Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ChnirpyDerp

kmf2012 wrote: »
    I booked my health screening for next week and gunna sort Garda vetting later on, luckily I got Hep B test last year and garda vetting aswell so im not nervous but yeah it would be such a stinger! :P what uni are u going to?
    I'm going to Trinity, and yourself? It'd be awesome if a few of us already know each other going in hah, because its only like 123 in the class anyway!:D
    Looking forward to Freshers week though, I'm gonna join everything from Rock climbing to Snail Rehabilitation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

yoppo wrote: »
    Trust me I've looked at all the options! As for repeating final year chem no thanks!! Me and chemistry don't get along and it's been nearly four years since I looked at any advanced chem!

I'm going for the mature route purely based on the fact I could possibly get a loan easier if I studied here then abroad.

Next choice is Italy & Malta due to their fees being very low.... Then if push comes to shove I'll join my friend in Prague.

Are you studying in a med school here? Did you get in via the LC or mature?

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not in med school right now but I'm starting Graduate Entry Medicine come September :) Nah got it via GradMed, not by mature student or LC route. I just gave the LC path 1 shot, didn't get it, moved on and decided for GEM route so I'm here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Did anyone themselves, or know of someone who got into medicine this year (or other years) through HEAR or DARE?
    If so, what points- LC and HPAT or combined did they achieve?

Would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

How do you book the health screening and organise garda vetting? Does UCD organise it or do we do it ourselves? Im so confused!

AislingBo wrote: »
    How do you book the health screening and organise garda vetting? Does UCD organise it or do we do it ourselves? Im so confused!

Did you not get contacted by UCD via email?? I got the Garda vetting form in the post and all the info on the health screen. I paid for the health screen in UCD and going in for it on Monday

"Please note that ALL students EU and NON EU must attend an initial clinic at the Student Health Service for a number of blood tests and due to the costs associated with this a full refund cannot be given to any student. Blood tests taken by General Practitioners outside of UCD will not be accepted."

So don't do blood tests outside UCD because they won't be valid. Then again I'm a GradMed student going in now, so they might have not sent it out for you guys. Probably different dates.

Garda vetting forms are sent out to us (I got them in the post) and they're filled out and sent to UCD (NOT Garda station). So don't do it at the station.

If you want PM me your email, I'll forward you the UCD email that explains it. You also should get an info pack by post which includes garda vetting forms, how to fill it out etc and info on the Health Screen :) UCD seems* like they did a very good job organising this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭AislingBo

Hypnos wrote: »
    Did you not get contacted by UCD via email?? I got the Garda vetting form in the post and all the info on the health screen. I paid for the health screen in UCD and going in for it on Monday

"Please note that ALL students EU and NON EU must attend an initial clinic at the Student Health Service for a number of blood tests and due to the costs associated with this a full refund cannot be given to any student. Blood tests taken by General Practitioners outside of UCD will not be accepted."

So don't do blood tests outside UCD because they won't be valid. Then again I'm a GradMed student going in now, so they might have not sent it out for you guys. Probably different dates.

Garda vetting forms are sent out to us (I got them in the post) and they're filled out and sent to UCD (NOT Garda station). So don't do it at the station.

If you want PM me your email, I'll forward you the UCD email that explains it. You also should get an info pack by post which includes garda vetting forms, how to fill it out etc and info on the Health Screen :) UCD seems* like they did a very good job organising this.

thanks a mill! I havent gotten them but im undergrad so maybe theyre on the way? Ill PM you my email anyway if you could send me the stuff it'd be great thanks...just so I know where Im at!

Has anyone going into undergrad med got this info yet please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Broonag

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for months without an account, but this is my first time ever posting, just because everyone here seems pretty helpful so I thought I'd ask something that's bothering me.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with NUI Galway claiming that full EU fees are due for the first year Med course? Logged on this evening to see what the damage was and nearly fell off my chair. It could always be a glitch, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else is the same.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Broonag wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for months without an account, but this is my first time ever posting, just because everyone here seems pretty helpful so I thought I'd ask something that's bothering me.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with NUI Galway claiming that full EU fees are due for the first year Med course? Logged on this evening to see what the damage was and nearly fell off my chair. It could always be a glitch, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else is the same.

Thank you!

Yeah the amount due is over €7000?, but it could be because we are in a holding bay until they sort out who wants premed. We can't register properly until next week when that's sorted.

Thank you!

