Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlimited Calls, texts and data. Half price. Emobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Yes they have a new sim only plan offering exactly the same as the f&f package http://www.emobile.ie/non-eircom-customer-sim-only-plans/.

I'm on the f&f package myself and now that people are mentioning it I have noticed my internet speeds a bit patchy over the last while. I've changed to the new plan now though when upgrading to the iPhone 6 (unlimited + 5gb of 4g data) so will be interesting to see what that's like speed wise. I'll be in the old plan another week though as it will change with the billing cycle.

It's still a bit crappy, considering people were able to get an iphone for circa €200 on the f&f plan. I think the last upgrade I got was iphone 5, costing me €300 for the 32GB model.

Although I managed negotiate down from 18 months to 12 months. Not that it matters. I'm out of contract now and I am in no rush to upgrade, due to the silly cost involved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thinking about getting this plan but just wondering if it's for existing customers? Also how much did the phone cost you?

You need to be an Eircom customer

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

0.67Mbps. Thats what I just got. Haven't gotten over a MB in 2 months. I've 3 numbers on my account. Might be cheaper just to shift networks at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Least I know I'm not alone with the poor speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

BArra wrote: »
    I've tried it across cork and county connecting to various masts in good areas. I have an app called open signal that tells me what masts I'm connected to and distance from. Tried indoors, outdoors, during week, during weekend. Places I could stream YouTube no longer let me due to speed or lack there of.

Are you using the Eircom APN or meteor APN? Are you both on the original 34.50 select unlimited plan still?

My speed tests months ago are in stark contrast to what I'm getting now. Nothing has changed on my phone.

And yes I believe emobile want people off this plan, it was introduced to gain market share. They raised the price of upgrades and even try to sell you off the plan with alternatives

Interesting, but I would still have to edge towards the cause of your problems being technical rather then a business strategy. Weather, hardware problems, bandwidth limitations/routing, phone being used etc.

I haven't really been following this thread, but I'm on the €32 a month sim only plan, 10000 texts, 10000 minutes and 15gigs data limit, been on it for I think about two years now.

• Advertisement

That's a different plan to the original. And others above are stating the same problems I am having. So the issue is not completely isolated it seems

Thinking about getting this plan but just wondering if it's for existing customers? Also how much did the phone cost you?

199 euro for a 16gb iPhone 6, you need to be an eircom customer or know someone who is willing to let you link to their account.
    godtabh wrote: »
    You need to be an Eircom customer

Well you don't need to be a customer yourself but you need to link it to an eircom account. I'm using my parents account for instance. It means the eircom account holder must re-sign up to a 24 month contract also though so that needs to be kept in mind (not an issue for my parents as they won't be changing provider).
    goz83 wrote: »
    It's still a bit crappy, considering people were able to get an iphone for circa €200 on the f&f plan. I think the last upgrade I got was iphone 5, costing me €300 for the 32GB model.

Although I managed negotiate down from 18 months to 12 months. Not that it matters. I'm out of contract now and I am in no rush to upgrade, due to the silly cost involved.

I paid 300 for an iPhone 4S on the f&f plan so it wasn't quite as cheap as you are saying. It's actually quite cheap to upgrade if you are happy with 5gb of data and move to the new plan, costing me less to get the iPhone 6 than it cost to get the 4s and the 4s was replaced with the 5 two months after I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'm getting very poor 3G speeds for a while now too. There must be a problem with this deal...?

I'm in a city centre location and have excellent coverage, if fact there is (I checked via ComReg siteviewer) a meteor/emobile mast about 20 meters from my current location now and I tested outside several times and several different hours.

Always never get above 0.7Mbit, upload varies but is fine for 3G.

UPDATE: Just went and got a free replacement SIM at a nearby eMobile store, back up to 6-7Mbit/sec now.

Happy out. The guy said there might be a bunch of older SIM cards that have a fault with them somewhere as I wasn't the first customer on billpay to have this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Anyone know what price an upgrade to Iphone 5 or 5s is now that the 6 is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Or how much for an upgrade to galaxy s 5? Or other decent smartphone.

• Advertisement

I'm getting very poor 3G speeds for a while now too. There must be a problem with this deal...?

I'm in a city centre location and have excellent coverage, if fact there is (I checked via ComReg siteviewer) a meteor/emobile mast about 20 meters from my current location now and I tested outside several times and several different hours.

Always never get above 0.7Mbit, upload varies but is fine for 3G.

UPDATE: Just went and got a free replacement SIM at a nearby eMobile store, back up to 6-7Mbit/sec now.

Happy out. The guy said there might be a bunch of older SIM cards that have a fault with them somewhere as I wasn't the first customer on billpay to have this issue.

What phone do you have, is it a HTC by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

toby2111 wrote: »
    Or how much for an upgrade to galaxy s 5? Or other decent smartphone.

Could be wrong but from what i've heard

Samsung s5 €99
    iPhone 6 €299
    Sony Z3 €149

Nothing worth getting a 24month contract for imo

bidiots wrote: »

I'm on the friends and family deal.Last time I upgraded, I got the s3 on 18 month contract,which was my original contract length so I'd imagine the same applies this time around. S5 for €99 on 18 month contract,paying €34.50 a month is not bad. Is there better offers out there for the S5??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I was on that deal but discovered that I don't use that much data, WiFi access is growing by the day.
    I changed to the 24pm, 30 day contact. 4G speed and I still only use a couple of gig per month. So to move to a 24 month contract(24 x6months & 39x18 months) I would need a very high end device for very little money up front.
    So maybe the Note4 or 6plus, otherwise not really worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I'm on this plan with emobile for over 12 months now and have no issue with speed.

Results just now on a nexus 4

Download: 18.54 Mbps | Upload: 1.14 Mbps | Ping: 126 ms

Just another update on the poor 3G speeds.

Unfortunately the speeds have returned to the crap ones after the new SIM was installed. I think I was getting good speeds in the emobile shop due to them having a femtocell/picocell which boosts the mobile data speeds when in range. Customer care confirmed that they have these devices in the shops.

TLDR: This 3G speed issue has not been resolved by a new SIM.

I'm running Cyangenmod 11, maybe the radio firmware for me is fecked with this ROM but I don't think that's the issue if it's happening to others too who are unlikely to have the exact same configuration as myself

Case opened with customer care....won't be crossing my fingers though.

I will raise a thread with emobile here on boards too, please join in with your problem as it may help getting it resolved with them.

contribute to the thread on the emobile.ie community forum on the internet on your phone forum, there are a couple of threads regarding rubbish 3g speed on there.

emobile barely look at the eircom forum on here

Sh1te it looks like they aren't interested.

I don't want to move from this particular tariff, but may have to unless they can resolve it.

bidiots wrote: »
    Could be wrong but from what i've heard

Samsung s5 €99
    iPhone 6 €299
    Sony Z3 €149

The 16gb iPhone 6 is 199. The eMobile 24 month contract is pretty close to the cheapest way to get an iPhone 6. With the eircom account discount works out at 1040 over 24 months.
    I'm on the friends and family deal.Last time I upgraded, I got the s3 on 18 month contract,which was my original contract length so I'd imagine the same applies this time around. S5 for €99 on 18 month contract,paying €34.50 a month is not bad. Is there better offers out there for the S5??

They have significantly increased the price of upgrades on that plan so don't expect to get it so cheap this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

The 16gb iPhone 6 is 199. The eMobile 24 month contract is pretty close to the cheapest way to get an iPhone 6. With the eircom account discount works out at 1040 over 24 months.

They have significantly increased the price of upgrades on that plan so don't expect to get it so cheap this time around.

Carphone Warehouse quoted me €419 for an iphone 6 as an upgrade on this plan - I laughed

I've been out of contract over 6 months now and seriously considering moving to 3 where I could get the phone for €229 for an extra €5 a month. Data would still be unlimited and I'd imagine the talk and text in the bundle would be as much as I currently use with emobile anyway and - could be wrong - 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I moved last year as I found emobile impossible to deal with in regards to upgrading, after ringing and being quoted a price, it would be gone up because it was a new calendar month. They were dickheads. I moved to a three business plan and I couldnt be happier and it's cheaper

loopymum wrote: »
    I moved to a three business plan and I couldnt be happier and it's cheaper
    Can anyone move to that business plan? Or do I need a VAT number or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can anyone move to that business plan? Or do I need a VAT number or something?

Having a VAT No is the easiest way, but you will have to prove to them that you're in business. You should also note that that 3 plan requires a minimum of 2 phones on the tarriff.

Saturday is when my contract finishes so they told me to ring then to see about an upgrade. This plan(f&f) is really good value so would like to stay on it but don't want to spend(nor do I have) big money to get new phone. Might just wait until end of year or early next year and hope S5 price drops. Or go SIM only and save for a One Plus One.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

my friend got the htc one m8 for €29 and another 18 month contract in the cpw if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

terencemc wrote: »
    my friend got the htc one m8 for €29 and another 18 month contract in the cpw if that helps

Hi terencemc, What plan was that? Hardly the eMobile 34.50/month ("Eircom customer") unlimited everything (15GB) plan was it?

Been looking for a reasonably priced HTC M8 on a decent tariff, but haven't found one!

Where's all these price drops I was expecting after the iPhone 6 announcement!? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Yep the same original plan - 15gb, unlimited calls and texts.

terencemc wrote: »
    That's seems like a great deal. Do CPW normally offer better deals than by directly going to providers? Didn't think that would be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

Just a note on this speed issue from my point of view.

The speed does not seem to be plan specific. I moved to a work emobile corporate offer. Around the same price but for a bit more including roaming and some roaming data.

The speed in my house collapsed a few months ago and also around work. The new plan has 4G so work is covered in 4G which solves my problem.

Home is still on 3G and rubbish compared to earlier in the year, but I can live with it as have wifi.

I tried numerous times to address it with emobile but like banging head off a brick wall.

I live in town outside Dublin and although my house is rubbish, down the town I can still get 15MB/S on 3G. Makes me think it is something mast specific that might be replicated in similar masts here and there.

Advertisement