Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav Maga

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Buffalo19 wrote: »
    Krav is different, it teaches you practical self defence. Most other martial arts are competition based so there is a lot of techniques the that are illegal, attacking the eyes, throat, spinal column, groin ect is banned because of the danger to the opponent. Where as in Krav these areas are the main focus of your attacks.

Must be hard to find people who let you practice attacking their spinal column.
    Gordian wrote: »
    My main reason for wanting to do KM is so I can defend myself, if needed.

Even if you do MMA to a high level, if you find yourself in a fight it's very possible your skills will be not be enough. If someone's significantly bigger, stronger or faster than you, if they are also trained, if they have a weapon, if there's more than one of them, if you don't see them coming - you're going to be in trouble no matter who you are.

A 12-week course is designed to sell you the KM fantasy of a small woman kicking her hulking assailants in the crotch and triumphantly stepping over them on her way. It's unrealistic and dangerous.

You should put thoughts of being a self-defence badass from your mind, try a few martial arts and just pick one you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Time for me to way in here with my big balls and contribute to this testosterone fueled pissing contest.

Thank god. We've been waiting two and a half years for you to get here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Thank god. We've been waiting two and a half years for you to get here.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Time for me to way in here with my big balls and contribute to this testosterone fueled pissing contest.

Let me start by saying I have been training for over 30 years in MA's. Boxing,Judo, Kenpo Karate,Ninjitsu, Aikido and Taiji.

If you want get fit and are competitive, boxing, Judo are fantastic.

If you want to be 'balanced' and find inner calm Taiji and Aikido

Improve you kicking and learn some good grappling Ninjitsu and Kenpo.

Seriously?
    You've 30 years martial arts experience and you reccomend ninjitsu and kenpo for somebody to learn grappling??????

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    You've 30 years martial arts experience and you reccomend ninjitsu and kenpo for somebody to learn grappling??????

Yeah that set off the nonsense alarm for me too. "Judo is for fitness and ninjitsu for grappling" :rolleyes:

Mentioned lots of very different martial arts, with no indication of time in each. Most of them sound useless. Empty air punches isnt boxing. If you can defend yourself after 30 years grappling, then your training wasn't very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As for Krav Maga.
    Some of it "works" - to use the terms lightly - in the sense that its still punching, kicking and moving etc. But that's where the positives end imo. After that its essentially choreographed nonsense like the rest. You should really question anybody whose main marketing tactic is to mislead. The reason boxing, muay thai, MMA, BJJ, wrestling, judo, etc are effective is that they are consistently practiced with a resisting opponent. If it doesn't work wit ha resisting opponent, it useless.

The argument that these arts are bound by their sporting rules, whereas is free to implement illegal techniques is possibly the dumbest part of the whole lot.

Advertisement