This is the exact thing that happened to me at UCD for my undergrad degree. I went into their admin building (registry) and the people fixed for me. In my case there was a problem on the CAO end of things but who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Thank you!

Are you an undergraduate ? Im starting med in Nuig and still Havent heard anything . . . Where did you get your login details ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Chem94

Thank you!

I can only speak for UCC, but mine stayed like that till the government paid the fees to the college in February

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mocker2012

Are you an undergraduate ? Im starting med in Nuig and still Havent heard anything . . . Where did you get your login details ?

NUIG registration opened on thursday online. Enter CAO no. and they give you a temporary password. But meds can't register fully until next week when 5/6 year courses have been assigned.

mocker2012 wrote: »
    Yeah the amount due is over €7000?, but it could be because we are in a holding bay until they sort out who wants premed. We can't register properly until next week when that's sorted.
    Oh! Phew, I was getting really worried, because I was born outside the country, but I'm still Irish, so I thought that could have had something to do with it... I also definitely wouldn't be able to go to college if it cost me that much. :/
    This is the exact thing that happened to me at UCD for my undergrad degree. I went into their admin building (registry) and the people fixed for me. In my case there was a problem on the CAO end of things but who knows...
    That's really great to know as well, thank you, I'm sure it's just an admin issue as well! (hopefully) Did you do undergrad med in UCD..? :)
    I am indeed an undergraduate, first time applying for anything through the CAO, hence I'm a little panicky. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is yet to receive any info however, my email has been very expectant all week. :P I read up on how to register on their website, they have an online guide here: http://content.yudu.com/A1os2c/Regengish/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=
    Not sure if that will open for you, but I hope it helps if so! If not there's loads on their website. :)

That's really great to know as well, thank you, I'm sure it's just an admin issue as well! (hopefully) Did you do undergrad med in UCD..? :)

Nope :) Just finished a degree in Chemistry. Doing Graduate Medicine now (starting in 3 weeks :) ) So I'm just as excited about all this stuff! :D

Nope :) Just finished a degree in Chemistry. Doing Graduate Medicine now (starting in 3 weeks :) ) So I'm just as excited about all this stuff! :D
    Oh wow, that's really cool, that was my back-up plan actually! :D I can't actually believe how soon it all begins, it's frightening! But, really really exciting too. :D

Oh wow, that's really cool, that was my back-up plan actually! :D I can't actually believe how soon it all begins, it's frightening! But, really really exciting too. :D

It was my backup :) I didn't make it through the Undergrad route.

Hey guys could you help me out on a little dilemma I have to do with choosing between the Student Selected Modules and the Language Modules.
    Initially, I wanted to do the Language Modules (either French or German) because they seem useful and I never did a third language in secondary school. The downside is, they might be so difficult that I'd be hard pressed to do well in my Medicine studies AND the Language studies :(. I don't really want do any of it half-assed and I might just do a (relatively) easier module like, I dunno, Creative Writing? IF the Language is too hard..
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOO can anyone confirm if its manageable to do a language like French or German along with Medicine? Which is the easier of the two?

Edit: This is in Trinity btw, I don't know if all the schools do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Hi everyone,

I'll be sitting the HPAT for the third time this year. I was just wondering if any of you have advice for me in regards to preparation? I did med-entry the last two times yet, my score dropped this year. So, I'm not sure if I'm the one at fault or not! I have the necessary LC points but I've decided to repeat it anyway just in case I'd miss out by 1/2 points that i could have gained in the LC :)

Thank you,

SuperSayian

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AverageGirl

Anyone get Med offers with low Leaving Cert points 520/530ish??

Similarly anyone not get a Med offer with high Leaving Cert points 600/610ish???

I only needed 535 from my leaving cert for UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Holly_C

Hi everyone,

I'll be sitting the HPAT for the third time this year. I was just wondering if any of you have advice for me in regards to preparation? I did med-entry the last two times yet, my score dropped this year. So, I'm not sure if I'm the one at fault or not! I have the necessary LC points but I've decided to repeat it anyway just in case I'd miss out by 1/2 points that i could have gained in the LC :)

