Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tbh wrote: »
    So heard from the guard today - she rang the owner of the suspected car, who is coming into the station today at 5pm. fingers crossed we're in the endgame now!

Might have spoken too soon. Other driver reported to the Garda station today at five, denied she hit us. The guard told us she's been given ten days to produce her documentation. She also told me she'd inspected her car and there was evidence of recent damage exactly where we expected it to be. The guard is heading to blanch tomorrow to review the CCTV. I asked her if she thought the other driver was the right person and the guard said she knows the other driver is lying and she expected it to go to court. I asked if she had insurance and the guard said she [other driver] had avoided the question, and we had to wait the ten days. She also said we could just ring the insurance company tomorrow and give them the guards name.

So anybody any clue what happens now? I'm assuming the guard believes that the other driver is the driver responsible, but is the guards opinion enough? Do we have to wait until it goes to court? I really want to get the car fixed and don't see why I should have to claim off my own insurance and lose my NCB. the fecking cheeky bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Cheeky bitch is right, unbelievable how far some people are willing to go. But she'll be well f***ed over by the courts if she's found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi tbh.

Wait the ten days and see what happens.

This could get messy though and briefly financially annoying.

If it turns out that she doesn't have insurance then you will need to claim via the MIBI. Your own insurer will do this for you and act as an agent for the MIBI. MIBI can be slow getting the ball rolling though.

Is your vehicle fully driveable and safe ?

If she is insured and she is denying liability then it will go to her Insurer.

If they admit liability (which they can do without her consent) then happy days, they can fix your car and your crowd can close their claim now.

If they don't admit liability and you are COMP then you can claim via your policy for the repairs to your vehicle. You can then wait while your insurer pursues her insurer for the costs involved (subrogation of their outlay) which they will do in your name.

The downside to this is that until such time that your insurer recovers costs, your insurance policy is going to be highly inflated due to an open claim and no NCB. This will all be refunded to you if they get their money back. Also you will be tied to your current insurer until it settles as nobody will take you with an open claim.

If the Gardai are happy with the CCTV (and for the love of god make sure those numb nuts in Blanch keep the disc) then they can take it to their file and the Insurers can potentially access it under the RTA. But that's time consuming.

Mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

So heard from the guard today - she rang the owner of the suspected car, who is coming into the station today at 5pm. fingers crossed we're in the endgame now!

Could ask the guard if that woman is an boardsie......you might have banned them at sometime and they just getting revenge lol.

Seriously tho, have been watching this and have fingers and toes crossed that it works out for ya. And I'm sure that like the rest of the people here I wish you the best......and if we ever find the witness, lots of beer will be bought for them :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hi tbh.

If it turns out that she doesn't have insurance then you will need to claim via the MIBI. Your own insurer will do this for you and act as an agent for the MIBI. MIBI can be slow getting the ball rolling though.

If she is insured and she is denying liability then it will go to her Insurer.

If they admit liability (which they can do without her consent) then happy days, they can fix your car and your crowd can close their claim now.

If they don't admit liability and you are COMP then you can claim via your policy for the repairs to your vehicle. You can then wait while your insurer pursues her insurer for the costs involved (subrogation of their outlay) which they will do in your name.

The downside to this is that until such time that your insurer recovers costs, your insurance policy is going to be highly inflated due to an open claim and no NCB. This will all be refunded to you if they get their money back. Also you will be tied to your current insurer until it settles as nobody will take you with an open claim.

If the Gardai are happy with the CCTV (and for the love of god make sure those numb nuts in Blanch keep the disc) then they can take it to their file and the Insurers can potentially access it under the RTA. But that's time consuming.

Mugs

I was hit in a classic car by an uninsured driver Mugs. Got her reg. as she did a hit and run - MIBI claim etc. I stayed in touch with the claims handling co. weekly, and we had a cheque to cover all costs within about 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hit her for everything you can, OP, best possible standard of repair, hire car and maybe a little extra for the inconvenience. People like that deserve no mercy whatsoever.

