Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2013*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

fewtins wrote: »
    Well, it's unfair on everybody really, cause the people repeating don't want to have to be sitting it for the second and third time either.

Well, it's more unfair on the people that are doing the Leaving Cert and HPAT simultaneously as they are left competing with some people who have spent the whole year studying for their HPAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

sherlook wrote: »
    Its not true you can repeat the hpat as usual. Friend of mines mothe rang the hpat head office to find out they said it was a rumour.

It is true.. It's not a rumor

http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=110&a=3770

It's on the RCSI website. The change is effective from this year on.

"Change 2: HPAT-Ireland Examination Results Valid for One Year Only. Effective from 2013
    The results of HPAT-Ireland examinations sat in 2013 and subsequent years will only be valid for a single year for admission to undergraduate medical courses. This means that it will not be possible to present results achieved in the 2013 sitting of the HPAT-Ireland test for admission to undergraduate medical courses in 2014. Applicants who sat the HPAT-Ireland exam in 2012 will still be able to present their 2012 HPAT-Ireland result when applying for admission to undergraduate medicine in 2013."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ChnirpyDerp

Hypnos wrote: »

"Change 2: HPAT-Ireland Examination Results Valid for One Year Only. Effective from 2013
    The results of HPAT-Ireland examinations sat in 2013 and subsequent years will only be valid for a single year for admission to undergraduate medical courses. This means that it will not be possible to present results achieved in the 2013 sitting of the HPAT-Ireland test for admission to undergraduate medical courses in 2014. Applicants who sat the HPAT-Ireland exam in 2012 will still be able to present their 2012 HPAT-Ireland result when applying for admission to undergraduate medicine in 2013."
    This change sickened the hell out of me, because once I got a good HPAT score I thought I'd only have to repeat the LC again, but the thought of not getting enough in the LC would mean I'd have to do both for sure :mad:. THAT kept me up at night until results day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Funny how the one year they decide to change the hpat, even slightly, coincides with the first real indications of points leveling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Anyone know when we get all this immunisation stuff sorted, like do we do it now or when we start? I'm sure we'll be informed by the various colleges but I'm just curious. :p

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Anyone know when we get all this immunisation stuff sorted, like do we do it now or when we start? I'm sure we'll be informed by the various colleges but I'm just curious. :p

You'll be informed about it soon :) You don't go off and take the matter into your own hands. They have it organised :)

You'll be informed about it soon :) You don't go off and take the matter into your own hands. They have it organised :)

Really? I was under the impression that we had to go to our own GPs and whatnot but hey all the better if it's organised for me. :)

Really? I was under the impression that we had to go to our own GPs and whatnot but hey all the better if it's organised for me. :)

You can do it at your GP but why make it more complicated. It's not just hep vaccination. It's blood tests and a whole health screening so I'm going the easy way :) I assume it's done sometime when we start.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone know how much the registration fees are for NUIG ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm booked in to see my GP Thursday morning for it, TCD have the guide up for it here, just for those curious, it'll be basically the same for all other schools anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

I would love your opinion people. I am a mature student (27) and just done my LC. I got 415 in 2003 and 530 this year. I applied to do medicine but my HPAT was crap and I was hoping for 550. I have a degree in chemistry so I done pass English, Honours Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Ag and Home Ec.

Honours Maths, Physics, Ag and Home Ec are all new for me and I managed to get a C2, B2, B1 and B3 respectively. I got an A2 in physics in the mocks so I was disappointed with that result. I got an A1 in both chemistry and biology. My best friend said because I am a mature student and I hand picked my subjects I should have got 600 and that medicine will be too hard for me? What do you guys think? I told him after I got my HPAT results early in mid March early April and saw I done bad my head dropped a bit so my motivation dipped a slight bit.

He said he's being honest and I respect him but surely I'm not screwed?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

yoppo wrote: »
    My best friend said because I am a mature student and I hand picked my subjects I should have got 600 and that medicine will be too hard for me? What do you guys think?

Is your friend one of those experts on everything?
    I think you need to ignore him and if you want to try again, try again.

spurious wrote: »
    Is your friend one of those experts on everything?
    I think you need to ignore him and if you want to try again, try again.

He thinks he knows everything. I'm not going to try the LC again but I will do the HPAT again and spend now until March preparing for it. Entering as a mature student is what I am trying now.

Hey yoppo, this is just my opinion, but I would say you should just do what YOU really want. Getting 530 isn't exactly garbage you know!
    If HPAT is your problem I would definitely recommend M*dEntry, the massive pool of practice questions train you and make you much more confident. As for how much material worth they have, I got 222 in the HPAT on my first go. If I got 530 in the L.C I'd get in anywhere.
    Another option is the GEM route which you could definitely consider with your degree.
    If all fails in Ireland, the UK is still viable, specifically Queens up north(I messed up the interview :P).
    Basically I'm sayin that you have many ways to get in and you are most likely capable for medicine, the course seems to be more hard work and determination than a genius intellect :L. Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck! :)

I would love your opinion people. I am a mature student (27) and just done my LC. I got 415 in 2003 and 530 this year. I applied to do medicine but my HPAT was crap and I was hoping for 550. I have a degree in chemistry so I done pass English, Honours Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Ag and Home Ec.