Thank you,

SuperSayian
    Hello! I sat the HPAT this year and got 210, 98th percentile. As regards to prep, I did the IOE two day course and although I didn't find the course great they gave me so much material to practice with. I'm not sure how med-entry works but the IOE course also consisted of a practice exam in which you knew where you lay against the other 100 people on the course and what areas needed improving.
    They gave me six practice tests and so I used two just working each question out fully and getting the feel for the methods and means by which to answer the questions.
    Then six weeks before the day I started spending Saturday mornings doing the tests timed and making sure I was in the allotted times. I would then spend the following Sunday correcting every question and making sure I understood everywhere I went wrong.
    Then two days before the exam I did 20 questions from each section. The day before I took a break and just mentally prepared myself about the sounds and the atmosphere that would be in the room, something I'm sure you're familiar with now.
    I think the main thing is to get in the zone on the day. Just before we started I gave myself a horrifically cheesy pep talk and then I got on with it!
    Best of luck this year, third time's a charm ;)
    Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you want anymore info etc :)

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Thank you,

SuperSayian

Hey I did my Hpat this year, got 222 100th percentile and I used Med Entry. Did you do all the practice tests? I did 9 of them in the week before the Hpat, twas intense but worth it I think because my brain went into overdrive! And read ALL the answers for each question, even if you got it right, it helps SO much because you see alternative logic :).

Now someone ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!! I DEMAND IT! >:(
    Is it too specific? ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Hey I did my Hpat this year, got 222 100th percentile and I used Med Entry. Did you do all the practice tests? I did 9 of them in the week before the Hpat, twas intense but worth it I think because my brain went into overdrive! And read ALL the answers for each question, even if you got it right, it helps SO much because you see alternative logic :).

Have you joined the TCD Medicine Class of 2018 facebook group? There's been a huge long DISCUSSION almost about the languages/ssm module! 2nd years came and gave an opinion, and apparently languages in TCD are just an atrocious option anyway.
    You should check the post in the group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590067244360709/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Echo627

I''m off to do undegrad Med in NUIG. Anybody know what the story is with the Garda vetting/ health checks, when do we have to have them done and where etc.?

comeclosa wrote: »
    Have you joined the TCD Medicine Class of 2018 facebook group? There's been a huge long DISCUSSION almost about the languages/ssm module! 2nd years came and gave an opinion, and apparently languages in TCD are just an atrocious option anyway.
    You should check the post in the group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/590067244360709/
    Awesome thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

+1 for language options in TCD being a HORRENDOUS choice! I didn't do med (yet!) but i did study in Trinity and we had the same broad curriculum choices of languages. Anyone in my class who did a language option totally regretted it and bitched/moaned about it all year!:eek: I dodnt remember anyone keeping the language option on for second year! If you want to learn a language a waaaaay better bet is to do the free evening language courses for undergrads in trinity(im assuming they still run)...that way the grade doesnt count towards your degree/end of year etc so the pressure if off but you still get to learn it in uni! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Anyone in UCC registered yet? I got both emails, the one with my student number and my password, but my parents didn't have €2500 lying around late on a Friday night ;) so I'm registering tomorrow, am I right in saying Medicine students don't have to choose their elective when registering and do it directly through the college of medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corkboarder

Anyone in UCC registered yet? I got both emails, the one with my student number and my password, but my parents didn't have €2500 lying around late on a Friday night ;) so I'm registering tomorrow, am I right in saying Medicine students don't have to choose their elective when registering and do it directly through the college of medicine?

Ya I did it last night, you don't have to choose your modules, I think you choose either on the orientation day or within your first week. I also read somewhere that you're able to change module within the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ya I did it last night, you don't have to choose your modules, I think you choose either on the orientation day or within your first week. I also read somewhere that you're able to change module within the first month.

What are you thinking of choosing? I'm sort of tempted with the Advanced Irish Module, I think doing the Beginners Irish one would be taking the p|ss, and also slightly useless, when I got an A2 in HL in the Leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chem94

You'll pick them sometime in your first month and you'll have to say why you want it, not sure about how easy they are to change

• Advertisement

+1 for language options in TCD being a HORRENDOUS choice! I didn't do med (yet!) but i did study in Trinity and we had the same broad curriculum choices of languages. Anyone in my class who did a language option totally regretted it and bitched/moaned about it all year!:eek: I dodnt remember anyone keeping the language option on for second year! If you want to learn a language a waaaaay better bet is to do the free evening language courses for undergrads in trinity(im assuming they still run)...that way the grade doesnt count towards your degree/end of year etc so the pressure if off but you still get to learn it in uni! :)
    Thanks! You may have helped me dodge a bullet :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement