Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin school expels 4 pupils for 'disparaging Facebook comments'

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

*probably should have multi-quoted*

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Im not talking about if a pupil threatened to burn me out of it,steal my dog or vandalise my property,i wasnt addressing that issue,maybe you should re read my post and what i was referring to.

I never said it was okay to bully phoebe prince either,you are reading into whats not there.

I still think expulsion is too harsh for a few immature facebook comments,they should have been given at least one chance to redeem themselves.I am aware it was a private school and I would say this of any student of any school public or private,just in case people are going to read into things that arent there.

the comments were of a sexual nature and there for all to see, which should not be entertained. it seems a teenager can be as abusive as they want to be and expect to get away with it cos they are only teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the comments were of a sexual nature and there for all to see, which should not be entertained. it seems a teenager can be as abusive as they want to be and expect to get away with it cos they are only teenagers.

Not only teenagers, Irish society in general.

It's not my fault, I'm only a teenager.
    It's not my fault, somebody took my teddy bear when I was young.
    It's not my fault, I was abused.
    It's not my fault, I was drunk/high/addict.
    It's not my fault, I'm only the financial regulator :mad:

The list goes on and on.

The kids, (not the correct word for their ages but hey), the kids fcuked up and now they have to take their medicine, plain and simple.

Einhard wrote: »
    christmas2012 has sex with children. hahahaha hilarious? What do you mean that was uncalled for? It's just an immature comment. I'm young. Don't I get a free pass??

These students are not children in the sense that you're implying. They are all 17 or 18. In a few weeks, they'll have finished secondary education and looking for jobs, emigrating, starting college. They cannot be absolved of their responsibilities that easily. The teachers that they slandered with allegations of paedophilia must have been traumatised when they heard of the Facebook pages. I know I would have been. To suggest that they were the "immature" work of "children" is ludicrous. The mollycoddling of youth is bad enough these days without extending childhood into young adulthood! They deserved to be expelled. Teaching is a collaborative process between student and teacher, and there is no way that such a process could continue in this instance after the actions of the students involved.

when those four former black rock kicked the student to death their youth and previous good character was taken into consideration. where should we draw the line?

those principals have taken a stand and made tough decisions while others, including the dept of ed stick their heads in the sand.

when those four former black rock kicked the student to death their youth and previous good character was taken into consideration. where should we draw the line?

those principals have taken a stand and made tough decisions while others, including the dept of ed stick their heads in the sand.

If you kick somebody to death, you deffo should see the inside of a jail cell for a considerable length of time. They got off way too lightly in my opinion.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Not only teenagers, Irish society in general.

It's not my fault, I'm only a teenager.
    It's not my fault, somebody took my teddy bear when I was young.
    It's not my fault, I was abused.
    It's not my fault, I was drunk/high/addict.
    It's not my fault, I'm only the financial regulator :mad:

The list goes on and on.

The kids, (not the correct word for their ages but hey), the kids fcuked up and now they have to take their medicine, plain and simple.

the voice of middle class Ireland, the Irish Times would disagree with you and regards the expulsions as harsh.
    I wish the schools in question would come forward and have printed exactly what was said and done. I heard through the grapevine some of the details and if it were made known few decent people would defend the students.
    but then again teachers are paid to put up with abuse just like nurses are paid to be spat at.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you kick somebody to death, you deffo should see the inside of a jail cell for a considerable length of time. They got off way too lightly in my opinion.

do not forget the poor 16 year old who shot the mechanic in 'self defence'. he is now 18 and will be out in four years. he pleaded manslaughter but knew exactly what he was doing. he had a war or words with the mechanic and went home to get a handgun and returned to murder him. maybe the kid should have been given another chance.

the voice of middle class Ireland, the Irish Times would disagree with you and regards the expulsions as harsh.
    I wish the schools in question would come forward and have printed exactly what was said and done. I heard through the grapevine some of the details and if it were made known few decent people would defend the students.
    but then again teachers are paid to put up with abuse just like nurses are paid to be spat at.

The school can't print what was said because that would further the allegations and further humiliate the teacher in question.

Teachers aren't paid to put up with abuse, they are paid to teach. Nurses aren't paid to be spat at either. That's assault and every instance should be reported to the Gardai.

The Irish Times, Champion of the Middle Class. Aye. Champion of Dublin 4 more like. The Irish Times has plenty of D4 staff and it might be a case of them protecting their own D4 students. Influencial parents some of these kids have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

A good old fashioned caning would have nipped this in the bud. Just sayin'.

I blame the parents. No discipline at home or at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

There doesn't have to be somebody to blame once who dunnit is held accountable. Blame gets us nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Einhard wrote: »
    Have your parents contact the department of education with a complaint. If they get enough complaints they will look into it, and inspections will follow. No point moaning about the standard of this teacher if you refuse to do anything about it.