I was hit in a classic car by an uninsured driver Mugs. Got her reg. as she did a hit and run - MIBI claim etc. I stayed in touch with the claims handling co. weekly, and we had a cheque to cover all costs within about 3 months.

3 Months? I'd hound the living daylights out of them after month 1 ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hit her for everything you can, OP, best possible standard of repair, hire car and maybe a little extra for the inconvenience. People like that deserve no mercy whatsoever.

I would be of the same opinion but when our car was hit years ago, we were worried that we could end up covering the costs if other driver argued the case. So, we did without a car until repair was ok'd by the insurance company.

Other driver was good enough to accept fault and did not complain when we got the car repaired by a very good repairer. Cost more but when it was sold on, the repair was mentioned by us but you could'nt see it and the garage gave us full price it was worth.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hi tbh.

thanks Mugs, that's really helpful. Car is fine, it's only cosmetic damage, but it is ugly. Policy runs till December, so hopefully everything will be sorted by then, and there's no issue with trying to move or anything. Insurance company have been really helpful in fairness.

I'm not sure how it works, the impression I got was that if she is insured, her insurance company will repair the car so it's not for me to say how much it costs etc. Funny thing is, I reversed into my neighbours car just before christmas - difference being, I let him know and paid in cash for the repairs the very next day! If it's down to be, it's going back to the dealership, I'll get a quote for repair and replacement car while it's in, and she'll get the total. I'll give her five days to hand me the cash, otherwise I'm just going through her insurance.

The guard seemed to think she's not insured, which means I've a e300 excess to handle - not ideal, but could be a lot worse. If they assign liability to her at least I keep my NCB.

Side note - i dropped the witness a text to let her know what was happening and she replied "that lying bitch!"

thanks again lads, I'll keep ye in the loop. Will give the insurance crowd a ring tomorrow and let you know what they say

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

does this count as a hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident?
    I would have thought so.
    I asked her if she thought the other driver was the right person and the guard said she knows the other driver is lying and she expected it to go to court. I asked if she had insurance and the guard said she [other driver] had avoided the question, and we had to wait the ten days. She also said we could just ring the insurance company tomorrow and give them the guards name.

So anybody any clue what happens now? I'm assuming the guard believes that the other driver is the driver responsible, but is the guards opinion enough? Do we have to wait until it goes to court? I really want to get the car fixed and don't see why I should have to claim off my own insurance and lose my NCB. the fecking cheeky bitch!
    I can understand you wanting to do something but you have to presume that the garda will not stand over any discussion between the two of you and will wait to review the video. Also, IMO were it to go to court, what the garda believes in this situation wouldn't hold much water.

Lastly, if it turns out that the woman is indeed uninsured, I would first try and go through the MIBI (http://mibi.ie/) rather than through your own insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Only catching up on this now!! The horror:(

Best of luck catching her - thank God for the witness:)

Unbelievable what cheek some people have....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

With CCTV and a independent witness if she does have insurance they won't fight it. She might be stupid, but they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i had a accident in a car park years ago which in my opinion wasnt my fault and i tried to fight it, my insurance company said, sorry weve looked at the info and in our opinion it was your fault, end of story, you loose, hopefully if this bitch is insured they will see it like this aswell !!!! oooooooo the anger of it all!!!! nothing worse,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Might have spoken too soon. Other driver reported to the Garda station today at five, denied she hit us. The guard told us she's been given ten days to produce her documentation.

I don't get the ten days part. If an arrangement was made for her to go into the station today at 5pm, why wasn't she told to bring her documentation in with her? Wouldn't that make sense & save a lot of hassle? Either she has a valid drivers license and proof of insurance, or she doesn't.

Why give her 10 days to produce them? I can find mine in 5 minutes. The delay gives her breathing room to get the tell tale dings on her car taken care of. That could muddy the waters if the case goes to court. It also give the OP 10 days of additional stress & worry. I am new to driving in Ireland. Is giving people 10 days to produce documentation standard?

