Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

he resisted arrest, so the cops were quite right to take him by force.
    what would you do? call his mom.

unless you've been in that situation, dealing with drugged out head bangers, you have no idea what you are talking about..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

he resisted arrest, so the cops were quite right to take him by force.
    what would you do? call his mom.

unless you've been in that situation, dealing with drugged out head bangers, you have no idea what you are talking about..

I take it beating someone to death for allegedly resisting arrest is acceptable for you?, did you actually watch the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

There is 1 poster here and he is entitled to his opinion of which i respect even though i don't agree but the fact's are there in the video capture with audio extension and this was shown in court in Fullerton and i see a man being murdered with the help of others so imo the truth is clear as day in Technicolor, why anyone can say different is mind boggling.

As disturbing as the video capture is to watch, i recommend people to watch it if they can before posting comments here.

Make your own mind up and don't go by "my" or anyone else's comment's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea it's one of them posts: multi-quote bonanza!
    I'm not sure if you're talking about the cops who have been charged or all the cops.
    Yea, talking about the original two cops.
    But then drawing on my own experiences people will scream and plead all sorts while still having some intend of fighting you ~ in this instance I think the man was fighting back, which is a silly thing to do with cops regardless where they are.

I'll defer to your judgement on what people may say to get out of a situation, but it really doesn't seem like he is fighting back. It seems like he is being told to do one thing while being simultaneously obstructed from doing so i.e. hands behind the back. The tone of his voice suggests he is in complete submission.
    I viewed the clip, and the hospital photos taken afterwards and as horrific as the photos are there is nothing to say some of those injuries didn't happen before the arrest ~ homeless people are usually in pretty bad shape, they're routinely beat up by their own. They're kicked and spat on by passers by etc. Its rare I'd meet a homeless person who isn't showing signs of a recent fight.

I'm not sure what the point of this is as you know that his death was caused by injuries sustained from the police officers.
    I'd like to think the had the cop #1 known the guy had mental health problems he's have de-escalated the situation from the get-go, but his body language makes me think he was nervous and didn't know the guy.

Is this the cop that was standing over the homeless guy with fists clenched vying for a chance to put them through him as he threatened him? He didn't look too nervous to me, only anxious to let out his frustrations on this guy.

I understand your background, but I think why I reply to you here is [EDIT: because I have college work to do] and that even though you do not condone the original two officers, the underlying tone of the posts suggests a level of understanding for what they did based on practice, yet for me it's just plain clear that they wanted all the trouble, they wanted it to get rough, and they knew where they were going with it. I also doubt that they did not know him.

I take it beating someone to death for allegedly resisting arrest is acceptable for you?, did you actually watch the video?

i've watched it 3 times.
    and i have absolutely no issue with the cop's response.
    the guy continued to resist, after repeated requests to calm down.
    it took 5 large cops to subdue him. this guy was no Mother Teresa.

perhaps if we had more police like them patrolling our streets at weekends, we might have more respect for law and order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Took 2 big cops to kill him I think you mean. Could you put your hands behind your back when someone is sitting on you?

i've watched it 3 times.

perhaps if we had more police like them patrolling our streets at weekends, we might have more respect for law and order.

Ignore this Troll.

Took 2 big cops to kill him I think you mean. Could you put your hands behind your back when someone is sitting on you?

nonsense.
    it's quite clear the guy would not put his hands behind his back and allow the 2 cops to handcuff him. (16.25)
    also before that he clearly did not comply with a request to lie on the ground, and instead ran off. (15.44)

i have zero sympathy for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i've watched it 3 times.

yeah great response from the first 2 cops in that video, i particularly like how the first one put on the latex loves while telling the man sitting down that he was going to beat the crap out of him, now thats a proper police officer that is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

nonsense.
    it's quite clear the guy would not put his hands behind his back and allow the 2 cops to handcuff him. (16.25)
    also before that he clearly did not comply with a request to lie on the ground, and instead ran off. (15.44)

Clearly there is a belief in the judiciary that the two officers arrested went too far, however.

Of course, force is necessary at times when policing.

The difference here is, they used excessive force and killed a man. Being allowed to use force when necessary does not = being allowed to keep going to the point where you kill somebody.

Hope the fúcking scumbags get adequate sentences, although I don't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I understand your background, but I think why I reply to you here is [EDIT: because I have college work to do] and that even though you do not condone the original two officers, the underlying tone of the posts suggests a level of understanding for what they did based on practice, yet for me it's just plain clear that they wanted all the trouble, they wanted it to get rough, and they knew where they were going with it. I also doubt that they did not know him.

I hate multi-quote so excuse me :o

Dealing with the last bit first, they may have indeed known the guy but might have been ignorant of his mental health problems, we don't know that.

Did they want trouble?.. Probably ~ can I use another saying I go by 'Don't trouble trouble and trouble won't trouble you'.

Like I said I'm not condoning or excusing the actions of cop #1, and probably not cop #2. But as I said I can only draw on my own experience and can identify with the actions of the other cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Being allowed to use force when necessary does not = being allowed to keep going to the point where you kill somebody.

Actually it does when circumstances call for it. That's why they carry guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

MagicSean wrote: »

Apologies, I was speaking about this particular instance, and not in general, should have clarified that. :o

In this instance, they clearly were not at a stage where killing the person was necessary.

And forgive my lack of knowledge on tazering, but does it have a de-stressing effect on an individual who is clearly stressed (stressed out of his mind, calling for his dad)?

I would have thought being tazered and being told to sit still simultaneously is a bit of an oxymoron? Would someone's hands not be harder to control while being tazered repeatedly?

I could be completely wrong on the effects of tazering though...

MagicSean wrote: »

yeah but not for a situation like that guy where he did feck all really, he was no danger to anyone

yeah great response from the first 2 cops in that video, i particularly like how the first one put on the latex loves while telling the man sitting down that he was going to beat the crap out of him, now thats a proper police officer that is :rolleyes:

Get real.
    many of these homeless people are positive for HIV and/or Hep. many have open wounds which would be highly infectious.

if i was about to manhandle someone like this, i would also put on protective gloves.
    personally i would also wear a face mask.

Get real.
    many of these homeless people are positive for HIV and/or Hep. many have open wounds which would be highly infectious.

if i was about to manhandle someone like this, i would also put on protective gloves.

while telling the guy you are about to kick the ****e of him, go away troll

Ah you're talking through your arse and haven't been on either side of the fence so.

Anyone who has had any kind of life experience can't have viewed, listened to and read what happened to the man and not feel some sympathy for him.

while telling the guy you are about to kick the ****e of him, go away troll

yes i would make it very clear to him that he needs to comply, or he will face severe coercive action. one could also quote the subsection of the Law Enforcement act applicable in these situations.

i might be wrong but somehow i dont think this guy would appreciate my choice of language. like i said unless you are faced with dealing with some guy drugged out of his head, possibly being highly infectious with HIV, TB, or Hep you have little idea what you are talking about.

it's very easy to sit safely behind your PC and to pontificate & judge the cops who have to face extremely dangerous situations on a daily basis.

i might be wrong but somehow i dont think this guy would appreciate my choice of language. like i said unless you are faced with dealing with some guy drugged out of his head, possibly being highly infectious with HIV, TB, or Hep you have little idea what you are talking about.

So come on, what experiences are you drawing from so?.

• Advertisement

From a guy with no sympathy for the man who died, I doubt there are any experiences, relevant or not that he draws from.

From a guy with no sympathy for the man who died, I doubt there are any experiences, relevant or not that he draws from.

I hope its not paragraph five of post #266 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

nonsense.

do what we say or die? sound like justice to me

do what we say or die? sound like justice to me

no. do what we say or we will make you do it.
    what's the alternative?

blow the guy a kiss, just walk away and say "oh well if you dont wish to be arrested, then i suppose we'll just get back into our patrol car and head back to the station".

are you living in the real world?
    i think you're spending too much time at your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

yes i would make it very clear to him that he needs to comply, or he will face severe coercive action. one could also quote the subsection of the Law Enforcement act applicable in these situations.

it's very easy to sit safely behind your PC and to pontificate & judge the cops who have to face extremely dangerous situations on a daily basis.

Well they have not help themselves too much considering how they acted, there is nothing left for me to do but pontificate & judge.

what's the alternative?

blow the guy a kiss, just walk away and say "oh well if you dont wish to be arrested, then i suppose we'll just get back into our patrol car and head back to the station".

i think the laws of physics might have a problem getting a guys arm behind his back when you have 6 cops sitting on top while repeatedly tasering the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

what's the alternative?

ill ignore the insult for now
    the police can use adequate force not enough to kill a man
    the behavior in the video shows that the police were intent on doing damage nothing they did was justifiable
    you don't have to do whatever a cop says or surrender all you rights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Get real.

I work with homeless people, most don't have Hiv/hep or open wounds.
    I rarely wear protective gloves unless I specifically have too and never wear a face mask.

Get real.

I would do the same if i ever met you in public that's for sure. I'm just happy you are not an employee of the HSE.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    I would do the same if i ever met you in public that's for sure. I'm just happy you are not an employee of the HSE.

probably is :pac:

Advertisement