Dept Ed have no role in complaints about teachers. You go to the teacher first, then the principal, then the Board of Management

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Joe10000 wrote: »
    There doesn't have to be somebody to blame once who dunnit is held accountable. Blame gets us nowhere.

What sort of english is this ????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

paddyandy wrote: »

Very poor English. I blame the parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

Kosseegan wrote: »
    A good old fashioned caning would have nipped this in the bud. Just sayin'.

I blame the parents. No discipline at home or at school.
    In my if a teenager misbehaved at school or on the way to school the school would inform the parents. the result would usually be a caning on bare behind for the teenager. This would be in addition to a caning on the hands at school. There were no" high jinks" at the end of term because everyone had learned to behave properly. I remember a girl being caned for not holding the door open for a teacher. There would be no question of insulting teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

what about when teachers (not students) bully a student?.
    my fiance was systematically bullied by some teachers in presentation college terenure years ago because she is blind in one eye. in the end she had to transfer schools because of it
    as someone who was bullied by both teachers and students due to severe developmental/learning disability,woud personaly say to let it go if its in the past-bringing up distant memories if they are settled and tucked away in the past coud open some big problems for her mental health,as it had done for mine.

the idea people have that corporal punishment and awful oldskool teachers ended in the eighties is wrong,went on much longer than that in england- though have no idea if that was legal or not.
    the infant and junior school had gone to were like that,was coming home in bruises every day and that was just from the teachers,was roughly restrained onto tables and against the wall by them and was hit with wooden rulers on the back of hand,was unable to communicate this to parents and the odd time the teachers told mum and dad they agreed with what they did.

-the real scars were from the kids who mentaly bullied constantly and woud goad into out of control rages so they coud have a laugh till one of them got hurt,then they woud complain to teachers and get their parents in so every week was either consisting of being on formal report or suspension.
    teachers were bigoted and biased because they had no idea of dealing with disabilities then.

sorry,for original topic-good on the suspension; it is about time cyber abuse and cyber bullying were took more seriously- the pyschological effects from
    written abuse can be so much worse than physical damage,have broken bones in hand due to fighting back against a bully am living with but find that nothing compared to long term mental bullying which eats away at a person.

things have consequences,if they arent taught that they will grow up thinking they can get away with anything,people woud be complaining that theyre sponging off the dole in years to come just because they can get away with it.
    -they also need to be taught respect for others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Now the grandparents are blamed!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-undisciplined-young-males-are-vile-its-why-society-created-such-a-taboo-about-the-ghastly-alliance-

It's always a sign of pathetic decrepitude, impotence and imminent senility for older people to complain about the younger generation. Young people today are no worse than they've ever been. Though I'm not too enamoured of their parents, I don't really blame them either: it's their parents who are at fault. They didn't instil in their own children an utter and abject terror of schools complaining to parents. For quite clearly, as the end of year school pranks get more and more serious -- no doubt with plane-hijackings and witch-burnings to come before the young people have exhausted their sense of humour -- in matters of school discipline, parents are clearly taking their children's side. Presumably, they're doing this because their own parents -- the grandparents -- broke the ancient contract between schools, parents and children.

This contract ran as follows. Whatever happened in school stayed in school. Whatever happened at home stayed at home. The idea of a school calling in one's parents because of some disciplinary problem was like some ghastly educational Hitler-Stalin pact. Such a humiliation is nearly the nadir of shame, which actually very few people have ever seen. I, however, have. It was irresistibly and irrevocably achieved at my school by the boy in skintight togs who, in front of hundreds of parents, including his own, got a thunderously massive erection while standing alone on the starting block for the 100 yards butterfly.

That calamity aside, the sense of shame that your parents had been called in for discussions about your conduct would, once upon a time, be enough to make you abscond and join the Khmer Rouge. And then there was the small matter of one's father. It's one thing to face the anger of a headmaster: quite another to endure an incandescent paternal wrath that could lay waste to entire cities, and before which even Chancellor Bismarck would have swooned in fear. Running nip and tuck with that in the horror stakes was the disappointment of one's mother. Two emotions: blind terror and crushing guilt. By God, them's the horses to keep a lad on the straight and narrow.

But to judge from what's going on in schools today, there are no such equine incentives to discipline. In one school, pupils hijacked a classroom for a rave, and abusive remarks about teachers were posted on Facebook. Sexual insults about teachers were bandied about in another school. Instead of the culprits being flogged by the headmaster and boiled in oil by their fathers, the parents are now complaining about the "excessive" disciplinary response the schools have taken, which was a mere suspension of some pupils and expulsion of the worst. And actually, the parents' response is just fine, because there's no real problem here: if a school doesn't protect its teachers, soon there'll be no school. No problem.