Agree with everyone else. Throw the bloody book at the beeotch !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Interesting case. I'd almost wager €5 the jeep driver denies everything. Fair play to your witness though.
    Might have spoken too soon. Other driver reported to the Garda station today at five, denied she hit us. !

LOL Henry, you should have made that more than a fiver !

Btw OP, whilst it will take a while, I think you have the bones of a good case for the other party's insurance to stump up for this.

Many moons ago, my car was torpedoe'd by an uninsured driver, in the UK. Very, very annoying.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

so, one more little update for today. Spoke to the insurance guy this morning. He says that the claim can be processed as soon as the guards decided to launch a prosecution (guard last night seemed fairly sure that would happen, even without seeing the CCTV) - we don't have to wait for a conviction. He also said we can sue in the small claims court to get the excess back - I think I will do that, even if I never get the money, it's the principle.

Assessor coming out today to take a look. I doubt I'll hear anything else now before the ten days are up (somehow I think she won't be dropping any docs in before the deadline) - hopefully it'll just be a case of - ten days elapse, no word, guards prosecute, tbh gets paid.

You can also pursue any other uninsured losses like car hire with your excess.

Hope it works out
    Mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fair play to you man. When I grow up, I want to be just like you! :D

Keep us posted!

Fair play to you man. When I grow up, I want to be just like you! :D

Keep us posted!

work hard and eat your greens :pac: cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

as someone else said..if they want to play this game, dont do them any favours on costs! Good luck on getting sorted and deffo keep us in the loop!

I hope it wasnt the solid gold diamond encrusted side of the car the person hit..that could get expensive for them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

as someone else said..if they want to play this game, dont do them any favours on costs! Good luck on getting sorted and deffo keep us in the loop!

I hope it wasnt the solid gold diamond encrusted side of the car the person hit..that could get expensive for them ;)

a neighbour hit the girlfriends car and refused to contact her insurance company or talk to them. Garda were involved. Due to all the hassle and time wasting from the nieghbour the girlfriend decided that instead of going to the panel beater direct as she had done before to save money she would send the car to Nissan instead, get the door replaced and got a rental car that sat outside the house for the day the car was getting repaired.

a neighbour hit the girlfriends car and refused to contact her insurance company or talk to them. Garda were involved. Due to all the hassle and time wasting from the nieghbour the girlfriend decided that instead of going to the panel beater direct as she had done before to save money she would send the car to Nissan instead, get the door replaced and got a rental car that sat outside the house for the day the car was getting repaired.

Car is deffo going to the dealers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This thread is better than watching "The Bill" :D

If you decide to bring out a film of this can i play a part in it, even if its just one of the car dealers maybe , oooorrrrr if i dress up as a woman can i play the lady that drove off !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Has she been told you have cctv proof? If so did she still deny it was her? I hope she gets what she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

fair play OP. you've a fair band of boardsies rooting for you. i'm sure that most of us have fallen victim to similar instances. i remember returning to my parked car to see the below attachment - no note, no witness, just a spitefully angry teal. that was in the middle of bangor's marina carpark on a busy, sunny day. it might not look like much but i kept that car in pristine condition.

screw this biznich for all us unlucky motorists.

Once you get the CCTV footage and all the paperwork is done and dusted, post that bitch on Youtube (and don't forget to share that link with us!)
    And instead of a poxy hire car, have you considered a limo?
    That is if you can't get away with hiring a chopper.

Once you get the CCTV footage and all the paperwork is done and dusted, post that bitch on Youtube (and don't forget to share that link with us!)

would love to, but they'll only give it to the guards unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

These situations do end well sometimes, good to hear of another case of someone having to take responsibility for their actions.

would love to, but they'll only give it to the guards unfortunately..

That sucks. Should be made available to you or your solicitor too, just in case there are more denials coming from her.
    Ask the Gards maybe.

• Advertisement

Has she been told you have cctv proof? If so did she still deny it was her? I hope she gets what she deserves.

I'm guessing the guard didn't say anything until she'd seen it herself, jic it wasn't her in the CCTV. Hopefully she'll get it today.

Advertisement