Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav Maga

Options
  • 10-05-2012 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has done the 12 week (or weekend) Krav Maga course recently ? If so, was it good ? I'm thinking of doing this myself and just wondering what people thought of it. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What do you hope to get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gordian

I'd like to be able to feel that I would be able to defend myself agianst a random person if I was ever attacked in the street. I suppose like fire insurance, I hope I would never need it, but I'd like to have just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Gordian wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to feel that I would be able to defend myself agianst a random person if I was ever attacked in the street. I suppose like fire insurance, I hope I would never need it, but I'd like to have just in case.

Perfect reason. KM is a fantastic self defence system. There is no ritualistic nonsense, very effective.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I did a course, and I was so impressed that I pushed my girlfriend to do one as well. They didn't just teach the technique, but a frame of mind as well.
    They had some sort of boxing/fitness class going as well, and I can promise you that anyone who sticks to it will get seriously fit. I was in bits afterwards - in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I have done the weekend course and also some of the 12 week stuff. I found the 12 week course to be very effective, teaches new skills and also changes your mindset. I recommend it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies. That sounds like the course I want to do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Did it with a friend last year, both of us thought it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

This thread is quite interesting. If you started it in the martial arts and self defence forum, you would have gotten a much different response.

Can I ask the people who thought it was effective why they think it's effective?

This thread is quite interesting. If you started it in the martial arts and self defence forum, you would have gotten a much different response.

Can I ask the people who thought it was effective why they think it's effective?

Let's not go into the whole "which martial art is best" discussion as its been done to death. However I learnt A LOT on the course. It completely changed my outlook on safety issues, and even if I only remember a 1 or 2 survival techniques, I genuinely think it will be worth it.

This is what I learnt:
    -Be smart and don't get yourself in trouble
    -If you do, run fast.
    -Run faster
    -If you end up in a fight, act as if you are fighting for your life. As far as you know it could very well be the case.
    -As soon as you can get away, run.

Pretty good lesson.

I'm not sure if I did answer your qustion after all that, so in summary:
    You learn to be more streetsmart, you get fitter physically. Mentally, it forces you to come to terms with the kind of things you may have to do if you want to survive ( 't ain't pretty).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at tbh.

It's only after training with fully resisting oppoents 3-4x per week for the guts of 12 months that I'd feel confident against someone of equal size and no training exp, if it came to that.

I don't think 12 weekends of drilling would have the same effect at all.

Nobody is really saying why they think it's effective. If someone said they went on a lifting course and it was effective, they could quote their increased DL/squat/bench numbers, if they went on a weight loss course they could say how much they lost.

Saying "I went on this course, it was effective because they taught us effective techniques" doesn't tell us anything. The techniques are effective because...?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

I went to a Krav Maga class once, not sure if it was just a bad teacher or not but it seemed to be an hour and a half of lads kicking each other in the nuts.
    Effective I suppose but didnt really seem like a martial art, I'm sure theres more to it than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

OP, krav maga has a poor reputation largely due to the marketing methods it often employs and it's use of military mystique, much as many martial arts used the Asian mystique in the past. I have met many people who have done krav maga courses over the years and very few have even the most fundamental skills of fighting, in my experience.

To expand your fire analogy, to me, short krav maga courses are more like moving into a house with a fire alarm and not checking the battery. It might make you feel more secure but it may or may not work when you need it most.

My advice would be to sign up for a white collar boxing match. You'll get 8-12 weeks of training and a match at the end. You'll learn what it's actually like to hit and be hit, and the adrenaline of fighting,in a controlled situation. After that if you still fancy a krav maga course you'll be better able to sort the wheat from the chaff. Other than that most non-physical self-defence is common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

If you are going to do a KM course, make sure its with Patrick Cumisky. There are a lot of copy cat classes which aren't great.

I did the weekend course and later did the advanced weekend course.
    I thought the fighting techniques were very effective.
    I'll give one example, I did kick boxing for a few years, so if the situation arose, I would punch at the face with a closed fist.
    KM teaches striking with the bottom of the palm of your hand (in a jab not hook motion) and charging at the person at the same time. I've used this technique and had it done to me and it is horrible. This also reduces the possibility of injuring yourself (broken knickles).

If you are going to do a KM course, make sure its with Patrick Cumisky. There are a lot of copy cat classes which aren't great.
    In fairness this is a factional thing and the other groups would probably tell you to avoid Cumisky for pretty much the same reasons. Cumisky is the guy who concentrates on short courses though isn't he?
    I'll give one example, I did kick boxing for a few years, so if the situation arose, I would punch at the face with a closed fist.
    KM teaches striking with the bottom of the palm of your hand (in a jab not hook motion) and charging at the person at the same time. I've used this technique and had it done to me and it is horrible. This also reduces the possibility of injuring yourself (broken knickles).
    So in the course of 4 days you've unlearned years of kick-boxing training? Also in what context have you used the palm strike technique it and had it used on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

In fairness this is a factional thing and the other groups would probably tell you to avoid Cumisky for pretty much the same reasons. Cumisky is the guy who concentrates on short courses though isn't he?

So in the course of 4 days you've unlearned years of kick-boxing training? Also in what context have you used the palm strike technique it and had it used on you?

I highly doubt anyone teaching KM in Ireland would tell you to avoid Patrick Cumisky.
    I saw someone giving KM classes in a gym I used to go to on Bridge Street, it was just kicking and punching pads. Not KM as I know it at all.

I certainly didn't "unlearn" my kickboxing training. There are rules to kickboxing, there aren't rules when someone attacks you. They are 2 different sets of skills for 2 different situations.
    KM teaches striking areas which not allowed in kickboxing.

I used the palm strike on an agressive junkie/scumbag in town who started out asking for a smoke and progressed to shouting/threatening me.

I had it done to me both in KM training and by a friend (not full force as we were just messing with each other) but it is still horrible.

Sounds like in general people think Krav Maga is worthwhile. I doubt I have anything to lose by doing the 12 week course.

Sounds like in general people think Krav Maga is worthwhile. I doubt I have anything to lose by doing the 12 week course.
    You have your time and money to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Oink wrote: »
    Let's not go into the whole "which martial art is best" discussion as its been done to death. However I learnt A LOT on the course. It completely changed my outlook on safety issues, and even if I only remember a 1 or 2 survival techniques, I genuinely think it will be worth it.

This is what I learnt:
    -Be smart and don't get yourself in trouble
    -If you do, run fast.
    -Run faster
    -If you end up in a fight, act as if you are fighting for your life. As far as you know it could very well be the case.
    -As soon as you can get away, run.

Pretty good lesson.
    Strauss once said that you can't teach somebody something they already know. Apparently not only was he wrong, but you can also charge money to teach somebody something they already know.

I could tell you the story of me sparring a guy who wanted to test his Krav Maga skills and tried to detach my scrotum, but it doesn't end very well and doubtless I'll sound like the scumbag by the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What martial art would people recommend for self defense?

Learn how to box, thai box, and wrestle. Knowing a standing submission or two won't hurt either. Most of all though, do it regularly and with a high emphasis on sparring and physical conditioning. Don't dress in women's clothing and hang around in bars. Then you'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Learn how to box, thai box, and wrestle. Knowing a standing submission or two won't hurt either. Most of all though, do it regularly and with a high emphasis on sparring and physical conditioning. Don't dress in women's clothing and hang around in bars. Then you'll be okay.

NO DEAL! :mad:

Yes, I potentially have my time and money to lose. However, that is the case with a lot of things in life. You can only check up on something beforehand and make a decision on that basis. That could apply to any other sport or self defence system too.

It's very difficult to give an objective answer to this question. All I know is that fighting ability is a physical skill and as such is not something you will pick up in 18 hours of training. You need several hours of directed practice a week if you're going to see any significant improvement.

By directed practice, I mean some form of practice that is close to the thing you want to improve, and that you can make some kind of measurement of how much you're improving at it. In judo for example this is going to include performing throws while being assessed for form, performing throws while moving and ultimately performing throws against a resisting opponent who is trying to do the same against you. (Not that I really consider judo to be fighting, but this is just an example of directed practice.) The resisting opponent element is pretty much the key to any of the styles that are considered to produce effective fighters.

The other big issue is that fighting is only a small part of self defence. A major part is avoiding activities that can get you in trouble, recognising danger, being appropriately assertive, negotiating etc. Most of this stuff is pretty basic and I don't think you need a course to tell you about it, and the stuff that isn't basic is just something you have to learn form the school of hard knocks.

Yes, I potentially have my time and money to lose. However, that is the case with a lot of things in life. You can only check up on something beforehand and make a decision on that basis. That could apply to any other sport or self defence system too.

Okay then. Riddle me this.

Why do you want to do it? I've already written on this a whole bunch so I'll shamelessly link my own website here:

http://grapplerman.com/2012/03/13/self-defence-for-dummies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I could tell you the story of me sparring a guy who wanted to test his Krav Maga skills and tried to detach my scrotum, but it doesn't end very well and doubtless I'll sound like the scumbag by the end of it.

+1

My main reason for wanting to do KM is so I can defend myself, if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

My main reason for wanting to do KM is so I can defend myself, if needed.

I'd say to join an athletics club and improve your sprinting then.

I'd say if you really want to learn to defend yourself, do what the more experienced guys here have recommended.

Take up boxing, full contact kick boxing, thai boxing, bjj, or some form of wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If you can't get away **** your pants and rub it all over yourself, no one will touch you then

Advertisement