Honours Maths, Physics, Ag and Home Ec are all new for me and I managed to get a C2, B2, B1 and B3 respectively. I got an A2 in physics in the mocks so I was disappointed with that result. I got an A1 in both chemistry and biology. My best friend said because I am a mature student and I hand picked my subjects I should have got 600 and that medicine will be too hard for me? What do you guys think? I told him after I got my HPAT results early in mid March early April and saw I done bad my head dropped a bit so my motivation dipped a slight bit.

I have a chemisty degree too. Have you though of Graduate Entry Medicine?? I'm starting in 3 weeks. Sounds like a very suitable option for you and its a 4 year course though it does hit you more on the wallet.

I have a chemisty degree too. Have you though of Graduate Entry Medicine?? I'm starting in 3 weeks. Sounds like a very suitable option for you and its a 4 year course though it does hit you more on the wallet.

Only got a 2:2 mate, 58% in final year.... they wouldn't give me the extra 2%!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

If you're planning on applying through mature entry have a look at this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056802190

I applied this year so just PM me if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jamieflood

I got offered human health and disease! I am so confused what to do? :(

sorry if u dont mind me asking how much did u have in the hpat

Only got a 2:2 mate, 58% in final year.... they wouldn't give me the extra 2%!

Damn. Well I assume you wouldn't be up for repeating your final year of chem to bump up the GPA? It would be a little overboard maybe (if your uni allows it at all) :/ Apart from that if you really want to do med, did you try to go Mature Student route.

And I have 1 final suggestion, if applicable to you. A couple of UK med schools accept a 2.2 degree for Graduate Med as long as you have a high GAMSAT score to compensate. I know it's probably not an option for most due to the expenses etc but it's a possibility.

Damn. Well I assume you wouldn't be up for repeating your final year of chem to bump up the GPA? It would be a little overboard maybe (if your uni allows it at all) :/ Apart from that if you really want to do med, did you try to go Mature Student route.

And I have 1 final suggestion, if applicable to you. A couple of UK med schools accept a 2.2 degree for Graduate Med as long as you have a high GAMSAT score to compensate. I know it's probably not an option for most due to the expenses etc but it's a possibility.

Trust me I've looked at all the options! As for repeating final year chem no thanks!! Me and chemistry don't get along and it's been nearly four years since I looked at any advanced chem!

I'm going for the mature route purely based on the fact I could possibly get a loan easier if I studied here then abroad.

Next choice is Italy & Malta due to their fees being very low.... Then if push comes to shove I'll join my friend in Prague.

Are you studying in a med school here? Did you get in via the LC or mature?

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Could I use my 2013 Leaving Cert results and 2014 Hpat results to reapply for medicine in 2014? And if so, would I have to meet the 2013 points or the new 2014 points?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Anyone get Med offers with low Leaving Cert points 520/530ish??

Similarly anyone not get a Med offer with high Leaving Cert points 600/610ish???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Anyone get Med offers with low Leaving Cert points 520/530ish??

Similarly anyone not get a Med offer with high Leaving Cert points 600/610ish???
    if you get 500 but come up with an amazing hpat 240+ you will get in similarly if you get 625 but with a ****ty hpat you wont get in i got 605 but 145 in the hpat so this basically missed up my chances this year

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

Anyone get Galway nd are thinking about deferring the year?

ahmdoda wrote: »
    if you get 500 but come up with an amazing hpat 240+ you will get in similarly if you get 625 but with a ****ty hpat you wont get in i got 605 but 145 in the hpat so this basically missed up my chances this year
    To be honest though, at least you've got a solid 605 score in the L.C, which is valid for multiple years. Its far better than getting a 240+ Hpat and a horrific L.C which would mean you would have to repeat both thanks to the recent Hpat changes! Don't despair man, repeats have a great chance of improving drastically in the Hpat :pac:

waiting4 wrote: »
    Anyone get Galway nd are thinking about deferring the year?

I don't think you're able to defer med in general outside of there possibly being a very good reason. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone get any literature from the colleges about registration or orientation yet ? I know nuig is supposed to be starting on the 7th and i still Havent heard anything . . . Should i be worried or is this normal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

^ nah I'm the same, they just haven't sent out stuff yet, nobody I know doing any course there has gotten anything yet! We're supposed to get something today or tomorrow I think!

Yeah I've got nothing yet either. Has anyone done their Garda vetting and/or health screening yet? It almost feels like another REAL test because if you have that Hepatitis B or whatever letter, you won't be allowed in :eek:!
    Imagine finding out that you can't be a doctor AND have some disease in one day :mad:.
    I'm just super nervous now. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

Yeah I've got nothing yet either. Has anyone done their Garda vetting and/or health screening yet? It almost feels like another REAL test because if you have that Hepatitis B or whatever letter, you won't be allowed in :eek:!
    Imagine finding out that you can't be a doctor AND have some disease in one day :mad:.
    I'm just super nervous now. :confused:

I booked my health screening for next week and gunna sort Garda vetting later on, luckily I got Hep B test last year and garda vetting aswell so im not nervous but yeah it would be such a stinger! :P what uni are u going to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement