. Just curious which dictionary exactly did you take it from?

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Dictionaries aren't exactly dordly with quality and cromulence. They do their best though. Just curious which dictionary exactly did you take it from?

Googling the phrase, it would seem the definition is from wikipedia.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Googling the phrase, it would seem the definition is from wikipedia.

Which phrase? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Which phrase? :pac:

:P:P

the definition that qrrgprgua gave for atheistm!!

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    :P:P

the definition that qrrgprgua gave for atheistm!!

Well, maybe wikipedia took it from the exact same dictionary? :)

Well, maybe wikipedia took it from the exact same dictionary? :)

or maybe wikipedia got it from an anonymous contributor who was talking utter bollocks :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Galvasean wrote: »
    Huhu huh huh.... :pac:

:D

Since you previously said atheism is a religion because atheists believe there is no God do you, by that very same logic, think believing the Earth revolves around the sun is a religion? Do you believe waiting on a bus is a religion? Do think believing in the ineptitude of politicians is a religion?
    Because, frankly, that's a load of bollocks.

You clearly don't see the definition of the word faith. I have based on past outcomes, there are things in the bible that have been fulfilled, for example, in Isiah, Yahweh says that a man called Cyrus would free the jews from babylonian captivity and defined the manner in which it would happen, and around 200 years later (Isiah was dead by this time) a man called cyrus diverted the euphrates river and literally walked in through the gates of babylon (which for some reason had been left open) and took Babylon down. Yahweh actually spoke the name of the man cyrus who freed the Hebrews. There is another prophecy in the bible which speaks of religion being turned upon (the woman in revelation who sits on the waters and the nations is false religion) when a woman is used in a figurative sense in the bible, It means a religion. It also tells us who will turn on religion, and no, it's not the Atheism Alliance, or the United Atheists, but the United Nations will turn on religion. I do not know when this will happen, but everything is in place for this to happen, the members of various churches have become wary of the burden that their church bestows upon them, for example, some churches who insist on tithing and say that you're "stealing god's money." One wonders what would an all powerful being need with mere money, others still cover up various forms of abuses and other crimes, if you cover for a criminal, then you are as guilty as the criminal. this is even in law in a lot of countries. It's called Aiding and Abetting, or being an accessory to a crime. Still others order their members to murder those who are not of their faith, these are all false religions, because God is Love, and it doesn't show love to kill your neighbour, merely because they don't accept your beliefs as their own. So it is no wonder that lots of people have no trust in churches, because all they see is hypocrisy in the churches. But it also says that god "will put it into their hearts" to do this.

Personally I read the bible, and I understand what it says, I have read other religious texts, and even atheist texts and for me the bible is what makes sense.

If you don't agree with me, that is your business and I am not one to judge, because that is not my place to do that, only God can judge, and I am not God. I am an imperfect man like everyone else on the earth.

May God bless you all.

I am an imperfect man like everyone else on the earth.

more like 49%

/pedant.

May God bless you all.

Look after yourself too. :)

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    more like 49%

/pedant.

Oh, Who are the other 51% that are perfect, I would really like to meet them, because if they are perfect then they will live forever naturally and they will never get sick, not having an imperfect gene in them, Can you name one of these people?

Or is this a case of 23.67% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Oh, Who are the other 51% that are perfect, I would really like to meet them, because if they are perfect then they will live forever naturally and they will never get sick, not having an imperfect gene in them, Can you name one of these people?

Or is this a case of 23.67% of statistics are made up on the spot?

More a case that men make up approx 49% of the population.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    more like 49%

/pedant.

I will also ignore being called a pedant, because that's what a lot of atheists (not all, but a lot of them are too) are. I've asked very simple questions to atheists who have mocked me because I believe something that was written in a book that is 2000 years old. When I asked him where he heard about evolution he directed me to On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Does this mean that in 2000 years that man then will laugh at those who believe in evolution because it was written in a book that is over 2000 years old, because their will be a new philosophy then to try to explain how we got here and something that answers the question of the meaning of life, the universe and everything? Other than 42. I have also had good conversations with atheists who were nice people and not condescending who accept that I believe in God and yet am intelligent. However the condescending ones don't realise that while they mock those who believe in God because they read it in a book, they tend to forget the fact that they got all of what they believe to be true from books.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement