Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav Maga

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

This is actually interesting. If someone asked if Pilates was good to 'tone up' or 'get fit' or another vague slightly self-contradictory statement how would they be received on this forum? on the self-defence and martial arts forum they'd probably be told pilates is fine.

but on this forum, someone would say either pilates doesn't really sound like it's the solution to your problem, there are other things to consider or maybe it actually is.

When people say 'want to defend myself' want to be 'feel safer' alarm bells go off because I have an inkling that person doesn't really get it.

If someone told you, you could do pilates for 4 weeks and be fit for life you'd laugh in their face. Why don't you laugh in someone's face when they tell you you can do 4 weekends of Krav and be fit for life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

JJayoo wrote: »
    If you can't get away **** your pants and rub it all over yourself, no one will touch you then

Maybe not junkies as they're covered in it already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If someone told you, you could do pilates for 4 weeks and be fit for life you'd laugh in their face. Why don't you laugh in someone's face when they tell you you can do 4 weekends of Krav and be fit for life?

Yeah that's about it. I don't have any issues with KM other than the quality control. The issue is people claiming that a short course is going to make such a significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

This is actually interesting. If someone asked if Pilates was good to 'tone up' or 'get fit' or another vague slightly self-contradictory statement how would they be received on this forum? on the self-defence and martial arts forum they'd probably be told pilates is fine.

but on this forum, someone would say either pilates doesn't really sound like it's the solution to your problem, there are other things to consider or maybe it actually is.

When people say 'want to defend myself' want to be 'feel safer' alarm bells go off because I have an inkling that person doesn't really get it.

No one said it makes you fit for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

The how to survive the 5 most critical seconds of your life book by Larkin (banned yesterday from entering the UK) is worth a read.
    Don't use violennce for anti-social behaviour

Interesting point he makes is that most (non criminal) people are not conditioned to use devastating violence without building up to it (shouting, pushing, punching) but that most violent attacks go to level ten immediately without a build up. Says people who are stabbed and police reports about stabbings suggest nobody ever sees a knife and think they were punched

Krav maga is good in teaching a person basically how to hit somebody
    It gets a bit silly later on with the knife and gun defences though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Is the punching in Krav Maga classes fairly full on so students dont freeze in a real life situation or is it more semi/non contact?

Is the punching in Krav Maga classes fairly full on so students dont freeze in a real life situation or is it more semi/non contact?

Semi contact but depends on who you pair off with and yourself. Get someone the same size as yourself and turn it up a notch. You will be covered in bruises after.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Posted on this before. Our club in cork operates at a few different levels. The more advanced/commited students are invited to train on a specific night where the intensity is greater and we spar with boxing gloves and full face helmets.

Wer spend a lot of time drilling with partners and personally speaking I choose partners that'll resist and will go harder on you as It's more likely to enhance your skills IMHO. Having said that a lot of people come and go in KM as they think they'll be machines (no, really they do) after a short while training. Then they spar and work with the more experienced lads and they know where they are. You'd often get asked how long it took to get to your level and people are always suprised at the ammount of time and commitment it takes to become proficient in many of the skills. You need to be commited to trainig to progress.

However to put in in perspective. I train twice a week for 1.5 hours plus work at home. So 200-250 hours a year. Or in a twelve week period 50 hours of Krav; which is not a lot of training in the overall scheme of things. You will do 1.5-2 hours by 12. Which is even less. If you want to dip your toes into the water of KM by all means sign up to the 12 week course and they'll teach you some basics and about situational awareness. You won't be proficient at anything but then again you'll be better of than when you started.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buffalo19

Dont know if Im too late but Ive just started a great one in Rathmines Swan centre, Instructors name is Paul. I've done a lot of martial arts in the past but if you are looking for just straight self defence there is definitely nothing better!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/prokravmaga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Buffalo19 wrote: »
    Dont know if Im too late but Ive just started a great one in Rathmines Swan centre, Instructors name is Paul. I've done a lot of martial arts in the past but if you are looking for just straight self defence there is definitely nothing better!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/prokravmaga

what martial arts have you done previously ?

what's so good about this one, that makes it so good that there is nothing better ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Imagine if you're attacker knew Krav Maga too. Be like that scene out of Transformers where they destroy an entire city.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Hanley wrote: »
    Imagine if you're attacker knew Krav Maga too. Be like that scene out of Transformers where they destroy an entire city.

I actually lol'd at this. A random mugging would turn into a fight scene from the Borne Identity.

Michael 09 wrote: »
    I actually lol'd at this. A random mugging would turn into a fight scene from the Borne Identity.

..I think that's what happened in The Matrix.

what martial arts have you done previously ?

what's so good about this one, that makes it so good that there is nothing better ?
    I have done Muay Thai for three years, competed and taught the sport. I am also currently doing BJJ and wrestling in order to try my hand at MMA.

Krav is different, it teaches you practical self defence. Most other martial arts are competition based so there is a lot of techniques the that are illegal, attacking the eyes, throat, spinal column, groin ect is banned because of the danger to the opponent. Where as in Krav these areas are the main focus of your attacks.

It really depends on what your goal is, if all you want is to learn how to defend yourself in the event of someone attacking you on the street then Krav is the only way to go in my opinion, but if you want to get properly fit, compete in tournaments or pit your skill against other then it wouldnt be ideal.

There are positives to all Martial arts and to be honest if your become skilled at any of them you will be better than 95% of the people you come across on the street.

Gordian wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to feel that I would be able to defend myself agianst a random person if I was ever attacked in the street. I suppose like fire insurance, I hope I would never need it, but I'd like to have just in case.
    @dantheman this is the reason I recommended KM, literately because of this post, I am a Muay thai man through and through but it is a tough sport that takes a lot of commitment same as MMA if you want to be anyway good, where as Gordian just seems to want it as a "just in case" thing like kempo you could never use it in the ring but is extremely destructive when faced with a mugger or some drunk idiot who just wants to smash your face in.

There is a lot of work done with controlled aggression and the best defence is a good offence in most of these cases

Buffalo19 wrote: »
    There is a lot of work done with controlled aggression and the best defence is a good offence in most of these cases

That is extremely worrying.

Gordian wrote: »
    Sounds like in general people think Krav Maga is worthwhile. I doubt I have anything to lose by doing the 12 week course.
    This weekend course thing sounds doggie to me. there is no way in hell you can learn to defend yourself in four days, its takes months before you even start to look confident, even a 12 week course should be a stepping stone. The only way to be always good and sharp is to continuously train. Even the most practised hand becomes sloppy after time away from training.

That is extremely worrying.
    In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 money_mad

<Mod snip> Nothing to see here, unless bitterness is quantifiable...</snip>

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

I don't think KM is the answer to anything. Did it for a good while and then moved onto kickboxing and others. KM, to my mind, is just like choreographed dancing.

Even my old mother saw me training with a few lads and told me she thought it would be useless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

So the class starting near me next week is something I should skip?

Someone suggested to me that I learn a martial art or self defence to boost by self confidence/esteem and saw an ad for KM.

Would I be better off with kickboxing or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Oink wrote: »
    This is what I learnt:
    -Be smart and don't get yourself in trouble
    -If you do, run fast.
    -Run faster
    -If you end up in a fight, act as if you are fighting for your life. As far as you know it could very well be the case.
    -As soon as you can get away, run.

Pretty good lesson.

You pay for a 12 week course in common sense?

So the class starting near me next week is something I should skip?

Someone suggested to me that I learn a martial art or self defence to boost by self confidence/esteem and saw an ad for KM.

Would I be better off with kickboxing or something?

You could well gain confidence and esteem. But you won't gain any fighting or self defense ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

You could well gain confidence and esteem. But you won't gain any fighting or self defense ability.

You'll probably be better equipped than if you'd never done any training. You'll learn to punch and kick and elbow. But it's mostly choreographed "moves" that I don't feel will work under pressure. I did KM for quite a while and found it was fun and good exercise, but it was never going to help me defend myself (though at the time i bought into it and felt i was gonna be a fighting machine).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

Hi. I did the 12 week course and found it excellent. I learned loads of self defence moves and techniques that I never knew existed and that I never knew I had in me.
    Incidentally, I'm surprised at the negativity from the people who have never done Krav Maga. Even bitterness in some cases. What's that all about? If you've never done it, then obviously your opinion on it is kinda worthless don't you think? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ive never done heroin, does that mean i should try it before having an opinion?

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ive never done heroin, does that mean i should try it before having an opinion?

Well you can have an opinion on aspects of heroin, but not about what it's like to do it. So your opinion, although valid, is limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well you can have an opinion on aspects of heroin, but not about what it's like to do it. So your opinion, although valid, is limited.
    Yes but not worthless!

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yes but not worthless!

Correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 seekirktree

Time for me to way in here with my big balls and contribute to this testosterone fueled pissing contest.

Let me start by saying I have been training for over 30 years in MA's. Boxing,Judo, Kenpo Karate,Ninjitsu, Aikido and Taiji.

If you want get fit and are competitive, boxing, Judo are fantastic.

If you want to be 'balanced' and find inner calm Taiji and Aikido

Improve you kicking and learn some good grappling Ninjitsu and Kenpo.

Now you are on the street you need to forget all that stuff and do Self Defense. All the rest gets you fit and teaches discipline and fighting with skill and developing character. Nothing wrong with that.

Self defense courses need to be quick to learn and effective. What does that mean. It means just that.

How to read the situation on the ground.

How the potential perp is thinking and reasons for aggressive behavior.

Consequences of defending yourself legally. How to make sure you look like the victim on camera but come out as being a person protecting themselves not the aggressor.

Controlling your adrenaline.

De-escalation of the situation.

When my martial art training failed 20 years ago on the street.
    I reflected and did a short one day a week course for a couple of months back in the early 1990's with Brian McCarthy that has saved me since a number of times both here and abroad. Not the 1000's of empty air punches or hours spent sparring and grappling. The weapon between my ears. The brain and thinking, not my fists, elbows or feet!!!!

I did a refresher Self defense course with P Cummisky which is based on Krav Maga, however he is trained in Kenpo and BJJ too . I must sound like a sales man on commission for him but what he is doing is very real, very effective . He is both technically proficient and intelligent. Yes, it is just a 12 week course but after just one class a lady I know used what she had learned and walked away from a nasty situation intact. Self defense is not about winning but walking away intact

So if you want to get fit do Thaibo , if you want to walk away in tact train under Brian McCarthy Parnell Street he does self defense or Paddy Cummisky in Krav Maga Ireland. I would not be typing this if it wasn't for what they taught me in short courses. Paddy gives a money back guarantee so you wouldn't be wasting your money . Wasting time? quit wasting time typing here and train with these guys . Find out for yourselves.

SKT

Advertisement