What else has been going on? A boy is kidnapped in the street, stripped, covered in shaving foam and tied to a pole in a girls' school. (Who owned the kidnap car? Did the driver have a licence? Has he been charged with a criminal offence?) In another school, naked teenage boys ran across a soccer pitch in public. And so on. This is precisely what you can expect from young males. It's why they make good soldiers. It's also why Abraham invented the patriarchy, to control them; not -- as feminists maintain -- to control women. Undisciplined young males are nasty, bullying, aggressive, destructive and vile. That's why society created such a taboo about schools and home uniting in a ghastly and humiliating alliance against a wayward boy. It's to encourage good behaviour.

But that very effective taboo is gone. So too other are taboos. The idea, for example, of a mother driving you to school in her pyjamas properly belongs to some deep and terrible nightmare, from which mental recovery would have been quite impossible for any healthy boy. Firstly, only cissies were driven to school. Everyone else walked or caught the bus. Secondly, for your mother to publicly appear in her night attire would be as ludicrous as her breastfeeding you in the playground during the mid-morning break, before cheerfully inviting your mates to tuck in.

Yet I'm told that the modern mother routinely drives her children to school, if the foregoing verb adequately encompasses the concept of her sitting behind the steering wheel of a car while it is in motion without paying too much attention to what the vehicle is actually doing. Worse still, some mothers perform this feat while wearing pyjamas. Incredibly, it is apparently also normal for the children of such deranged and delinquent mothers NOT to silently get out of the car, walk into the classroom and eviscerate themselves with a blunt compass, in blind and bitter shame.

Frankly, any woman who drives her children to school in nightwear is capable of anything: fornication at half-time under the goalposts with the school's entire first 15, plus the lad with the oranges, no doubt while she helpfully holds the plate over his head, would be the least of it. So, I'm not remotely surprised at what's going in our schools. Yes: I blame the grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

paddyandy wrote: »

It was mean't in the spirit of a "who dunnit" novel or movie.

Sorry teach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

youre taking what i said absolutely out of context,i NEVER ONCE SAID IT WAS OKAY TO KICK SOMEONE TO DEATH AND FACTOR IN 'YOUTH' AS A CONSIDERATION TO A COURT SENTANCE..

POINT OUT WHERE I SAID THAT.

I still stand by what i said they should have been given a chance to redeem themselves,perhaps wash the teachers car for free for a week or do some work related favour in school for free for a few weeks etc.

I do think paedophile comments are out of line,but at least it was acknowledged as false slander,and should have been supsended not expelled.

I stand by that no matter what ****e anybody throws into the mix.

Do not read into things i never said:

I never said it was okay to bully phoebe prince

I never said it was okay to kick someone to death

All i was speaking on was the facebook issue

Thats all folks

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

I still stand by what i said they should have been given a chance to redeem themselves,perhaps wash the teachers car for free for a week or do some work related favour in school for free for a few weeks etc.

I do think paedophile comments are out of line,but at least it was acknowledged as false slander,and should have been supsended not expelled.

I'm really not sure if you are delusional or just stupid. Who in their right mind would want to give some bully a punishment of washing their car for a week for what is nothing short of slander and a possibility of permanent damage to their reputation?

That is one of the biggest problems with today's punishments, they are too light and half hearted. 'Ah sure he's a grand fellow and his parents are so nice, ah sure he didn't mean it. It was only a bit of fun or a joke.'
    'Ah sure just get him to wash his teachers car, that'll surely make up for possibly ruining his teachers career. All will be forgotten anyway.'

**** off would ya!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I remember a school rumours page on bebo had hundreds of posts like this some were true and others were just stupid. Kids should be made aware of the affect of something like this before being expelled over a few online words. They probably have had worse things said about themselves online and just shrug it off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I still stand by what i said they should have been given a chance to redeem themselves,perhaps wash the teachers car for free for a week

It doesn't take a week to wash a car, even for one of today's schoolgoers. besides, teachers have enough perks as it is. Why should they get free car washes as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ithinkimcute

Parents should do something about Cyber-bullying. Parents should have access to all of their childs' accounts to make sure their online activities are safe and productive. Cyber-bullying is a bad habit that needs to be broken. If parents don't address this habit, their kids will end up in trouble with the law in the future.

I hope these kids have learned their lessons and find how a simple bullying can ruin not just another person’s life but also theirs as well. I’m sure parents who may have had the same problems with their kids regarding school expulsion are unsure about what to do and where to start. Here are options that they can consider to help them further after an expulsion hearing.

Advertisement